Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092381
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092353
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092312
    Sure, Frazier is saying having a rookie QB come in and start right away is the ideal situation. But that also makes it, for the moment, the front-running situation. Frazier is basically saying that if the Vikings can draft the guy they want, they are willing to put him out there right away to learn and develop on the job.
    Wednesday (Get ready for a rookie QB as a starter, Vikings fans)

Could have put this in one of 4 threads, however, stuck it in this one cause the quotes go with a few of the articles in this thread.
    At this point i am fine with starting a rookie QB and seeing what happens. If we hit it right we might be able to build for the future and if we are really wrong we are just that much closer to getting luck next year.
    As I said to bleed in my previous post.......I am kindof slipping to the other side of the fence on this.

I don't think they can afford to go with a rookie this year, if they are serious about winning.

Now if they are not serious, and they elect to not resign Rice, Chad, AD, etc and go with a Rookie, then they are in the cost cutting mode I discussed below and are looking to start over and will in essence be building a team that will mature in about 2 to 3 years.

In short, about the same time they should have the stadium deal (for good or for bad) figured out.
    Serious about winning? At this point I am not convinced that is an option considering our roster and the rest of the division. Does anyone think we can tweak our roster, bring in a QB and have any shot at dominating the bears, Lions and Packers this season with a new staff? I don't think so.

dfosterf is offline Coach

In my opinion, most draftniks are going to be absolutely shocked at just how many QB's go "too" early in this draft. There are just so many factors dove-tailing together that will prompt a "run" on the position, perhaps to an unprecedented degree.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092383
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092381
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092353
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092312
    Sure, Frazier is saying having a rookie QB come in and start right away is the ideal situation. But that also makes it, for the moment, the front-running situation. Frazier is basically saying that if the Vikings can draft the guy they want, they are willing to put him out there right away to learn and develop on the job.
    Wednesday (Get ready for a rookie QB as a starter, Vikings fans)

Could have put this in one of 4 threads, however, stuck it in this one cause the quotes go with a few of the articles in this thread.
    At this point i am fine with starting a rookie QB and seeing what happens. If we hit it right we might be able to build for the future and if we are really wrong we are just that much closer to getting luck next year.
    As I said to bleed in my previous post.......I am kindof slipping to the other side of the fence on this.

I don't think they can afford to go with a rookie this year, if they are serious about winning.

Now if they are not serious, and they elect to not resign Rice, Chad, AD, etc and go with a Rookie, then they are in the cost cutting mode I discussed below and are looking to start over and will in essence be building a team that will mature in about 2 to 3 years.

In short, about the same time they should have the stadium deal (for good or for bad) figured out.
    Serious about winning? At this point I am not convinced that is an option considering our roster and the rest of the division. Does anyone think we can tweak our roster, bring in a QB and have any shot at dominating the bears, Lions and Packers this season with a new staff? I don't think so.
    I do but the following would have to happen.....

a. Resign Rice.
    b. Resign Hussain.
    c. Resign AD now.
    d. Resign Chad (Take off the tender)
    e. Draft a stud 0 tech this year. Keep JK and jettison Evans.
    f. Accelerate Griffs (LDE) reps at LDE to spead up his maturity level/play.
    g. Find a FA center.
    h. Get Griff (CB) and Cook back healthy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1092387
    In my opinion, most draftniks are going to be absolutely shocked at just how many QB's go "too" early in this draft. There are just so many factors dove-tailing together that will prompt a "run" on the position, perhaps to an unprecedented degree.
    Not this one.

I am 100% convinced that there will be 2 taken in the top 10 picks and then there will be a move by teams in the top of the second round to get back into the bottom of the first to go after the next wave of QB's.

What will be even more interesting is what will happen with the 2 or 3 that are worth going after in the FA market and the 2 or 3 that are worth trading for.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1092387
    EXACTLY!! I was about to type the same thing based on the top few headlines on PFT this morning. Lets look at the top of the draft:

CAR looks more and more like a QB.
    DEN has even hinted at possibly going QB, but needs DT more.
    BUF HC on Newton & Gabbert “I can tell you right now there’s no question they have an outstanding skill set, both of them,” Gailey told SI’s Don Banks. “Outstanding. Not average. Not above average. Outstanding. Both of them [will] play early and long. I knew that after I watched them on tape.”

CIN will draft a QB in either 1st or 2nd.
    ARI ditto...unless, they trade for Kolb.
    CLE My feeling is they are happy with McCoy.
    SF New HC usually = new QB.
    TEN Vince is gone...I believe they fall into the CIN and ARI pattern.
    DAL & HOU have QBs at picks 9 and 11.
    WAS http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/24/shanahan-lockout-wont-stop-redskins-from-drafting-a-qb/

If anything, we think the lockout will help rookie quarterbacks get selected even higher than they should. Teams like the Redskins aren’t likely to have the chance to solidify their depth chart before the draft. That will make guys like Shanahan more antsy to find a rookie. The tricky part for Washington is they could be in a no man’s land with the No. 10 pick.

Unless they trade up, we suspect the Redskins won’t get a chance to acquire Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton. Taking Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, or Christian Ponder that high looks like a stretch.

There is a good group of second tier prospects including Ponder, Colin Kaepernick, and Andy Dalton, but the Redskins are short two mid-round picks this season so they have to use their picks wisely. One of those mid-round picks was used in the Donovan McNabb trade last year.

They overpaid for McNabb and we suspect Shanahan may overpay for a rookie quarterback this year to make up for it.
    I think that nearly guarantees the Redskins go QB. hmy:

Seems, Nobody wants to listen, but go look at Kolb's stats from last year, and you'll see a fumble in 5 of 6 games he played in and an INT in 4 of those 6 games for a grand total ratio of 7TDs/7INTs/3 Lost Fumbles!

http://www.nfl.com/players/kevinkolb/gamelogs?id=KOL105037
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Good stuff, MV.

I'd also factor in the fear that SO MANY of these GM's are going to feel that they are going to "miss the boat" on getting a quality (as they will invariably convince themselves-as we know, no one knows, + or - )prospect, because SO MANY have a need BEHIND them.

I say that if both the Panthers and the Bills take a QB at 1 and 3, watch out!

...And if the Broncos took one ?!ALSO!?

Holy crap, it would get ugly quick.

I think the over/under of QB's taken in the 1st 10 picks should be radically changed. I KNOW most would say the "2" that Marr stated.

I'm thinking the O/U should be AT LEAST 4.

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1092396
    Good stuff, MV.

I'd also factor in the fear that SO MANY of these GM's are going to feel that they are going to "miss the boat" on getting a quality (as they will invariably convince themselves-as we know, no one knows, + or - )prospect, because SO MANY have a need BEHIND them.

I say that if both the Panthers and the Bills take a QB at 1 and 3, watch out!

...And if the Broncos took one ?!ALSO!?

Holy crap, it would get ugly quick.

I think the over/under of QB's taken in the 1st 10 picks should be radically changed. I KNOW most would say the "2" that Marr stated.

I'm thinking the O/U should be AT LEAST 4.
    LOL, kindof funny when you think about it. Initially when I started to look at the draft a few months ago I said that there were 7 teams (See bolded below) ahead of us that could/should take a QB.

My good friend Mars laughed at me.:laugh: When I look at it now, that number is now 8 or 9 if you throw Denver and Cleveland in there.

Carolina (2-14)
    Denver (4-12)
    Buffalo (4-12)
    Cincinnati (4-12)
    Arizona (5-11)
    Cleveland (5-11)
    San Francisco (6-10)
    Tennessee (6-10)
    Dallas (6-10)
    Washington (6-10)
    Houston (6-10)
    Minnesota (6-10)

In the end, Carolina doesn't like Clausen and doesn't have a 2nd round pick. They are going to go QB.

Denver will go with Orton and give the last staffs mistake one more year to develop so they won't take one.

Bengals are now in the mix cause of the Carson debacle.

The Cards have two rooks already so they don't need another one and will probably target a Vet.

49rs, I think, are going to want to go with a Vet but if they get outbid for Kolb could very well go QB.

Tennesse is another one that will be in the bidding wars for Kolb. If they don't get him, they might take one high if they don't think they can get one in the second.

Wash can say all they want, but they only signed Dnabb to the contract extension so they could control were he goes and are not that inlove with the EX Bore to go with him for very long. Probably take one in the second.

Long story short, if the Vikes like a kid, they better get him at 12 cause he won't be there at 43.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Carson Palmer intrigues me. He's very smart and a natural leader, and great passer. His numbers were good in 2010. Also he has proven he can stay healthy for 16 games, which often seperates the good Qb's from the great ones. Cinci is a mess and has been for a while, I think he could be a franchise QB for the Vikings.
    I know the owner over there doesn't want to part with him, but if we made a fair offer(1st rounder this year?), I think it could happen.
    Of all the QB's available he'd be my first choice followed by:
    Cam Newton
    Blaine Gabbert
    Kevin Kolb
    Donovan McNabb
    Ryan Mallett

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

This may be the one case where I'd be OK giving up next year's first to grab our QB late in this year first, cuz, essentially, you're giving up a future pick but getting a year's head start on our guy's development. And, we would still have our first to get a stud who drops due to all the QBs who do go early...or, perhaps, move back and get our 3rd back, or better.

Of course, we're probably not the only ones thinking that way either...like you said, there are 8 or 9 teams that pick before us, in both rounds, that also need QBs.

I'm sure glad I'm not making the decision! To me, with my limited knowledge and lack of talking to the guys to get a feel for personalities, I've got Locker, Ponder, Mallet, Caepernick roughly equal with Dalton, Stanzi, Devlin, and McElroy not terrible drop offs for a couple rounds later.

Random thought on WAS: Shanahan did move up for Cutler.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Mike Brown (Bengals owner) is in some sort of bizarre denial... It's way past him "not being held hostage by a player"- he really thinks Carson will come around eventually or some shit.

Memo to Mike:

Get what you can for Carson, 'cause he ain't bullshittin' !

Bengals are taking a QB in this draft, imo, and I wouldn't be all that shocked to see them take MALLETT with their FOURTH PICK, unless Brown comes to his senses, (assuming a CBA @ draft time) and in that scenario, I say forget Kolb to Seattle rumors, because Palmer is going to Seattle.

Did I mention that Pete Carroll was Palmer's coach at USC? B)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast