Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    It comes down to production, and Berrian has not produced since his injury.

    His game was his burst going deep, and he does not look to have that anymore. Without it, he is just an average speed receiver who does not run great routes and has questionable catching skills. There are many NFL receivers that can do that.

    I have seen Berrian run himself out of bounds instead of coming back to the quarterback and hiding behind defenders when going over the middle. These are tactics of players that only want the easy pass and fear the big hit. I cannot say what Berrian was thinking, so we do not know if it is by choice, by conditioned response, or by lack of route running skill, but the Vikings need receivers that are willing to run those routes to the end.

  2. #12
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,233

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    I like Berrian, imo he's like a poor man's Randy Moss.

    The 9 route was his bread and butter, it's why we signed him, someone to rip the lid off of a defence (a key element in the kao). Over time he fell out of his starting spot, partly due to injury but mostly due to lack of production.

    He just doesn't get the reps to get deep balls consistently anymore, and he's not a guy that fits a WCO, we've seen that. Throwing underneath or over the middle to BB is meh at best.

    I think with Percy and Sid (if resigned) healthy there really just isn't any value in BB for us anymore.. Worst of all when we have needed him recently he looks out of place. Maybe it was Favre, or maybe he lost a step, but the potential for him going deep seems to have gone out the window.

  3. #13
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    I don't like the idea of cutting BB.

    No, he's not what we expected when we got him, but really, as a #3 or #4 on the DC, we can do alot worse. Say, Lewis or Cam?

    remember when Harvin, Rice and Berrian were hurt that one game? We had Baskett, Camarillo and Lewis as our top 3 receivers. God that sucked. I can not think of a single team in the league in that bad of position when it comes to WR.

    With Harvin iffy on migranes all the time, Rice may or may not be here, we need Berrian. He may be our second best receiver next year.

  4. #14
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090782
    I don't like the idea of cutting BB.

    No, he's not what we expected when we got him, but really, as a #3 or #4 on the DC, we can do alot worse. Say, Lewis or Cam?

    remember when Harvin, Rice and Berrian were hurt that one game? We had Baskett, Camarillo and Lewis as our top 3 receivers. God that sucked. I can not think of a single team in the league in that bad of position when it comes to WR.

    With Harvin iffy on migranes all the time, Rice may or may not be here, we need Berrian. He may be our second best receiver next year.
    I agree...sort of.

    When we got Berrian, I think most of us (all of us?) thought we were getting a guy to take on the role of Ahmad Rashad, Cris Carter, and Randy Moss. A legitimate primary receiver who could help elevate our passing game.

    Except, he turned out not to be...

    So, while we did, in fact, grossly over pay for his services, we do have him under contract for another 3 years...and until we have someone better on the roster - or unless the cap savings is a great deal - I see no reason to simply cut him.

    Caine

  5. #15
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,597

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    See ya. Wouldn't wanna be ya.
    We're bringing purple back.

  6. #16
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    Its the same as people who say we should cut McKinnie. Until there's a better option, it's a stupid idea.

  7. #17
    Mr-holland's Avatar
    Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,443

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    It is not even sure that we will keep Rice on the team.
    We should not let him go. Only if the coaching staff thinks he's not getting any better ( which I think is the case )
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1090783
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090782
    I don't like the idea of cutting BB.

    No, he's not what we expected when we got him, but really, as a #3 or #4 on the DC, we can do alot worse. Say, Lewis or Cam?

    remember when Harvin, Rice and Berrian were hurt that one game? We had Baskett, Camarillo and Lewis as our top 3 receivers. God that sucked. I can not think of a single team in the league in that bad of position when it comes to WR.

    With Harvin iffy on migranes all the time, Rice may or may not be here, we need Berrian. He may be our second best receiver next year.
    I agree...sort of.

    When we got Berrian, I think most of us (all of us?) thought we were getting a guy to take on the role of Ahmad Rashad, Cris Carter, and Randy Moss. A legitimate primary receiver who could help elevate our passing game.

    Except, he turned out not to be...

    So, while we did, in fact, grossly over pay for his services, we do have him under contract for another 3 years...and until we have someone better on the roster - or unless the cap savings is a great deal - I see no reason to simply cut him.

    Caine
    CC = Possesion guy, short to intermediate/Red Zone. 6 catches a game. BB is not of that ilk.

    Moss = 8, 9 route, field stretcher. 2 to 3 catches a game. BB is more inline with that type of reciever.

    Ahmad Rashad = Converted RB. More shifty than fast. Only had around 6,000 yards for his career. A few long passes make most think he was a deep threat. I liken him more to a PH kindof guy. Catch it in stride and get YAC from his allusiveness.

    Nope, some of us knew we were getting a field stretcher that wasn't gonna bring back the 3 deep days of old, mostly because of the scheme which doesn't take dictate alot of shots deep.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090799
    Its the same as people who say we should cut McKinnie. Until there's a better option, it's a stupid idea.
    Good post.

    From what I gather, 5 or 6 of the OT's coming out this year can start at LT from day one.

    Lots of recievers in this class like these two....

    Titus Young - Smallish all around speedster. Can play the slot and the Wideout positions. 2nd to 3rd round projection that could slide up or down based on team needs going into the draft.

    Greg Little - Big possesion type reciever who can also burn you off the line and stretch the field. Projected as a second rounder but will probably slip because of character issues.

    ....... who arehave 1rs/2nd round talent that will produce right off the bat but have some sort of issue related with them that a team will have to gamble on.

    In the end, both BB and Big Mac (and their contracts) can be replace by a cheaper rookie which might give the staff some extra dough to work some contracts with.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #20
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings Could Cut Bernard Berrian This Week

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090852
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090799
    Its the same as people who say we should cut McKinnie. Until there's a better option, it's a stupid idea.
    Good post.

    From what I gather, 5 or 6 of the OT's coming out this year can start at LT from day one.

    Lots of recievers in this class like these two....

    Titus Young - Smallish all around speedster. Can play the slot and the Wideout positions. 2nd to 3rd round projection that could slide up or down based on team needs going into the draft.

    Greg Little - Big possesion type reciever who can also burn you off the line and stretch the field. Projected as a second rounder but will probably slip because of character issues.

    ....... who arehave 1rs/2nd round talent that will produce right off the bat but have some sort of issue related with them that a team will have to gamble on.

    In the end, both BB and Big Mac (and their contracts) can be replace by a cheaper rookie which might give the staff some extra dough to work some contracts with.
    Agreed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. bernard berrian on tv!
    By purplengold in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
  2. My Bernard Berrian cards!
    By VikesFan787 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 11:09 PM
  3. Bernard Berrian
    By ktarinze in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 02:10 AM
  4. Vikings, Bernard Berrian were a natural match
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 01:47 PM
  5. Bernard Berrian Talks
    By C Mac D in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 10:25 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •