Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved prais

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=42858.msg734026#msg734026 date=1204574250]
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=42858.msg734017#msg734017 date=1204573901]
    I see no difference in the way the teams drafted.
    Under Tice there were alot of solid players drafted.
    Under Childress we have Tjack? So for every player you point and sayTice drafted poorly, you have the samething for Childress' camp. Unless of course you have decided that AA

I think we're looking back with 20/20 hindsight goggles.
    After all people were torn between Leaf and Manning for months.

The things that have changed this team has been FA signings. Somthing Red McCombs didn't do.
    It has nothing to do with the draft. We didn't patch holes with FA and now we do.
    If they were so solid why didn't they make the team or at least find another team in the NFL to play for?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't TJ currently our starting QB?
    How can that be considered a bust.
    Truth of the matter is there are two kids drafted in the last 2 years that aren't on the Vikings roster and they are both currently on another teams roster.

That my friend is what you call "Beating the odds" if you want to go with the whole "its a crapshoot" idea.

As to the idea that we didn't sign FA unders McCombs, you should go back and review a bit of history.
    Those guys that missed it (rookies) didn't fill holes on the roster.
    Someone had to and it came from the FA pool my friend.

Of course I am not blaming the HC, we all now it falls to the front office with respect to who gets drafted more than it does the HC.

;D
    Of course there are Marrdro. It's only been 1 or two years for them. Still young & haven't had the opportunity to make or break it as a starter.

How many of those players that you listed as (GONE) were on our roster for their first year or two? How many of them went to another team & were on their roster for 1 or 2 years?

4 to 5 years makes a difference & obviously in that time some were finally given the chance & either made it or didn't. Either here or on another team.

Come back to me in 2010 & 2011 & we'll take another look at the draft class under Childress' 1st 2 years.
    I think that is a fair way to put it.

The book has not been written on any of the draft picks yet. Unless he is injured or something else, AD is probably a lock to be thought of as a great draft pick for us. The rest of them are really too early to call. I hope our roster is full of these guys 3 or 4 years down the road and contributing to the team. That would be outstanding for the team and the fans. But in reality it is too early to tell.
    So was Michael Bennett.
    1 or 2 good years doesn't tell the whole story. Look at Grant for GB after he was given the chance there. Was that a fluke last year or is he that damn good?
    You are saying AD=MB ???
    [/quote]

Hell no! I'm just saying the book is written on AD yet either. After Bennett had his two good years, many thought he was going to be great the remainder of his career, barring injury.
    [/quote]

I don't remeber Bennett's second good year...was I napping or is it alzheimers ???

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved prais

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=42858.msg734026#msg734026 date=1204574250]
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=42858.msg734017#msg734017 date=1204573901]
    Under Childress we have Tjack? So for every player you point and sayTice drafted poorly, you have the samething for Childress' camp. Unless of course you have decided that AA

The things that have changed this team has been FA signings. Somthing Red McCombs didn't do.
    It has nothing to do with the draft. We didn't patch holes with FA and now we do.
    If they were so solid why didn't they make the team or at least find another team in the NFL to play for?

Truth of the matter is there are two kids drafted in the last 2 years that aren't on the Vikings roster and they are both currently on another teams roster.

That my friend is what you call "Beating the odds" if you want to go with the whole "its a crapshoot" idea.

As to the idea that we didn't sign FA unders McCombs, you should go back and review a bit of history.

Of course I am not blaming the HC, we all now it falls to the front office with respect to who gets drafted more than it does the HC.
    ;D
    Of course there are Marrdro. It's only been 1 or two years for them. Still young & haven't had the opportunity to make or break it as a starter.

How many of those players that you listed as (GONE) were on our roster for their first year or two? How many of them went to another team & were on their roster for 1 or 2 years?

4 to 5 years makes a difference & obviously in that time some were finally given the chance & either made it or didn't. Either here or on another team.

Come back to me in 2010 & 2011 & we'll take another look at the draft class under Childress' 1st 2 years.

The book has not been written on any of the draft picks yet. Unless he is injured or something else, AD is probably a lock to be thought of as a great draft pick for us. The rest of them are really too early to call. I hope our roster is full of these guys 3 or 4 years down the road and contributing to the team. That would be outstanding for the team and the fans. But in reality it is too early to tell.
    So was Michael Bennett.
    1 or 2 good years doesn't tell the whole story. Look at Grant for GB after he was given the chance there. Was that a fluke last year or is he that damn good?
    You are saying AD=MB ???
    [/quote]

Hell no! I'm just saying the book is written on AD yet either. After Bennett had his two good years, many thought he was going to be great the remainder of his career, barring injury.
    [/quote]

Oh. I see.

I still don't think it was a good comparison. With the 296, another 200+ game and the dominance he has shown I don't see how anything Bennett did in his first 2 years could remotely resemble what AD has already done.

However, there was this guy the drafted named Randy Moss....

;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    I don't remeber Bennett's second good year...was I napping or is it alzheimers ???
    2002 & the year he left & we got C-Tay.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    2002 & the year he left & we got C-Tay.
    lol....now I remember, that was good ;D

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved praise

yeah good article, Brad needs to hit a homerun with this draft then we are good money...another QB pickup would do wonders for competition
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    The Vikes are still paying the price of "overall" poor drafting the past few years (Denny, Tice) by having to be more active in FA to fill holes.
    : Yep! What was Tice thinking when he drafted the likes of E.J. Henderson & Kevin Williams?

It's easy to come back after the fact & point out high prospects that were drafted that didn't meet expectations.

Funny thing though, at the time they were drafted, many of those players were high on some teams draft cards, projected to go high & were probably also on many (now scoffers) mock drafts.
    Can't speak for what the front office was saying with respect to EJ but I bet for Kevin it was something along the lines of........

Are we still on hold with the Ravens.
    2. Hey, I want a mulligen.
    3. Only 15 minutes?
    I thought we had 45.
    or
    4. Bet that is one pick that will be talked about forever, especially on draft days.

Sorry, couldn't let that one slip.
    It wasn't the Vikings fault on that one. It was that gol 'darnit new phone system the Ravens were installing.

If you'd like to here your options in English, press 1 now.

Si usted quisiera aquÃÂ* a sus opciones en inglés, ahora presione 2.

(presses #1)

If you are calling to inquire about about season tickets, you have dialed the incorrect number. PLease dial 1-800 Ravens1.

If you are calling inquiring who the Ravens have drafted so far, press 1 now.

If you are draft prospect & are calling to see if your name is on our draft card, press 2 now.

If you are inquiring about a possible trade with the Ravens, press 3 now.

To repeat this menu please press 4 now.

To return to the main menu, pres 9 now.

(Presses 3)

If you are inquiring about a 1st round trade, press 1 now.

If you are inquiring about a 2nd round trade, press 2 now.
    If you are inquiring about a 6th round trade, press 6 now.

If you are inquiring about any other round trade, press 7 now.

To repeat this menu please press 8 now.

To return to the main menu, press 9 now.

(presses 1)

If you are calling on behalf of the Bears press 1 now, followed by the pound key.

If you are calling on behalf of the Bengals press 2 now, followed by the pound key.
    If you are calling on behalf of the Vikings press 32 now, followed by the
    pound key.

To repeat this menu please press the star key.

To return to the main menu, press the star key, followed by the pound key.
    YUP, Marrdro sits in his cube laughing out loud at his computer screen again.
    ;D

Well played my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:

Marrdro the fact is you never know how someone will end up going from clooege to the NFL.
    There are many players on here that all had high potential that didn't pan out.
    For instance Randy Moss was a crap shoot becasue of his baggage.
    He turned out fine.
    Michael Bennett was a crap shoot that did okay but turned out to be a bust IMO.
    I can sit here and analyze each person for you but unfortunately I don't have the time to do that right now.
    But no matter how you slice it you do not know how a player will transition in the NFL.
    A lot of it has to do with what team drafts you, their current players and coaching staff.
    Since 2000 we haven't been a winning team.
    I think some of the players drafted had high potential.
    Some were gambles.
    It's done in every draft by every team.
    But you can't tell me the current players and coaches have nothing to do with it.
    You may not want to except the crap shoot excuse but EVERY one is.
    Look at players like Leaf and Couch that were supposed to be football's next Elway or Marino.
    I bet you if Couch had the coaches and players around him that Cleveland has now his career could have been different.
    Notice I say could have been becasue we'll never know.
    That is why everyone is a crap shoot.
    There are also players on that list that he lists as (gone) that were decent players who made the team. Some of them played here for some time & were later either let go after the season(s), traded or became FA's.
    The word (gone) leads you to believe these players were all horsehit & were let go/cut from the team for that very reason. Not true.

It's quite deceiving at first glance. Ah......the art of deception. Ah the art of......

Ohhh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to decieve.....

I am not trying to decieve.
    They are gone, nothing more, nothing less.
    That means they aren't on the team.

Thats alot of picks that should still be contributing that aren't my friends.

And I disagree with the bolded area.
    I only went back a few years.
    Most, if not all of those players didn't even make the team and aren't with any team.

Based on a first contract they should have gotten 4 years in the league and then, if they were FA and got picked up by another team they would still be in the league.

I guess I am gonna have to do some research and put the data behind thier names now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

;D

As I mentioned in my initial post & as kevincox reiterated, It easy to go look back now in hindsight & make the evaluation. You have to go back & look at the draft class back at the time they were drafted. I'd bet a lot of people were feeling pretty high about the picks we made then, at the time we made them.

See you in 3-4 years to re-vist our 2006/2007 picks.
    If memory serves not many.
    I can tell you that a hell of alot of them didn't play in the league for long at all.

As I said earlier, I will do a bit of research and provide the list.

As to our picks, who do you think that is currently on the roster won't live out thier contract?

I really believe that our front office guys did thier homework and are drafting quality players the last two drafts, that pending a career ending injury (Not many of them like that these days) should have long NFL careers.
    Maybe 3 iffy kindof guys but they were taken in the later rounds and I don't have to wait until 2010 or 2011 to see that.

The previous regime can't say that.

Rnd Name College Note
    1 Adrian Peterson Oklahoma

(Injuries will be the only thing that holds him back)
    2 Rice Sidney South Carolina

(Should be a star.
    If nothing else he will have a long career)
    3 McCauley Marcus Fresno State (Should have a long career in the NFL)
    4 Robison Brian Texas

(Should have a long career in the NFL)
    5 Allison Aundrae East Carolina
    (Still undecided.
    Shows promise, will at least play for 4 - 6 years)
    6 Alexander Rufus Oklahoma

(Still undecided.Should get through first contract)
    7 Thigpen Tyler Coastal Carolina
    (Depends on the league but QBs are in short supply/high demand)
    7 Williams Chandler Florida International
    (Still Undecided)

Rnd Name College Note
    1 Chad Greenway Iowa
    (Will have a long Career)
    2 Cedric Griffin Texas

(Will have a long Career)
    2 Ryan Cook New Mexico (Will have a long Career)
    2 Tarvaris Jackson Alabama State
    (Same with Thygpen.
    Will be in the league for along time)
    4 Ray Edwards Purdue
    (Should have a long career.
    Could breakout this year.)
    5 Greg Blue Georgia
    (Undecided.
    Should make it into a second contract)

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

;D

I'm not looking for great, I'm just looking for them to be good servicable players that make it on the 53 man roster and contribute.

Truth be told, that didn't happen very much in the McCombs era.

Again, look at the list, how many are contributing to the team.
    Very few my friends.

Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved praise

Not gonna put to much time into this but here is what a quick search on Wikipeadia will get you on all of our draft picks.

If there is still the word (Gone) with nothing behind it, it means there wasn't anything about a NFL career listed and just thier college stats.

Again, I still say that this is a pretty dismal record of drafting when that many guys don't even make the team or let alone have any sort of a career.

Probably why most Vikings fans have the feeling the draft is a crap shoot.
    ;D

Rnd Name College Note
    1 Troy Williamson South Carolina
    (Gone. I suppose it was the coaches fault)
    1 Erasmus James Wisconsin
    (Can't stay on the field)
    2 Marcus Johnson Mississippi
    (Solid backup)
    3 Dustin Fox Ohio State
    (Gone)
    Fox was drafted in the 3rd round (80th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings. He broke his arm in training camp and had to sit out for the rest of the season. In 2006, Fox was signed to the Philadelphia Eagles' practice squad but was released by the Eagles in early September 2007 as part of the last team cuts. Fox was promoted to the 53-man roster of the Buffalo Bills on November, 23rd 2007.

4 Ciatrick Fason Florida
    (Gone)
    Fason was given the number 35 and has had one professional start. That start was versus the Detroit Lions in the 2006 season. Ciatrick has had very little injury problems over his college and pro years. He played every game for the Gators without getting injured over his three years at Florida. On August 31, 2007 the Vikings released him.
    6 C.J. Mosley Missouri
    (Gone)
    In his rookie year for Minnesota, Mosley accumulated 19 tackles, 3 sacks and 1 forced fumble while filling in for an injured Kevin Williams in the middle of the 2005 NFL season. Mosley, along with an undisclosed draft pick, was traded to the Jets on 31 August 2006 for backup quarterback Brooks Bollinger
    7 Adrian Ward Texas-El Paso
    (Gone)

Rnd Name College Note
    1 Kenechi Udeze USC
    (I like this guy, some don't)
    2 Dontarrious Thomas Auburn (Solid pick)
    3 Darrion Scott Ohio State
    (Who knows.
    Still a piece of pooh if you ask me)
    4 Nat Dorsey Georgia Tech
    (Gone)
    Nathaniel Willie Dorsey, III (born September 9, 1983 in New Orleans, Louisiana), is an American football offensive tackle who is currently a free agent. He was originally drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the fourth round of the 2004 NFL Draft. He played college football at Georgia Tech.
    On September 4, 2005, he was traded to the Cleveland Browns for center Melvin Fowler.
    4 Mewelde Moore Tulane
    (Decent pick)
    5 Rod Davis Southern Mississippi
    (Gone)
    6 Deandre' Eiland South Carolina
    (Gone)
    7 Jeff Dugan Maryland
    (Solid pick, great value)

Rnd Name College Note
    1 Kevin Williams Oklahoma State
    (Excellent Pick)
    2 E.J. Henderson Maryland
    (Excellent Pick)
    3 Nate Burleson Nevada-Reno
    (Solid Pick)
    4 Onterrio Smith Oregon
    (Gone. Probably would have been a good one if his head was on straight)
    6 Eddie Johnson Idaho State
    (Gone)
    6 Michael Nattiel Florida
    (Gone)
    7 Keenan Howry Oregon
    (Gone)
    Keenan Rashaun Howry (born June 17, 1981) is an American football wide receiver who currently plays for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League.

Rnd Name College Note
    1 Bryant McKinnie Miami (FL)
    (Excellent Pick)
    2 Raonall Smith Washington State
    (Gone)
    Raonall Aarig Smith (pronounced /RAN-uhl/) (born October 22, 1978) is an American Football who plays for the National Football League St. Louis Rams
    3 Willie Offord South Carolina
    (Gone)
    He is currently a free agent after being released from the Minnesota Vikings on September 2, 2006 [1].
    He was drafted in the third round of the 2002 NFL Draft with the 70th pick overall by the Vikings. He recorded 27 total tackles and 1 interception in his rookie year, his best year statistically to date. He has played mostly special teams during his 4-year tenure with the Vikings, serving as the special teams Captain. Offord was placed on injured reserve just three games into the 2005-2006 season with a devastating knee injury, prematurely ending his season.

4 Brian Williams North Carolina State
    (Decent Pick)
    4 Edward Ta'amu Utah

(Gone)
    6 Nick Rogers Georgia Tech
    (Gone)
    He played for the Minnesota Vikings.[1]
    ^ "Vikings bring in Lowe to add depth to safety", 2004-09-06
    7 Chad Beasley Virginia Tech
    (Gone)

Rnd Name College Note
    1 Michael Bennett Wisconsin
    (Good pick)
    2 Willie Howard Stanford
    (Gone)
    3 Eric Kelly Kentucky
    (Gone)
    4 Shawn Worthen Texas Christian (Gone)
    4 Cedric James Texas Christian
    (Gone)
    5 Patrick Chukwurah Wyoming
    (Gone)
    Patrick C. Chukwurah (born March 1, 1979 in Nigeria) is a Nigerian football player. A defensive end/backup linebacker who plays for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he is mostly a back up to long-time starter Greg Spires but is often brought out in pass situations due to his good speed and pass-rushing abilities.
    6 Carey Scott Kentucky State
    (Gone)
    7 Brian Crawford Western Oregon (Gone, I actually liked this pick at the time)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456