singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' Foley does his homework

Posted on Sun, Feb. 26, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings' Foley does his homework[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

In his previous 11 trips to Indianapolis, Fran Foley got a "feel" for the rookies during the NFL scouting combine.

Now, as the Vikings' vice president of player personnel, Foley must do much more, and he already has done plenty of legwork.

"I'm probably a little further along this year, because I looked at the (scouts' reports)," Foley said. "I've formulated some opinions on (the rookies)."

Although he was hired only a month ago, Foley already has tweaked the team's pro personnel process, and he's contemplating changes to the college scouting protocol.

"I implemented a lot of new things in free agency, because I had a prior working knowledge of that," said Foley, whose experience was with pro personnel. "I sat down with the pro scouts that are on staff, and we went through every guy. Potential salary cap guys, and everything."

The college process is a work in progress, but Foley said he has a good working relationship with Scott Studwell, the college scouting director.

Williams update:

Vikings coach Brad Childress said publicly Friday that he tried to communicate to cornerback Brian Williams' agent to be mindful that the team has a new staff and, thus, a new beginning.

But agent Jordan Feagan did not grab that olive branch.

"It's nice of him to say that," Feagan said. "But nothing's changed at all. Brian wants to move on."

The Vikings placed a transition tag on Williams on Thursday, to Williams' chagrin. The transition tag allows the Vikings to match any offer from another club.

Colts gamble on James:

Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian is gambling with Edgerrin James.

Yes, he wants the two-time rushing champ carrying the ball for Indianapolis next season, but as James prepares for free agency, Polian is hoping salary cap restrictions will help keep James from leaving.

Still, Polian believes there is a "50-50" chance of James coming back to Indy. Polian hopes to increase his odds this week when he calls Drew Rosenhaus, James' agent.

"I'm going to talk to Drew this week and see where Edge is right now, so I'd say it's probably 50-50," Polian said. "But that's an uneducated guess because I haven't spoken with Drew."

The top backs expected to become free agents aside from James are NFL most valuable player Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis, who helped lead Baltimore to a Super Bowl title.

Polian could have kept James by using the franchise tag on him for the second straight year after receiver Reggie Wayne agreed to a new six-year deal. The Colts also signed defensive lineman Raheem Brock to a five-year contract.

Instead, Polian, decided against using the tag, which would have increased James' salary next season to more than $10 million. That means James, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, would be one of the most attractive free agents available when the market opens Friday.

"Reggie was priority No. 1, and Raheem was priority No. 2," Polian said. "Now we can turn our attention to Edgerrin and David Thornton and see what we can do."

Briefly:

At least three former Vikings assistant coaches from last season were at the scouting combine looking for work. Dean Dalton (running backs), Chuck Knox (secondary) and Pete Bercich (linebackers) were spotted here.

• Former Vikings assistant Todd Downing has been hired by the St. Louis Rams. Downing, who attended Eden Prairie High, reunites with former Vikings offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, now the Rams' head coach. Downing will be an assistant working with the special teams and offense.

• The New York Giants released linebacker Barrett Green and offensive lineman Jason Whittle and announced the retirement of veteran safety Brent Alexander.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Foley does his homework

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

DEVIKINGFAN! is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Vikings' Foley does his homework

Out of the top 10 too quick singer, I would love to see b-will back I think he's a solid playa, I hope we could land a solid RB like james but I don't want the drama DR brings to the table..

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn t thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Not responding to the article, but to singer's pleas for attention.

Don't worry singer, we do appreciate and enjoy your posts. There are just times when a response isn't necessary. :wink: :razz:

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

This whole Brian Williams thing is starting to worry me. I hope he isn't a little bitch all season.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

"so-cal vike" wrote:
    Not responding to the article, but to singer's pleas for attention.

Don't worry singer, we do appreciate and enjoy your posts. There are just times when a response isn't necessary. :wink: :razz:
    Wasn't my plea, it was Cojo's. He started a thread screaming for something new on Foley & I just pointed the article out to him. :wink:

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

My apologies then, singer. I mistook you pointing out that there had been no replies as a plea for someone, to check it out.

"so-cal vike" wrote:
    My apologies then, singer. I mistook you pointing out that there had been no replies as a plea for someone, to check it out.
    No need. I posted it at 5 this morning & it got shuffled out of the top 10 rather quickly.

Good info!! I saw Scott on the NFL Network today, it looked like they need alot of help!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin