Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vikings DRAFT

jhirchak1 is offline Rookie

Re: Vikings DRAFT

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "NJSTEELER" wrote:
    Hey what up guys, obvious steeler fan here. I was just wondering who the vikings were targeting in the draft and i thought this would be the best place to find out. Because the steelers are thinking about trading there pick up to around the 17 or 18th pick to try and snag lendale white. I heard tank was just signed with you guys does that mean no white? alright lemme know what you think.
    If the Vikings stay at #17 and go Rb I hear the guy they are most enamored with is DeAngelo Williams, but there is a lot of speculation of the Vikings moving up to get a QB.
    Just curious, any definitive source?

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"MensaTice" wrote:
    I fail to see the correlation between White and Tank
    Ya

Do u mean we just signed Chester Taylor???

Thank you Josdin for the sig

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"jhirchak1" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "NJSTEELER" wrote:
    Hey what up guys, obvious steeler fan here. I was just wondering who the vikings were targeting in the draft and i thought this would be the best place to find out. Because the steelers are thinking about trading there pick up to around the 17 or 18th pick to try and snag lendale white. I heard tank was just signed with you guys does that mean no white? alright lemme know what you think.
    If the Vikings stay at #17 and go Rb I hear the guy they are most enamored with is DeAngelo Williams, but there is a lot of speculation of the Vikings moving up to get a QB.
    Speculated on KFAN radio about a week ago but you never know what is smoke screen or not at this time of year. I want us to either trade up for Cutler or Leinart or stay at #17 and take a LB like Greenway or Sims.

One prospect I am interested in would be Drew Olsen the QB from UCLA in the later rounds, I think he could be a good QB in the NFL and comes from a pro style offense in college.

I am also getting more intereted in Charlie Whitehurst from Clemson, I know I ripped a newbie earlier this year about him, but he may also be a possibility but again he needs to become more consistent.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "jhirchak1" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "NJSTEELER" wrote:
    Speculated on KFAN radio about a week ago but you never know what is smoke screen or not at this time of year. I want us to either trade up for Cutler or Leinart or stay at #17 and take a LB like Greenway or Sims.

One prospect I am interested in would be Drew Olsen the QB from UCLA in the later rounds, I think he could be a good QB in the NFL and comes from a pro style offense in college.

I am also getting more intereted in Charlie Whitehurst from Clemson, I know I ripped a newbie earlier this year about him, but he may also be a possibility but again he needs to become more consistent.
    I've also been pushing for us to look at Whitehurst. I watched this kid play a few games this year and I liked what I did see...

He has good foot work and a very smooth drop back, he has a very quick release, and he also has some wheels.

I think with a year or two of grooming, he would be a perfect WCO fit.

I like him even more because he is flying under everyones radar right now, and I'm sure he will be there with our second, second round pick.

This would still leave us sitting nicely at 17 and we could grab that linebacker we need, then an O lineman for depth, and then Charlie....

I think way to much credit is being thrown to Young, Cutler. Either one could be a flop if you ask me.

I just don't think it's worth trading up for those guys, I'de rather take a shot on someone who has some solid potential, and groom him to my Offense...

Only time will tell...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

A little something on Charlie Whitehurst...

Biography:
    2004 - Clemson:
    All-America candidate...owns 33 school passing records; he has started just 18 career games...Clemson’s career leader in seven areas, including pass efficiency and completion percentage...has thrown for more yards (5,115) by the end of his sophomore year than any other ACC quarterback in history other than N.C. State’s Philip Rivers...joins Rivers as the only 5,000-yard sophomores in ACC history...shattered the Tiger single-season passing record with 3,561 yards in 2003...tied the single-season school record with 21 touchdown passes in 2003; Woodrow Dantzler also had 21 in 2001...Honorable Mention All-ACC; he missed second-team by just one vote...fifth-best quarterback in the nation by Sporting News; he is the 13th-best by Phil Steele...third-team preseason All-American by Athlon; he is an honorable mention pick by Street & Smith...Heisman Trophy candidate by NationalChamps.net and Street & Smith...13th-best player in the nation by CollegeFootballNews.com...11th-best quarterback in the nation by CBS.SportsLine.com.

2003 - Clemson:
    Finished second in the ACC to Player-of-the-Year Philip Rivers in passing yards per game (273.9)...fourth in pass efficiency (135.6)...30th in the nation in pass efficiency and 14th in total offense...set the single-season school record with five games of at least 300 passing yards; he has six for his career, also a school record; has had two other games with 298 yards passing. He has thrown four touchdowns in a game four different times in his career, including the win at South Carolina...led the Tigers to four-game winning streak to end the season; he was 84-133 for 1,151 yards and eight touchdowns during the streak; that computes to a 140.3 pass efficiency figure and a 63.2 completion percentage...threw for 302 yards at South Carolina, most ever by a Tiger against the Gamecocks; named ACC Offensive Back-of-the-Week for that performance; also nominated for National Player-of-the-Week by USAToday.com.

2002 - Clemson:
    Second in the ACC in pass efficiency (145) in ACC regular-season games, second only to the 152 figure by ACC Player-of-the-Year Matt Schaub (Virginia); did not qualify for the final overall stats because he did not play enough games...did not play in each of the first three games, then went 4-4 for 21 yards against Ball State...missed the Florida State game, then turned heads by going 7-7 for 92 yards and a touchdown on the last possession at Virginia...got his first start at Duke on November 2 and set many records; completed 34-52 passes for 420 yards and four scores...set a Tiger record for completions (34); in fact it was seven more completions than any other Tiger in history; his 420 passing yards broke the previous record by nearly 80 yards.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"VikingNed" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "jhirchak1" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "NJSTEELER" wrote:

I've also been pushing for us to look at Whitehurst. I watched this kid play a few games this year and I liked what I did see...

He has good foot work and a very smooth drop back, he has a very quick release, and he also has some wheels.

I think with a year or two of grooming, he would be a perfect WCO fit.

I like him even more because he is flying under everyones radar right now, and I'm sure he will be there with our second, second round pick.

This would still leave us sitting nicely at 17 and we could grab that linebacker we need, then an O lineman for depth, and then Charlie....

I think way to much credit is being thrown to Young, Cutler. Either one could be a flop if you ask me.

I just don't think it's worth trading up for those guys, I'de rather take a shot on someone who has some solid potential, and groom him to my Offense...

Only time will tell...
    I agree Ned about Whitehurst and for some reason the more I look at Olsen the more I think he could be decent.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah but why settle for Whitehurst when we could get Cutler? It would take moving up to 9 or 10.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"jhirchak1" wrote:
    Not saying we will for sure but Childress is considering it

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/14155317.htm

The Vikings are in the market for a veteran backup to starter Brad Johnson after last week's trade that sent Daunte Culpepper to Miami, and Childress hasn't ruled out moving up from the 17th spot in the April 29-30 NFL draft for one of this year's top three quarterbacks: Southern California's Matt Leinart, Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler or Texas' Vince Young.

"You can't discount anything, I don't think," Childress said. "It would be pie in the sky to say we were going to do that had we not had an extra pick in the second round.... When you have an extra pick, then you have a little bit of wiggle room in terms of being able to move if you so desire."

[color=red]

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"MensaTice" wrote:
    "jhirchak1" wrote:

http//www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/14155317.htm

The Vikings are in the market for a veteran backup to starter Brad Johnson after last week's trade that sent Daunte Culpepper to Miami, and Childress hasn't ruled out moving up from the 17th spot in the April 29-30 NFL draft for one of this year's top three quarterbacks Southern California's Matt Leinart, Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler or Texas' Vince Young.

"You can't discount anything, I don't think," Childress said. "It would be pie in the sky to say we were going to do that had we not had an extra pick in the second round.... When you have an extra pick, then you have a little bit of wiggle room in terms of being able to move if you so desire."
    Translation:

"We need a QB for the future. We also need a LB, but this is a deep LB draft so we could easily get a solid one in the second round. This would allow us to package one of our 2nd round picks and a player to move up to take a QB."

Alternate:

"I like to go balls to the wall. We are going to trade all the way up to steal AJ Hawk from GB and then wait till the second round to get a QB."
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

"V-Unit" wrote:
    "MensaTice" wrote:
    "jhirchak1" wrote:

http//www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/14155317.htm

The Vikings are in the market for a veteran backup to starter Brad Johnson after last week's trade that sent Daunte Culpepper to Miami, and Childress hasn't ruled out moving up from the 17th spot in the April 29-30 NFL draft for one of this year's top three quarterbacks Southern California's Matt Leinart, Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler or Texas' Vince Young.

Translation:

"We need a QB for the future. We also need a LB, but this is a deep LB draft so we could easily get a solid one in the second round. This would allow us to package one of our 2nd round picks and a player to move up to take a QB."

Alternate:

"I like to go balls to the wall. We are going to trade all the way up to steal AJ Hawk from GB and then wait till the second round to get a QB."
    :cheers: :headbang:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12