Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings are concentrating on draft

[size=13pt]Vikings are concentrating on draft[/size]

Fewer exceptional free agents were available this year, so owner Zygi Wilf said the draft will be the team's emphasis.

By SID HARTMAN, Star Tribune

Last update: March 14, 2009 - 9:46 PM

Owner Zygi Wilf said the Vikings probably won't sign any high-level free agents for the 2009 season, after the team spent $81 million in contracts for three players (Bernard Berrian, Madieu Williams and Thomas Tapeh) in the first two days of free agency last year....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings are concentrating on draft

Fewer exceptional free agents were available this year, so owner Zygi Wilf said the draft will be the team's emphasis.
    Fewer?

I may be wrong, but IMO, the FA pool was bigger this year than it was last year. Perhaps I'm thinking 2 years ago.

But then again, when you wait 2 weeks without bringing anyone in but Housh, I imagine the talent pool is quite sparse by then.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"We are going to have to concentrate on the draft," Wilf said. "That's the long-term solution.
    Long term?
    Probably the right answer is to add depth at this point, however, most of the fans don't want to hear crap like that.

Wonder how many fans are thinking about not buying tickets because they didn't see the Vikings name on ESPN all offseason...... :

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    Fewer?

I may be wrong, but IMO, the FA pool was bigger this year than it was last year. Perhaps I'm thinking 2 years ago.

But then again, when you wait 2 weeks without bringing anyone in but Housh, I imagine the talent pool is quite sparse by then.

I would say that last year's FA pool was better.
    More players worth the money.
    This year it was only OK.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Fewer?

I would say that last year's FA pool was better.
    More players worth the money.
    This year it was only OK.
    perhaps more big name players that command big dollars, but it seems to me this season there were a LOT of second tier players out there, and we didn't check ANY out.

mamaluke is offline Starter

Why didn't Wilf just come out and say" Well, I plan on selling this franchise anyway, so who really gives a crap about signing more FA's and throwing my money down the toilet, be grateful you have Berrian and Allen". Wow, the Vikes are concentrating on the draft, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside" . If this draft is as productive as our past few (Peterson excluded) we should be a superbowl contender in no time, or at least before we head off to LA, give me a break!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If this team is going to be successful over the long term it is going to have to rely on the draft for that success. You can go on a spending spree for a few years to add younger vets who are going to form the nucleus of the team, but starting next year the contracts of the current players are going to start to come up and they will be the ones looking for a big pay day and we will need the dollars to resign them. That is where getting younger guys in their first contracts playing key roles in the roster will keep us competitive.

IMO we have already spent more than enough on FA talent and the real test of the organization is going to be how many roster spots are going to be successfully filled by drafted talent who turn out to be great, not just potentially acceptable players if they happen to ever develop.

I don't want any more high dollar FA's on the team right now. Although I hope they bring in more competition on the OL from second tier vets who get released after the draft to clear space for rookies who are drafted high.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Keeping in mind that there may be no salary cap next year, getting in biding wars for FA's is not the way to go. Building threw the draft is the best way to go. Our FO has a plan, now lets stop knee jerking until something of note happens. We need another solid draft, and I'm confident we have done our research and know what we are doing. 8).. That's right, the "Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades"..... 8)

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

And then there are supplemental picks...According to my guesstimation, if Sharp and Birk both leave, taking their contracts and starts away from us, while we don't add any signigicant contracts or vets with many starts, we're looking at free extra pick(s).
    Hell with the starts those guys have, we may even get a 4th to replace the one we used on Sage.

The draft is the future of your team.
    Teams that draft badly have no future (see DET).
    Teams that draft well (and play the FA/supplemental pick game well) are always competitive (see NE).
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mamaluke is offline Starter

QB's

"mountainviking" wrote:
    And then there are supplemental picks...According to my guesstimation, if Sharp and Birk both leave, taking their contracts and starts away from us, while we don't add any signigicant contracts or vets with many starts, we're looking at free extra pick(s).
    Hell with the starts those guys have, we may even get a 4th to replace the one we used on Sage.

The draft is the future of your team.
    Teams that draft badly have no future (see DET).
    Teams that draft well (and play the FA/supplemental pick game well) are always competitive (see NE).
    The draft may be the future of a team but we need a solution NOW!!!!! How long do you expect to wait to see how our draft picks are going to develop????? When was the last time we were in a Superbowl???? This team IMO is not too far away from heading to sunny ol' LA for petes sake!! Based on this teams latest few drafts (with the exception of Peterson) I do not have a whole hell of a lot of confidence that we know what we are doing!!!!!! I say spend whatever we need to spend, get the guys in here that will give us a shot and go for it!!! We need to get some playmakers and big names on this team to draw a little attention and keep fans in the seats. Signing 2nd string QB's and hoping that we can get some draft picks that can start or develop into a possible starter is in indication that Wil has decided to save some cash and hopefully get lucky and win another division title before he sells the team!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast