Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    Vikings Draft Preview

    http://www.rototimes.com/article.php?article_id=3339

    Wants and Needs: Head coach Brad Childress has indicated that he is willing to let young quarterbacks Brooks Bollinger and Tarvaris Jackson compete for the starting job this summer. Of course, that could be a smokescreen, as Childress has also noted that he would at least consider the idea of selecting a signal caller with the No. 7 overall pick in the draft. Troy Williamson and Bobby Wade are the most recognizable names amongst the Vikings receiving corps. Ouch! Clearly, the Purple will be in the market for wideout help on draft day. Childress has also indicated that he would like to lighten the load on starting running back Chester Taylor, and they might use the draft to find a complementary back. Minnesota led the league in run defense last season, but their pass defense left plenty to be desired. Childress seems to attribute most of that problem to a lack of a consistent pass rush. The Vikings have used first-round picks on defensive ends in two of the last three drafts, but neither Kenechi Udeze nor Erasmus James have proven that they can put pressure on opposing quarterbacks. In fact, Udeze has registered only six sacks in three years, while James has only four sacks in two seasons (both players missed a substantial amount of time due to injuries).

    Potential Selections: Childress has done his share of gushing over wide receiver Calvin Johnson. Unfortunately, so has just about every other coach in the league, so the only way the Vikings will get Johnson is if they trade up. A more likely scenario appears to be trading down and grabbing a wideout such as Ted Ginn Jr., Robert Meachem, Dwayne Bowe, or Dwayne Jarrett if they have their hearts set on selecting a receiver in the first round. They could also fill a hole at a different position with the first-round pick and then hope that receivers such as Steve Smith or Sidney Rice are still available in round two. It would be difficult for the Vikings to pass should JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn fall into their laps. For that matter, Adrian Peterson could still be there and form a nice one-two punch with Taylor in the backfield. Gaines Adams has the speed to pressure the quarterback and might be just what Minnesota is looking for at defensive end. If Adams is gone, fellow defensive end Jamaal Anderson could be a target. The Vikings appear set at safety with Darren Sharper returning, but he's not getting any younger and there were rumblings that he wasn't a good fit in the cover-two defense last year. Therefore, LSU safety LaRon Landry is a legitimate possibility with the seventh overall pick.

    Minnesota's Picks:

    Round One: 7th overall
    Round Two: 41st overall
    Round Three: 72nd overall
    Round Four: 106th overall
    Round Five: 146th overall
    Round Six: 182nd overall
    Round Seven: 217th overall
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings Draft Preview

    The article is dated 11 April, but it is obvious he wrote it a couple of weeks ago.
    Specifically, he talks about our safety corps, but doesn't mention Doss.

    Trading down for extra picks would be nice, but as the teams are starting to shape up I see fewer and fewer possible trade scenarios.
    One of the few left would be trading the #7 for Miami's first and third if Quinn is still on the board.


    I actually expect us to take the BPA regardless of team need at the number 7 pick.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Vikings Draft Preview

    http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888912&topic=332 19.0

    I thought I had read that article before ;D

  4. #4
    BritishVike's Avatar
    BritishVike is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    143

    Re: Vikings Draft Preview

    I think with the top 2 picks we need to address DE and WR, if we can trade down then thats what we should do, perhaps acquire another 2nd round pick and draft a decent CB or TE.
    This draft is anyone guess though and i wouldnt be suprised if we chose one of about 20 different options!!

    One things for sure though. . . I cant wait for the draft!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    999

    Re: Vikings Draft Preview

    This concise recap makes some sense.
    But a few points are worth mentioning.

    WR - picking a WR at 7 when CJohnson is gone doesn't bother me as it is a need.
    Trying to trade back to take a WR at 10-15 and gain an extra pick is too much of a risk.
    The Vikings have few great needs; i.e. WR, so the extra pick is not needed as badly as a top quality, good fit WR.

    QB - upgrade with Quinn with the 7th pick, if possible, because WRs can be found in later rounds.
    Franchise quality QBs aren't as commonplace as good quality WRs.
    Everyone knows Tom Brady, but few people can name all of the Pats {sarcasm on} PRO BOWL WRs {sarcasm off} who helped them win 3 SBs.
    :

    Passing on Quinn because Jackson is on the roster is foolish; if you have spare cash (i.e. draft pick #7), you don't turn away from an investment that can yield 12% simply because you are content with an 8% return on a stock you are currently holding.

    DE - not taking a DE at 7 simply because two prior DEs didn't pan out is a false application of probability and correlation concepts.
    The performance of DScott, EJames, and K.Udeze are largely independent of the [erformance of G.Adams, Anderson, etc.
    The Vikings odds of selecting and coaching a good DE may be better without Tice and his DL coach involved.
    Childress wasn't involved in the selection of James, Udeze and Scott.


    But, the loss of EJames and the influence of the defensive line coach are important considerations.
    Will EJames' return help, and will the DL coach be better able to apply pass rush pressure this year with the existing roster DEs?

    RB - an upgrade with APeterson at 7 makes sense if Quinn and CJohnson are gone.

    I'm unsure of whether or not taking AP at 7 with a top DE on the board means Childress feels the current DEs are adequate, or if he feels the potential improvement in the offense is more important than improving the pass rush beyond the return of EJames.

    S - Doss and TWilliams are rehabbing prior injuries.
    Nothing I've read indicated they both won't be ready to play in 2007.
    Odds are that at least one of them will recover well enough to field a good starting pair of safeties and two quality backups.


    People who claim Landry is a need because Doss and TWilliams are both questionable to return are ignoring the slim odds that both will not return to form.
    Others who claim Landry will be a star in the NFL ignore the Vikings greater need for 'stars' who play WR, and that many other players in the draft will be 'stars'; e.g. CJohnson, etc.

    Well, if that author can recycle his ideas, I can recycle mine!
    ;D



    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings Draft Preview

    "BritishVike" wrote:
    I think with the top 2 picks we need to address DE and WR, if we can trade down then thats what we should do, perhaps acquire another 2nd round pick and draft a decent CB or TE.
    This draft is anyone guess though and i wouldnt be suprised if we chose one of about 20 different options!!

    One things for sure though. . . I cant wait for the draft!!
    I am a big proponent of trading down, however, I don't think it will happen.


    IMOA I think there are only 2 or 3 players worth trading up for (CJ, AP and maybe Quinn).
    They will be gone by 7 if most scenarios play out.
    Thereby nullifying anyone from wanting to trade up with us.

    (Yes I know I posted that same thought someplace else today)
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    elgordo's Avatar
    elgordo is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    89

    Re: Vikings Draft Preview

    "Purplexing" wrote:
    This concise recap makes some sense.
    But a few points are worth mentioning.

    WR - picking a WR at 7 when CJohnson is gone doesn't bother me as it is a need.
    [glow=red,2,300]Trying to trade back to take a WR at 10-15 and gain an extra pick is too much of a risk. [/glow]
    The Vikings have few great needs; i.e. WR, so the extra pick is not needed as badly as a top quality, good fit WR.

    QB - upgrade with Quinn with the 7th pick, if possible,[glow=red,2,300] because WRs can be found in later rounds[/glow].
    Franchise quality QBs aren't as commonplace as good quality WRs.
    Everyone knows Tom Brady, but few people can name all of the Pats {sarcasm on} PRO BOWL WRs {sarcasm off} who helped them win 3 SBs.

    :

    Passing on Quinn because Jackson is on the roster is foolish; if you have spare cash (i.e. draft pick #7), you don't turn away from an investment that can yield 12% simply because you are content with an 8% return on a stock you are currently holding.

    DE - not taking a DE at 7 simply because two prior DEs didn't pan out is a false application of probability and correlation concepts.
    The performance of DScott, EJames, and K.Udeze are largely independent of the [erformance of G.Adams, Anderson, etc.
    The Vikings odds of selecting and coaching a good DE may be better without Tice and his DL coach involved.
    Childress wasn't involved in the selection of James, Udeze and Scott.



    But, the loss of EJames and the influence of the defensive line coach are important considerations.
    Will EJames' return help, and will the DL coach be better able to apply pass rush pressure this year with the existing roster DEs?

    RB - an upgrade with APeterson at 7 makes sense if Quinn and CJohnson are gone.

    I'm unsure of whether or not taking AP at 7 with a top DE on the board means Childress feels the current DEs are adequate, or if he feels the potential improvement in the offense is more important than improving the pass rush beyond the return of EJames.

    S - Doss and TWilliams are rehabbing prior injuries.
    Nothing I've read indicated they both won't be ready to play in 2007.
    Odds are that at least one of them will recover well enough to field a good starting pair of safeties and two quality backups.


    People who claim Landry is a need because Doss and TWilliams are both questionable to return are ignoring the slim odds that both will not return to form.
    Others who claim Landry will be a star in the NFL ignore the Vikings greater need for 'stars' who play WR, and that many other players in the draft will be 'stars'; e.g. CJohnson, etc.

    Well, if that author can recycle his ideas, I can recycle mine!

    ;D





    Don't these two statements contradict each other?????

    If you can always pick up a reciever in later rounds, why would it be such a risk to get a reciever from picks 10 - 15?

    Then you could pick up another reciever with the extra pick and get two for one.

  8. #8
    BritishVike's Avatar
    BritishVike is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    143

    Re: Vikings Draft Preview

    Good point.
    I think the most likely person to still be there is Quinn which will allow us to trade with Miami (someone else said that somewhere on here) and we can get a 3rd round pick perhaps and still draft a DE Anderson if he's there. Im not sure whether Childress will snap Quinn up if he's still there either, Miami may have to entice him a little more than a 3rd rounder.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    999

    Re: Vikings Draft Preview

    "elgordo" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    This concise recap makes some sense.
    But a few points are worth mentioning.

    WR - picking a WR at 7 when CJohnson is gone doesn't bother me as it is a need.
    [glow=red,2,300]Trying to trade back to take a WR at 10-15 and gain an extra pick is too much of a risk. [/glow]
    The Vikings have few great needs; i.e. WR, so the extra pick is not needed as badly as a top quality, good fit WR.

    QB - upgrade with Quinn with the 7th pick, if possible,[glow=red,2,300] because WRs can be found in later rounds[/glow].
    Franchise quality QBs aren't as commonplace as good quality WRs.
    Everyone knows Tom Brady, but few people can name all of the Pats {sarcasm on} PRO BOWL WRs {sarcasm off} who helped them win 3 SBs.

    :

    Passing on Quinn because Jackson is on the roster is foolish; if you have spare cash (i.e. draft pick #7), you don't turn away from an investment that can yield 12% simply because you are content with an 8% return on a stock you are currently holding.

    DE - not taking a DE at 7 simply because two prior DEs didn't pan out is a false application of probability and correlation concepts.
    The performance of DScott, EJames, and K.Udeze are largely independent of the [erformance of G.Adams, Anderson, etc.
    The Vikings odds of selecting and coaching a good DE may be better without Tice and his DL coach involved.
    Childress wasn't involved in the selection of James, Udeze and Scott.



    But, the loss of EJames and the influence of the defensive line coach are important considerations.
    Will EJames' return help, and will the DL coach be better able to apply pass rush pressure this year with the existing roster DEs?

    RB - an upgrade with APeterson at 7 makes sense if Quinn and CJohnson are gone.

    I'm unsure of whether or not taking AP at 7 with a top DE on the board means Childress feels the current DEs are adequate, or if he feels the potential improvement in the offense is more important than improving the pass rush beyond the return of EJames.

    S - Doss and TWilliams are rehabbing prior injuries.
    Nothing I've read indicated they both won't be ready to play in 2007.
    Odds are that at least one of them will recover well enough to field a good starting pair of safeties and two quality backups.


    People who claim Landry is a need because Doss and TWilliams are both questionable to return are ignoring the slim odds that both will not return to form.
    Others who claim Landry will be a star in the NFL ignore the Vikings greater need for 'stars' who play WR, and that many other players in the draft will be 'stars'; e.g. CJohnson, etc.

    Well, if that author can recycle his ideas, I can recycle mine!

    ;D





    Don't these two statements contradict each other?????

    If you can always pick up a reciever in later rounds, why would it be such a risk to get a reciever from picks 10 - 15?

    Then you could pick up another reciever with the extra pick and get two for one.
    The highlighted statements are contradictory WHEN TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT.

    You ignored the subsequent line that pointed out the GREATER FRANCHISE VALUE OF A FRANCHISE QB over a top WR, and the example of Tom Brady being a common denominator in the NE Pats success in the SB, whereas their WRs weren't PRO BOWL players.

    Trading back to 10-15 means risking losing a top quality WR who would be available at 7 (if a franchise QB is not available at 7).
    IF that WR is lost by trading back too far, the next best WR is taken, and the extra pick gained wouldn't make up for that loss.
    Every team needs a 'go to' WR, and a few role player WRs to fill out the roster.

    The Vikings have McMullen as a 'fair to good' 3rd down, 'go to' WR, but they need to greatly upgrade over him in the draft with Meachem, Bowe, Jarrett or Ginn.
    Any WR taken in rd 2 or later would have much less impact than the WR taken in rd 1.


    With Williamson possibly recovering from the dropsies, McMullen available in limited duty, and the addition of Bobby Wade, and assuming a top quality WR is taken at 7, there is less need for an impact WR in rd 2+ via the EXTRA pick gained from a trade back in rd 1.




    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings Draft Preview

    The Vikings have McMullen as a 'fair to good' 3rd down, 'go to' WR, but they need to greatly upgrade over him in the draft with Meachem, Bowe, Jarrett or Ginn.
    Any WR taken in rd 2 or later would have much less impact than the WR taken in rd 1.


    With Williamson possibly recovering from the dropsies, McMullen available in limited duty, and the addition of Bobby Wade, and assuming a top quality WR is taken at 7, there is less need for an impact WR in rd 2+ via the EXTRA pick gained from a trade back in rd 1.
    Get ready Purp, here come the WR haters....... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings draft preview Part I A look at specialists
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
  2. Vikings 2008 Draft Preview
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 02:06 AM
  3. Vikings Draft Preview - Roto Times
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
  4. NFL.com NFC North preview...also Vikings preview
    By cajunvike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-25-2005, 05:16 AM
  5. Draft Preview
    By PacNWVike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 02:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •