Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings ease up on offseason deals

The team has not been a major player in free agency for two years, a sign of stability and a commitment to the draft.
    We have the ability to be patient and let things come to us. Where you don't have to press and if you don't get something you don't have to panic because we have a lot of core pieces in place. We can continue to build and add to the roster as we go on."
    For those of you who like to see teams move up or trade picks away, you won't like that article.

Nothing sexy about staying true to your draft board and drafting for quality, not for need.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Vikings ease up on offseason deals

Sounds sexy to me.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Marrdro wrote:
    The team has not been a major player in free agency for two years, a sign of stability and a commitment to the draft.
    We have the ability to be patient and let things come to us. Where you don't have to press and if you don't get something you don't have to panic because we have a lot of core pieces in place. We can continue to build and add to the roster as we go on."
    For those of you who like to see teams move up or trade picks away, you won't like that article.

Nothing sexy about staying true to your draft board and drafting for quality, not for need.
    Its interesting how different people interpret a given article.

I read it as we will continue to be aggressive evaluating deals but there is just not as many holes to plug anymore.

Come on, they went after Housh and signed Favre! Last time I checked that would be considered pretty agressive...

I still have high hopes for an Active Draft and some hole filling with what I think will be another FA bubble before Camp this year. I think we will see another purge of veterans after the dust clears from the draft this year. L ook for a lot of OL and CBs to become available prior to Camp or even during depending on details of their contracts. Not somewhere I would not go for starters, but a great pool for depth.
    None

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Trading up in the draft hardly ever works out. The price to move up in the first round is always way too high and the player never seems to work out. Best example I have is Quinn.

As for trading for a QB, or a CB from the raiders, I would be all for that. Trading for an already established player for a potential draft pick player is usually a good move. Free agency is still not over and maybe we can snag a linebacker still just for depth or one of the few secondary players who are left.
    We're bringing purple back.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gregair13 wrote:
    Trading up in the draft hardly ever works out. The price to move up in the first round is always way too high and the player never seems to work out. Best example I have is Quinn.
    Always seemed that way to me as well. Will be interesting to see what the effect would be if there as ever a rookie salary cap put in place. Given the problems that some teams have trying to agree terms with their first round choices then I can see that coming in the near future. If a cap was implemented then you may then see teams more willing to trade up in the first round as the salary wouldn't be as much of a jump as there is now.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

I read it as we will continue to be aggressive evaluating deals but there is just not as many holes to plug anymore.

Come on, they went after Housh and signed Favre! Last time I checked that would be considered pretty agressive...

I still have high hopes for an Active Draft and some hole filling with what I think will be another FA bubble before Camp this year. I think we will see another purge of veterans after the dust clears from the draft this year. L ook for a lot of OL and CBs to become available prior to Camp or even during depending on details of their contracts. Not somewhere I would not go for starters, but a great pool for depth.
    How hard do you really think we went after TJHousyourmomma? I think we put on our best face and tried to land him, but I also think they held back and didn't go overboard for him, much the same way we handled LT's visit.

Don't even want to talk about the Noodle. Everyone knows that they goofed and let TT know they wanted him, which in the end, delayed his arrival by a year.

In the end though, we are talking onesies/twosies which doesn't really count as being "Active" in the FA market my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

How hard do you really think we went after TJHousyourmomma? I think we put on our best face and tried to land him, but I also think they held back and didn't go overboard for him, much the same way we handled LT's visit.

Don't even want to talk about the Noodle. Everyone knows that they goofed and let TT know they wanted him, which in the end, delayed his arrival by a year.

In the end though, we are talking onesies/twosies which doesn't really count as being "Active" in the FA market my friend.

The Bores and Lions are active this year. We are not.

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

The Bores and Lions are active this year. We are not.