Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings Dream Draft 2008-going deep (7th round)

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Ooops, yup, I forgot, no 6th!
    D'oh!
    And, it has been sticking in my craw that Childress mentioned LB in his latest press...with Dontarious set to leave via FA, our depth there is going to take a pretty big hit...that might make the FB pick completely out of the question, given we've got Dugan and Tahi and maybe Richardson.
    My alternate dream draft might look like this:

Philips or Smith at S
    Trevor Laws DT
    Adarius Bowman WR
    Physical WR, gifted athlete who played basketball and football at OSU.
    Schmitt FB or, more likely Adibi LB
    Dennis Dixon QB
    He's hurt, but has potential, and we're looking at TJack starting the year off...
    John Sullivan C
    Hefney S/PR or OT depth...
    OK, now do the hard work.
    Who comes off the roster to make room for them.

Philips or Smith at S
    (Easy we need alot of S this year).
    Trevor Laws DT
    (Spencer is the logical choice - To small)
    Adarius Bowman WR I am still betting they will bring in a VET for Twill.
    Who goes then?

Dennis Dixon QB
    He's hurt, but has potential, and we're looking at TJack starting the year off...
    John Sullivan C
    Hefney S/PR or OT depth

A few ideas to get you going.
    Again, you all have to think about stuff like that when you come up with your Dream drafts unless you are just drafting guys cause there good and you don't care what happens to the other talent still on the team (i.e Allison/Rice).
    i agree but it's not like they can't carry one less TE or RB or DT or some position to replace with another receiver.
    fergie is a FA and Twill could leave.. so that's technically two spots... open.. not to mention if they carried one less position then they could keep 6 receivers instead of 5...

i'd personally rather have fergie than b-wade.. in the slot or on the roster.. IMHO... i know we gave him big money.. but i'm just not a big fan of the guy...

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

What about drafting Xavier Adibi in the 2nd and moving him to SS? At the senior bowl they were talking about him most likely being a safety in the next level anyways.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=11675

02/08/08 - PRO POTENTIAL: LB Xavier Adibi has the speed and quickness needed on coverage and also is an effective rusher (three sacks, two interceptions in 2007). The only question would be his size (6-2, 226). Still, he probably won't last past the second round. His bloodlines are good as he is the brother of former Hokie Nathaniel Adibi.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    D'oh!
    And, it has been sticking in my craw that Childress mentioned LB in his latest press...with Dontarious set to leave via FA, our depth there is going to take a pretty big hit...that might make the FB pick completely out of the question, given we've got Dugan and Tahi and maybe Richardson.

Philips or Smith at S
    Trevor Laws DT
    Adarius Bowman WR
    Dennis Dixon QB
    John Sullivan C

Philips or Smith at S
    Trevor Laws DT
    Who goes then?

Dennis Dixon QB
    John Sullivan C
    Hefney S/PR or OT depth

Again, you all have to think about stuff like that when you come up with your Dream drafts unless you are just drafting guys cause there good and you don't care what happens to the other talent still on the team (i.e Allison/Rice).
    i agree but it's not like they can't carry one less TE or RB or DT or some position to replace with another receiver.
    fergie is a FA and Twill could leave.. so that's technically two spots... open.. not to mention if they carried one less position then they could keep 6 receivers instead of 5...

i'd personally rather have fergie than b-wade.. in the slot or on the roster.. IMHO... i know we gave him big money.. but i'm just not a big fan of the guy...
    We are already short on RB and DT's as we carry more FB's and TE's than most teams.

As to Wade, I disagree.

When/if we get a guy that can take a S and a CB on a deep route, you will see the benifits of
    B-wade.
    Remember he isn't supposed to stretch the field.
    He is supposed to get off the line quickly running a precise timed route in traffic so that the QB can hit him in stride resulting in YAC.

When TJ gets more comfortable reading defenses and understanding what/when/were Bobby will be at, you will see (not as much production) Welker like use of B-wade.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    D'oh!

Philips or Smith at S
    Trevor Laws DT
    Adarius Bowman WR
    Dennis Dixon QB
    John Sullivan C

Philips or Smith at S
    Trevor Laws DT
    Who goes then?

Dennis Dixon QB
    John Sullivan C
    Hefney S/PR or OT depth

We are already short on RB and DT's as we carry more FB's and TE's than most teams.

As to Wade, I disagree.

When/if we get a guy that can take a S and a CB on a deep route, you will see the benifits of
    B-wade.
    He is supposed to get off the line quickly running a precise timed route in traffic so that the QB can hit him in stride resulting in YAC.

When TJ gets more comfortable reading defenses and understanding what/when/were Bobby will be at, you will see (not as much production) Welker like use of B-wade.
    Before ANYBODY says it, I'm going to make a clarification.. he's not saying B-wade is as good as Welker.
    He just means that Welker is a great example of how to use a slot receiver when you have the ability to stretch the field (see the Randy Moss novel in another thread).

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    D'oh!

Philips or Smith at S
    Trevor Laws DT
    Adarius Bowman WR
    Dennis Dixon QB
    John Sullivan C

Philips or Smith at S
    Trevor Laws DT
    Who goes then?

Dennis Dixon QB
    John Sullivan C
    Hefney S/PR or OT depth

As to Wade, I disagree.

B-wade.

Before ANYBODY says it, I'm going to make a clarification.. he's not saying B-wade is as good as Welker.
    He just means that Welker is a great example of how to use a slot receiver when you have the ability to stretch the field (see the Randy Moss novel in another thread).
    Thank you my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Somebody has to have your back

Just have mine when I say something stupid that will get taken wrong...

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    Somebody has to have your back

Just have mine when I say something stupid that will get taken wrong...
    Now you really are cracking me up.

Done deal.
    Nice Marrdro is standing by.
    Can't speak for Old Marrdro.
    ;D

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:
    I don't really see the Vikings takin a DT in this draft maybe next years draft but not this years
    Why not?

We are set with Kevin and Pat, Fred is a good backup/possible future replacement for Pat, but Spencer isn't worth resigning for the money he will garner in the current over priced FA market.
    He is way to small to play the 3 gap type of technique we need anyway.

90 Fred Evans DT 24 6-4 305 2 Texas State

97 Spencer Johnson DT 26 6-3 286 4 Auburn
    93 Kevin Williams DL 27 6-5 311 5 Oklahoma State
    94 Pat Williams DL 35 6-3 317 11 Texas A&M

You draft as you should.
    Go after quality talent that adds depth to your roster allowing you to have a windfall in cash cause you didn't over pay for a guy that really doesn't fit the system.

My guess, Spencer will be gone via FA and we will use at least a 2nd or a 3rd pick on a DT that adds depth/future replacement.
    I think DT is a bigger need then most realize. Lets face it, Pat is gettin up there in age.While he is dominate at what he does, his stamina is low.If Kevin goes down, even for one series...we're dangerously close to the edge.I think a 3rd or 4th round DT is a viable option.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

"Mr." wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:
    I don't really see the Vikings takin a DT in this draft maybe next years draft but not this years
    Why not?

We are set with Kevin and Pat, Fred is a good backup/possible future replacement for Pat, but Spencer isn't worth resigning for the money he will garner in the current over priced FA market.
    He is way to small to play the 3 gap type of technique we need anyway.

90 Fred Evans DT 24 6-4 305 2 Texas State

97 Spencer Johnson DT 26 6-3 286 4 Auburn
    93 Kevin Williams DL 27 6-5 311 5 Oklahoma State
    94 Pat Williams DL 35 6-3 317 11 Texas A&M

You draft as you should.

Go after quality talent that adds depth to your roster allowing you to have a windfall in cash cause you didn't over pay for a guy that really doesn't fit the system.

My guess, Spencer will be gone via FA and we will use at least a 2nd or a 3rd pick on a DT that adds depth/future replacement.
    I think DT is a bigger need then most realize. Lets face it, Pat is gettin up there in age.While he is dominate at what he does, his stamina is low.If Kevin goes down, even for one series...we're dangerously close to the edge.I think a 3rd or 4th round DT is a viable option.
    You are a very wise man.

Truth be told, I rank our areas of need as S, DT, DE, WR, QB, OL and LB in that order.

Face it, at least 2 of our 5 safeties won't be back next year and one will probably at least miss some games because of a suspension.

Spencer isn't gonna be worth the money he will garner in FA and besides he is a bit small to play the 3 gap.

We have alot of DE with potential. One (Robison, Erasmus, Edwards) might step up and be that double digit sack guy.
    I would prefer we go out and sign a VET and shitcan Erasmus because of consitant injuries.

WR.
    We have talent at the position but none of it is respect and we have some youth there.
    Sign a Vet and release T-will.

LB.
    If we loose one of our young guys that specialize in ST's then we need to draft a replacement.

Then you can argue about QB, OL etc but none of those (as is the case at most positions) will be fixed by drafting youth my friends.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:

Truth be told, I rank our areas of need as S, DT, DE, WR, QB, OL and LB in that order.
    While that may be true for the draft, what is your pecking order for the entire offseason with FA included. Certainly O-line shouldn't be that low on the 'ole Marrdro totem pole. Think starters & depth!

If it is, I might have to start a list just so I can move you over to the other column.
    :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast