Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings Grade Well In 5-Year Study Of NFL Drafts

http://blog.vikings.com/2011/04/05/vikings-grade-well-in-5-year-study-of-nfl-drafts/

Of course this came from the Vikings.com website so my guess is if there is an article that says they are in the bottom 7 we will never see it there but....

Fortifying the argument for point #3 is a recent study conducted by CSN Bay Area and writer Matt Maiocco in which they analyze the past 5 NFL drafts (2006-2010). In their study, the Vikings ranked 7th among the NFL’s 32 teams, an impressive accomplishment and one that helped the Vikings win back-to-back division championships in 2008 and 2009.
    Here is the commentary next to the Vikings in the study: “Peterson, Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin have been to Pro Bowls. In fact, Peterson has been to Pro Bowls in his first four seasons after being chosen No. 7 overall in 2007. The Vikings have not missed with their first-round picks. Defensive end Ray Edwards, a fourth-round pick in 2006, has 26.5 sacks over the past four seasons. During this time, McCauley, a third-round pick in 2007, is the only player selected before the fourth round who is no longer on the roster. The only problem with their drafts over the past five years is that they have not set themselves up at quarterback. The Vikings selected Tarvaris Jackson with the 64th pick in 2006, but then opted on luring Brett Favre out of ‘retirement’ the past two years.”
    Here is where other NFC North teams ranked: Packers (1st), Bears (16th) and Lions (19th).

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings Grade Well In 5-Year Study Of NFL Drafts

No arguing we seem to hit gold with our top pick more often than not. 3rd and on, it's pretty hit or miss.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093230
    No arguing we seem to hit gold with our top pick more often than not. 3rd and on, it's pretty hit or miss.
    Hmmmmmmmmm. From the article.

Number of picks: 32
    Still on team: 22
    Starters: 11

Read more: Maiocco: Five-year study of NFL drafts
    Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
    During this time, McCauley, a third-round pick in 2007, is the only player selected before the fourth round who is no longer on the roster.
    From Draft History.com (with my comments added)

2010 1 2 2 34 Chris Cook DB Virginia
    2 2 19 51 Toby Gerhart RB Stanford
    3 4 2 100 Everson Griffin DE USC
    4 5 30 161 Chris DeGeare G Wake Forest
    [strike]5 5 36 167 Nathan Triplett LB Minnesota [/strike] Good Pick - To many other good LB'rs
    6 6 30 199 Joe Webb QB Alabama-Birmingham
    7 7 7 214 Mickey Shuler TE Penn State
    8 7 30 237 Ryan D'Imperio LB Rutgers
    2009 1 1 22 22 Percy Harvin WR Florida
    2 2 22 54 Phil Loadholt T Oklahoma
    3 3 22 86 Asher Allen DB Georgia
    4 5 14 150 Jasper Brinkley LB South Carolina
    5 7 22 231 Jamarca Sanford DB Mississippi
    2008 1 2 12 43 Tyrell Johnson DB Arkansas State
    [strike]2 5 2 137 John David Booty QB USC [/strike] Terrible Pick
    3 5 17 152 Letroy Guion DT Florida State
    4 6 21 187 John Sullivan C Notre Dame
    [strike]5 6 27 193 Jaymar Johnson WR Jackson State [/strike] Decent player - To many other good picks.
    2007 1 1 7 7 Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma
    2 2 12 44 Sidney Rice WR South Carolina
    [strike]3 3 8 72 Marcus McCauley DB Fresno State [/strike] Played well first year. Head case second year.
    4 4 3 102 Brian Robison DE Texas
    [strike]5 5 9 146 Aundrae Allison WR East Carolina [/strike] As with McCauley. Looked good but then turned into a head case
    [strike]6 6 2 176 Rufus Alexander LB Oklahoma [/strike] Good pick. To many good LB'rs ahead of him.
    [strike]7 7 7 217 Tyler Thigpen QB Coastal Carolina [/strike] Could still be on team if it wasn't for KC liking him more.
    8 7 23 233 Chandler Williams WR Florida International
    2006 1 1 17 17 Chad Greenway LB Iowa
    2 2 16 48 Cedric Griffin DB Texas
    3 2 19 51 Ryan Cook C New Mexico
    4 2 32 64 Tarvaris Jackson QB Alabama State
    5 4 30 127 Ray Edwards DE Purdue
    [strike]6 5 17 149 Greg Blue DB Georgia [/strike] Good pick initially but really didn't flash enough to stick.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

well thanks to us trading this years 3rd then less chance of a hit this year
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093264

Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
    During this time, McCauley, a third-round pick in 2007, is the only player selected before the fourth round who is no longer on the roster.

[strike]5 5 36 167 Nathan Triplett LB Minnesota [/strike] Good Pick - To many other good LB'rs
    [strike]5 6 27 193 Jaymar Johnson WR Jackson State [/strike] Decent player - To many other good picks.
    [strike]3 3 8 72 Marcus McCauley DB Fresno State [/strike] Played well first year. Head case second year.
    [strike]5 5 9 146 Aundrae Allison WR East Carolina [/strike] As with McCauley. Looked good but then turned into a head case
    [strike]6 6 2 176 Rufus Alexander LB Oklahoma [/strike] Good pick. To many good LB'rs ahead of him.
    [strike]7 7 7 217 Tyler Thigpen QB Coastal Carolina [/strike] Could still be on team if it wasn't for KC liking him more.
    [strike]6 5 17 149 Greg Blue DB Georgia [/strike] Good pick initially but really didn't flash enough to stick.
    What does starter mean? We don't have good players so we stick marginal backups in?

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093284
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093264

What does starter mean? We don't have good players so we stick marginal backups in?
    LOL. Your a hard man to please. Of course when you are gutting a team and only adding to it via the draft you will have alot more rookies start. The point I think in all of this is that the FO pukes have had the lattitude to add Vets if they wanted to.

To date, the only places they have felt they needed to do that was for WR, RDE, QB, LG, Sam LB, and QB.

Everyone else (Vet wise) that have been added are because one of the starters (i.e Griff) went down and those guys were second tier vets that were let go by another team. In alot of instances (Jasper for EJ, Cook across the line except LT, Asher/McCauley for Whinny, etc, one of the draftees has stepped in and filled the void nicely.

Besides, I only listed the players cause he said 10. I wanted to see who the 10 were. By my count he is wrong by 2.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Brewtal is offline Starter

Last years draft was a total bust. Not giving up on Gerhart and I do think that Webb is already better than Tj ever will be, but last years draft was nothing to wright home about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093290
    LOL. Your a hard man to please. Of course when you are gutting a team and only adding to it via the draft you will have alot more rookies start. The point I think in all of this is that the FO pukes have had the lattitude to add Vets if they wanted to.
    Yes I am, I'd like a great team for once, not a team that shows flashes of okness. What we've been doing has not been effective. We ignore key positions of need, and draft just because they're there.

Kinda be interesting to think of what our team would look like if we drafted a different player instead of Peterson. We had a RB who could get us 1200 yards, Filling a position of need instead of BPA, who knows?

Anyway
    To date, the only places they have felt they needed to do that was for WR, RDE, QB, LG, Sam LB, and QB.
    Those are some extremely important positions. but we choose to ignore them.

Everyone else (Vet wise) that have been added are because one of the starters (i.e Griff) went down and those guys were second tier vets that were let go by another team. In alot of instances (Jasper for EJ, Cook across the line except LT, Asher/McCauley for Whinny, etc, one of the draftees has stepped in and filled the void nicely.
    I wouldn't say either Asher OR McCauley filled in nicely. I don't get what people see in Asher, the dude can't cover, and he's marginal at tackling. McCauley was even worse. For a 3rd round pick, 3 years in, I'm expecting alot more from Asher at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093294
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093290
    Yes I am, I'd like a great team for once, not a team that shows flashes of okness. What we've been doing has not been effective. We ignore key positions of need, and draft just because they're there.

Kinda be interesting to think of what our team would look like if we drafted a different player instead of Peterson. We had a RB who could get us 1200 yards, Filling a position of need instead of BPA, who knows?

Anyway

Those are some extremely important positions. but we choose to ignore them.
    How can you say the signing of Vets is ignoring them? Bet Hutch, JA, Leber, and the Noodle would disagree with you.

On a side note, we have drafted high at almost all of those positions under this regime.

Rice, Greenway, Griff (LDE), DeGeare etc. In the end, there are only so many first and second round picks. As you yourself said, we are doing pretty good with those.

I wouldn't say either Asher OR McCauley filled in nicely. I don't get what people see in Asher, the dude can't cover, and he's marginal at tackling. McCauley was even worse. For a 3rd round pick, 3 years in, I'm expecting alot more from Asher at this point.
    They are both Cover 2 type players. If they could cover better they would be taken higher by teams that use their CB's in man to man coverage.

By the way, Asher was 7th on the team in tackles. Not bad for a kid that was "Filling in".

Vikings Stats

Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1093293
    Last years draft was a total bust. Not giving up on Gerhart and I do think that Webb is already better than Tj ever will be, but last years draft was nothing to wright home about.
    I think you have to look at last years draft in a different light than the previous years under this regime.

For the first time they felt that they had some pretty decent starters with some nice backups in almost all areas.

What they were looking to do last year was add depth to that roster with guys they knew would make the team.

Would they start right away? Heck no but they all had a good chance at making the team and adding reps as a ST's or primary backup if needed.

Alas, things went south in a quick hurry. Starting QB dinged from the beginning of the year, backup went out like the china doll he is. 3 starting lineman down for significant time. Both starting CB's out, starting S down, best WR out for half the year, second best WR out for several games for headaches etc etc etc.

In the end, several of those guys that were drafted last year stepped in as starters and did pretty damn good IMHO. A few stepped in and gave us much needed reps as backup/rotation guys at the end of the year when some other starters weren't producing.

A total bust, I think its a bit early to tell, but what I saw last year I don't think so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast