Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings draft - Who's No. 1?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jrandlefan" wrote:
    I like Quentin Groves as well. However I would not like to trade down to get him. I realize that he is a late 1st early 2nd pick. Maybe trade up in the 2nd but not down in the 1st. We have the picks to trade up. Why trade down to get more picks and lose out on potentially better first round talent? If Harvey is off the board which is VERY likely. I would like to see them go OL in the first round with Chris Williams or trade up for Ryan Clady. Clady is a beast! Quentin is next on my list as far as a pure "get at the QB" edge rusher. Merling is more of a everydown run-stopping DE and I would rather see a powerful pass-disrupting DE like Quentin Groves in our lineup. Another 2nd round gem that i would be very excited to see come to us is Trevor Laws. A complete class act. Impressive on the field, great motor, multiple sport althete, very well spoken in interviews.
    You my friend just moved up a column on the ole spread sheet.

Excellent post with several good points especially the one I bolded.
    ;D
    Teams trade up or down to get the player they want in the the slot they want.
    If Groves is not truly a 17 pick, but is rather a 23 pick or something like that, why not trade down.
    Sure there could be better players available, but maybe they don't fit our needs, so we trade.

Example, if McFadden is available at 17, do we take him?
    No, unless someone wants to do a draft and trade scenario.

Trading down (or up), makes perfectly good sense to get the players you want where you want them.
    Why reach for a player?
    Many say we reached for TJ, but the staff felt he was the player we needed and made a move.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jrandlefan" wrote:
    I like Quentin Groves as well. However I would not like to trade down to get him. I realize that he is a late 1st early 2nd pick. Maybe trade up in the 2nd but not down in the 1st. We have the picks to trade up. Why trade down to get more picks and lose out on potentially better first round talent? If Harvey is off the board which is VERY likely. I would like to see them go OL in the first round with Chris Williams or trade up for Ryan Clady. Clady is a beast! Quentin is next on my list as far as a pure "get at the QB" edge rusher. Merling is more of a everydown run-stopping DE and I would rather see a powerful pass-disrupting DE like Quentin Groves in our lineup. Another 2nd round gem that i would be very excited to see come to us is Trevor Laws. A complete class act. Impressive on the field, great motor, multiple sport althete, very well spoken in interviews.

;D
    If Groves is not truly a 17 pick, but is rather a 23 pick or something like that, why not trade down.
    Sure there could be better players available, but maybe they don't fit our needs, so we trade.

Trading down (or up), makes perfectly good sense to get the players you want where you want them.
    Why reach for a player?
    Many say we reached for TJ, but the staff felt he was the player we needed and made a move.
    say we do trade down to get Groves and get an extra pick out of the deal

we then can trade that pick with another pick and move up in the second or where ever the vikings think they could get the guy they want...

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

i hate that some people say that cornerback is a high need in the draft, i actually think it is one of the lowest needs along with running back and guard. MM and Gordon are gonna be very good corners(IMO), so i dont think we need to draft any corners at all.

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very interesting read.
    Thanks.

you were to weigh the needs by position against the draft talent, at this time it probably shakes out like this for the likelihood of where the first-round pick will go – 1. defensive end; 2. offensive tackle; 3. cornerback; 4. wide receiver.

I would agree that 1. and 2. would give us a instant starter but not so sure that any of the WR's or CB's that would be taken would beat out our current starters.

Its not real likely. I could see Malcolm Kelly making it...if his knee's arn't shot. I think DRC or McKelvin could beat out Griffin or McCaughly. I like who we have, so I would rather make a trade or reach a little for a player who would make a better long term impact. Reggie Smith; Kenny Phillips; Phillip Merling.

I would put Safety in front of CB and WR.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"jrandlefan" wrote:

I like the Chris Williams pick. He's played Zone and Man blocking, and considered a better pass blocker. I would like to see a LT who can really protect the QB.

Clady will likely go to early to realistically trade up for, but I definately like what he brings to the table.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jrandlefan" wrote:

;D

Why reach for a player?
    I hear ya to a point.

I agree that trading down to get extra picks (all the while getting the guy you are targeting) is a good thing but lets not forget that a bad thing can happen.....

Someone else might take the guy you are targeting.
    Lets not forget what happened when they took Griffin and waited on Clemens.....

17th - I would stay were they are at and take the BPA (that also fills a need) i.e. DE or OT.
    48th - I would stay were they are at and take the BPA DE, OT, S, etc
    All others, I would move up or down depending on what was available and what the perception is on what the other teams ahead/behind us are targeting there based on the value board.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Trading down for extra picks would set us up for trading back up later if we see a guy we like who is likely to go before us.
    I think there will be a lot of talent still there in the 2nd round, and would love an extra pick there.
    If we land Clady or Williams, I'm all for getting a 2nd rounder out of McDumbass.

I like us going with best OT available in the first, unless that position gets totally cleaned out by 17.
    In the 2nd, I'd love to trade up enough to snag Laws, but right now, I've got him going to the 49ers in the first round of my mock.

I think Otah is the better run blocker, mauler type of guy, and Williams is the more athletic, versatile, and most likely a better zone and pass blocker.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VikingButcher is offline Waterboy

We get Groves we'll be fine.
    Jackson will come a long at QB we just gotta get him some more weapons and let the line come together some more and we'll be fine.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Trading down for extra picks would set us up for trading back up later if we see a guy we like who is likely to go before us.
    I think there will be a lot of talent still there in the 2nd round, and would love an extra pick there.
    If we land Clady or Williams, I'm all for getting a 2nd rounder out of McDumbass.

I like us going with best OT available in the first, unless that position gets totally cleaned out by 17.
    In the 2nd, I'd love to trade up enough to snag Laws, but right now, I've got him going to the 49ers in the first round of my mock.

I think Otah is the better run blocker, mauler type of guy, and Williams is the more athletic, versatile, and most likely a better zone and pass blocker.
    What about Branden Albert who can play guard and tackle?
    He is an athletic mauler, just what we need next to Hutch.
    I think, besides maybe Jake Long, he has the most upside of any Olineman in this draft.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

I was also thinking about Albert as well.... as a sleeper pick that we could move to either tackle position...

However, i was just watching Todd McShay, and he believes albert is better suited as a guard, where Mel thinks he can play both and thus has him going in the top 5 of his new mock..(i think he just did that to get some buzz going about him and will move him down right before the draft)....

None the less, if all the tackles are gone, i wouldn't be surprised to see albert's name called and moved to Tackle due to his athletic ability...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast