Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Vikings & Chiefs practice highlights

The Kansas City defense is strong.
    Tough to go up against them after only a week of camp...
    We did avoid turnovers, which will be the difference in winning and losing many games.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Glad to read that things went fairly well. My only concern was reading about McKinnie having a hard time. Even allowing for him missing the early part of camp, I'm still bothered that he has lead feet and never seems to back up all of the talk that surrounds him. We need the LT to be on top of his game to protect our QB and it's not going to help T-Jack if he's worrying about his blind side.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Have we been using any formations that include 2 TE's? It seems to me with our strength being the running and short pass game, that we could benefit from having Shank on the right side and Jimmy K on the left side along with Richardson as full back and AP switching with Taylor and Moore that we would be able to move the ball.

By having 2 TE's we could use then to both crowd the defensive ends toward the nose tackle so they can't use speed to get around McKinney and the RT and they could also alternate chipping them to assist the linemen and then release into the flat to either block on running plays or to become a safety valve for the QB.

The Redskins did this alot in the early 90's and when Denny Green became our coach he used it at least in the beginning too. If the line can't get the job done by themselves,this could be one way to protect the QB and dominate the line of scrimmage.

I understand it may not be textbook WCO or KAO but it may be what we need.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

I thought this was hilarious from the Jensen article:
    "Jackson didn't complete any long passes or scramble for any touchdowns..."
    Hmm...maybe he didn't run for any touchdowns because, as Phil Mackey noted:
    "When QBs tuck and run, the referees blow the whistle early. What's the point in letting the play continue? The defense can't touch the QB anyways."

Jackass!

Btw, the McKinnie getting beat concerns me as well. But what is strange is that Wobschall wrote:
    "Bryant McKinnie impressed on the Vikings offense, handling talented pass-rusher Jared Allen for most of the night."
    But then again, Wobschall is kind of a homer that writes for Vikings.com.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Have we been using any formations that include 2 TE's? It seems to me with our strength being the running and short pass game, that we could benefit from having Shank on the right side and Jimmy K on the left side along with Richardson as full back and AP switching with Taylor and Moore that we would be able to move the ball.

By having 2 TE's we could use then to both crowd the defensive ends toward the nose tackle so they can't use speed to get around McKinney and the RT and they could also alternate chipping them to assist the linemen and then release into the flat to either block on running plays or to become a safety valve for the QB.

The Redskins did this alot in the early 90's and when Denny Green became our coach he used it at least in the beginning too. If the line can't get the job done by themselves,this could be one way to protect the QB and dominate the line of scrimmage.

I understand it may not be textbook WCO or KAO but it may be what we need.
    I love your idea.Power on power. They will stack the box in response.We should win that battle more times than not. Might be tough on 3rd and long. But you could still put an end on that side to chip the DE
    and release ,and let Richardson pickup the blitz.Then if the blitz comes from Mckinnies side,the TE has to pick it up and stay with it.
    If I were going to screen I would want to spread the D out as much as possible to get Peterson some running room.
    If the line can improve its pass blocking, the play action should be very effective this year.
    Anyway, great post. I'm getting anxious for it all to begin.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Jackson passes his first preseason test[/size]

Quarterback makes no great plays but avoids turnovers

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 08/03/2007 11:36:27 PM CDT

MANKATO, Minn. - There weren't many highlights Friday night in Tarvaris Jackson's first preseason performance against a non-Viking defense.....

this reminds me alot of trent dilfer and the 2000 ravens. just dont mess up. I hope the results are the same also.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Good to see Tarvaris feeling comfortable out there. We have alot of came and preseason to contiue to grow, and I believe T-Jack is going to turn heads by mid-season this year. I won't say we're gonna shock the league, as we have to many variables, but as a whole our skill position guys are going to be a great surprise.
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i was there, and i definatly didn't see that.

Now, before i say what i saw, know that i am NOT a t-jack doubter, i'm excited to watch him grow this season... but..

in running drills (quarter back, o-line, and running backs only, no recievers), up against the kansas city defense, tavaris jackson went for a hand off to mewelde moore, they ran into each other in the back field resulting in a fumble so they blew the play dead

both brooks bollinger & tavaris jackson threw interceptions, 1 each, within four plays.

During one play jackson was pressured, he scrammbled to the left, and just plain dropped the ball, wasn't touched or anything, just fell right out of his hands.

there were some others, but i dont feel like going on, hopefully the preseason helps

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

oh and
    If you bought tickets to Friday night's scrimmage at Blakeslee Stadium, hopefully you weren't there to see Adrian Peterson, Chester Taylor, Troy Williamson, Aundrae Allison, Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, Antoine Winfield or Ben Leber. All eight were held out, along with WR Billy McMullen, CB Ronyell Whitaker, RB Wendell Mathis, and G Seppo Evwaraye
    pat & kevin williams and leber were all in pads & cleets, while the other mentioned players weren't, i'm pretty sure they participated in some parts of practice, the guys in shorts only did the exercises and such, nothing else

Justin Surrency, a one-year veteran and St. Paul native, continues to impress by making outstanding catches. On Friday night, Surrency made an incredible grab on a fade route down the right sideline. He leaped and made the reception over the Chiefs Michael Bragg, coming down with both feet in bounds. He also made a tight-rope catch along the Vikings sideline later in practice.
    that was an AMAZING catch

During punting practice, Chris Kluwe was absolutely destroying the ball. His final kick flew more than 60 yards from the line of scrimmage.
    his final kick went about 65 yards
    ;D he was kicking from our 15, the PR caught it INSIDE their 10 yard line. a group of guys near me were having a blast, yelling "KLUUUUUUUUUWEEEEE" anytime he touched the ball, yelling "TEAM MVP!!" any time he kicked lol. hell, a ball fell by him after a dropped pass on 11-on-11 drills near the side line, he picked it up and threw it to a ball boy, and all i could hear was "WOOOO!!! KLUWE TOUCHED THE BALL!!!" rofl, it was awesome

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    Good to see Tarvaris feeling comfortable out there. We have alot of came and preseason to contiue to grow, and I believe T-Jack is going to turn heads by mid-season this year. I won't say we're gonna shock the league, as we have to many variables, but as a whole our skill position guys are going to be a great surprise.
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i was there, and i definatly didn't see that.

Now, before i say what i saw, know that i am NOT a t-jack doubter, i'm excited to watch him grow this season... but..

in running drills (quarter back, o-line, and running backs only, no recievers), up against the kansas city defense, tavaris jackson went for a hand off to mewelde moore, they ran into each other in the back field resulting in a fumble so they blew the play dead

both brooks bollinger & tavaris jackson threw interceptions, 1 each, within four plays.

During one play jackson was pressured, he scrammbled to the left, and just plain dropped the ball, wasn't touched or anything, just fell right out of his hands.

there were some others, but i dont feel like going on, hopefully the preseason helps
    I really think the coaches need to strip down the playbook to the bare minimum number of plays that the team can execute and not introduce any new plays until they have mastered them. You can win football games by executing a few plays successfully better than you can by executing a huge number of plays poorly. I am not hearing many people who I have talked to that have been to camp saying that there is any level of comfort anywhere on the offense. Maybe they can put it together in the preseason but if not they should consider it.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

I really think the coaches need to strip down the playbook to the bare minimum number of plays that the team can execute and not introduce any new plays until they have mastered them. You can win football games by executing a few plays successfully better than you can by executing a huge number of plays poorly. I am not hearing many people who I have talked to that have been to camp saying that there is any level of comfort anywhere on the offense. Maybe they can put it together in the preseason but if not they should consider it.
    That was Lombardi's theory!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast