Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings are concentrating on draft

"V" wrote:
    Honestly, going into this FA, I was hoping we would just re-sign Birk and Sharper (both of which are not asking for that much cash), upgrade the QB situation with Garcia, and then use the draft to supplement our already vast amount of talent. I don't think that was too much to ask for.

As things went on of course, things changed. Jason Brown would have been a nice replacement for Birk. TJ would have been a major upgrade. I would expect any Vikings fan to want those guys, and therefore be at least disappointed when they were not acquired. In the end I would hope that no fan was asking the world of the FO, but fans do not like question marks, and right now we have more questions marks than we started 2008 with.

How comfortable you are with this offseason thus far is 100% dependent on how comforatable you are with Ryan Cook, John Sullivan, Sidney Rice, Tyrell Johnson, Tavaris Jackson, and Sage Rosenfels. Moreover, because we have seen none of Sage and Sullivan and little of Sidney and Tyrell, it extends to you comfort off the coaching staff who is OKing them to start.

Is TJ going to develop into a competent QB?
    Is Sage the veteran than can lead this talented team?
    Were Rice's troubles last year a result of injury or mediocre play?
    Can a young Sullivan come in and instantly produce at a critical position?
    Will a young Tyrell put his struggles from last year behind him?
    Can Ryan Cook improve enough to hold down the RT spot?

Many would answer negatively to thsoe questions and so I can easily understand thier anger when it comes to our FA plan. Bringing back Birk, Sharper, and sign Garcia eliminates four of those questions.

Either way, our plan is crucial on turning out a good draft. QB, OT, WR are all major possiblities for first round picks. Our 2nd and 3rd round picks also will be expected to contribute from the get go.
    Very great take. Housh was really the only one that I saw as I really wanted as big name. Especially after Gross and Carey signed.
    The only other "name" out there I want is Holt. I honestly expected some solid Mid level FA to be picked up, as
    thought there were alot of solid players to get at OT(Stichcomb, Womak), FB(Mike Karney), and add depth in the secondary that could also add to ST (Chris
    Carr, Buchanon and not Paymah). At QB I thought that maybe the Vikes would check out Garcia, who I am still surprised is not on a team. There ar ealot of solid names out there at QB that if nothing else would give soem experinced depth on the bech. Boller(Who I think could be a solid player in the right system) and Leftwich

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

"Garland" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    Honestly, going into this FA, I was hoping we would just re-sign Birk and Sharper (both of which are not asking for that much cash), upgrade the QB situation with Garcia, and then use the draft to supplement our already vast amount of talent. I don't think that was too much to ask for.

As things went on of course, things changed. Jason Brown would have been a nice replacement for Birk. TJ would have been a major upgrade. I would expect any Vikings fan to want those guys, and therefore be at least disappointed when they were not acquired. In the end I would hope that no fan was asking the world of the FO, but fans do not like question marks, and right now we have more questions marks than we started 2008 with.

How comfortable you are with this offseason thus far is 100% dependent on how comforatable you are with Ryan Cook, John Sullivan, Sidney Rice, Tyrell Johnson, Tavaris Jackson, and Sage Rosenfels. Moreover, because we have seen none of Sage and Sullivan and little of Sidney and Tyrell, it extends to you comfort off the coaching staff who is OKing them to start.

Many would answer negatively to thsoe questions and so I can easily understand thier anger when it comes to our FA plan. Bringing back Birk, Sharper, and sign Garcia eliminates four of those questions.

Either way, our plan is crucial on turning out a good draft. QB, OT, WR are all major possiblities for first round picks. Our 2nd and 3rd round picks also will be expected to contribute from the get go.
    Very great take. Housh was really the only one that I saw as I really wanted as big name. Especially after Gross and Carey signed.
    The only other "name" out there I want is Holt. I honestly expected some solid Mid level FA to be picked up, as
    thought there were alot of solid players to get at OT(Stichcomb, Womak), FB(Mike Karney), and add depth in the secondary that could also add to ST (Chris
    Carr, Buchanon and not Paymah). At QB I thought that maybe the Vikes would check out Garcia, who I am still surprised is not on a team. There ar ealot of solid names out there at QB that if nothing else would give soem experinced depth on the bech. Boller(Who I think could be a solid player in the right system) and Leftwich
    yes! i'm very surprised we didnt take a look at leftwich or garcia... womack... buchanon/mcfadden/carr... or still even holt and possibly hackett. but doing well in the draft if a major concern and hopefully we'll do well. i'm just interested in which direction we'll go in the first round.

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"thatjusthappened28" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

yes! i'm very surprised we didnt take a look at leftwich or garcia... womack... buchanon/mcfadden/carr... or still even holt and possibly hackett. but doing well in the draft if a major concern and hopefully we'll do well. i'm just interested in which direction we'll go in the first round.
    I can understand Leftwich.
    That delivery is just to damn slow for this offense.
    Garcia on the other hand, even though he is a perenial 9-7 QB, I would have liked to see him come in and at least compete for the job.

Still, he is sitting there with very little interest from other teams.
    Might still be an option.
    He did say he wouldn't be apposed to coming in and being a backup.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    If this team is going to be successful over the long term it is going to have to rely on the draft for that success. You can go on a spending spree for a few years to add younger vets who are going to form the nucleus of the team, but starting next year the contracts of the current players are going to start to come up and they will be the ones looking for a big pay day and we will need the dollars to resign them. That is where getting younger guys in their first contracts playing key roles in the roster will keep us competitive.

IMO we have already spent more than enough on FA talent and the real test of the organization is going to be how many roster spots are going to be successfully filled by drafted talent who turn out to be great, not just potentially acceptable players if they happen to ever develop.

I don't want any more high dollar FA's on the team right now. Although I hope they bring in more competition on the OL from second tier vets who get released after the draft to clear space for rookies who are drafted high.
    Resigning our good young players or extending their contracts before they become free agents is crucial to long term success.
    We will also need to replace Pat Williams and Winfield at some point.
    Players as special as those two don't come along very often.

So I am also in favor of not over spending unless the deal is too good to pass up.

Houshetc. would have been one of those deals.
    Though I wanted him here, I'm glad they didn't overspend to get him.

Building primarily through the draft is a sound plan as long as we don't have a Matt Millen type in our draft room.

Wonder if we could draft an offensive coordinator ?

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Geeez!
    Enough with the sky is falling already!!!
    We're a 10-6 team that won their division and lost to a tough team in the playoffs.
    With EJ, Farwell, Udeze, and Gordon all returning from injury/illness, our already stellar defense should be even better!
    All of our young players will have one more year PLUS a playoff game of experience when next season starts.

We replaced the old immobile interception tosser with a younger faster model.
    Jackson has looked great at times and bad at others with the bad times diminishing...I think he's going to be good enough...his biggest problem being confidence which should come from experience (of course, better blocking and an open WR would help!)
    We've got the best RB in the league who also is still improving and the best backup to boot!!

Our FO is now focused on the future and our new ownership isn't afraid to spend the money it takes to build an annual contender!!
    In fact, our needs are few, and our draft will likely focus on potential replacements for soon to be older, veteran Free Agents.
    We've moved away from tossing kids to the fire early, and over to getting them some bench learning first.
    From a pure business standpoint, you can see our management heading in the right direction.
    For example, assuming Sharper plays somewhere else for decent money, we will get a supplemental pick or two, cuz we didn't add anybody with the starts Birk and Sharp have.

This is old school Vikings football!
    This defense can dominate with just a tiny bit more offensive production.
    As prophet summed it up half a year ago...

Get the fuck out of the way.
    The Vikings are here to shove that damned pigskin down your throat, pull it out of your ass, then shove it down your throat again.
    9-3-08
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Geeez!
    Enough with the sky is falling already!!!
    We're a 10-6 team that won their division and lost to a tough team in the playoffs.
    With EJ, Farwell, Udeze, and Gordon all returning from injury/illness, our already stellar defense should be even better!
    All of our young players will have one more year PLUS a playoff game of experience when next season starts.

We replaced the old immobile interception tosser with a younger faster model.
    Jackson has looked great at times and bad at others with the bad times diminishing...I think he's going to be good enough...his biggest problem being confidence which should come from experience (of course, better blocking and an open WR would help!)
    We've got the best RB in the league who also is still improving and the best backup to boot!!

Our FO is now focused on the future and our new ownership isn't afraid to spend the money it takes to build an annual contender!!
    In fact, our needs are few, and our draft will likely focus on potential replacements for soon to be older, veteran Free Agents.
    We've moved away from tossing kids to the fire early, and over to getting them some bench learning first.
    From a pure business standpoint, you can see our management heading in the right direction.
    For example, assuming Sharper plays somewhere else for decent money, we will get a supplemental pick or two, cuz we didn't add anybody with the starts Birk and Sharp have.

This is old school Vikings football!
    This defense can dominate with just a tiny bit more offensive production.
    As prophet summed it up half a year ago...

Get the floop out of the way.
    The Vikings are here to shove that damned pigskin down your throat, pull it out of your jiggly butt, then shove it down your throat again.
    9-3-08
    Loving the positivity!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Mr" wrote:
    "mamaluke" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Keeping in mind that there may be no salary cap next year, getting in biding wars for FA's is not the way to go. Building threw the draft is the best way to go. Our FO has a plan, now lets stop knee jerking until something of note happens. We need another solid draft, and I'm confident we have done our research and know what we are doing. 8).. That's right, the "Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades"..... 8)
    Can you send me some of whatever your smoking.... we need another solid draft????? When was the last itme we had a solid draft??????? Our FO has a plan??????? Yeah, they are planning what they are going to be doing after Wilf gives them pink slips.....
    We've actually had pretty gol 'darnit good drafts under Childress' administration.

We drafted 5 starters in 2006.
    In 2007 we draft 3 guys that see significant time, one of which is a superstar.
    In 2008 we only had 5 picks, but 4 of them were in the 5th and 6th round, but still, 2 starters on next year's roster in Tyrell Johnson and John Sullivan. And of course, we traded our 1st and 3rd rounder for Jared Allen.

I don't know what kind of idea you have in your head about draft success rates, but ours has been gol 'darnit high since Childress took over.
    let us be reminded that a few of those starters are out of necessity and have no business starting... i.e. cook, sullivan, TJ, Rice.

and where are they starting?
    offense.. bc we gutted the offense to rebuild in chilly's mold and u see where that has us now right??
    crappy on offense esp. in the passing game..

so while we have had some mild success.. it's still a huge problem and those guys shouldn't be starting...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "mamaluke" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Keeping in mind that there may be no salary cap next year, getting in biding wars for FA's is not the way to go. Building threw the draft is the best way to go. Our FO has a plan, now lets stop knee jerking until something of note happens. We need another solid draft, and I'm confident we have done our research and know what we are doing. 8).. That's right, the "Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades"..... 8)
    Can you send me some of whatever your smoking.... we need another solid draft????? When was the last itme we had a solid draft??????? Our FO has a plan??????? Yeah, they are planning what they are going to be doing after Wilf gives them pink slips.....
    We've actually had pretty gol 'darnit good drafts under Childress' administration.

In 2008 we only had 5 picks, but 4 of them were in the 5th and 6th round, but still, 2 starters on next year's roster in Tyrell Johnson and John Sullivan. And of course, we traded our 1st and 3rd rounder for Jared Allen.

I don't know what kind of idea you have in your head about draft success rates, but ours has been gol 'darnit high since Childress took over.
    let us be reminded that a few of those starters are out of necessity and have no business starting... i.e. cook, sullivan, TJ, Rice.

offense.. bc we gutted the offense to rebuild in chilly's mold and u see where that has us now right??

so while we have had some mild success.. it's still a huge problem and those guys shouldn't be starting...
    I don't think you can say that Sullivan shouldn't be starting.
    None of us have seen him play, so he could be just fine.
    Everybody has their first game sometime.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "mamaluke" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

I don't think you can say that Sullivan shouldn't be starting.
    None of us have seen him play, so he could be just fine.
    Everybody has their first game sometime.
    true and i feel you!!>. i'm pretty much basing that on what I've heard from guys like Adam Caplan, Todd Steuber, and Spielman... they wouldn't have tried to sign birk back if they thought he was ready...

remember, we let christy walk... they tried to re-sign birk before he walked... slight difference... i.e. Darren Sharper situation!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

So lets get this straight...
    The Pats, who have Randy and Walker at Wr, felt that they can sign Joey Galloway but we are because the talent pool is too thin?

The same Pats, whose D is about as good as our own, are planning to make a move for Peppers but we are set because the talent pool is too thin.

It's a good thing we have all those Superbowl rings else a few fans might get upset!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast