Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings draft countdown: What will be left?

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings draft countdown: What will be left?

Jus thoping it's not Britten. I much rather draft a Shipley and move him to RT in the 5th as his run blocking is phenomenal.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Jus thoping it's not Britten. I much rather draft a Shipley and move him to RT in the 5th as his run blocking is phenomenal.
    Pass protection is the bigger issue for OTs.
    Usually teams look at guards for run blocking.
    We need someone who can keep whoever is back there on their feet.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

It sure would be interesting if Ray Maualuga slipped to us at #22. Linebacker depth is a concern of mine and he would be a score if he was available at #22. WR is such a crapshoot in the draft, and frankly, after Crabtree, and Maclin I'd rather solidify our O-line with a sure pick like Oher, Britton, Loadholt, or Beatty. Any one of those guys would surely contribute for years, where as a young WR may take 3 years to develope. We have a couple already who's time is now.

"PurpleTide" wrote:

It sure would be interesting if Ray Maualuga slipped to us at #22. Linebacker depth is a concern of mine and he would be a score if he was available at #22. WR is such a crapshoot in the draft, and frankly, after Crabtree, and Maclin I'd rather solidify our O-line with a sure pick like Oher, Britton, Loadholt, or Beatty. Any one of those guys would surely contribute for years, where as a young WR may take 3 years to develope. We have a couple already who's time is now.
    We do not have a couple Wrs. We have 1. Rice. AA has not done anything ever. He returned 1 kick that's it. JJ is and has always been waiver wire fodder. Cut him please! We need college wrs that dominated in college. he did even do that in Division 1AA

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

We do not have a couple Wrs. We have 1. Rice. AA has not done anything ever. He returned 1 kick that's it. JJ is and has always been waiver wire fodder. Cut him please! We need college wrs that dominated in college. he did even do that in Division 1AA
    Not saying Maualuga won't be a stud and yes we need depth but there is alot more that we need to spend a is round pick on then LB.
    There are some very solid players that would be around later that would give us some nice depth

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

We do not have a couple Wrs. We have 1. Rice. AA has not done anything ever. He returned 1 kick that's it. JJ is and has always been waiver wire fodder. Cut him please! We need college wrs that dominated in college. he didn't even do that in Division 1AA
    We do have a couple receivers. We are actually pretty stocked. We have four starter worthy wide receivers who are still young. I think Berrian is 26. My only complaint is we might need a star to stand out and make the rest look great but we won't find one who will have that immediate effect of a star from the draft. Thats why you have some merit in your argument in that wide receiver is small need (not our greatest I might add) but the draft would not be the solution. Perhaps Boldin.

Berrian still young. Have quite a few more years until we start worrying about him going down hill. A solid number one. Him+Rice makes wide reciever not a pressing need. It's Rice's 3rd year. It looks as if he's ready to emerge. Allison's in his third year, did what was expected of him. He looked decent and even if he doesn't emerge (which I actually think he will), he's our number 4 guy so whats the frustration about. You want to turn him to a number five with a new guy who will be a middle of the pack guy in our corp?

Lets not forget Bobby Wade who had a decent year. A great slot receiver. Not elite hence why he's #3. Those two behind Berrian and Rice plus Sage throwing them the ball tells me Wide receivers not a pressing need at number 1. JJ-- I agree. He's close to not deserving a roster spot. But he's our number 5. Let's not go out and draft a first round guy because our number 5 is weak. How many times did we come out in a 5 receiver set anyhow.

The fact that it is unnecessary and irrational for us to acquire a wide receiver in the draft, it is very risky taking a first round wr who might turn out not that great for a few years. We have our guys who will be good in a few years. We don't need more. Plus Childress said he doesn't like to take a wide receiever at number one.

And with Birk gone and Cook a weak link OT is definitely a greater need. With Sharper gone and Winfield old our secondary is a little weak and a greater need than Wide receiver (still probably less than OT). Pat Williams is what 34, 35 we might want a DT although we got Guion (although Im not sure about him). Point is all those are probably greater needs than Wide receiver.

"Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:
    We do have a couple receivers. We are actually pretty stocked. We have four starter worthy wide receivers who are still young. I think Berrian is 26. My only complaint is we might need a star to stand out and make the rest look great but we won't find one who will have that immediate effect of a star from the draft. Thats why you have some merit in your argument in that wide receiver is small need (not our greatest I might add) but the draft would not be the solution. Perhaps Boldin.
    Boldin is too expensive( 1st and 3rd) but I am alarmed at your statment about having 4 starter level wrs. We only have 1. I think edwards can be had for a 2nd and a 5th.

Berrian still young. Have quite a few more years until we start worrying about him going down hill. A solid number one. Him+Rice makes wide reciever not a pressing need. It's Rice's 3rd year. It looks as if he's ready to emerge. Allison's in his third year, did what was expected of him. He looked decent and even if he doesn't emerge (which I actually think he will), he's our number 4 guy so whats the frustration about. You want to turn him to a number five with a new guy who will be a middle of the pack guy in our corp?
    I disagree here. Rice cannot be depended on. His progression is handicapping our team. He may be a stud but he may not be. So far what we have is an injury plauged promising player. No way can you call him starter level.

Lets not forget Bobby Wade who had a decent year. A great slot receiver. Not elite hence why he's #3. Those two behind Berrian and Rice plus Sage throwing them the ball tells me Wide receivers not a pressing need at number 1. JJ-- I agree. He's close to not deserving a roster spot. But he's our number 5. Let's not go out and draft a first round guy because our number 5 is weak. How many times did we come out in a 5 receiver set anyhow.
    Wade has consistant hands. Nothing else. He will not fight for the ball, break a long play, go up and get the ball etc. He makes big catches however. He is a 4th stringer on most teams. AA and JJ aren't even worth talking about. Like I said, we need another WR to take our passing game to an elite level. If the Colts took years to win a Champion ship with a top 5 running game and top 5 passing game, why do we think we can do it without the passing game?

The fact that it is unnecessary and irrational for us to acquire a wide receiver in the draft, it is very risky taking a first round wr who might turn out not that great for a few years. We have our guys who will be good in a few years. We don't need more. Plus Childress said he doesn't like to take a wide receiever at number one.
    Yeah Childress should be listened to when it comes to the passing game. WE need a WR because the guys we have their aren't reliable or aren't starter worthy. AA is not a good WR he is a roster filler with a few more skills.

And with Birk gone and Cook a weak link OT is definitely a greater need. With Sharper gone and Winfield old our secondary is a little weak and a greater need than Wide receiver (still probably less than OT). Pat Williams is what 34, 35 we might want a DT although we got Guion (although Im not sure about him). Point is all those are probably greater needs than Wide receiver.
    How can it be. We have Evans, who is a good DT. He is not a run suffer but one can be had easily.
    1st round...Britt
    2nd Round... 1 of the 3 top centers Unger or Wood
    3rd- DT Brace
    5th - Alex Boone - Pair him with J. Allen AA.
    7th - Jorvorskie Lane
    Extra 7th.

with this drat we fixed WR, C, OT, G and FB
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Team-Needs.php#min
    My favorite draft site. They are wrong sometimes.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Thats a good point on Rice, I think we need a WR, we need Hakeem Nicks, he'll go up and get the catch.

I'm acutally a intristed in seeing JJ in training camp and preseason. He's got the playbook and things down, good punt return so there is some value there. WR Competition is going to be good. I think it possible that Allison could face competition to beat him out.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Boldin is too expensive( 1st and 3rd) but I am alarmed at your statment about having 4 starter level wrs. We only have 1. I think edwards can be had for a 2nd and a 5th.

I disagree here. Rice cannot be depended on. His progression is handicapping our team. He may be a stud but he may not be. So far what we have is an injury plauged promising player. No way can you call him starter level.

Wade has consistant hands. Nothing else. He will not fight for the ball, break a long play, go up and get the ball etc. He makes big catches however. He is a 4th stringer on most teams. AA and JJ aren't even worth talking about. Like I said, we need another WR to take our passing game to an elite level. If the Colts took years to win a Champion ship with a top 5 running game and top 5 passing game, why do we think we can do it without the passing game?

I agree with most of what you said. I think you underestimate Rice but agree to disagree. I think you underestimate Allison (mostly because he has shown he can make plays when asked but has not been asked but again a number four) but I can agree to disagree. But I don't think you underestimate them that much. What you say is close to what I believe Im just a little more optimistic.

Its a little beside the point. What I definitely agree with you with is that we need an elite WR to take it to the next level. I believe a elite guy is all we are away but that won't be found as an immediate elite player in the draft (especially in this draft at number 22). Only a gamble that might be elite someday. I don't think either of us want to play that game. I agree Boldin's too expensive just saying what we need to take it to the next level could have only been found with somebody who is established in the NFL. Seldom do we find a rookie receiver who is a elite number one in his first year. And again I don't think we'll find that at 22 in this draft class.

I do think this receiver set with a much improved quarterback from last year (whether its Sage or Tarvaris) is sufficient taking into consideration what our other options are-- which are very limited. So to reach with a receiver is not rational when OT or CB is probably a bigger need.
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast