Page 1 of 26 123 11 ... LastLast
    enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Vikings discuss trade for Falcons backup Schaub

Though the talks did not lead to formal negotiations, it was an indication the Vikings want quarterback depth.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 04, 2006 – 12:03 AM

The Vikings spent part of Monday discussing a possible trade for Atlanta backup quarterback Matt Schaub, two people with knowledge of the situation said. The talks were casual and did not lead to formal negotiations, the sources said, but the interaction confirms the Vikings' desire to add depth to the position, either through a trade or in this month's draft.

Discussions could resume as the April 29-30 draft approaches, but as of Monday no further talks were planned.

Schaub, 24, has spent two seasons backing up Michael Vick. He has drawn rave reviews in extensive preseason appearances as well as two career starts and 22 career games, and he is entering the final year of his contract. More than a half-dozen teams reportedly have inquired about him, believing he is ready to be an NFL starter, but the Falcons have appeared unwilling to part with the valuable reserve.

Now, however, the Falcons might be looking to enhance their draft position; they traded their first-round draft pick to the New York Jets last month as part of a deal for defensive lineman John Abraham. The Vikings have five picks in the first three rounds and probably would have to part with their first-round pick, No. 17 overall, in order to complete a trade.

Any team that acquired Schaub almost certainly would seek to sign him to a long-term contract extension. The Vikings had no such discussions Monday, the sources said. Schaub's agent, David Dunn, did not return phone calls Monday.

Brad Johnson ascended to the top of the Vikings' depth chart last month upon the trade of Daunte Culpepper, but coach Brad Childress has remained noncommittal about the position's short- and long-term future. Last week, Childress said Johnson is "our starter right now."

Schaub would be a heavy favorite to open the 2006 season as the Vikings starter if he is acquired. Otherwise, they plan to use Johnson, 37, as their starter this season and draft their QB of the future. Childress indicated last week that they might seek out a second-tier prospect and spend 2006 and perhaps 2007 developing him for a future starting role.

Schaub has been one of the NFL's most discussed names this offseason. At 6-5 and 237 pounds, he is known as a pocket passer with exceptional poise and short-range accuracy. He also ran for 56 yards on four scrambles during a relief appearance last season against the Vikings.

The Vikings have been increasingly connected with rampant trade rumors involving Schaub this offseason, especially as their relationship with Culpepper deteriorated. But as other teams tried and failed, the assumption around the NFL has been that Atlanta valued him too much.

However, Falcons coach Jim Mora said last week that Schaub was available. Schaub's experience in the West Coast offense, both in Atlanta and at the University of Virginia, has convinced many scouts he is ready to take over a similar offense as early as this season.

The Falcons' third-round pick in 2004, Schaub compiled a 98.1 passer rating last season in completing 33 of 64 passes for 495 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/349096.html

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

Re: Vikings discuss trade for Falcons backup Schaub

If it's a repost I am sorry. I did scroll through the topics to be sure.

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

purplepride818 is offline Starter

i know alot of people on this site that are going to be happy about this one. im not quite a believer yet

sabatajh is offline Rookie

I would prefer to give up the 17th pick to get schaub over trading up to draft a cutler or youg... schaub has proved he can manage the west coast offense and i think he could start over BJ and be the franchise qb we thought we had in culpepper.... And that leaves two 2nd and two 3rd to add depth at LB/OL and CB.... IMHO

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I would like it if the Vikes traded for Schaub. Unfortunately it probably would take our first round pick to get him. I hope if this did happen we could find a way to get a 1st round pick to get a solid LB.

purplepride818 is offline Starter

no way id give up a 1st rounder when we got rid of culpepper for a 2nd, hes much more proven then schaub regardless of the injured knee

chilifoot is offline Starter

i'm a little weary of giving up the #17 to get schaub when we only got a 2nd from the fins for Daunte.... i know, i know... it's different, but it just doesn't seem right to me.... gives me kind of a sick feeling as far as value-wise.... but it's all relative i guess

it would definitely give us alot more depth at QB though, which is pretty damn important

Obtaining Schaub makes perfect sense. He knows the WCO. He is very mobile. He is an accurate passer (check out the records he put up in college). He's smart. He will not be a project unlike drafting a QB. I would give up the 17th in a heartbeat. That's what he's worth. We would still have a ton of picks in the draft.

Besides drafting a QB is rolling the dice or for better terms hit or miss. Schaub is a hit. Go to the Atlanta boards and see who they are screaming for to start.

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Well id be all for getting schaub for a second round pick but not for our first rounder. id rather get ernie sims and draft omar jacobs or whitehurst in the second round. But if we did trade our first rounder for schaub id hope deMeco Ryans was there for our second round pick

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I would rather trade our first for him than our first, two seconds and two thirds for one of the top 3 qbs that are unproven and will be more expensive.

Thanks PurpleMafia

Page 1 of 26 123 11 ... LastLast