Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092408
    Carson Palmer intrigues me. He's very smart and a natural leader, and great passer. His numbers were good in 2010. Also he has proven he can stay healthy for 16 games, which often seperates the good Qb's from the great ones. Cinci is a mess and has been for a while, I think he could be a franchise QB for the Vikings.
    I know the owner over there doesn't want to part with him, but if we made a fair offer(1st rounder this year?), I think it could happen.
    Of all the QB's available he'd be my first choice followed by:
    Cam Newton
    Blaine Gabbert
    Kevin Kolb
    Donovan McNabb
    Ryan Mallett
    Carson is not going anywere my friend and probably won't play this year. Lets not forget that when Chad pulled this, teams offered a 1rst and a 3rd for a WR that touches the ball maybe 5 times a game and he turned them down.

    As I said, the only way I think he isn't a Bengal next year (other than retirement) is if the do take a QB high (=lots of money) and Carson decides to show up in camp (=lots of money) and the owner says I can't afford it.

    By that time, it would be to late IMHO for Carson to come in and really get the offense down.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1092409
    This may be the one case where I'd be OK giving up next year's first to grab our QB late in this year first, cuz, essentially, you're giving up a future pick but getting a year's head start on our guy's development. And, we would still have our first to get a stud who drops due to all the QBs who do go early...or, perhaps, move back and get our 3rd back, or better.

    Of course, we're probably not the only ones thinking that way either...like you said, there are 8 or 9 teams that pick before us, in both rounds, that also need QBs.

    I'm sure glad I'm not making the decision! To me, with my limited knowledge and lack of talking to the guys to get a feel for personalities, I've got Locker, Ponder, Mallet, Caepernick roughly equal with Dalton, Stanzi, Devlin, and McElroy not terrible drop offs for a couple rounds later.
    They sure wash out pretty equally for me as well. I just have Gabbert, Newton and Mallet all worth taking with the 12th.

    [quoteRandom thought on WAS: Shanahan did move up for Cutler.][/quote]
    Great point on Shanahan. Problem is, he isn't the GM for the Deadskins and doesn't have that say anymore.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #23
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1092410
    Mike Brown (Bengals owner) is in some sort of bizarre denial... It's way past him "not being held hostage by a player"- he really thinks Carson will come around eventually or some shit.

    Memo to Mike:

    Get what you can for Carson, 'cause he ain't bullshittin' !

    Bengals are taking a QB in this draft, imo, and I wouldn't be all that shocked to see them take MALLETT with their FOURTH PICK, unless Brown comes to his senses, (assuming a CBA @ draft time) and in that scenario, I say forget Kolb to Seattle rumors, because Palmer is going to Seattle.

    Did I mention that Pete Carroll was Palmer's coach at USC? B)
    I hear the Bengals like all of the top 5. My guess, they will definately get Newton if he is there and might take one with their third pick and get a top tier WR with their first in the hopes of making Carson happy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #24
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092414
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092408
    Carson Palmer intrigues me. He's very smart and a natural leader, and great passer. His numbers were good in 2010. Also he has proven he can stay healthy for 16 games, which often seperates the good Qb's from the great ones. Cinci is a mess and has been for a while, I think he could be a franchise QB for the Vikings.
    I know the owner over there doesn't want to part with him, but if we made a fair offer(1st rounder this year?), I think it could happen.
    Of all the QB's available he'd be my first choice followed by:
    Cam Newton
    Blaine Gabbert
    Kevin Kolb
    Donovan McNabb
    Ryan Mallett
    Carson is not going anywere my friend and probably won't play this year. Lets not forget that when Chad pulled this, teams offered a 1rst and a 3rd for a WR that touches the ball maybe 5 times a game and he turned them down.

    As I said, the only way I think he isn't a Bengal next year (other than retirement) is if the do take a QB high (=lots of money) and Carson decides to show up in camp (=lots of money) and the owner says I can't afford it.

    By that time, it would be to late IMHO for Carson to come in and really get the offense down.
    With Chad the owner knew 100% that he could win.
    Carson on the other hand has the money set aside, and realistically could sit out. Even the most stubborn owner wont pick a fight he knows he can't win.
    I think if the Bengals do take a QB at #4, it is guaranteed they trade Carson. They can't pay both guys and Carson is smart enough to know this and would then show up to camp to collect his 11.5million, forcing the team to trade him.
    If they don't draft a QB, and Carson retires, then what? They are forced to bring in a vet, which leads to the same scenario, Carson shows up to collect his 11.5million and the owner has to pay both guys.
    Basically leaves the owner with very little choices. Either trade carson and find a replacement. Or let him retire and not spend on another Qb, go into the season with backup quality QB's only(this could happen I suppose).

  5. #25
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092427
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092414
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092408
    Carson Palmer intrigues me. He's very smart and a natural leader, and great passer. His numbers were good in 2010. Also he has proven he can stay healthy for 16 games, which often seperates the good Qb's from the great ones. Cinci is a mess and has been for a while, I think he could be a franchise QB for the Vikings.
    I know the owner over there doesn't want to part with him, but if we made a fair offer(1st rounder this year?), I think it could happen.
    Of all the QB's available he'd be my first choice followed by:
    Cam Newton
    Blaine Gabbert
    Kevin Kolb
    Donovan McNabb
    Ryan Mallett
    Carson is not going anywere my friend and probably won't play this year. Lets not forget that when Chad pulled this, teams offered a 1rst and a 3rd for a WR that touches the ball maybe 5 times a game and he turned them down.

    As I said, the only way I think he isn't a Bengal next year (other than retirement) is if the do take a QB high (=lots of money) and Carson decides to show up in camp (=lots of money) and the owner says I can't afford it.

    By that time, it would be to late IMHO for Carson to come in and really get the offense down.
    With Chad the owner knew 100% that he could win.
    Carson on the other hand has the money set aside, and realistically could sit out. Even the most stubborn owner wont pick a fight he knows he can't win.
    I think if the Bengals do take a QB at #4, it is guaranteed they trade Carson. They can't pay both guys and Carson is smart enough to know this and would then show up to camp to collect his 11.5million, forcing the team to trade him.
    If they don't draft a QB, and Carson retires, then what? They are forced to bring in a vet, which leads to the same scenario, Carson shows up to collect his 11.5million and the owner has to pay both guys.
    Basically leaves the owner with very little choices. Either trade carson and find a replacement. Or let him retire and not spend on another Qb, go into the season with backup quality QB's only(this could happen I suppose).
    I hear ya on all counts my friend. I just don't see Carson in any other uniform this year unless its the stripes.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #26
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092450
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092427
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092414
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092408
    Carson Palmer intrigues me. He's very smart and a natural leader, and great passer. His numbers were good in 2010. Also he has proven he can stay healthy for 16 games, which often seperates the good Qb's from the great ones. Cinci is a mess and has been for a while, I think he could be a franchise QB for the Vikings.
    I know the owner over there doesn't want to part with him, but if we made a fair offer(1st rounder this year?), I think it could happen.
    Of all the QB's available he'd be my first choice followed by:
    Cam Newton
    Blaine Gabbert
    Kevin Kolb
    Donovan McNabb
    Ryan Mallett
    Carson is not going anywere my friend and probably won't play this year. Lets not forget that when Chad pulled this, teams offered a 1rst and a 3rd for a WR that touches the ball maybe 5 times a game and he turned them down.

    As I said, the only way I think he isn't a Bengal next year (other than retirement) is if the do take a QB high (=lots of money) and Carson decides to show up in camp (=lots of money) and the owner says I can't afford it.

    By that time, it would be to late IMHO for Carson to come in and really get the offense down.
    With Chad the owner knew 100% that he could win.
    Carson on the other hand has the money set aside, and realistically could sit out. Even the most stubborn owner wont pick a fight he knows he can't win.
    I think if the Bengals do take a QB at #4, it is guaranteed they trade Carson. They can't pay both guys and Carson is smart enough to know this and would then show up to camp to collect his 11.5million, forcing the team to trade him.
    If they don't draft a QB, and Carson retires, then what? They are forced to bring in a vet, which leads to the same scenario, Carson shows up to collect his 11.5million and the owner has to pay both guys.
    Basically leaves the owner with very little choices. Either trade carson and find a replacement. Or let him retire and not spend on another Qb, go into the season with backup quality QB's only(this could happen I suppose).
    I hear ya on all counts my friend. I just don't see Carson in any other uniform this year unless its the stripes.
    Then that means the Bengals are not going to draft Newton, one less team to worry about in that regard.

  7. #27
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    Newton might still be there in the 2nd. He is dropping like a rock in the mocks. On NFNL he is projected as the 32nd best player in the draft.

    That being said some team will probably get suckered into taking him in the first but hopefully it isn't the Vikings.

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092465
    Newton might still be there in the 2nd. He is dropping like a rock in the mocks. On NFNL he is projected as the 32nd best player in the draft.

    That being said some team will probably get suckered into taking him in the first but hopefully it isn't the Vikings.
    Wow, none of the ones I've seen (Draft Tek 4th to the Bengals, Kiper 4th to the Bengals, Ourlads 12th to the Vikes) have him dropping at all.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    dfosterf's Avatar
    dfosterf is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    987

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    He might go 1st, lol

    Here's my bottom line. There are 7 quarterbacks in this draft, 8 if you are so bold as to count Stanzi, and the rest are "clean up in aisle 7".

    Gabbert, Newton, Ponder, Locker and Mallett-- all gone by pick 32, imo

    Kaepernick and Dalton go before your 43rd pick in the 2nd

    You now have your choice between Stanzi, and ummm.... Stanzi

    Scouting report-- "Stanzi was throwing the ball all over the place."

    ...and not in a good way

    OR-

    Pat Devlin later "Avg. arm, inconsistent accuracy"

    Nathan Enderle later "Five interceptions against Nebraska."

    Greg McElroy later "He's a projected backup somewhere."

    Scott Tolzien later "Poor arm strength"

    Tyrod Taylor later "A flyer in rds 5-7"

    Seven quarterbacks. 11 teams with a dire need, Philly will be looking to replace Kolb, Elway is NOT seeing the Tebow thing, NE has a gazillion picks and just might upgrade for a back-up, etc etc etc

    You almost HAVE to take from the best left of the top 5 listed at 12, imo

    ...unless you really think that ALL the OTHER teams with a QB need can't friggin count to seven.B)

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1092498
    You almsot HAVE to take from the best left of the top 5 listed at 12, imo
    I agree with that whole post. If we are going to get a kid they like they have to take him at 12.

    or.......

    Trade the pick and get a Kolb.

    My guess, they have had all the big names in for a visit (or will have by draft day). Hopefully the new brain trust will have figured out which one, if any, is worth taking at 12.

    That evaluation will drive what they do, reach for a kid or trade for a vet.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Son of Vikings coach charged with DWI
    By VikingMike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 07:47 AM
  2. My offseason wish list / Evaluation by position
    By NodakPaul in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 12:31 PM
  3. Vikings - Everything Gets Offseason Evaluation
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-27-2006, 06:57 PM
  4. sport card evaluation??
    By magicci in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 03:06 AM
  5. VIKINGS NAME NEW COACH!!!
    By akvikefan89 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 03:29 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •