Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Vikings: Greenway going great again

[b][i][size=13pt]Vikings: Greenway going great again

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune
    Last update: August 26, 2008 - 8:58 PM

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings: Greenway going great again

I wouldn't say that Greenway lit up the first two preseason games but against the Steelers he looked awesome. I really think the year removed from surgery has payed dividends coupled with knowledge of the scheme. He's doing alot more reacting instead of thinking and I beleive thats the case with several of the guys that were first timers last season. Cedric Griffin is another guy flying around, (What do you know another 3rd year player, Ray Ray too!) he's very physical and he's starting to look like he did in college.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I'd stack our linebackers up against anybody's in this league. Great starters and/ possible probowl years for Chad and EJ. Then the youth we are cultivating as backups with Rufus, Erin, and special team monster Vinny with Heath who is hurt. With the front four we have it will be a great year for EJ, Ben, and Chad.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I'm really happy we drafted Chad Greenway in the first round of the 2006 Draft, and I think he has a bright future in Minny. The only other player I would have drafted instead of Greenway (considering which players that still were on the board) would have been A. Cromartie.

I'm also starting to believe that Greenway is a better linebacker than E.J. Hawk, who was selected much earlier in the first round by the Packers.

Here are Hawk and Greenway's numbers for the 2007 season in which they both played in all the games:

A.J. Hawk
    Year

Team

G
    Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds
    Avg
    Lng
    Green Bay Packers
    --

10 10.0

Chad Greenway
    Year

Team

G
    Avg
    Lng
    Minnesota Vikings

37T

Source: NFL.com

PS: Notice that Greenway and Hawk's numbers are incredible alike, it's almost scary!

They both had the exact same amount of tackles, both solo and assists, and they both have the same amount of passes deflected. LOL!

PS:PS: The statistics in the article posted in this thread are different. The author says that Greenway had 130 tackles, six takeaways and four forced fumbles. Which is even better than the stats at NFL.com. Don't know who's right..
    ???

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"HEY" wrote:
    I'm really happy we drafted Chad Greenway in the first round of the 2006 Draft, and I think he has a bright future in Minny. The only other player I would have drafted instead of Greenway (considering which players that still were on the board) would have been A. Cromartie.

I'm also starting to believe that Greenway is a better linebacker than E.J. Hawk, who was selected much earlier in the first round by the Packers.

Here are Hawk and Greenway's numbers for the 2007 season in which they both played in all the games:

A.J. Hawk
    Year

Team

G

Avg
    Lng
    Green Bay Packers

--

10 10.0

Chad Greenway
    Year

Team

G

Avg
    Lng
    Minnesota Vikings

37T

Source: NFL.com

PS: Notice that Greenway and Hawk's numbers are incredible alike, it's almost scary!

They both had the exact same amount of tackles, both solo and assists, and they both have the same amount of passes deflected. LOL!

PS:PS: The statistics in the article posted in this thread are different. The author says that Greenway had 130 tackles, six takeaways and four forced fumbles. Which is even better than the stats at NFL.com. Don't know who's right..

???
    Interesting.
    Here I thought Hawk was doing well better than Greenway.
    Another stat i would like to see is how many tackles for a loss and how many tackle attempts they had.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

There is a contingent on here who don't like/worry about Chads role in this scheme.

I am not one of them.
    He is only gonna get better over time and should really open some eyes this year.

I saw him split out wide with two WR's in the steelers game. Of course I couldn't see how much help the S gave him over the top (Whinny crashed down/blitzed) but the WR did not get a reception on either play.

Additionally, he pretty much shut Witten down in the first half of the Dallas game.
    If we had a better D he wouldn't have got off in the second half like he did.

Long story short, I like this cat and think he fits the scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

I think that as long as our line stays healthy both Chad and EJ are going to Hawaii this year 8)
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"carta4eva" wrote:
    I think that as long as our line stays healthy both Chad and EJ are going to Hawaii this year 8)
    Lets not forget about Ben here now.

He also gives this group a special dynamic. Probably not as adept as dropping back and covering a WR but he sure the heck can play the run and get to the QB just as fast as EJ can when he is asked to.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    There is a contingent on here who don't like/worry about Chads role in this scheme.

I am not one of them.
    He is only gonna get better over time and should really open some eyes this year.

I saw him split out wide with two WR's in the steelers game. Of course I couldn't see how much help the S gave him over the top (Whinny crashed down/blitzed) but the WR did not get a reception on either play.

Additionally, he pretty much shut Witten down in the first half of the Dallas game.
    If we had a better D he wouldn't have got off in the second half like he did.

Long story short, I like this cat and think he fits the scheme.
    Absolutely, Greenway should be one of the greater benefactors in our upgraded pass rush.
    He is a great cover LB and I would expect him to continue to get picks and break up passes.

His 105 tackles surprised me, didn't expect it to be that high.
    His skills are a great fit for a cover2 defense.
    I have seen him mess up on a couple running plays in preseason where he completely misread the play and left huge holes for the rb's.

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    Lets not forget about Ben here now.

He also gives this group a special dynamic. Probably not as adept as dropping back and covering a WR but he sure the heck can play the run and get to the QB just as fast as EJ can when he is asked to.
    Oh i definitely appreciate the awareness leber brings to our d, its just due to his place in the 'd' we won't be seeing the tackle #'s or turnover potential from him as from the other two and hence he cannot garner enough popular votes for the pro bowl, I have been watching the vikings all my life now, and have never felt so comfortable with the talent of the starters not to mention our depth in the linebacking crew ( I shudder to think of the days of Chris Claiborne, Henri Crockett, and Greg Biekert :-\) glad those days are over!
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast