Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings discuss trade for Falcons backup Schaub

"Benet" wrote:
    Don't trade for him this year!!

Brad Johnson is good enough, and Schaub is a restricted free agent next year. Even if the 'poison pill' provisions are outlawed, it would be easy to configure a contract that Atlanta wouldn't match because we'd offer a contract that would pay him Starting-QB-money, and the Falcons would never be able to match that with Vick's $130 million, 10 year deal with £30 million guaranteed.

And that way, we'd only have to give up a Second-Round pick next year for him, and I don't think I'm the only one who hopes that we'll have a lower pick in the Second-Round next year than we do this year!

If the Falcons tender a high enough offer to Schaub before the start of next years free agency the compensation could be a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick which is the highest allowed by the CBA. Plus the Falcons would have the right to match the offer (like Burleson)!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I can't believe all the people who are saying, "Don't give up a first round pick for him." So let me get this right, you'd rather use this first round pick to draft a unknown and unproven QB who might fall to #17 rather than use it to get a known commodity? Does that about sum it up?
    I like Benet's idea but it would mean we may not do too much this year if Johnson goes down.
    I think Schaub is almost as unknown as a rookie. He's only started two games (0-2) and only played a substantial amount of time in 3 or 4 total.

I also think it would create a "quarterback controversy" and after all the stuff with Brad wanting to start ahead of Daunte earlier this offseason it would just set off a bad chain of events, IMO.

Plus his time in preseason games and the fact that these games are in the NFL, not college! He already plays in a west coast offense, no college player has this type of experience, plus the transition to another WCO will not be as difficult as the move from college to pro level.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I still say, we sit tight and use our draft pics for ourselves, at 17 there will for sure be some solid talent out there at LB and just about every other position. Then we have two seconds and two thirds.

We could be loaded at every need thinkable at that point.....

I still think we should grab a QB with one of our second round picks...

I'm still pushing the Charlie Whitehurst envelope forward also.........

We don't need to trade with or help anyone else out at this point. We are sitting pretty as pink......or should that be pretty as purple.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Jarlvik2006 is offline Rookie

I would much rather give a few picks for Schaub than an unproven rookie. Which picks? Time will tell. I absolutely feel confident in BJ's ability, but if he goes down we're certainly not going anywhere with McMahon as a long term option this year. Nor will we be very successful in throwing a rookie into the "fire", IMO. If the Triangle is set on moving picks for a QB, I say go with 2 games of NFL experience (with some success) rather than none.
    The LB's and DB's in the draft are also "crap-shoots" once you get past Hawk and Huff-Cromartie.
    I m Watching You- You may not see me, you may not hear me, but I m watching you...

Jarlvik2006 is offline Rookie

"VikingNed" wrote:
    I still say, we sit tight and use our draft pics for ourselves, at 17 there will for sure be some solid talent out there at LB and just about every other position. Then we have two seconds and two thirds.

We could be loaded at every need thinkable at that point.....

I still think we should grab a QB with one of our second round picks...

I'm still pushing the Charlie Whitehurst envelope forward also.........

We don't need to trade with or help anyone else out at this point. We are sitting pretty as pink......or should that be pretty as purple.....
    Solid thinking but I'm not so sure about Whitehurst:
    To quote Pro Football Weekly's analysis (rated him as 4th best QB prospect) "Downside: Played in simplified offense as a senior and did not make many NFL reads or throw vertically much. Has struggled to make progression reads and handle pressure in clutch situations. Failed to pull out victories in four close contests as a senior and could not finish. Played primarily in shotgun offense and will need to adjust to taking snaps under center. Not a great decision maker. Not very niftly footed and does not show lateral quickness when the pocket breaks down. Does not feel pressure well and needs time to throw. Has SMALL HANDS. Has had surgery on his throwing shoulder. Some scouts see him as a "finished product with bad habits".
    Does not sound to me like a prospect that Childress would consider right now. Lest we forget, his Dad was less than productive for the PACKERS.
    I m Watching You- You may not see me, you may not hear me, but I m watching you...

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"chilifoot" wrote:
    i'm a little weary of giving up the #17 to get schaub when we only got a 2nd from the fins for Daunte.... i know, i know... it's different, but it just doesn't seem right to me.... gives me kind of a sick feeling as far as value-wise.... but it's all relative i guess

it would definitely give us alot more depth at QB though, which is pretty gol 'darnit important
    Exactly.. Pep is concidered a top 5 QB in the NFL and we got a 2nd rounder..

T.O got traded for a 3rd round pick didn't he??

Give a 2nd round and if they don't take it grab a QB in the draft

Prophet Guest

We would have to trade the ship to get Schaub. Mora, below, says it would have to be a great offer. Mora knows in his heart that the future of the Falcons does not rest in the lap of Ron Mexico, he has his fingers crossed for another season and I'm expecting heads to roll at the end of the '06 season in Falcon country.

Falcons | Mora discusses Schaub
    Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:50:13 -0800

In an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Atlanta Falcons head coach Jim Mora said the team is willing to listen to trade offers for QB Matt Schaub, but that the team will likely retain him. "It would have to be a great offer for us to trade Matt Schaub. We're going to entertain or listen to offers, just like we listened to the Jets. We have to do what's best for us. What's best for us right now is to have Matt Schaub as our backup quarterback. We like the kid as our backup quarterback. When he's played, he's played well. As a starter, he's 0-2. It's not like he's undefeated or anything, but he has played well," said Mora.

Big C is offline Coordinator

Like a few people suggested, I would rather give one of our 2nds and McMahon for Schaub. That way the Falcons still have a backup QB who is somewhat proven plus an additional pick. Schaub is definitely worth a first round pick, but I really hate to part with it.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Team talking trade with Atlanta?
    Tue, 4 Apr 2006 05:50:19 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings are talking with the Atlanta Falcons about a trade involving QB Matt Schaub, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The talks were casual and did not lead to formal negotiations, the sources said, but the interaction confirms the Vikings' desire to add depth to the position, either through a trade or in this month's NFL Draft. The Vikings have five picks in the first three rounds and probably would have to part with their first-round pick, No. 17 overall, in order to complete a trade. If the team traded for Schaub, he would be the favorite to be the starting quarterback for the 2006 season.

First off, it doesn't sound serious so no one go getting all "hot and bothered" quite yet.

Second, there is no way the falcons are going to trade Schaub for less than a 1st UNLESS we gave up just about everything that followed it.

Third, those that think that Schaub is "on-par" with a rookie QB need to read what the pro personnel people are saying about this guy and I trust their professional opinion.

Lastly, he's worth the first rounder. Of all our immediate needs (LB, QB, OL, CB) QB is the weakest portion of this draft. We can still address our other needs with high quality players in rounds two and three if we can keep those picks. Everywhere I've read said this is the deepest draft for both LB and OL in a VERY long time. So we may need a little Secondary help in the end but we weren't going to draft one in the first round anyway.

Doesn't matter anyway, the discussions weren't "serious" and from all the reports Childress is smitten with Croyle.

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast