Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings draft - Who's No. 1?

"Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Very interesting read.
    Thanks.

you were to weigh the needs by position against the draft talent, at this time it probably shakes out like this for the likelihood of where the first-round pick will go – 1. defensive end; 2. offensive tackle; 3. cornerback; 4. wide receiver.

I would agree that 1. and 2. would give us a instant starter but not so sure that any of the WR's or CB's that would be taken would beat out our current starters.

Its not real likely. I could see Malcolm Kelly making it...if his knee's arn't shot. I think DRC or McKelvin could beat out Griffin or McCaughly. I like who we have, so I would rather make a trade or reach a little for a player who would make a better long term impact. Reggie Smith; Kenny Phillips; Phillip Merling.

I would put Safety in front of CB and WR.
    DRC is not a cover 2 corner. In fact he's the opposite. Great in coverage but small and his hitting is questionable.

I agree with your safety comment though our only back is Frampton. I guess you could say I 'feel like you do'.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Very interesting read.
    Thanks.

you were to weigh the needs by position against the draft talent, at this time it probably shakes out like this for the likelihood of where the first-round pick will go – 1. defensive end; 2. offensive tackle; 3. cornerback; 4. wide receiver.

I would agree that 1. and 2. would give us a instant starter but not so sure that any of the WR's or CB's that would be taken would beat out our current starters.

Its not real likely. I could see Malcolm Kelly making it...if his knee's arn't shot. I think DRC or McKelvin could beat out Griffin or McCaughly. I like who we have, so I would rather make a trade or reach a little for a player who would make a better long term impact. Reggie Smith; Kenny Phillips; Phillip Merling.

I would put Safety in front of CB and WR.
    DRC is not a cover 2 corner. In fact he's the opposite. Great in coverage but small and his hitting is questionable.

I agree with your safety comment though our only back is Frampton. I guess you could say I 'feel like you do'.
    I honestly think wr is a bigger need than safety... as in... we need to draft a receiver before we draft a safety... IMO...

We have good receivers, but you can always find a serviceable safety in the later rounds IMO.. and we have signed significant backups at this point in Bouleware... i think they did that so we wouldn't have to get a safety in the early rounds.. unless a very talented one slips i.e. Phillips to our second pick or Reggie Smith to the 3rd / 4th.. Needless to say we won't reach for one...

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    I was also thinking about Albert as well.... as a sleeper pick that we could move to either tackle position...

However, i was just watching Todd McShay, and he believes albert is better suited as a guard, where Mel thinks he can play both and thus has him going in the top 5 of his new mock..(i think he just did that to get some buzz going about him and will move him down right before the draft)....

None the less, if all the tackles are gone, i wouldn't be surprised to see albert's name called and moved to Tackle due to his athletic ability...
    I don't put too much stock in what McShay or Kiper have to say.

I like the NFLN's analysts.
    They had former Texans GM Charley Casserly (the guy everyone bashed for taking Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush) on the other day, and he thinks Albert can be a stud at either position and expects him to be a top 20 pick.
    The only reason he didn't play tackle full-time is because they have a beastly LT at UVA already and Albert is versatile enough to play guard.
    I'd be happy with he or Williams at 17.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    i hate that some people say that cornerback is a high need in the draft, i actually think it is one of the lowest needs along with running back and guard. MM and Gordon are gonna be very good corners(IMO), so i dont think we need to draft any corners at all.
    I agree. We have young corners and we don't need anymore. If anything we should of pick up a FA.

adamkirsch is offline Training Camp

Everyone talks about the young corners, and I agree to a great extent ... the Vikes have three young (2 years or less) corners in Griffin, McCauley, and Gordon.
    All three have been somewhat shaky during their tenure with the team, but it takes time for young players to develop and they've shown promise so the Vikes should stick with them.
    That's the argument I'm hearing, anyway, and one with which I agree.

Now, take this same argument and apply it to defensive end.
    We've got three young (2 years of less) defensive ends in Edwards, Robison & Mitchell.
    All three have been somewhat shaky during their tenure with the team, but it takes time for young players to develop and they've show promise so let's stick with them.
    (Granted there's not a Winfield of the DE group....).

(Also, I realize the both Robison/Edwards play RDE, but are each really limited to play RDE?
    Couldn't one of them move to LDE?)

My point is this:
    I'm not chomping at the bit for the Vikes to get a DE in the first round and wouldn't even be that upset if we didn't take one in the 2d or 3d.
    I think that we've invested heavily in DE over the past few years, and even if James isn't able to come around, we've still got some good young DEs and I think Edwards and Robison could become absolute studs this year.

I think the Vikes are in a great spot to take the BPA from a variety of positions:
    QB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB.
    The only positions I would balk at in the first round are RB, K, P, and Long Snapper.

Granted there likely isn't a TE or QB worth taking who will be available to us at that point;
    I'm just saying that if there WERE, I'd be fine with the pick.

But if forced to pick a position where we have the most need, to me its OT.
    With McKinnie's problems, I would love to solidify the position with one of the first round talent OTs, if one is available.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"adamkirsch" wrote:
    Everyone talks about the young corners, and I agree to a great extent ... the Vikes have three young (2 years or less) corners in Griffin, McCauley, and Gordon.
    All three have been somewhat shaky during their tenure with the team, but it takes time for young players to develop and they've shown promise so the Vikes should stick with them.

We've got three young (2 years of less) defensive ends in Edwards, Robison & Mitchell.
    All three have been somewhat shaky during their tenure with the team, but it takes time for young players to develop and they've show promise so let's stick with them.

(Also, I realize the both Robison/Edwards play RDE, but are each really limited to play RDE?

My point is this:
    I'm not chomping at the bit for the Vikes to get a DE in the first round and wouldn't even be that upset if we didn't take one in the 2d or 3d.
    I think that we've invested heavily in DE over the past few years, and even if James isn't able to come around, we've still got some good young DEs and I think Edwards and Robison could become absolute studs this year.

I think the Vikes are in a great spot to take the BPA from a variety of positions:
    The only positions I would balk at in the first round are RB, K, P, and Long Snapper.

Granted there likely isn't a TE or QB worth taking who will be available to us at that point;

With McKinnie's problems, I would love to solidify the position with one of the first round talent OTs, if one is available.

The closer the draft gets, and the more research i do, the more I agree with that statement.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "adamkirsch" wrote:

My point is this:

The closer the draft gets, and the more research i do, the more I agree with that statement.
    +3

The more I think about it the more I want to take a OT in the 1st round. This will help TJ and Peterson. TJ is going to need all the protection he can get. I think he is more important than helping our CBs with a pass rusher. I am in favor of giving Edwards and Robison a shot. McKinnie on the other hand is really pushing my buttons. Not sure Cook is the answer on the right since he was drafted as a center.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"adamkirsch" wrote:

My point is this:

I absolutely agree! I actually hope they don't draft a DE in the first 3 rounds. I'm really pulling for Chris Williams in the 1st since Mckinnie seems to be a major jack ass, and is overpaid anyway.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

17th BPA (hopefully a really good DE or OT).

48th We need a QB. We all hope TJ will work out. But look at what the Vikings management does for backups. We need someone to make TJ fight for his job.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"CCthebest" wrote:
    17th BPA (hopefully a really good DE or OT).

48th We need a QB. We all hope TJ will work out. But look at what the Vikings management does for backups. We need someone to make TJ fight for his job.
    i would rather go DE in the first round OT and the second and then get Booty in the third

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast