Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chazz is offline Coordinator

Re: Vikings Dream Draft 2008-going deep (7th round)

LB.
    If we loose one of our young guys that specialize in ST's then we need to draft a replacement.
    I'm not so sure. Resign Farwell. Thomas is likely gone. We still have Rufus coming back from injury. He is very much similar to Thomas. Small, fast, and athetic. I think he would fill in great.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Truth be told, I rank our areas of need as S, DT, DE, WR, QB, OL and LB in that order.
    While that may be true for the draft, what is your pecking order for the entire offseason with FA included. Certainly O-line shouldn't be that low on the 'ole Marrdro totem pole. Think starters & depth!

If it is, I might have to start a list just so I can move you over to the other column.
    :P
    Better get the column ready, as I am pretty happy with the OL.

There is room for improvement at both ends and Birk had his moments, Herrera and Hutch were pretty damn solid and Cook did better than I thought he would, in fact he did pretty damn good considering that he played C in college.
    Dan Moses will add depth behind Birk now that he is healthy and he we have a couple of serviceable guys that can come in if necessary in Chase and Marcus and Hicks.

I actually think the following is our priority in FA.
    Again, my rationale is based on issues with positions that they have already invested heavily in during recent drafts which gives us talent yet to be developed.

Can't solve that issue by drafting more talent to develop.

a.
    DE
    (Alot of young talent that might or might not step up and get double digits this year).
    a1. WR (Some talent in AA and Rice that will only get better.
    Drop Twill and add a outside guy that can catch).
    a2. S (This whole Doss/Tank/Smith thing has me worried.
    Use our number one pick for a starter as well as move Griff back there and bring in a FA CB or leave Griff at CB and bring in a S).
    a3. QB (I want them to address this both via FA as well as the draft.
    Get rid of BB and KH and use one spot for a serviceable Vet to add depth and draft another Thygpen type of guy).

Truth be told, I wouldn't be to suprised it they don't address DE, WR or QB in FA as there just isn't alot of talent out there that is gonna come with a reasonable price tag, and only get us a S and possibly pursue a Kicker that can KO a bit deeper that can push Longwell a bit in camp.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:
    I don't really see the Vikings takin a DT in this draft maybe next years draft but not this years
    Why not?

We are set with Kevin and Pat, Fred is a good backup/possible future replacement for Pat, but Spencer isn't worth resigning for the money he will garner in the current over priced FA market.
    He is way to small to play the 3 gap type of technique we need anyway.

90 Fred Evans DT 24 6-4 305 2 Texas State

97 Spencer Johnson DT 26 6-3 286 4 Auburn
    93 Kevin Williams DL 27 6-5 311 5 Oklahoma State
    94 Pat Williams DL 35 6-3 317 11 Texas A&M

You draft as you should.

Go after quality talent that adds depth to your roster allowing you to have a windfall in cash cause you didn't over pay for a guy that really doesn't fit the system.

My guess, Spencer will be gone via FA and we will use at least a 2nd or a 3rd pick on a DT that adds depth/future replacement.
    you do have a good point there

"Vikings" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:
    I don't really see the Vikings takin a DT in this draft maybe next years draft but not this years
    Why not?

We are set with Kevin and Pat, Fred is a good backup/possible future replacement for Pat, but Spencer isn't worth resigning for the money he will garner in the current over priced FA market.
    He is way to small to play the 3 gap type of technique we need anyway.

90 Fred Evans DT 24 6-4 305 2 Texas State

97 Spencer Johnson DT 26 6-3 286 4 Auburn
    93 Kevin Williams DL 27 6-5 311 5 Oklahoma State
    94 Pat Williams DL 35 6-3 317 11 Texas A&M

You draft as you should.

Go after quality talent that adds depth to your roster allowing you to have a windfall in cash cause you didn't over pay for a guy that really doesn't fit the system.

My guess, Spencer will be gone via FA and we will use at least a 2nd or a 3rd pick on a DT that adds depth/future replacement.
    you do have a good point there
    Thanks.

They could resign Spencer but he will get a heck of alot more on the FA market than the Vikes will offer.
    He is a bit small and doesn't play the 3 gap very well so they will let him go play (get paid) elsewere.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

They could resign Spencer but he will get a heck of alot more on the FA market than the Vikes will offer.
    He is a bit small and doesn't play the 3 gap very well so they will let him go play (get paid) elsewere.
    [/quote]

yea spencer is a smaller guy. We should just keep the money and get somebody new

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Unfortunately, we're going to be losing some guys this year.
    Mostly depth guys, but guys that have stepped up when called upon, and will most likely start and contribute at their new teams...Mewelde Moore, Dontarious Thomas, Spencer Johnson, and Darrion Scott are probably gone.
    TWill.
    BB or KH or both might be gone.
    Ferguson and Farwell are guys I hope we resign at reasonable, good for both sides, kind of deals...there might be a pretty good chance?
    They've both said they'd like to stay.
    And then there is the safety situation...one or both of Tank and Doss will most likely be gone.
    Totally hoping TRich signs for another couple of years, but, he might be gone too...I think that's pretty close to 7 draft picks...

Offensive Linemen

* 78 Matt Birk C

* 62 Ryan Cook T/C

* 63 Brian Daniels G

* 64 Anthony Herrera G

* 79 Artis Hicks G

* 76 Steve Hutchinson G

* 75 Chase Johnson T

* 72 Marcus Johnson T

* 74 Bryant McKinnie T

* 67 Dan Mozes C/G

Ten OLineman...is that normal?
    I guess, it is Two full lines...there is some depth there.
    Obviously, we can't keep all those guys on the active roster.
    We did see major improvement there this year...hopefully, they will be even better next!!

Here's a question, if MeMo leaves, who gets the third/third down guy nod???
    Maybe we do need a RB prospect around the 4th or later.
    Or are we set with Whitlock and Tahi in that role since we're counting on AD and CT...?
    Injuries are always a scary reality at the RB position.

Scanning the rest of the current roster...there is that TE, Braden Jones, someone here on PPO was all about that guy when we signed him...maybe our TE depth is better than advertised too.
    Hmm, at FB they've got Tahi listed...dang, didn't realize he was 254 lbs!
    That's a load at 6'!
    And, obviously, they liked Dugan enough to give him an extension too.
    And, we've already got 4 practice squad WRs!
    Nance, Surrency, Filani and Brent Little?
    Looks like Spielman and Co. have been busy...

Actually, you know, on the other hand, its nice to be able to narrow down the needs.
    The more I think about it, the more I'm sure we'll see a BPA draft...the pressing needs are not so obvious as they once were...inching toward consistent competitiveness with consistent, talent and character based draft picks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings#Current_roster

Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Unfortunately, we're going to be losing some guys this year.
    Mostly depth guys, but guys that have stepped up when called upon, and will most likely start and contribute at their new teams...Mewelde Moore, Dontarious Thomas, Spencer Johnson, and Darrion Scott are probably gone.
    TWill.
    BB or KH or both might be gone.
    Ferguson and Farwell are guys I hope we resign at reasonable, good for both sides, kind of deals...there might be a pretty good chance?
    They've both said they'd like to stay.
    And then there is the safety situation...one or both of Tank and Doss will most likely be gone.
    Totally hoping TRich signs for another couple of years, but, he might be gone too...I think that's pretty close to 7 draft picks...

Offensive Linemen

* 78 Matt Birk C

* 62 Ryan Cook T/C

* 63 Brian Daniels G

* 64 Anthony Herrera G

* 79 Artis Hicks G

* 76 Steve Hutchinson G

* 75 Chase Johnson T

* 72 Marcus Johnson T

* 74 Bryant McKinnie T

* 67 Dan Mozes C/G

Ten OLineman...is that normal?
    I guess, it is Two full lines...there is some depth there.
    Obviously, we can't keep all those guys on the active roster.
    We did see major improvement there this year...hopefully, they will be even better next!!

Here's a question, if MeMo leaves, who gets the third/third down guy nod???
    Maybe we do need a RB prospect around the 4th or later.
    Or are we set with Whitlock and Tahi in that role since we're counting on AD and CT...?
    Injuries are always a scary reality at the RB position.

Scanning the rest of the current roster...there is that TE, Braden Jones, someone here on PPO was all about that guy when we signed him...maybe our TE depth is better than advertised too.
    Hmm, at FB they've got Tahi listed...dang, didn't realize he was 254 lbs!
    That's a load at 6'!
    And, obviously, they liked Dugan enough to give him an extension too.
    And, we've already got 4 practice squad WRs!
    Nance, Surrency, Filani and Brent Little?
    Looks like Spielman and Co. have been busy...

Actually, you know, on the other hand, its nice to be able to narrow down the needs.
    The more I think about it, the more I'm sure we'll see a BPA draft...the pressing needs are not so obvious as they once were...inching toward consistent competitiveness with consistent, talent and character based draft picks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings#Current_roster

Very nice post my friend.

Your last statement is why I believe alot of posters won't be happy with this years draft as you won't see a bunch of picks at the higher visibility postions (ie. WR) that most fans worry about.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

I couldn't agree more.
    It will be much like last year in that the first round will bring us a BPA and then rounds 2-7 will be a hybrid of need/BPA.
    Last year we got lucky in that the BPA was an impact position.
    This year it could very well be a OL or a backup LB in the first.
    You never know.

I look forward to this draft because i know we won't end up with another troy williamsonesque draft pick that immediately gets tons of pressure dumped on him.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Kiper has us picking- DeSean Jackson, WR-California with the 17th...can you say good-bye T-WILL!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123