Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings executives stay local Tuesday

The Minnesota Vikings are in the midst of a search for their quarterback of the present and future, but we can already tell you that some of the most important people involved won't be in attendance at either pro day. According to Chip Scoggins of the Star Tribune, Vikings vice president Rick Spielman and director of pro personnel George Paton are both attending the University of Minnesota's pro day instead. They have been joined by quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson.

I guess all you Newton and Mallet supporters can scratch those two off your wish list.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings executives stay local Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091018
    The Minnesota Vikings are in the midst of a search for their quarterback of the present and future, but we can already tell you that some of the most important people involved won't be in attendance at either pro day. According to Chip Scoggins of the Star Tribune, Vikings vice president Rick Spielman and director of pro personnel George Paton are both attending the University of Minnesota's pro day instead. They have been joined by quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson.

I guess all you Newton and Mallet supporters can scratch those two off your wish list.
    *Cough* Smokescreen *Cough*

A little birdie told me they were looking at taking Adam Weber with the #12.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091020
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091018

*Cough* Smokescreen *Cough*

A little birdie told me they were looking at taking Adam Weber with the #12.
    but the cleaners second cousin told me we were re-signing TJ as our veteran QB with a view to him being the long term answer.. so why do we need to draft a QB?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

I think they'll consider Newton in Round 2 and Mallet in round 3 (if we get a pick) or 4. I like the fact that they aren't likely to reach for a QB with their number 12. Very good defensive draft hopefully some teams pull the trigger on the QBs in this draft so we can have a nice some DL fall to us. Does anyone know what Quarterback's they might be interested in? I really don't have a clue.

PS- hopefully they don't go to Washington's pro day either!!!
    None

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

There is no way Newton escapes the first round. There's a slight chance Mallet does, but he won't drop to 3, that's for sure, and like you said we don't have a 3rd rounder anyhow.

Why are they going to the Minnesota pro-day though? Who's coming out from there this year? I don't remember seeing a single player at the combine or ranked on any of the draft sites I look at.

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1091042
    There is no way Newton escapes the first round. There's a slight chance Mallet does, but he won't drop to 3, that's for sure, and like you said we don't have a 3rd rounder anyhow.

Why are they going to the Minnesota pro-day though? Who's coming out from there this year? I don't remember seeing a single player at the combine or ranked on any of the draft sites I look at.
    There is a lot of talk around how chummy Newton and Ron Rivera HC for the Panthers were today at the workout. There is no way Newton drops below the Bills. I think that Mallet, Dalton, and Capernick will all be available in round 2 however. Of those I think that the jury is still out on Mallet based on the drug use, and tub of goo body that came out of the combine.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1091047

There is a lot of talk around how chummy Newton and Ron Rivera HC for the Panthers were today at the workout. There is no way Newton drops below the Bills. I think that Mallet, Dalton, and Capernick will all be available in round 2 however. Of those I think that the jury is still out on Mallet based on the drug use, and tub of goo body that came out of the combine.
    I think Newton could easily drop to 20th-ish if the Bills pass on him..

Some teams have Mallett of their board, so alot of scenarios are gone, he could drop to the late second.. but i have a very high grade on him - however i haven't talked to him about about the off-field rumours..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Agree. I don't think Newton is still on the board after 3. Either Carolina or the Bills will take him.

I think they do it as an effort to promote the Gophers program and probably, more importantly, to stay in good with them in case we have to share a stadium.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

But vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said his scouting team plans to cover all necessary ground during the next two months while emphasizing private workouts more than ever because of the team's quarterback need.
    Starting with Gophers' Adam Weber, Vikings prefer evaluating college quarterbacks in private

Hmmmmmmm Private workouts....... Spielmans scouting teams........

Which one of those two little nuggets do I want to discuss today. :laugh:

Spielman, who oversees the Vikings draft, cautioned not to read anything into that.

"Theres a game plan in place," he said. "We will see all those guys either privately or at some point. They will all be covered I can guarantee you that."

Spielman is never one to tip his hand when it comes to draft or personnel questions, but he said the Vikings had coaches and/or scouts at both Auburn and Arkansas on Tuesday.

Joining Spielman at the Gophers Pro Day were director of player personnel George Paton and new quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson.

Presumably, that meant head coach Leslie Frazier, offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and director of college scouting Scott Studwell split up the Auburn and Arkansas Pro Days.
    Vikings plan private workouts with QBs

Hmmmmmmmm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast