"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=43847.msg754400#msg754400 date=1207507498]
    Very interesting read.
    Thanks.

you were to weigh the needs by position against the draft talent, at this time it probably shakes out like this for the likelihood of where the first-round pick will go – 1. defensive end; 2. offensive tackle; 3. cornerback; 4. wide receiver.

I would agree that 1. and 2. would give us a instant starter but not so sure that any of the WR's or CB's that would be taken would beat out our current starters.

Its not real likely. I could see Malcolm Kelly making it...if his knee's arn't shot. I think DRC or McKelvin could beat out Griffin or McCaughly. I like who we have, so I would rather make a trade or reach a little for a player who would make a better long term impact. Reggie Smith; Kenny Phillips; Phillip Merling.

I would put Safety in front of CB and WR.
    DRC is not a cover 2 corner. In fact he's the opposite. Great in coverage but small and his hitting is questionable.

I agree with your safety comment though our only back is Frampton. I guess you could say I 'feel like you do'.
    I honestly think wr is a bigger need than safety... as in... we need to draft a receiver before we draft a safety... IMO...

We have good receivers, but you can always find a serviceable safety in the later rounds IMO.. and we have signed significant backups at this point in Bouleware... i think they did that so we wouldn't have to get a safety in the early rounds.. unless a very talented one slips i.e. Phillips to our second pick or Reggie Smith to the 3rd / 4th.. Needless to say we won't reach for one...
    I hear ya my friend, I just believe......

I don't want to waste a high draft pick on a guy who might not make the team.
    I don't see any of the WR's in this class beating out anybody on our current roster with the exception of maybe Fergy (and that is only because he is old).
    As you said, we already have two decent WR's that are young and learning. We sure don't need more.
    4. Frampton and Sharper (we need to draft/develop his replacement) are glaring issues at S.
    5. We have no glaring issues at WR.
    Just a old guy (Fergy) and some youth (Rice/Allison) that need to be developed.

I don't want a servicable S, I want a guy who can step in for Sharper in 2009.
    My analysis of this class is that there are 2 for sure S in this draft class (plus 3 others) that could digest the scheme and be ready in a years time.

If I look at WR, this class has some good prospects, but only one of them is projected to be drafted above 15 with more value in the later rounds.
    Then throw in the fact that it takes a WR about 3 years to make a serious impact in the NFL, I just don't see logic behind taking one so high based on our WR corp.

Quick question.
    Who in this class do you believe would/could replace our worst reciever (I say that is Fergy) on the roster?

I can give you 5 S that can beat our Frampton on our current roster which ensures that a high pick wouldn't be wasted.
    You don't think that Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelley or Devin Thomas wouldn't be able to beat out Allison?
    Not to mention their upside in year's to come as they develop.
    I would argue that they could contribute more in their first year than Allison in his second and then progressing faster after that.
    [/quote]

I think the point is that Allison is not the one who would be cut, it would probably be Ferguson...
    Allison is also our KR, though we did bring in another who can do it....
    I also think the coaches are dedicated to developing the youth and he did a pretty good job last year of coming in and making plans when called upon.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings draft - Who's No. 1?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    [quote author=Chazz link=topic=43847.msg754500#msg754500 date=1207520651]
    Very interesting read.
    Thanks.

you were to weigh the needs by position against the draft talent, at this time it probably shakes out like this for the likelihood of where the first-round pick will go – 1. defensive end; 2. offensive tackle; 3. cornerback; 4. wide receiver.

I would agree that 1. and 2. would give us a instant starter but not so sure that any of the WR's or CB's that would be taken would beat out our current starters.

Its not real likely. I could see Malcolm Kelly making it...if his knee's arn't shot. I think DRC or McKelvin could beat out Griffin or McCaughly. I like who we have, so I would rather make a trade or reach a little for a player who would make a better long term impact. Reggie Smith; Kenny Phillips; Phillip Merling.

DRC is not a cover 2 corner. In fact he's the opposite. Great in coverage but small and his hitting is questionable.

I agree with your safety comment though our only back is Frampton. I guess you could say I 'feel like you do'.
    I honestly think wr is a bigger need than safety... as in... we need to draft a receiver before we draft a safety... IMO...

We have good receivers, but you can always find a serviceable safety in the later rounds IMO.. and we have signed significant backups at this point in Bouleware... i think they did that so we wouldn't have to get a safety in the early rounds.. unless a very talented one slips i.e. Phillips to our second pick or Reggie Smith to the 3rd / 4th.. Needless to say we won't reach for one...

I don't see any of the WR's in this class beating out anybody on our current roster with the exception of maybe Fergy (and that is only because he is old).
    As you said, we already have two decent WR's that are young and learning. We sure don't need more.
    4. Frampton and Sharper (we need to draft/develop his replacement) are glaring issues at S.

My analysis of this class is that there are 2 for sure S in this draft class (plus 3 others) that could digest the scheme and be ready in a years time.

If I look at WR, this class has some good prospects, but only one of them is projected to be drafted above 15 with more value in the later rounds.
    Then throw in the fact that it takes a WR about 3 years to make a serious impact in the NFL, I just don't see logic behind taking one so high based on our WR corp.

Quick question.
    Who in this class do you believe would/could replace our worst reciever (I say that is Fergy) on the roster?

I can give you 5 S that can beat our Frampton on our current roster which ensures that a high pick wouldn't be wasted.
    You don't think that Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelley or Devin Thomas wouldn't be able to beat out Allison?
    I would argue that they could contribute more in their first year than Allison in his second and then progressing faster after that.
    [/quote]
    Excellent question my friend.

At this point it is hard to tell.
    I think they were better collegiate WR's but remember (unlike politicians) I believe the incumbent has the leg up because he is familiar with the scheme especially when you are talking WR's.

Again, they might be more talented but I don't think they would be more polished as AA because of the reps/time he has already spent catching balls in this system.

By the way, until I see the results of Malcomb's pro day I don't think he is beating anybody out with his knees.
    For his sake, and the leagues, I hope we will see him on a field someplace next year.
    :-\
    [/quote]

If Malcolm is having knee problems, than I agree you may want to stay away from him.

Even though I don't think our WR corps is a glaring need on the team this year compared to other positions, I do believe it is bellow average in talent compared to the rest of the league.
    The problem is, our WR roster is fairly full, so drafting a WR in the late rounds makes no sense to me unless you want training camp fodder.
    This means if you want to upgrade, you have to go early.
    Then you can argue if our other position needs outweigh this need.

A lot of this will be based on the talent scouts assessment of the players ability to be a true difference maker (aka Peterson).
    If so, that trumps other position needs.
    I'm not sure that Sweed or Thomas fall in that camp, but I believe they would be definite upgrades over Allison and Fergie.

DE still looks like the most likely pick at #1, but I wouldn't be surprised if a WR, QB or OL aren't up for consideration.

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    [quote author=Chazz link=topic=43847.msg754500#msg754500 date=1207520651]
    Very interesting read.
    Thanks.

Quick question.

[/quote]

I think the point is that Allison is not the one who would be cut, it would probably be Ferguson...
    Allison is also our KR, though we did bring in another who can do it....
    I also think the coaches are dedicated to developing the youth and he did a pretty good job last year of coming in and making plans when called upon.

[/quote]

I'm not so sure about Fergie going before Allison.
    Allison may have more potential than Fergie, but Fergie serves a purpose on this squad that Allison can't fill. Fergie is also a short term guy with us, meaning someone needs to be brought up to replace him.
    Allison may be that guy, but right now I haven't seen enough of him to blindly hold out faith that he will magically turn into a top NFL WR talent.
    And if he doesn't have the potential for being a top talent, than you should find someone that does have that potential.
    There are a lot of layman receivers floating around that can fill the 5th spot if thats all he is going to be.

Again, I only say he is in jeapordy if a top pick is used on a receiver.
    I think he goes before Fergie in that case.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tastywaves" wrote:
    If Malcolm is having knee problems, than I agree you may want to stay away from him.

Even though I don't think our WR corps is a glaring need on the team this year compared to other positions, I do believe it is bellow average in talent compared to the rest of the league.
    The problem is, our WR roster is fairly full, so drafting a WR in the late rounds makes no sense to me unless you want training camp fodder.

A lot of this will be based on the talent scouts assessment of the players ability to be a true difference maker (aka Peterson).
    I'm not sure that Sweed or Thomas fall in that camp, but I believe they would be definite upgrades over Allison and Fergie.

DE still looks like the most likely pick at #1, but I wouldn't be surprised if a WR, QB or OL aren't up for consideration.
    As always, an excellent post my friend.

Players I would take at 17.....

QB - Ryan.
    Just don't see him getting to us so I assume the pick won't be used there.
    Some contend that Brohm might be an option, but to many question marks in my book.

WR - None. Again, I believe there is better value in taking a guy later as I just don't see any of this group as standout, immediate impact kindof guys.
    If this staff thinks WR is a concern I would anticipate someone being selected in the 3rd round as most of the best WR's are slipping on valueboards.

OL - Long, Clady, Otah, Albert, Williams.
    No way the first 3 (possibly 4) get to us but if any of those cats are there then I think they will be wearing purple.

RDE - Long, Harvey, Groves - I guess I wouldn't be to upset if they took one of these guys at 17 but my assumption is that between Edwards and Robison, we have our "Edge Pass Rusher" already on the roster.
    I would wait until the later rounds to get one of the tweener guys who can play RDE/OLB in our scheme.

LDE - Merling, Jackson.
    I think Jackons is a reach at 17 (should go off the board about the mid to high 20's) and Merlings hernia concerns me.
    I wouldn't be upset with Merling at 17 but I think they might wait to take one of the guys they've brought in for a visit (i.e. Langford) at a later round.

Long story short, if Ryan slips then we take a QB.
    If McKinnie is gonna be an issue we will take a LOT and if they don't think they can fix our RDE issues with Robison/Edwards it could be Harvey or Groves or Merling if they feel that a guy in the later rounds won't fix our LDE issue.

With all that said, I will probably have a OT (or Merling) at 17 in my mock draft.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:

QB - Ryan.
    Some contend that Brohm might be an option, but to many question marks in my book.

WR - None. Again, I believe there is better value in taking a guy later as I just don't see any of this group as standout, immediate impact kindof guys.
    If this staff thinks WR is a concern I would anticipate someone being selected in the 3rd round as most of the best WR's are slipping on valueboards.

No way the first 3 (possibly 4) get to us but if any of those cats are there then I think they will be wearing purple.

RDE - Long, Harvey, Groves - I guess I wouldn't be to upset if they took one of these guys at 17 but my assumption is that between Edwards and Robison, we have our "Edge Pass Rusher" already on the roster.
    I would wait until the later rounds to get one of the tweener guys who can play RDE/OLB in our scheme.

LDE - Merling, Jackson.
    I think Jackons is a reach at 17 (should go off the board about the mid to high 20's) and Merlings hernia concerns me.
    I wouldn't be upset with Merling at 17 but I think they might wait to take one of the guys they've brought in for a visit (i.e. Langford) at a later round.

If McKinnie is gonna be an issue we will take a LOT and if they don't think they can fix our RDE issues with Robison/Edwards it could be Harvey or Groves or Merling if they feel that a guy in the later rounds won't fix our LDE issue.

With all that said, I will probably have a OT (or Merling) at 17 in my mock draft.
    According to PFT's value chart for players, these are the guys listed as middle first rounders: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/value040808.htm

Defense:
    DE Phillip Merling, LB Keith Rivers, CB Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Mike Jenkins
    Offense:
    RB Rashard Mendenhall, WR Devin Thomas, OT Ryan Clady, OT Jeff Otah, OG Branden Albert, OT Chris Williams

They break their draft charts down to A, B and C for each round and indicate where they believe the players will be drafted based on various feedback and input.
    This is not where they think they should be drafted, but where they believe they will be drafted.

For arguments sake, lets say this is pretty accurate.
    The above guys would represent picks #11 - #20.
    At pick #17 there should be 4 of these guys left.

The question becomes which guys in this group would you not pick at #17 (maybe Mendenhall, Rivers, DRC and Jenkins).
    If even one of them gets selected before us, then you've got a pretty good chance of getting one of the guys you mentioned above.

Moving up a few spots isn't out of the question either.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:

QB - Ryan.

LDE - Merling, Jackson.

According to PFT's value chart for players, these are the guys listed as middle first rounders: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/value040808.htm

Defense:
    DE Phillip Merling, LB Keith Rivers, CB Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Mike Jenkins
    Offense:
    RB Rashard Mendenhall, WR Devin Thomas, OT Ryan Clady, OT Jeff Otah, OG Branden Albert, OT Chris Williams

They break their draft charts down to A, B and C for each round and indicate where they believe the players will be drafted based on various feedback and input.
    This is not where they think they should be drafted, but where they believe they will be drafted.

For arguments sake, lets say this is pretty accurate.
    The above guys would represent picks #11 - #20.
    At pick #17 there should be 4 of these guys left.

The question becomes which guys in this group would you not pick at #17 (maybe Mendenhall, Rivers, DRC and Jenkins).
    If even one of them gets selected before us, then you've got a pretty good chance of getting one of the guys you mentioned above.

Moving up a few spots isn't out of the question either.
    Again, excellent stuff my friend.
    Thanks for the link.

I by thier draft mag every year.
    Unfortunately they put it out before some of the pro-day work outs and it doesn't cover alot of what the teams do in FA but it does give a great analysis of the players and were they go.

I have it open during the draft and use it to get the first cut on what type of player each team draft.

Again, thanks.
    I will compare thier value board to the mag and see how much the players have changed.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:

QB - Ryan.

LDE - Merling, Jackson.

I think Jackson is a second round pick from what i've been hearing... but with that said...

Who's to say we use the exact same roster makeup as last year...??
    We could very easily just not carry 4 safeties like we did last year and keep 6 wr's on the roster.
    One also with return abilities, just in case say.. Hicks isn't activated much like Mewelde Moore..

Additionally, as you all know.. i like Alllison and think he'll be a good asset in the future.. if anyone had to go,, you all know i'd think it should be Wade.. based on the fact that i just don't think he's that good...

But with that said, we don't need to carry 4 safeties or even 6? DB's.. especially with the addition of Williams being very versitile..

Some or more than one of your fan favorites will not make the team this year.. and I think many of the top 5 receivers,

Desean Jackson, Sweed, Kelly, Thomas, and Hardy would/could easily beat out any of the bottom three within a year.
    Those guys are big, fast, strong and all potential #1 receivers at the next level.
    Stranger things have happened like a COlston...

I personally dont see us taking a receiver until the 3rd / 4th round.. but i still think we take ATLEAST 1 WR and more than likely a TE

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:

QB - Ryan.

LDE - Merling, Jackson.

So...you wouldn't take Gholston??? :'(

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

trade up to 4th overall and get Long/Gholston if they fall
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    I think Jackson is a second round pick from what i've been hearing... but with that said...

Who's to say we use the exact same roster makeup as last year...??
    We could very easily just not carry 4 safeties like we did last year and keep 6 wr's on the roster.
    One also with return abilities, just in case say.. Hicks isn't activated much like Mewelde Moore..

Additionally, as you all know.. i like Alllison and think he'll be a good asset in the future.. if anyone had to go,, you all know i'd think it should be Wade.. based on the fact that i just don't think he's that good...

But with that said, we don't need to carry 4 safeties or even 6? DB's.. especially with the addition of Williams being very versitile..

Some or more than one of your fan favorites will not make the team this year.. and I think many of the top 5 receivers,

Desean Jackson, Sweed, Kelly, Thomas, and Hardy would/could easily beat out any of the bottom three within a year.
    Those guys are big, fast, strong and all potential #1 receivers at the next level.
    Stranger things have happened like a COlston...

I personally dont see us taking a receiver until the 3rd / 4th round.. but i still think we take ATLEAST 1 WR and more than likely a TE
    You are correct, I think it is way to early in the Chillers tenure as a HC to determine what they will have with respect to how many they carry at each position.

My assesment/comments are based on what they carried last year and what I think they might do this year in ways of shoring up positions of concern (DE/S) and to get players on the field that didn't have a roster position last year (Mills).

When you look at WR's I think they will be happy to carry 5 (BB, Rice, Wade, Fergy, Allison).
    That gives you a good mix of vet/youth and gives you an extra one to throw onto the game day roster if the situation dictates.
    I expect that a gameday WR roster will look like BB, Rice, Wade and Fergy with AA being inactive alot this year again unless they can find a spot for him on ST's but who do you leave off of that?

As far as S, we run the shit out of our Defensive players in the cover 2 scheme even when they get off the field quick.
    If for some reason we see teams sustaining drives then you will see them carry 5 like they did last year.
    Watch closely and you will see alot of our S on ST's as well.

We might see a change in number of players carried at the following positions:

a.
    OL.
    If they draft a guy like Gilbert who can play both T and G you could get rid of two slackers like Hicks and M Johnson which would free up a spot on the 53 man roster.
    Another way is to add Mozes who can act as backup to the G and C position.
    Add both and you free up two roster posisitions.

b.
    TE/FB.
    With the staffs percieved love for TE's and FB that can fill both roles, they could lose one of our TE specific players to free up a space.
    Sad part of looking at those positions is that the only one I see that is available to get the ax would be Klieny or Tahi.
    Can you imagine the uproar from the crotch sniffers on here would think we can't live without Kleiny?

Regardless, the staff is gonna have to cut one to make room for Mills if he in fact is as good as everyone on here thinks.

Anyway, it will be very interesting to watch the staff get this roster down to 53 with what we currently have let alone to add 5-7 draft picks.
    ;D

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345