Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

Frazier knows that vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman, offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson can evaluate mechanics. What Frazier is focused on entering his first full season as a coach, is evaluating whether any of the above players can be the Vikings' long-term answer at the most important position on the field.

"The quarterback position is unlike any other person on the team," Frazier said Sunday after arriving at the Roosevelt Hotel for the NFL meetings. "That guy, his mental is as important as his athletic ability. More important, in a lot of ways. Good athletes at quarterback don’t always become franchise quarterbacks. For us, we’re looking and hoping to find a franchise quarterback. So my time with him is as important or more important than what we see on tape."
    Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

Some very interesting quotes in here. Looks like ole Leslie likes em all.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation

Good find. I do find it a bit disheartening that the best QB in the draft wasn't even mentioned. Hopefully that is just a smoke screen.

Frazier talked extensively about the quarterback position at the breakfast. He made it clear that his desire would be to draft someone and plug him in as the starter.

“Ideally, [the goal] would be to get a young guy that could say, ‘OK, we’re going to ride with this guy. He’s our guy. He’s our [Joe] Flacco, he’s our [Mark] Sanchez, he’s our Matt Ryan,'" Frazier said. "He would step in as our starter. That would be the ideal situation. You know you’re going to go through your lumps early on but in the long term you just know you’ve got the right guy, that’s he’s just going to get better and better and better and we build around him.
    Frazier's ideal: Draft a QB and develop him

Heard Leslie on "Moving the Chains" last night on the way home. He basically said the same thing. In fact, when they asked him about his staff and the changes that were made he specifically mentioned how Musgrove and the new QB coach were brought in cause they have a knack for developing young QB's (my words).

On a side note, when asked about his role with the defense......He said that he plans on doing it the same way he did last year.......Let Pagac develop the scheme/gameplan (he will approve it) and Pagac will call all of the plays as Leslie intends to just focus on game management.

Something else he brought up, Mike was brought in to help with the LB'rs, but more importantly, he is going to act as sort of a "mentor" for Leslie when it comes to the pitfalls of being a HC.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier is not trying to be cagey about his team’s desperate need for help at quarterback.

“I can’t imagine a scenario where we wouldn’t add a quarterback [in the draft] at some point,” Frazier said Tuesday, adding that it would “ideally” come in the first two rounds.
    Leslie Frazier: Vikings could trade up for QB, will consider Kolb

Guess what, you can't get a QB with a first round pick and still get Kolb. Not unless you mortgage the bank for next years draft.

LOL. Long story short my friends, we are in the age of cost cutting in Vikings land. No way they are going to go out and get a "Expensive" QB. We saw how that worked the last two years.:laugh:

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092158
    Vikings coach Leslie Frazier is not trying to be cagey about his team’s desperate need for help at quarterback.

“I can’t imagine a scenario where we wouldn’t add a quarterback [in the draft] at some point,” Frazier said Tuesday, adding that it would “ideally” come in the first two rounds.

Guess what, you can't get a QB with a first round pick and still get Kolb. Not unless you mortgage the bank for next years draft.

LOL. Long story short my friends, we are in the age of cost cutting in Vikings land. No way they are going to go out and get a "Expensive" QB. We saw how that worked the last two years.:laugh:
    I don't see it. The CBA has restricted contract extensions for everyone. Also it's a rebuilding year, I expect them to focus on the draft more than free agency.
    So far under Wilf we have seen the coaches get whatever they want, at whatever cost. Until I see different I'm going to assume it's business as usual(minus the work stoppage and lack of contracts by the entire league).

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Why not?

Money is just money. The picks are important. Last year we had no cap, and could afford to pay Favre $20 mil. A guy like Kolb won't command that type of money, but the cost of getting a qb is a draft pick. We never spent a high draft pick on a QB in a long time.

They're saying certain teams have offered a first for Kolb.

Quick questions, where do you rank Kolb between Newton, Mallet, Ponder and Locker? (Assuming Gabbert is not an option for us)

if we can trade down for a later round pick, and get Kolb with it, rather than take a chance on a rookie we only HOPE can be better than Kolb, I think the risk is definitely minimized.

Thing is, I don't think any of the rookies this year are anything special, but we need SOMETHING to work with. Why not use the pick on a player we know can at least be decent at worst?

I think people vastly overvalue picks. In the mid-late first, the player you get has a good shot at being decent, less so that he'll be an elite player. Trading one pick for one player who has played well when given the chance should be considered. It's no different than if Kolb was allowed to declare for this years draft and we're sitting there saying "Shit, Kolb is still on the board, let's get him"

Sure, Frazier is saying having a rookie QB come in and start right away is the ideal situation. But that also makes it, for the moment, the front-running situation. Frazier is basically saying that if the Vikings can draft the guy they want, they are willing to put him out there right away to learn and develop on the job.
    Wednesday (Get ready for a rookie QB as a starter, Vikings fans)

Could have put this in one of 4 threads, however, stuck it in this one cause the quotes go with a few of the articles in this thread.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092312
    Sure, Frazier is saying having a rookie QB come in and start right away is the ideal situation. But that also makes it, for the moment, the front-running situation. Frazier is basically saying that if the Vikings can draft the guy they want, they are willing to put him out there right away to learn and develop on the job.

Could have put this in one of 4 threads, however, stuck it in this one cause the quotes go with a few of the articles in this thread.
    At this point i am fine with starting a rookie QB and seeing what happens. If we hit it right we might be able to build for the future and if we are really wrong we are just that much closer to getting luck next year.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092164

Why not?

Money is just money. The picks are important. Last year we had no cap, and could afford to pay Favre $20 mil. A guy like Kolb won't command that type of money, but the cost of getting a qb is a draft pick. We never spent a high draft pick on a QB in a long time.
    You bring up some very interesting points of discusion......

To answer your "Why Not". There are several contributing factors to that...

a. Revenue. How much money will the Wilfs have at their disposal this year as well, and most importantly, the next 2 years? Pretty hard to justify a bunch of big contracts if you don't have the right revenue stream.

b. Who has to be resigned. My biggest worry is centered around the players they are going to have to resign. If they get those deals done, how much will be left for a top QB talent?

Something else to consider, on the flip side, can they go into this season without a top level QB. What will that do to revenue streams?

The guys on "Moving the Chains" got into a very good discussion on that very topic. Both Kirwan and the Rock seem to think that the Vikes have to almost mortgage the bank to get Kolb as he seems to be the only real option out there.

Long story short, I kindof have shifted my thought process on this a bit after that discussion.

They're saying certain teams have offered a first for Kolb.
    I hope the Vikings aren't one of them. That is tampering right now.

When we can talk, I hope they put the full court press on.

Quick questions, where do you rank Kolb between Newton, Mallet, Ponder and Locker? (Assuming Gabbert is not an option for us)
    You might as well assume that Newton isn't an option either. Neither of the top two will get to twelve.

Were I rank Kolb is way ahead of rookies. Especially rookies that aren't supposed to be ready to run a team for 2 to 3 years.

if we can trade down for a later round pick, and get Kolb with it, rather than take a chance on a rookie we only HOPE can be better than Kolb, I think the risk is definitely minimized.
    First, I don't think we will be able to trade down. Based on the mocks I've run on the first round there isn't going to be anyone at 12 that teams will want to move up for.

Again, thats based on my thoughts and my mocks. Not saying it won't happen, I just don't see it happening. Dan Shonka "ourlads" was on our local radio station last night. He basically said the same thing but it was about the Cowboys moving down.

If we are going after Kolb, my guess is it will impact this year and next years draft. A 1rst this year and possibly a second (conditional) next year and another pick (3rd round) this year.

Keep in mind, the Iggles turned down two top picks last year for him. With the market as bleak as it is and the draft class as weak as it is, that might be a good starting point for the teams to start bidding but it will only be a starting point.

Thing is, I don't think any of the rookies this year are anything special, but we need SOMETHING to work with. Why not use the pick on a player we know can at least be decent at worst?
    Don't disagree. Problem is, we don't have alot of picks this year that we can waste. We need to fix other areas (that should have been fixed last year).

I think people vastly overvalue picks. In the mid-late first, the player you get has a good shot at being decent, less so that he'll be an elite player. Trading one pick for one player who has played well when given the chance should be considered. It's no different than if Kolb was allowed to declare for this years draft and we're sitting there saying "Shit, Kolb is still on the board, let's get him"
    I think people under value draft picks. Look at the problem the Deadskins are in and then look at the shape the Pats are in.

Sure, those kids aren't going to come in right away and produce, but if you make the right choices they will eventually and until they are starters they make up the predominance of your team with respect to rotations, special teams and starters if, goodness forbid, one of your starters goes down.

Again, teams can't afford to have a starter getting paid starter money starting and a backup starter sitting on the bench who is also making starter money.

What teams try to do is have a starter starting that makes starter money and a backup (rookie or vet on his last leg) making minimum wages.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092353
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092312

At this point i am fine with starting a rookie QB and seeing what happens. If we hit it right we might be able to build for the future and if we are really wrong we are just that much closer to getting luck next year.
    As I said to bleed in my previous post.......I am kindof slipping to the other side of the fence on this.

I don't think they can afford to go with a rookie this year, if they are serious about winning.

Now if they are not serious, and they elect to not resign Rice, Chad, AD, etc and go with a Rookie, then they are in the cost cutting mode I discussed below and are looking to start over and will in essence be building a team that will mature in about 2 to 3 years.

In short, about the same time they should have the stadium deal (for good or for bad) figured out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast