Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings DE Battle: Edwards or Robison?

[size=13pt]Minnesota Vikings Defensive End Battle: Edwards or Robison?[/size]

by Andy Rarick (Scribe)
    bleacherreport.com

June 04, 2009

Out of all the position battles outside of the quarterback position, this one has intrigued me the most....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter

Re: Vikings DE Battle: Edwards or Robison?

Nice read singer.
    I like both of them.
    However, I think Robison has proven more with the little time he's been in, I would play around with both of them in the pre-season to see who does better.
    They don't need to be fantastic, but with Kevin/Phat Pat/JA on the line as well, they would likely only need to deal with 1 OL stopping them.
    Anyone who can get past that 1 guy faster should get the job.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Purple_Jesus" wrote:
    Nice read singer.
    I like both of them.
    However, I think Robison has proven more with the little time he's been in, I would play around with both of them in the pre-season to see who does better.
    They don't need to be fantastic, but with Kevin/Phat Pat/JA on the line as well, they would likely only need to deal with 1 OL stopping them.
    Anyone who can get past that 1 guy faster should get the job.
    how do you think Robison proved more?
    Edwards started all season!

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter

Robison had limited play time, but he did the most he could with the time he had.
    Edwards didn't do bad by any means, I just think Robison did better with the little time he got to play.
    My guess is Edwards will still take the starting spot, but I still say let them duke it out in pre-season.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I might be wrong but Brian Robison is not battling for the starting DE position that Ray Edwards plays. Robison's primary job will be backing up JA and coming in for situational plays, as either a DE or DT.

If there was any competition for the starting position I would think it would come from Udeze if he regains his former self.

I expect Jared Allen and Ray Edwards to be the starters and I look for more out of Edwards this season, his 4th. More Sacks!

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    I might be wrong but Brian Robison is not battling for the starting DE position that Ray Edwards plays. Robison's primary job will be backing up JA and coming in for situational plays, as either a DE or DT.

If there was any competition for the starting position I would think it would come from Udeze if he regains his former self.

I expect Jared Allen and Ray Edwards to be the starters and I look for more out of Edwards this season, his 4th. More Sacks!
    That's my take as well.
    If Udeze can regain his old form he could push Edwards for the starting job which could significantly hurt Edwards future with the team.
    Robison may work into a starting DE, but to date, the staff appears to like him as you mention...JA's backup and situational rusher at DT or RDE.

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Robison or Edwards...they are both great with the skill set each of them has. this should be interesting to see who wins out on this one. I can probably see Edwards winning this battle
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

That's my take as well.
    If Udeze can regain his old form he could push Edwards for the starting job which could significantly hurt Edwards future with the team.
    Robison may work into a starting DE, but to date, the staff appears to like him as you mention...JA's backup and situational rusher at DT or RDE.
    It's unbelievable that the article didn't even mention Kenechi U. Edwards may be the better run defender because, Robison can be had with delayed underneath hand-offs, draws, screens etc, because he gets put in passing situations more. Udeze is, well I won't count this guy out. What a story it would be if he gets back to play again.

Also the author said, something like both Edwards and Robison are not strong, but rely on athletic abilities. I don't know what his definition of strong, Brian is a world class Shot Put thrower, and Ray can stop the run even being blocked by both the TE, and RT. Robison is in a great rotation giving different positions rest, PW, JA, and Ray.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Yeah, no mention of Udeze sticks in my craw too.
    Any of you guys seen any of the OTAs?
    Sounded like Udeze had been on field participating, I was just wondering how much, and how he looked...?
    He was the starter before the illness, and could very likely be the "strongest" of the 3 (probably best vs. run, but least pure rushing ability?), when he gets back to full speed/size.
    More likely though, that he is eased into playing time...maybe starting sometime down the road.

Unless Edwards somehow steps backwards, I'd guess he still starts.
    He's got Brian beat, although slightly, in size, stats, and experience.
    And, As mentioned, Robison is a bit more of a rushing, RDE, and thus, behind Jared Allen.
    But, we use what Chiller called, "a wave rushing system," and usually dress 8 or 10 DL who all get reps.
    The fact that Robison can also rush from LDE and DT too just adds to his value.
    He's kind of like Hicks on OL or Farwell at LB...top backup at multiple spots, only he'll get reps rushing every week.

With Allen and the Williams, any and all of these three sound good!
    The depth should be even better this year, and I'm hoping and (barring injuries/suspensions) expecting even more sacks this year!!
    ;D

BAAAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Bring a change of panties NFL QBs, The Vikings Pass Rush might make you Pooh!!!
    8)
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Ho Hum.

More drivel based on who can get the most sacks.......

Its all about the base 4-3, what it does to keep the offense in the down and distance they want (2nd/3rd and long) so that guys like Rob can get in there and get after the QB from whatever side ole Leslie thinks makes the best matchup.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast