Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Vikings: Booty feels growing pains in introduction to pro ball

[b][u][size=13pt]Vikings: Booty feels growing pains in introduction to pro ball

The USC product could become the No. 3 QB but has shown he has a lot to learn.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune
    Last update: August 20, 2008 - 11:07 PM

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings: Booty feels growing pains in introduction to pro ball

Thanks for the read my friend.

The offense run by Southern Cal coach Pete Carroll might have an NFL look and feel -- but as John David Booty learned Saturday, there is a significant difference between being in a pro-style offense and running that offense in the pros.
    As did alot of fans.
    ;D

Truth be told, very few QB's can come in and be successfull at the next level.
    All of them, especially kids from 1-AA need a bit of time to mature.

Long story short, JDB will be fine as the staff develops him in the traditional manner instead of throwing him to the wolves as they did with TJ.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

I dont know Mardro, ive seen a few raw rookie QBs do alot better in their first preseason game then Booty. He was beyond terrible, 3rd string team or not. To me it looked like he didnt care or wasnt trying.

"CCthebest" wrote:
    I dont know Mardro, ive seen a few raw rookie QBs do alot better in their first preseason game then Booty. He was beyond terrible, 3rd string team or not. To me it looked like he didnt care or wasnt trying.
    I hear ya my friend but I think you really have to look at the situation.

a.
    We have a team that is really focused on getting thier young starter ready.
    That equates to most of the reps.

b.
    We have a team with a new Vet backup.
    That equates to most of whats left over.

c.
    We have a team that has to make a decision (I think its already made) with respect to our 3rd option (5th round pick or a never was).
    They split the sweep up reps.

Long story short, I just don't see him getting the reps needed to ramp him up to what we as fans expect to see.
    Heck, to tell the truth I'm amazed they've got TJ to the level he is at this point even with all the extra reps he gets.

Again, JDB will be fine.
    Nothing is expected of him other than to keep his eyes open and learn as much as he can over the next couple of years.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler

Bottom line, he sucks! Where are all the Booty sniffers at now.

ALL DAY!!!

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Like the Italians say "Good Food Takes Time To Prepare", so does developing a NFL QB. I think our current situation at QB is a far cry better than the last couple years.

When Booty and Bollinger get in, like Marrdro says, "They only get clean-up snaps", and they are playing with third and fourth string guys... sometimes it's amazing they even get the play off, let alone execute it at a high level. Let the kid shake some of that green off, and in a couple years we'll see how far he's come and if he is ready.

"PurplePowerPunch" wrote:
    Bottom line, he sucks! Where are all the Booty sniffers at now.
    LOL, go easy on em my friend.
    ;D

They ultimately believed he was good for the team.
    In the long run I hope they are right and he gives us a viable option at backup if needed for years to come as we are seeing with Sorgi in Indy.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

My favorite was the look on his face after his third offensive series in the first preseason game as he went to the sidelines.
    He was thinking...wtf? I know I am better than this.
    I get that same feeling when what is going on in my mind is different than what happens in reality.
    I got a for sure double in softball and was running to second and was thrown out by about 15'......what I envisioned in my mind wasn't reality, guess that happens when you're twice as old as many on the team.
    Anyway, of course he's having problems, it's the NFL and he's a rookie QB.
    You have to have a few reality checks and then see if you have what it takes inside of you to perform at the next level.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

dfosterf is offline Coach

(Rummage about the basement, move the skiis, baseball gloves, old clothes, etc.
    AHA.
    Finds Crab Pot, brings upstairs and places on the big burner, turning it on HIGH)

Oh, GAGARR, WHERE ARE YOU?

Only fair to do, since I waded through (count 'em) SIXTY TWO PAGES of man-love for Booty.

(Sometimes you guys just make it too easy.
    ;D)

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    I hear ya my friend but I think you really have to look at the situation.

a.
    We have a team that is really focused on getting thier young starter ready.
    That equates to most of the reps.

b.
    We have a team with a new Vet backup.
    That equates to most of whats left over.

c.
    We have a team that has to make a decision (I think its already made) with respect to our 3rd option (5th round pick or a never was).

Long story short, I just don't see him getting the reps needed to ramp him up to what we as fans expect to see.
    Heck, to tell the truth I'm amazed they've got TJ to the level he is at this point even with all the extra reps he gets.

Again, JDB will be fine.
    Nothing is expected of him other than to keep his eyes open and learn as much as he can over the next couple of years.
    Then explain why Colt Brennan did so well?

They have
    a.
    a young team focused on getting their young starter ready (jason campbell) = most of the reps

b. team with a not new, but still capable vet backup, meaning pleanty of reps fo him, especially considering Campbell is just coming off a bad knee injury

c.
    They have a team that has to make a decision (I think its already made) with respect to their 3rd option (6th round pick or a never was).

Your excuses give absolutely no reason why Booty shouldn't be able to play somewhat decently against 3rd stringers, the only possible explanation is that d. He's just not that good, and may have been the wrong pick.

say what you will, but there's no getting around it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast