Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings/Browns talking Trade?

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/04/2011-nfl-draft-cleveland-browns-and_26.html

A league source close to the situation confirmed to National Football Authority that the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings have had ongoing discussions regarding Minnesota’s No. 12 pick in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

According to this source, the Browns have expressed high interest in obtaining two certain players in the first round of this year’s NFL Draft. If the Browns can draft the first player they are interested in with the No. 6 pick and the other player is still available at the No. 12 pick, the two teams plan to make the deal.

While the complete terms of the deal were not discussed; the current talks are centered around the Vikings sending their No. 12 pick in the first round to Cleveland for the Browns' 2012 first round pick and their No. 37 overall pick in the second round of the 2011 Draft.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings/Browns talking Trade?

Quote Originally Posted by "Garland Greene" #1094758
    http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/04/2011-nfl-draft-cleveland-browns-and_26.html

A league source close to the situation confirmed to National Football Authority that the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings have had ongoing discussions regarding Minnesota’s No. 12 pick in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

According to this source, the Browns have expressed high interest in obtaining two certain players in the first round of this year’s NFL Draft. If the Browns can draft the first player they are interested in with the No. 6 pick and the other player is still available at the No. 12 pick, the two teams plan to make the deal.

While the complete terms of the deal were not discussed; the current talks are centered around the Vikings sending their No. 12 pick in the first round to Cleveland for the Browns' 2012 first round pick and their No. 37 overall pick in the second round of the 2011 Draft.

With so many good players in the draft that could be available to us at 12, we WOULD do something like this.

We have an opportunity to address a number of concerns, QB, DE, possibly CB, WR. Guarantee one of the top two prospects of DE, CB or WR should be there. No, we probably would trade down, get an extra second. Browns will finish in the top half next season, we'll get a mediocre pick from them and blow both picks on guards.

Sounds about right for the Vikings.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1094760

With so many good players in the draft that could be available to us at 12, we WOULD do something like this.

We have an opportunity to address a number of concerns, QB, DE, possibly CB, WR. Guarantee one of the top two prospects of DE, CB or WR should be there. No, we probably would trade down, get an extra second. Browns will finish in the top half next season, we'll get a mediocre pick from them and blow both picks on guards.

Only if they trade out of the first then turn and blow it all to get back in with the Pats 28th pick when they get nervous inch:

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I am not sure about this one as well. As Horrible as Cleveland has been they also seem like a team that is ready to have a decent, not great season and could very well be drafting in the middle of the draft next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1094761

Only if they trade out of the first then turn and blow it all to get back in with the Pats 28th pick when they get nervous inch:
    How it will go down:

We trade our #12 to Cleveland for their #37 and a first rounder next year.

We trade our #37 and #43 to NE for #28, so we can draft a wide receiver projected as a third rounder form a Division I-AA school.

Next year, Cleveland will finish 9-7, and get the #17 pick in the draft
    We finish 9-7 and get the #16 pick in the draft

We trade up using both picks to get the #10 pick, drafting a Safety.

In total, in rounds 1 and 2 this year, and round 1 next year, we have currently three picks. We wind up picking two players, while trading back into the late part of the first round this year, wiping out our second rounders and we have no third.

That seems like a move we would make.

THEN Marty will make a post in three years comparing our reach of a Division I-AA WR to the other available receivers, and how it wasn't "that bad" since the rest of the class is trash.

That seems like something we'd do.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

We need to rebuild. This is like getting a 2nd rounder for free. It is the browns after all, most likely they will be starting a rookie Qb. I doubt they pick higher than 12th. Could easily be a top 5 pick, imho.

Yes it would suck in the short term, but in the long term it seems to be a smart move. There will be talented players in next years draft as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1094767

We need to rebuild. This is like getting a 2nd rounder for free. It is the browns after all, most likely they will be starting a rookie Qb. I doubt they pick higher than 12th. Could easily be a top 5 pick, imho.
    I doubt all of that.

I bet they roll with McCoy next season, who had a pretty decent year last year, DESPITE being a Brown.

I highly doubt the Browns are picking top five next year. In fact, mark it down, Browns will be outside of the top 10, guaranteed.

Yes it would suck in the short term, but in the long term it seems to be a smart move. There will be talented players in next years draft as well.
    I wouldn't be putting all our eggs in the Browns basket. They're a team I could see doing fairly well next season.

By trading out of the first, we miss out on getting a stud player. The ONLY good thing about this trade, is we will suck hard this year. Getting ourselves a top-5 pick. HOPEFULLY, the Browns will be the Browns and also suck hard, giving us two picks in the top-10. We then work a trade to get Luck.

This is all a BEST case scenario of course.

One thing we didn't consider though, is Luck is last years Locker. Locker was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread last year, then he went back for an extra year. Now his stock has slipped, people think he's not even a first round talent. What's to say the same won't happen with Luck?

Another thing to consider, we need fan support and we need support NOW to get a stadium deal. Drafting a QB or getting SOME form of great prospect player shows we're making steps. Trading out of the first for basically nothing doesn't help this matter at all.

Yes, we're rebuilding, but rebuilding teams need key components, and we're not getting any of them.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1094764
    Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1094761

How it will go down:

We trade our #12 to Cleveland for their #37 and a first rounder next year.

We trade our #37 and #43 to NE for #28, so we can draft a wide receiver projected as a third rounder form a Division I-AA school.

Next year, Cleveland will finish 9-7, and get the #17 pick in the draft
    We finish 9-7 and get the #16 pick in the draft

We trade up using both picks to get the #10 pick, drafting a Safety.

In total, in rounds 1 and 2 this year, and round 1 next year, we have currently three picks. We wind up picking two players, while trading back into the late part of the first round this year, wiping out our second rounders and we have no third.

That seems like a move we would make.

THEN Marty will make a post in three years comparing our reach of a Division I-AA WR to the other available receivers, and how it wasn't "that bad" since the rest of the class is trash.

That seems like something we'd do.
    Or we package Clevelands mediocre pick with our high pick next year to move up and draft Andrew Luck
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1094767

I don't think it would be a dumb move either. Realistically we aren't going anywhere big this year anyways and we might have a better idea next year of our core needs, especially after seeing how Frazier's team/scheme plays out for a season.

Two high 2nd round picks this year isn't so bad, and one, as mentioned is practically free. If there ends up not being a 2011 season then this potential trade would benefit us even more. meanwhile Cleveland will have two first round rookies who haven't played football in over a year and we'd have two first round rookies fresh out of college.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

As much as it would suck to not pick in the first round in back to back years, this would be smarter for us in the long-run. Next year we could package both these picks for the number one or two pick overall and a second or third and draft the top QB prospect.

I was thinking the same thing about Luck falling like Locker, but if he does, there is bound to be a blue chip prospect next year whether it is Luck or some other guy. I would much rather roll with one of them than with some 2nd tier QB we "hope" falls to us this year.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast