Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings are concentrating on draft

"Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    No one is saying get Peppers. I was showing how a great team, is actively trying to get better via Free agency even though they are great at improving via the draft.
    We are an average team and we aren't ACTIVELY trying to get better via free agency. We are trying to do it thru the draft, which we have had some really shakey drafts.

Do you know of an other Runyan? :
    RT is that bad!

I understand that, but I really want to know who you want us to go after.
    There isn't much out there right now.
    I would have loved it if we made a better offer to TJ (Or at least didn't let him talk to TJack ), but its done.
    There aren't a lot of other free agents that I am worked up about.
    There are pleanty out there that I wouldn't be upset with if we signed, but not a single one that I think we NEED or can't do just as well at in the draft.
    Or we could fix Rt with a vet like Runyan and Co and free up the pick we plan to use on a young RT to spend elsewhere? My belief on what sepearates a 1st rounder from a 2nd rounder is time t groom. Why invest a 1st round pick on a RT because we need one to play now, when we could bring in a Starter and aplayer who has excelled in this league and draft a Rt with a 2nd or 3rd rounder and give him 2 years to become a starting caliber player?You can then use that 1st rounder to bring in a starter caliber Rookie at...I don't know....Wr or CB...Hell even DT like most of you clamor for!

Runyan? Really?

The same John Runyan that's 35 years old and just had microfracture knee surgery?

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    No one is saying get Peppers. I was showing how a great team, is actively trying to get better via Free agency even though they are great at improving via the draft.
    We are an average team and we aren't ACTIVELY trying to get better via free agency. We are trying to do it thru the draft, which we have had some really shakey drafts.
    So an 11-5 team that missed the playoffs is great, but a 10-6 team that won their division is average?
    That team also played 15 games without their best player. Could we got 10-6 without ours?
    We would have easily lost 3-4 more games with Chester and No real option as a backup.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    So an 11-5 team that missed the playoffs is great, but a 10-6 team that won their division is average?
    That team also played 15 games without their best player. Could we got 10-6 without ours?
    We would have easily lost 3-4 more games with Chester and No real option as a backup.

Fact remains, you are calling that 11-5 team, w/o thier best player "great" while you to refer to our 10-6 team with our best player as "average". Not to mention we had some pretty significant injuries as well.

I totally understand your theory about a great team actively trying to get better, but I don't think the Pats were great last year, nor do I think we were average.

There was some article about the moves made by the 2008 Steelers and 2007 Giants before they won championships. (If canyone has the link please re-post). Both teams arguably got worse, but still kept most of thier core. I'm not saying that is the way to go, but it made me rethink things. If you can believe that we are still the 10-6 team we were last year, then a good draft could be enough to get us back (and deeper) into the playoffs. However, I'll be the first to admit, that is a big if.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456