Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090852
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090799
    Its the same as people who say we should cut McKinnie. Until there's a better option, it's a stupid idea.
    Good post.

From what I gather, 5 or 6 of the OT's coming out this year can start at LT from day one.

Lots of recievers in this class like these two....

Titus Young - Smallish all around speedster. Can play the slot and the Wideout positions. 2nd to 3rd round projection that could slide up or down based on team needs going into the draft.

Greg Little - Big possesion type reciever who can also burn you off the line and stretch the field. Projected as a second rounder but will probably slip because of character issues.

....... who arehave 1rs/2nd round talent that will produce right off the bat but have some sort of issue related with them that a team will have to gamble on.

In the end, both BB and Big Mac (and their contracts) can be replace by a cheaper rookie which might give the staff some extra dough to work some contracts with.
    yes, but what would it take to get one of those OT's? Probably a first right? Don't you think that might be better spent at a position of need, rather than want?

I do believe McK was our best lineman last season. (I know, not saying much, but still) We have more important needs than our LT who does an average job. He's not a superstar by any stretch, but he's not as bad as some of you make him out to be. Yes, he gets beat, so does every player in the league. Everyone was high on Michael Oher, but I've been watching him play a fair bit, and tbh, I'm really not the slightest bit impressed.

Drop McK, pick up an OT, who has to take at minimum, 6 games to get comfortable. Now we still have huge gaps at G, C, WR, QB, S, CB, LB(depth). I'd rather use that pick for any single one of htose positions than LT. Upgrading our LT is simply a luxury we can't afford.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090851
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1090783
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090782
    I don't like the idea of cutting BB.

No, he's not what we expected when we got him, but really, as a #3 or #4 on the DC, we can do alot worse. Say, Lewis or Cam?

remember when Harvin, Rice and Berrian were hurt that one game? We had Baskett, Camarillo and Lewis as our top 3 receivers. God that sucked. I can not think of a single team in the league in that bad of position when it comes to WR.

With Harvin iffy on migranes all the time, Rice may or may not be here, we need Berrian. He may be our second best receiver next year.
    I agree...sort of.

When we got Berrian, I think most of us (all of us?) thought we were getting a guy to take on the role of Ahmad Rashad, Cris Carter, and Randy Moss. A legitimate primary receiver who could help elevate our passing game.

Except, he turned out not to be...

So, while we did, in fact, grossly over pay for his services, we do have him under contract for another 3 years...and until we have someone better on the roster - or unless the cap savings is a great deal - I see no reason to simply cut him.

Caine
    CC = Possesion guy, short to intermediate/Red Zone. 6 catches a game. BB is not of that ilk.
    I think Caine meant just more of a go-to guy, not necessarily matching skillset. A guy we can rely on to get 1200 yards. He's obviously not that guy, however, I'll play
    [quote]
    Moss = 8, 9 route, field stretcher. 2 to 3 catches a game. BB is more inline with that type of reciever.[/qoute]
    2 to 3 catches a game eh?

For his career, he's averaged almost 5 catches a game (Fitzgerald averages 5.6 catches, Carter averaged 4.7/game (I'll even give you, 6.1 during his prime), Welker is by far the best, with 7.0/game with the Pats.

so you're assessment is completely off base, once again. Know who averages 2 to 3 catches a game? Berrian. 2.7 r/g

Nope, some of us knew we were getting a field stretcher that wasn't gonna bring back the 3 deep days of old, mostly because of the scheme which doesn't take dictate alot of shots deep.
    Again, see above. Caine didn't mean a clone of CC, RM or RM (wait a minute....) He meant a reliable go-to guy.

Truth be told, we didn't really have one of those kinds of guys back in the 70's either.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090851
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1090783
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090782
    I don't like the idea of cutting BB.

No, he's not what we expected when we got him, but really, as a #3 or #4 on the DC, we can do alot worse. Say, Lewis or Cam?

remember when Harvin, Rice and Berrian were hurt that one game? We had Baskett, Camarillo and Lewis as our top 3 receivers. God that sucked. I can not think of a single team in the league in that bad of position when it comes to WR.

With Harvin iffy on migranes all the time, Rice may or may not be here, we need Berrian. He may be our second best receiver next year.
    I agree...sort of.

When we got Berrian, I think most of us (all of us?) thought we were getting a guy to take on the role of Ahmad Rashad, Cris Carter, and Randy Moss. A legitimate primary receiver who could help elevate our passing game.

Except, he turned out not to be...

So, while we did, in fact, grossly over pay for his services, we do have him under contract for another 3 years...and until we have someone better on the roster - or unless the cap savings is a great deal - I see no reason to simply cut him.

Caine
    CC = Possesion guy, short to intermediate/Red Zone. 6 catches a game. BB is not of that ilk.

Moss = 8, 9 route, field stretcher. 2 to 3 catches a game. BB is more inline with that type of reciever.

Ahmad Rashad = Converted RB. More shifty than fast. Only had around 6,000 yards for his career. A few long passes make most think he was a deep threat. I liken him more to a PH kindof guy. Catch it in stride and get YAC from his allusiveness.

Nope, some of us knew we were getting a field stretcher that wasn't gonna bring back the 3 deep days of old, mostly because of the scheme which doesn't take dictate alot of shots deep.
    I wasn't talking about the specific route running roles of those players - I was talking about the "Primary Target" roles of those players.

In fact, had you read my post, it was right there, "A legitimate primary receiver who could help elevate our passing game." Hard to miss.

I had no illusions about BB being a possession guy, or about Rashad and Moss being the same TYPE of receiver. But when we signed Berrian, many of us thought he would become our leading receiver. That HE would help define the pace of the passing game.

He didn't. He tanked.

That's what I implied above.

Caine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123