Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings Combine Buzz

In the most recent version of my mock draft, I have the Vikings taking quarterback Colin Kaepernick of Nevada in the second round. The pistol quarterback continues to impress, and a radar gun was used at the Combine to determine he had the strongest arm of the group.

While draft boards are still fluid, the Vikings are believed to potentially prepared to consider Alabama receiver Julio Jones at the #12 spot. Jones was impressive throughout the Combine, especially when considering he was performing with a broken bone in his foot.
    Vikings Combine Buzz

Not much going on with respect to the combine on here. Anyone else watchign it as much as I am.

Some that I was impressed with:

a. Julio Jones. How in the hell can you run that fast, jump that high and far with a busted foot. My kindof players.

b. Kaepernick continues to impress, however, so did all the other QB's. Seems they are pretty much the same ilk if you ask me. All projects with none of them projected as immediate starters. I for one, wouldn't be to upset if they take one of them at 12. As I said in another post, if you like him, take him instead of risking loosing him to another team that likes him.

c. Marcell Dareus. No way he gets to us, but damn if he wouldn't look good next to Guion for alot of years. One that I think might be in our wheel house and one we should look at is Stephen Paea.

Strengths
    Freakishly strong. Could be one of the strongest players in the nation. His size give him a natural leverage advantage. Possesses a violent punch that shocks offensive linemen off the snap. Has the strength to lock linemen out, find the ball, and make a play on the ball carrier. Has enough quickness to penetrate into the backfield and disrupt. Plays with a non-stop motor. Always working toward the ball and after the quarterback as a pass rusher. Because of his strength, he's constantly is double-teamed, allowing linebackers to be freed up to make plays on the ball carrier. Shows promise as a pass rusher. When he uses his hands, he has a nice rip and arm over moves. Gives great effort on every play, which leads him to getting sacks. When he wants to, he can be a dominating player.
    Weaknesses
    A raw prospect who only has played football for five years. Doesn't possess an explosive burst as a pass rusher. Has such great strength, but doesn't use it to his advantage enough as a pass rusher. Needs to develop counter moves to become a more effective pass rusher. Plays with inconsistent technique. Has trouble playing with his hands and shedding blocks consistently. Struggles to locate the ball at times. Lacks the athleticism to make plays in space and in pursuit.
    Projection
    Late First Round-Early Second Round. One of the top DT prospects in the 2011 NFL Draft, but because of his size, he will be limited to playing in a 4-3 scheme.
    Most of the negative stuff on him is that he doesn't rush the passer well. Who the hell cares. We need someone to beef up the middle, not rush the passer.

d. LB. Mark Herzlich. Not sure if he is worth a pick, but I sure the hell wish him the best. Extremely touching story how he has beat the rare bone cancer and is back.

Anyone else see someone they like?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings Combine Buzz

I was watching it with my wife and it looks like there are about 150 guys with top 10 talent:laugh: They do a pretty good job of talking up the players almost to a point I have to check and make sure it isn't a NASCAR show.

It looks like there are 3-4 very similar QB's that will be there by 12 and 1-2 will probably be there in the 2nd.

It will be interesting to see how the talent shakes out at the top because a run at DL at the top could push a top notch CB or the right QB to us. OTOH if the QB's grade out and they start to move up the board we could get a top DT, OL, Wr or CB.

One way or the other we need to score a guy that will solidify a roster spot for the next 8 years or so.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Some notes here

Jones being that fast is impressive, AJ Green is still the better player based on pure talent, route running and catching the ball, but Jones has never been far off..

Ponder and Mallett throwing the ball was expected but nice to see they lived up to it, Cam Newton showed how far away from an NFL QB he is.

Jonathan Baldwin might be a good pick in the 2nd round at WR.

Heard good things about OC Brandon Fusco from Slippery Rock

Other than only putting up 21 reps, Nate Solder had an impressive workout.

OG Danny Watkins might have moved into the first round.

DE JJ Watt looked very explosive

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1090385
    Some notes here

Jones being that fast is impressive, AJ Green is still the better player based on pure talent, route running and catching the ball, but Jones has never been far off..

Ponder and Mallett throwing the ball was expected but nice to see they lived up to it, Cam Newton showed how far away from an NFL QB he is.

Not sure why everyone is down on Cam. While I prefer Mallet, Cam's deep ball were amazing. His throws to the speed route were off but so were many ( including Ponder and Colin). I think the only Qb that looked like the real deal was Mallet. I think he can come in and start from day one, as long as he is protected well.....like any QB.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090384
    I was watching it with my wife and it looks like there are about 150 guys with top 10 talent:laugh: They do a pretty good job of talking up the players almost to a point I have to check and make sure it isn't a NASCAR show.

It looks like there are 3-4 very similar QB's that will be there by 12 and 1-2 will probably be there in the 2nd.

It will be interesting to see how the talent shakes out at the top because a run at DL at the top could push a top notch CB or the right QB to us. OTOH if the QB's grade out and they start to move up the board we could get a top DT, OL, Wr or CB.

One way or the other we need to score a guy that will solidify a roster spot for the next 8 years or so.
    I agree, there sure seems to be some talent there, but as you say, most of it is about middle of the pack, first round talent.

Not alot of real "Superstar" stuff out there.

In the end, I think we should be able to get 2 "Can't miss" guys if we stay were we are at with our first and second.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1090392
    Some notes here

Not sure why everyone is down on Cam. While I prefer Mallet, Cam's deep ball were amazing. His throws to the speed route were off but so were many ( including Ponder and Colin). I think the only Qb that looked like the real deal was Mallet. I think he can come in and start from day one, as long as he is protected well.....like any QB.
    Good stuff Skum.

I also put JJ Watt on my "Watch List".

For Kev. I think it was all the "High" balls on the shorter throws that kindof put me off of him.

In the end, he is very talented and I was very impresse (have been every time I've heard him talk) when he gets in front of the camera, however, as Skum says, he is a long ways away. Probably a bit more than some of the other guys rated lower than him.

In short, if your looking for a project, a 3 year project is probably more attractive now than a 4 or 5 year project (not saying he is, just using that as an example) right now.

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090397
    Some notes here

Good stuff Skum.

For Kev. I think it was all the "High" balls on the shorter throws that kindof put me off of him.

In the end, he is very talented and I was very impresse (have been every time I've heard him talk) when he gets in front of the camera, however, as Skum says, he is a long ways away. Probably a bit more than some of the other guys rated lower than him.

In short, if your looking for a project, a 3 year project is probably more attractive now than a 4 or 5 year project (not saying he is, just using that as an example) right now.
    I agree Marr,
    But that has always been the knock on him. His intermediate stuff needs some refining. However, the combine really doesn't do justice to the guys who can do a bit more with their feet and strength. I think if you simply look at Cam as a drop back passer, scouts a missing the bigger picture. It's the whole package that he brings to the table. I love the guy and wish he could be a Viking. I think people are quick to label him a Vince Young like guy when their games are nothing really a like. Vince was no where the passer Cam is. Vince had an awkward 3/4 motion to his throws and never had the passion for the game that Cam has.

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1090403
    Some notes here

Good stuff Skum.

I agree Marr,
    But that has always been the knock on him. His intermediate stuff needs some refining. However, the combine really doesn't do justice to the guys who can do a bit more with their feet and strength. I think if you simply look at Cam as a drop back passer, scouts a missing the bigger picture. It's the whole package that he brings to the table. I love the guy and wish he could be a Viking. I think people are quick to label him a Vince Young like guy when their games are nothing really a like. Vince was no where the passer Cam is. Vince had an awkward 3/4 motion to his throws and never had the passion for the game that Cam has.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I'm not basing my opinion just on what I've seen at the combine.

He is probably one of the few QB's I've seen play multiple times.

I think Mayock said it best though, if you bring him in, you need to be ready to remake your offense to fit his skillset and you better be prepared to be patient with that process for several years.

I agree with that and then take it one step further.....What if you go ahead and build your offense around him and then, based on the assumption that it will be a predominant 1 read and run offense to start out with, he gets hurt in the second year.

Your screwed.

Again, I love what he brings, but from a long term standpoint, I would rather reach for a kid like Kap or wait and take a kid like Ponder or the kid out of TCU in the second.

All three are projects but atleast they fit your scheme and you won't have to retool if they fail. You just go out and get the next project that can run your scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090410
    Some notes here

Good stuff Skum.

I agree Marr,
    Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I'm not basing my opinion just on what I've seen at the combine.

I think Mayock said it best though, if you bring him in, you need to be ready to remake your offense to fit his skillset and you better be prepared to be patient with that process for several years.

I agree with that and then take it one step further.....What if you go ahead and build your offense around him and then, based on the assumption that it will be a predominant 1 read and run offense to start out with, he gets hurt in the second year.

Your screwed.

Again, I love what he brings, but from a long term standpoint, I would rather reach for a kid like Kap or wait and take a kid like Ponder or the kid out of TCU in the second.

All three are projects but atleast they fit your scheme and you won't have to retool if they fail. You just go out and get the next project that can run your scheme.
    I think the kid is talented enough to be taught a scheme. All of the Qbs you named minus Ponder, are coming from the Sprea / pistol offense and need to be rebuilt as well. I rather have the guy that can make all the throws. Ponder never looked good in college and outside of some accuracy, I never understood the love for him. I really want Mallet. The guy played the best, beat the best and played at a high level. His supporting cast was also dreadful. The biggest knock on him is that he was coached by the same guy who taugh Brian Brohm.

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1090414
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090410
    Some notes here

Good stuff Skum.

I agree Marr,

Your screwed.

I think the kid is talented enough to be taught a scheme. All of the Qbs you named minus Ponder, are coming from the Sprea / pistol offense and need to be rebuilt as well. I rather have the guy that can make all the throws. Ponder never looked good in college and outside of some accuracy, I never understood the love for him. I really want Mallet. The guy played the best, beat the best and played at a high level. His supporting cast was also dreadful. The biggest knock on him is that he was coached by the same guy who taugh Brian Brohm.
    Mayock broke down the offense Cam ran and it was a 1 look run kindof thing. Of course, when Mayock asked him, he said he did the best with the scheme that was given him and that he could be taught to run another scheme.

It was a good answer IMHO and probably true, the problem is, he doesn't have the background the others have at making multiple reads like the others.

Again, that is a big issue at the NFL level. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he can't learn it, I'm just saying that he will take longer than a kid that already has experience doing it.

What I like about Ponder is his accuracy. Very important in the WCO scheme.

As to Mallet, I'm not apposed to him either. Truth of the matter is, I wouldn't be upset if they took any one of the top 7 QB's at 12. I just hope they don't do it to appease fans but do it cause he will eventually pan out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast