Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings Free Agency Notes

Vikings Free Agency Notes

Date: Mar 22, 2006

While the Vikings signed two more starters this week, there are plenty of other signings and visits that have a Vikings slant to them, including a reported visit to Winter Park today.

Former Tampa Bay quarterback Brian Griese signed a five-year deal with the Chicago Bears on Tuesday. The Bears aren’t expected to have Griese compete for the starting job, preferring to have Rex Grossman maintain that, but they would like Griese and Kyle Orton to compete for the No. 2 job.

Griese was rumored to be an interest of the Vikings as a backup to Brad Johnson, but those mentions might have been more agent-speak than serious consideration from the team. Indications were that the Vikings were concerned with Griese’s injury history and never did schedule a visit with him.

In a bit of a surprising move, the Vikings are reportedly visiting with free agent quarterback Mike McMahon on Wednesday, according to the Palm Beach Post. McMahon was recently released by the Philadelphia Eagles. He is also scheduled to visit the Broncos on Thursday.

Bet you never considered that the Vikings may have gotten good value by signing All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson to a seven-year, $49 million contract. “Value” isn’t typically a term associated with making a player the highest paid at his position.

But consider that on the evening Seattle declined to match Hutchinson’s offer from the Vikings, the Seahawks were busy signing linebacker Julian Peterson to a seven-year, $54 million deal with approximately $18.5 million in guaranteed money, including $10 million in 2006.

Hutchinson got $16 million in guaranteed money with a 2006 cap hit of $13 million.

While Peterson used to be one of the best outside linebackers in the league, he hasn’t been the same since suffering a torn Achilles in Week 5 of the 2004 season. Hutchinson, meanwhile, has never missed a game.

Surprisingly, the Vikings are said to be keeping in contact with free agent guard Stephen Neal, even after the Hutchinson signing. Neal is scheduled to take a free agent visit to the Houston Texans and has already completed visits with the Vikings and Bills.

Middle linebacker Sam Cowart is visiting with the Houston Texans this week. The Vikings didn’t attempt to re-sign Cowart, as they are expected to have a competition between Napoleon Harris, Dontarrious Thomas and Rod Davis at middle linebacker. The Texans are switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 scheme and are in need of a middle linebacker. Cowart has also played with the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets.

Vikings free agent kicker Paul Edinger visited with the New England Patriots, who lost clutch kicker Adam Vinatieri to the Indianapolis Colts. The Vikings replaced Edinger with former Green Bay Packers kicker Ryan Longwell on the first day of free agency.

Former Vikings center Melvin Fowler signed Tuesday with the Buffalo Bills. The Vikings didn’t have an interest in bringing back Fowler, who said at the end of the 2005 season that he wanted a chance to start. With Pro Bowl center Matt Birk returning from injury, Fowler wasn’t likely to get that chance in Minnesota in 2006. The Vikings signed guard-center Jason Whittle as insurance against Birk’s two-year string of surgeries.
    Fowler started nine games with the Vikings last year and is expected to compete with Trey Teague for the starting job in Buffalo.

The Houston Texans have canceled a visit with Vikings wide receiver Nate Burleson, who, surprisingly, still doesn’t have an offer sheet signed with Seattle. The Vikings tendered Burleson to a $712,000 offer that would require a third-round draft pick as compensation if another team signs him to a better offer sheet and the Vikings decline to match.

As expected, former Vikings receiver Kelly Campbell signed with the Miami Dolphins, reuniting him quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

The agent for Philadelphia Eagles unrestricted free agent right tackle Jon Runyan told scout.com Tuesday evening that Runyan has arrived in the New York area and will meet with New York Jets officials on Wednesday. No other visits have been set up, agent Ben Dogra said. Despite pre-free agency speculation that Runyan would be an interest of the Vikings, they have not shown much interest in him.

Former Vikings running back Michael Bennett, who signed a two-year contract with the New Orleans Saints, is expected to compete for playing time.

"We are working to create competition at every position," said Saints general manager Mickey Loomis. "Michael has experience and has been a solid, explosive player throughout his career. We will add him to the mix at running back, where we already have some depth, and the competition will bring the best out in everyone."

Bennett rushed for 1,296 yards in 2002 with the Vikings, but hasn’t come close to those numbers since. The Vikings had no interest in re-signing him.

I don't really like the idea of Mike McMahon as the backup to Brad Johnson. He has speed, but makes bad decisions. Maybe if given a solid O-Line, he would be much better. If he is signed, lets hope BJ never gets injured.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Free Agency Notes

I would like to see us go after Runyan, but I don't know if the money or the desire is there.

DEEP PURPLE is offline Starter

Out of the possible QB's available I think it would make sense to go and get a guy that is already familiar with the offense. I know that BJ won't need help with the offense but if we bring in a QB from the draft I think it would be a real asset to have a guy that isn't on the field all the time and has experience in the system to help him learn the ropes of the new system.
    If I hear Michelle Bonner say "He works that one to right" one more time, I m getting on a plane for Bristol, going to the ESPNEWS set, and ripping out her vocal cords.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    I would like to see us go after Runyan, but I don't know if the money or the desire is there.
    Childress must know something we don't...plus Runyan has already gone on record as saying that he would re-sign with Philly for less money in order to finish his career there. Why should we make a play for him just to jack up his asking price to Philly? On second thought, why shouldn't we?

Like I said, Childress must know something.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Two more words: SIGN NEAL!!!!

NOW!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I'm putting this in here as I don't think it deserves its own thread.

Visited Foxboro
    by Site Staff of PatriotsInsider.com, March 22, 2006 at 2:23am ET

According to reports, Vikings free agent kicker Paul Edinger has been to New England for a visit. The former Minnesota kicker has been on the free agent market looking to land a deal with a new team after the Vikings raided NFC North division rival Packers for their kicker Ryan Longewell.

New England is in need of a kicker now that negotiations with their own free agent Adam Vinatieri broke down and the former Patriot agreed to a deal with the Indianapolis Colts.

Other possibilities for kickers include Mike Vanderjagt (Colts), Josh Brown a RFA (Seattle) and Olindo Mare (Miami) who appears to be having contract issues and may become available.

Wouldn't it be cool if Vinatieri, and Vanderjagt just simply switched teams.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Wow.....McMahon? OMG I really really hope that we do well this year because my jury is SO out on Childress.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

SharperImage42 is offline Asst. Coach

sign mcmahon give him and the 2nd rounder for a 1st rounder get cutler and SHUT THE u no wat UP!

SharperImage42

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

it is obvious that a QB qill be drafted by us. very obvious.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"PAvikesfan" wrote:
    it is obvious that a QB qill be drafted by us. very obvious.
    Very true. Our other options are OG, LB, and SS.

OG - Attempting to sign one right now.
    LB- Although I hate the call we seem to be staying in house with this one. MLB will be the weak link of the Defense, which is exactly what I didn't want. Our choices are Napo, DT, or Rod Davis...Rod Davis??????? It makes me want to throw up. Everyone is saying Newman "doesn't fit our new defense," but Rod Davis does??? That is bullshit. Sign Newman dammit.
    SS - Looking more and more like Offord is the guy. I think he'll be fine.

QB in the draft. I'm going to the bookstore today to see if they have any Cutler jerseys left.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast