Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60
  1. #21
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved prais

    They’ve been aggressive and clearly aren’t afraid of overpaying for some guys — after all, overpaying is a simple reality of NFL free agency.
    Interesting point!

  2. #22
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved prais

    DE, CB, OT, OG, QB? ?? ?

    So far so good in the actions we have taken but we have the above positions that need to have some consideration.
    We don't need to fill them all but a couple more additions would be nice.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Buffalo, MN
    Posts
    982

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved prais

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    DE, CB, OT, OG, QB? ?? ?

    So far so good in the actions we have taken but we have the above positions that need to have some consideration.
    We don't need to fill them all but a couple more additions would be nice.
    I would add Safety and DT to that list.
    Darren Sharper and Pat Williams aren't getting any younger.
    Need to get some youth at those positions too.
    ;D
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

  4. #24
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved praise

    Here's my praise...not only did we fill holes with what (at this point) appears to be good vet FA pickups, but there is a common theme among them.
    They are young, with experience AND room to grow, AND, we've got them inked for 6 years on the big $$$ contracts and 5 years for Tapeh.
    Again, looking not just to plug a hole, but to improve the overall depth of the team for years to come.
    From a business standpoint, I love what this organization is doing.
    Building for now, AND the Future!!!

    As for drafting...its hard to argue the varying results of our past three regimes and two owners.
    Marrdro and VikeFan4Life pretty much summed that up with the history shown...we don't have much left that we drafted under McCombs' underfunded staff.
    I think that under McCombs, they approached the draft like it was a crapshoot...after they got lucky on Randy, they liked to gamble a bit, eh?
    I'd like to say that has changed now that we have a full staff of scouts etc...not so much a crapshoot, as an educated guess.
    You have certain guidlines and skill sets that fit your needs, and you whittle down the options until you're left with a couple of choices that are most likely right.

    Gotta love the irony of the Kevin Williams pick!
    Here is the least known guy we've drafted in the first round, probably ever, and he turns out to be one of the best picks we've seen.
    Most of our other first round picks have been way more highly touted, and generally seemed a fit at the time, even though they didn't work out as planned.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  5. #25
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved praise

    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Here's my praise...not only did we fill holes with what (at this point) appears to be good vet FA pickups, but there is a common theme among them.
    They are young, with experience AND room to grow, AND, we've got them inked for 6 years on the big $$$ contracts and 5 years for Tapeh.
    Again, looking not just to plug a hole, but to improve the overall depth of the team for years to come.
    From a business standpoint, I love what this organization is doing.
    Building for now, AND the Future!!!

    As for drafting...its hard to argue the varying results of our past three regimes and two owners.
    Marrdro and VikeFan4Life pretty much summed that up with the history shown...we don't have much left that we drafted under McCombs' underfunded staff.
    I think that under McCombs, they approached the draft like it was a crapshoot...after they got lucky on Randy, they liked to gamble a bit, eh?
    I'd like to say that has changed now that we have a full staff of scouts etc...not so much a crapshoot, as an educated guess.
    You have certain guidlines and skill sets that fit your needs, and you whittle down the options until you're left with a couple of choices that are most likely right.

    Gotta love the irony of the Kevin Williams pick!
    Here is the least known guy we've drafted in the first round, probably ever, and he turns out to be one of the best picks we've seen.
    Most of our other first round picks have been way more highly touted, and generally seemed a fit at the time, even though they didn't work out as planned.
    I do love your posts mountainman.
    Good stuff my friend.

    By the way, it makes one chuckle when you go back and remember that (Kwill pick) and how it all happened.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #26
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved prais

    "VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    DE, CB, OT, OG, QB? ?? ?

    So far so good in the actions we have taken but we have the above positions that need to have some consideration.
    We don't need to fill them all but a couple more additions would be nice.
    I would add Safety and DT to that list.
    Darren Sharper and Pat Williams aren't getting any younger.
    Need to get some youth at those positions too.
    ;D
    Yes, I think you are right about those guys, but some of that has to be attempted in the draft.

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved prais

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    DE, CB, OT, OG, QB? ?? ?

    So far so good in the actions we have taken but we have the above positions that need to have some consideration.
    We don't need to fill them all but a couple more additions would be nice.
    I would add Safety and DT to that list.
    Darren Sharper and Pat Williams aren't getting any younger.
    Need to get some youth at those positions too.
    ;D
    Yes, I think you are right about those guys, but some of that has to be attempted in the draft.
    Just rap me on the forehead SIA, what are we talking about, FA's or Draftees here filling the holes you listed above?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved prais

    "VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    DE, CB, OT, OG, QB? ?? ?

    So far so good in the actions we have taken but we have the above positions that need to have some consideration.
    We don't need to fill them all but a couple more additions would be nice.
    I would add Safety and DT to that list.
    Darren Sharper and Pat Williams aren't getting any younger.
    Need to get some youth at those positions too.
    ;D
    Well speaking in general about needs, right now, DE is the biggest.
    Losing Udeze and James to health/injury issues and Scott to attitude/free agency left us pretty thin there.


    I still like our young CBs, it will be interesting to see how they play next year, now that they've had some experience in our system...hopefully at this point next year, they will have ended any debate about that position being a weakness.


    Along the OLine, I think our biggest need is a C to learn from Birk for a year or two and replace him when he retires...according to cbssports.com, Herrara is our top backup Center...?
    Unless, we are sick of McKinnie's underachieving ways and possible looming suspension...then we need an early pick at LT.

    QB is still a hole, but since TJack is entrenched as the starter for now, and the available FAs at the position have signed on elsewhere, I think we have the luxury of picking one we like at a place of value...could be 2nd or 3rd round, but probably later.
    I really like the idea of snagging a guy like Eric Ainge in the fifth (Greg Cox's mock http://www.thefootballexpert.com/coxmockdraft5.html ) OR, maybe taking a flyer on Dixon around the 5th or 6th.

    IMHO all the above, puts Safety and Defensive Tackle pretty close to the top of the needs list.
    We've only got Frampton behind Sharper and Madieu at S.
    We lost our best backup DT to free agency too.
    The great thing, is that, barring major injuries, these guys can learn for awhile as backups, provide fresh legs in the rotation, and help out STs until they are ready to start and contribute at a high level.

    My current needs, somewhat in order, would be:
    DE, DT and S, C, LB, QB, RB, WR with the last four being depth picks for now.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  9. #29
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved praise

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    I think Denny and Tice drafted fine.
    As we all know drafting is a crap shoot.
    As Singer pointed out EJ and Williams.
    What about Denny drafting Moss?


    I think the more important question regarding the drafts are:
    Were the players tought how to play well?
    How was the discipline?
    There are many factors to consider as to why draft choices do and don't work out.
    Most of the time a player is drafted becasue of their skills and how they are expected to play in the NFL.
    How it ends up is a different story.
    I disagree.

    I don't think it is that big of a crap shoot.

    Take a look at the Vikes as they sit today.
    They had 15 openings going into FA.
    They will probably sign 4-8 Vets (a few from other teams and a few of thier own).

    If a front office and thier scouting staff can't find 7 quallity players that can fill those other vacancies then they should be released by the owner.

    Face it, the truth of the matter is that for 5 years (I liked how the staff drafted before McCombs took over) this organization (not Tice) screwed the pooch when it came to drafting.
    Hell I don't think they got it right a third of the time.


    Again, that is why our team was going no were fast after the "Outstanding" 9-7 season you all keep
    reminding us of.

    Really, I am being serious here.
    Can you guys sit there and tell me that we picked good.
    How many of the "Gone" Players are still even in the NFL?

    Take your purple glasses off.
    The previous regime sucked at drafting and you can't give the excuse that it is a crap shoot cause it doesn't wash with me.

    Again, watch how this staff drafts.
    They will draft players that will fill actual roster spots and they will get them when they should actually be taken (unlike how Foley did in 2006 draft were he took some sooner than expected).

    2005
    Rnd Name College Note
    1 Troy Williamson South Carolina
    (Gone. I suppose it was the coaches fault)
    1 Erasmus James Wisconsin
    (Can't stay on the field)
    2 Marcus Johnson Mississippi
    (Solid backup)
    3 Dustin Fox Ohio State
    (Gone)
    4 Ciatrick Fason Florida
    (Gone)
    6 C.J. Mosley Missouri
    (Gone)
    7 Adrian Ward Texas-El Paso
    (Gone)


    2004
    Rnd Name College Note
    1 Kenechi Udeze USC
    (I like this guy, some don't)
    2 Dontarrious Thomas Auburn (Solid pick)
    3 Darrion Scott Ohio State
    (Who knows.
    Still a piece of pooh if you ask me)
    4 Nat Dorsey Georgia Tech
    (Gone)
    4 Mewelde Moore Tulane
    (Decent pick)
    5 Rod Davis Southern Mississippi
    (Gone)
    6 Deandre' Eiland South Carolina
    (Gone)
    7 Jeff Dugan Maryland
    (Solid pick, great value)


    2003
    Rnd Name College Note
    1 Kevin Williams Oklahoma State
    (Excellent Pick)
    2 E.J. Henderson Maryland
    (Excellent Pick)
    3 Nate Burleson Nevada-Reno
    (Solid Pick)
    4 Onterrio Smith Oregon
    (Gone. Probably would have been a good one if his head was on straight)
    6 Eddie Johnson Idaho State
    (Gone)
    6 Michael Nattiel Florida
    (Gone)
    7 Keenan Howry Oregon
    (Gone)


    2002
    Rnd Name College Note
    1 Bryant McKinnie Miami (FL)
    (Excellent Pick)
    2 Raonall Smith Washington State
    (Gone)
    3 Willie Offord South Carolina
    (Gone)
    4 Brian Williams North Carolina State
    (Decent Pick)
    4 Edward Ta'amu Utah

    (Gone)
    6 Nick Rogers Georgia Tech
    (Gone)
    7 Chad Beasley Virginia Tech
    (Gone)


    2001
    Rnd Name College Note
    1 Michael Bennett Wisconsin
    (Good pick)
    2 Willie Howard Stanford
    (Gone)
    3 Eric Kelly Kentucky
    (Gone)
    4 Shawn Worthen Texas Christian (Gone)
    4 Cedric James Texas Christian
    (Gone)
    5 Patrick Chukwurah Wyoming
    (Gone)
    6 Carey Scott Kentucky State
    (Gone)
    7 Brian Crawford Western Oregon (Gone, I actually liked this pick at the time)


    http://www.databasefootball.com/draf...?tm=MIN&lg=nfl
    Marrdro the fact is you never know how someone will end up going from clooege to the NFL.
    There are many players on here that all had high potential that didn't pan out.
    For instance Randy Moss was a crap shoot becasue of his baggage.
    He turned out fine.
    Michael Bennett was a crap shoot that did okay but turned out to be a bust IMO.
    I can sit here and analyze each person for you but unfortunately I don't have the time to do that right now.
    But no matter how you slice it you do not know how a player will transition in the NFL.
    A lot of it has to do with what team drafts you, their current players and coaching staff.
    Since 2000 we haven't been a winning team.
    I think some of the players drafted had high potential.
    Some were gambles.
    It's done in every draft by every team.
    But you can't tell me the current players and coaches have nothing to do with it.
    You may not want to except the crap shoot excuse but EVERY one is.
    Look at players like Leaf and Couch that were supposed to be football's next Elway or Marino.
    I bet you if Couch had the coaches and players around him that Cleveland has now his career could have been different.
    Notice I say could have been becasue we'll never know.
    That is why everyone is a crap shoot.
    You don't have to take the time to analyze anything my friend and I will agree that it is a crap shoot but just look at the facts.
    Most of the players that have a "Gone" behind thier name should still be contributing to the team (Vikes) or any other team for that matter.

    Take alook at the teams that win in the current FA kindof environment the NFL operates in now and you will find that they had more than 1 or 2 of thier players not only make the team every year but provide impacts for years to come.

    And, by the way, the ones that did leave, were snatched by other teams.

    Because we have drafted wisely the last 2 years we now are seeing the benifits from it.
    To bad we were set at S and QB or Blue and Thygpen would still be on the team.
    Isn't that what we were disagreeing about in the first place?
    ;D ;D ;D

    We are on the same page as far as who worked out and who didn't.
    That was really never my take here.
    My only real thought was that every draft choice is a crap shoot.
    I thought that's is what you were replying to since you bolded that part of my post.

    Stop confusing me Marrdro.
    :P

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Vikings filled most of their glaring needs - Giving some well-deserved praise

    "ejmat" wrote:
    Isn't that what we were disagreeing about in the first place?
    ;D ;D ;D

    We are on the same page as far as who worked out and who didn't.
    That was really never my take here.
    My only real thought was that every draft choice is a crap shoot.
    I thought that's is what you were replying to since you bolded that part of my post.

    Stop confusing me Marrdro.
    :P
    Your telling me I did the Wall of Text just to convince you of something that we agreed on.

    Now I'm confused.
    LOL
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings Have Nearly Filled Practice Squad
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
  2. Vikings Giving Up On The Season
    By HEY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 05:56 PM
  3. Vikings getting some deserved time off with bye week
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 09:30 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 06:53 AM
  5. Why the Vikings Deserved it
    By Frozen Tundran in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 06:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •