Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Vikings could be sleeper for Atogwe

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/01/vikings-could-be-sleeper-for-atogwe/

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirmed via Twitter Tuesday evening that Rams unsigned restricted free agent safety O.J. Atogwe is "scheduled to become a free agent at midnight."

While St. Louis is not known to have given up on contract negotiations, Schefter throws a new team into the bidding. He mentions the Vikings as a possible suitor for the Rams' 2009 franchise player.
    Here is the direct quote from Schefter's twitter (Adam_Schefter): Rams S O.J. Atogwe scheduled to become a free agent at midnight. Could stay in St. Louis but Miami, Dallas, Minnesota might be interested.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Re:Vikings could be sleeper for Atogwe

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5241584&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The St. Louis Rams did not re-tender safety O.J. Atogwe at $6.976 million as they needed to do to assure them of his services this season. As a result, Atogwe is now an unrestricted free agent.
    aren't we still handcuffed when it comes to signing free agents?
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Doesn't sound like he'll come cheap. He made 6.342 million on a 1 year deal last year. I'm thinking he'll want a long term deal at atleast that figure per year. He's 29 now.
    He does have great numbers but I'm not sure we need him. The situation is not dire.

Doesn't sound like he'll come cheap. He made 6.342 million on a 1 year deal last year. I'm thinking he'll want a long term deal at atleast that figure per year. He's 29 now.
    He does have great numbers but I'm not sure we need him. The situation is not dire.

Very interesting.

If that happens, my guess is that they would have to either let M-will go or have him restructure and accept backup duties.

Only problem I see in all of this is that you would have a new S, possibly 1 or 2 new CB's, starting in a defense that is reliant on everyone knowing what the other is going to do in thier respective zones.

Might see a few breakdowns if that were to happen.

Again, very interesting though.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike wrote:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5241584&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The St. Louis Rams did not re-tender safety O.J. Atogwe at $6.976 million as they needed to do to assure them of his services this season. As a result, Atogwe is now an unrestricted free agent.
    I read the final 8 clause didn't apply in this case. I guess since he is not a RFA now he is free to sign with any club. I'd love to bring him in. Huge upgrade over either of the Safeties we have now.

7. Re:Vikings could be sleeper for Atogwe

jmcdon00 wrote:
    On another site someone posted Chester's contract details and it seemed very frontloaded. If I recall correctly it has him getting somewhere between 5M and 6M in year 1. Don't know if that would be enough for Atogwe.

I think Atogwe is a first rate Tackler at S and he has Quarterbacks throwing away from him as well.

However we use our free agent offset vs Chester, if its a player like Pitts or Atogwe, I just hope they use it as I am looking forward to what that player will bring to the team.
    None

bsmithberkley wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    On another site someone posted Chester's contract details and it seemed very frontloaded. If I recall correctly it has him getting somewhere between 5M and 6M in year 1. Don't know if that would be enough for Atogwe.

I think Atogwe is a first rate Tackler at S and he has Quarterbacks throwing away from him as well.

However we use our free agent offset vs Chester, if its a player like Pitts or Atogwe, I just hope they use it as I am looking forward to what that player will bring to the team.
    Someone posted that Atogwe doesn't fall into that catagory.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:

I read the final 8 clause didn't apply in this case. I guess since he is not a RFA now he is free to sign with any club. I'd love to bring him in. Huge upgrade over either of the Safeties we have now.
    thanks ej. if that's the case, this looks as if it would be a nice signing. and it would keep him from Detroit. we have bigger needs, but I agree this would be an upgrade.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

marshallvike wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:

thanks ej. if that's the case, this looks as if it would be a nice signing. and it would keep him from Detroit. we have bigger needs, but I agree this would be an upgrade.
    Could we do a swap? Atogwe for M-will straight up?