Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    952

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by "RoneG" #1088625
    Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1088608
    Quote Originally Posted by "RoneG" #1088583
    There are reports that the Vikings and Dolphins are very high on Colin Kaepernick. He's impressing people at Senior Bowl practice.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/27/colin-kaepernick-may-be-making-cutler-like-climb/
    Well i heard that some scouts also wasnt impressed.. He is a running type QB that is very raw, for the "position" we already have Joe Webb, so i really doubt that we are high in Kaepernick, but he does have upside..

    For starting day 1 there arent many QB's other than Jake Locker who fits that description, maybe Ricky Stanzy, but then we are taking if he has the talent to become a starter in this league..


    Yeah, his slow release has scared some scouts.

    I am actually hearing that Kaepernick is far outshining the other QB's at the SR Bowl with his accuracy and velocity of the ball. Locker on the other hand has been less than impressive. Many scouts are quite divided on this years class. We may be better off in taking a DL or OL prospect and see what we can get for a bargain in round 2.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    952

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1088521
    Wow, a football thread. I had to go back two pages to find one........:lol:

    JK, I was mildly suprised to see that both Kiper and his young understudy McShay, had us passing on a first rounder and taking a OT in the first round.

    Could it be that they (the stuff) are looking hard at the seniors to see which one (I think we will see them bring in two rookies) they will draft in the second?

    A site I like has Gabbert and Newton as top 15 1rst rounders, Locker and Mallet as late first, early second rounders.

    QB Projections

    Looks to me like this is a pretty weak class with only 12 projected as draftable.

    One of the guys I work with is pretty high on the TCU kid (Dalton). Anyone know anything about him?
    Marrdro
    I have been following Dalton a bit. Scouts are generally saying he is a good reader of defenses and is accurate with the ball he has good size (6'3" 220 LBS), velocity is biggest question hanging out there on him.

    I think as we get to the combine and get to see him throw for the scouts more we will all get a better understanding of his skillset and how it projects to the NFL.

  3. #13
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    2011 Senior Bowl game winners

    Christian Ponder | QB | Florida State
    Of the six quarterbacks in this game, none played better than Ponder. Hew as accurate, especially going over the middle. But his pocket presence was far and away better than any signal caller today. Ponder was named the game's MVP.


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  4. #14
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1088541
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1088521
    Wow, a football thread. I had to go back two pages to find one........:lol:

    JK, I was mildly suprised to see that both Kiper and his young understudy McShay, had us passing on a first rounder and taking a OT in the first round.

    Could it be that they (the stuff) are looking hard at the seniors to see which one (I think we will see them bring in two rookies) they will draft in the second?

    A site I like has Gabbert and Newton as top 15 1rst rounders, Locker and Mallet as late first, early second rounders.

    QB Projections

    Looks to me like this is a pretty weak class with only 12 projected as draftable.

    One of the guys I work with is pretty high on the TCU kid (Dalton). Anyone know anything about him?
    Uh .... 12 is pretty standard for a draft of QBs. For all the BS about this being a weak QB draft class, it really is no different than any others. There have been no more than 13 QBs taken since 2005 and even then it was just 14. This list projects that there could be as few as 12 and as many as 16.

    Sure ... Luck bailed and there is no stud at the top, but calling the class weak is just inaccurate. It really does not appear any weaker or stronger than the last few classes.

    There are more possible first rounders in this draft (4) than any since 2004 (also 4).
    Good stuff Midg.

    I think that what differs from this year and those years isn't the quantity but the quality vs how many teams really really really need QBs that should/would take them if there were "Franchise" worthy QBs available.

    Truth of the matter is, leading up to the Senior bowl alot of the draftnicks had this as a strong QB class. Since then, you are hard pressed to find a mock draft of reputation that has more than 3 going in the first round now.

    Again, when you look at the need, instead of history, that is a bad number.

    My worst fear is that we go ahead and draft a QB at 12, not because he is worth taking, but because the FO pukes are drafting to make fans happy.

    Based on some decisions made last year, that appears to be what the staff is doing.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #15
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1088628
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1088521
    Wow, a football thread. I had to go back two pages to find one........:lol:

    JK, I was mildly surprised to see that both Kiper and his young understudy McShay, had us passing on a first rounder and taking a OT in the first round.

    Could it be that they (the stuff) are looking hard at the seniors to see which one (I think we will see them bring in two rookies) they will draft in the second?

    A site I like has Gabbert and Newton as top 15 1rst rounders, Locker and Mallet as late first, early second rounders.

    QB Projections

    Looks to me like this is a pretty weak class with only 12 projected as draftable.

    One of the guys I work with is pretty high on the TCU kid (Dalton). Anyone know anything about him?
    Marrdro
    I have been following Dalton a bit. Scouts are generally saying he is a good reader of defenses and is accurate with the ball he has good size (6'3" 220 LBS), velocity is biggest question hanging out there on him.

    I think as we get to the combine and get to see him throw for the scouts more we will all get a better understanding of his skillset and how it projects to the NFL.
    Thanks Slav.

    Again, I haven't had time to look at any of the kids coming out this year. I have had the opportunity to talk with fans of a few that I want to look at of which, Dalton is one.

    Some things that I'm considering when I look at these cats is what will Musgrave run when it comes to offensive scheme. From what I can see of him (based on his past) he will run the same WCO scheme we currently run with maybe a bigger emphasis on more running if Leslie gets his way.

    What that means.....We will be looking for the following:

    a. Quick release.
    b. Able to move in and out of the pocket (doesn't mean he is a Vick type runner).
    c. Must be able to make all the throws, especially the short and intermediate stuff.
    d. Must be big as he will take a pounding based on this scheme.

    Colin Kaepernick
    Strengths:
    Excellent size with prototypical height and good bulk
    Outstanding natural athleticism, speed and agility
    Extremely strong arm and can make all of the throws
    Elusive and a dangerous threat to make plays with feet
    Escapes pocket pressure and makes throws on the run
    Is competitive and a leader with a fantastic work ethic
    Super productive and has a ton of playing experience
    Might also be able to play another position in pros

    Weaknesses:
    Will have to refine footwork and throwing mechanics
    Too eager to give up on a pass and take off running
    Touch, timing and accuracy are all merely average
    Takes chances and not always a great decision maker
    Didn't work under center or go through progressions
    Ricky Stanzi
    Strengths:
    Possesses ideal height and bulk with a large frame
    Above average athleticism with pretty good mobility
    Arm is strong enough to make all the necessary throws
    Outstanding throwing mechanics and a great delivery
    Able to buy time in pocket and make plays with feet
    Can work under center and go through progressions
    Tough and will stand tall in the pocket under duress
    Intelligent student of the game with good football IQ
    Mature and hard working w/ terrific leadership skills
    A lot of experience against top-notch competition

    Weaknesses:
    Will force throws and make poor decisions at times
    Does not handle pressure very well and will panic
    Inconsistent in areas of touch, timing and accuracy
    Struggles the further down the field he has to go
    Often failed to come through in clutch situations
    Some minor durability and off-the-field concerns
    Andy Dalton
    Strengths:
    Very good bulk with a sturdy frame
    Adequate arm strength to make all throws
    Accurate with terrific touch and timing
    Extremely smart with a great football IQ
    Sound decision maker and cautious with ball
    Mobile enough to extend plays with feet
    Tough and durable with a ton of experience
    Outstanding leader with a superb work ethic
    Is confident, super competitive and a winner

    Weaknesses:
    Shorter than you would prefer
    Is not a great athlete
    Delivery / Mechanics need tweaking
    Will have to polish up footwork
    Tendency to bird-dog targets
    Struggles to throw on the run
    Must adjust to a pro style system
    2011 NFL Draft | Quarterback Rankings
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1088544
    I think Locker and Mallett will be in that area on draftday, Gabbert will be the first QB taken somewhere in the 5-10th pick and Cam Newton will drop to the late first round, remember the Raiders have no first round pick.

    1A Gabbert
    1B Mallett
    1B Locker
    1C Newton

    My take is that the teams in the NFL has learned from the past, seeing guys like Vince Young not be worthy of their early first round pick, being a good college QB and a good prostyle QB is two very different things. Newton has upside, huge upside - but he has never taken a snap under center and he has problems with the whole recruting thing, same goes with his time at Florida, where he was dismissed.

    To me its just to big a gamble and i think he will drop to the 20th+

    I think Devlin might go somewhere in the second round as the fift QB taken.
    I've actually seen a couple with Newton first, but I think that is mostly related to his latest workout.

    My guess, he will go in the top 8 or so with Gabbert going first. Everyone else ahead of us will pass on a QB early and try to get something of equal value in the 2nd and/or 3rd as there won't be any others worth taking until late in the first.

    My guess......

    5. Cards, Gabbert
    7. 49'rs, Newton
    8. Titans, Locker
    10. Deadskins. Not sure what happens here. Even if they do take something other than a QB, I don't like anyone after these 3 and I'm not so sure I even like those three.

    I'm hoping the Vikes go with Pouncey at C or a Paea at DT. Rationale behind that is:

    a. If we are gonna run more (and get away from the ZB scheme) Sully isn't big enough. Pouncey would be an instant starter/upgrade but might be a bit high to take a C at 12.
    b. We still don't have a big DT to take reps for the 0 technique. Add to that the fact that K-dubb is gonna be gone for a stint this year cause he got caught juicing and we have a big whole at DT (STILL).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089393
    Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1088544
    I think Locker and Mallett will be in that area on draftday, Gabbert will be the first QB taken somewhere in the 5-10th pick and Cam Newton will drop to the late first round, remember the Raiders have no first round pick.

    1A Gabbert
    1B Mallett
    1B Locker
    1C Newton

    My take is that the teams in the NFL has learned from the past, seeing guys like Vince Young not be worthy of their early first round pick, being a good college QB and a good prostyle QB is two very different things. Newton has upside, huge upside - but he has never taken a snap under center and he has problems with the whole recruting thing, same goes with his time at Florida, where he was dismissed.

    To me its just to big a gamble and i think he will drop to the 20th+

    I think Devlin might go somewhere in the second round as the fift QB taken.
    I've actually seen a couple with Newton first, but I think that is mostly related to his latest workout.

    My guess, he will go in the top 8 or so with Gabbert going first. Everyone else ahead of us will pass on a QB early and try to get something of equal value in the 2nd and/or 3rd as there won't be any others worth taking until late in the first.

    My guess......

    5. Cards, Gabbert
    7. 49'rs, Newton
    8. Titans, Locker
    10. Deadskins. Not sure what happens here. Even if they do take something other than a QB, I don't like anyone after these 3 and I'm not so sure I even like those three.

    I'm hoping the Vikes go with Pouncey at C or a Paea at DT. Rationale behind that is:

    a. If we are gonna run more (and get away from the ZB scheme) Sully isn't big enough. Pouncey would be an instant starter/upgrade but might be a bit high to take a C at 12.
    b. We still don't have a big DT to take reps for the 0 technique. Add to that the fact that K-dubb is gonna be gone for a stint this year cause he got caught juicing and we have a big whole at DT (STILL).
    Pouncey is not rated as high as his brother and he only moved to center this year after playing guard alongside his brother. To me both would be big reaches at 12.


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  8. #18
    dfosterf's Avatar
    dfosterf is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    987

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    If you wanted Pouncey you could trade back, imo

  9. #19
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1089420
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089393
    Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1088544
    I think Locker and Mallett will be in that area on draftday, Gabbert will be the first QB taken somewhere in the 5-10th pick and Cam Newton will drop to the late first round, remember the Raiders have no first round pick.

    1A Gabbert
    1B Mallett
    1B Locker
    1C Newton

    My take is that the teams in the NFL has learned from the past, seeing guys like Vince Young not be worthy of their early first round pick, being a good college QB and a good prostyle QB is two very different things. Newton has upside, huge upside - but he has never taken a snap under center and he has problems with the whole recruting thing, same goes with his time at Florida, where he was dismissed.

    To me its just to big a gamble and i think he will drop to the 20th+

    I think Devlin might go somewhere in the second round as the fift QB taken.
    I've actually seen a couple with Newton first, but I think that is mostly related to his latest workout.

    My guess, he will go in the top 8 or so with Gabbert going first. Everyone else ahead of us will pass on a QB early and try to get something of equal value in the 2nd and/or 3rd as there won't be any others worth taking until late in the first.

    My guess......

    5. Cards, Gabbert
    7. 49'rs, Newton
    8. Titans, Locker
    10. Deadskins. Not sure what happens here. Even if they do take something other than a QB, I don't like anyone after these 3 and I'm not so sure I even like those three.

    I'm hoping the Vikes go with Pouncey at C or a Paea at DT. Rationale behind that is:

    a. If we are gonna run more (and get away from the ZB scheme) Sully isn't big enough. Pouncey would be an instant starter/upgrade but might be a bit high to take a C at 12.
    b. We still don't have a big DT to take reps for the 0 technique. Add to that the fact that K-dubb is gonna be gone for a stint this year cause he got caught juicing and we have a big whole at DT (STILL).
    Pouncey is not rated as high as his brother and he only moved to center this year after playing guard alongside his brother. To me both would be big reaches at 12.
    I'm not sure were he is slated, however, right now he is the number 1 rated C and top rated G.

    If I was gonna upgrade the OL this year I would take him at 12 and a T in the second.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #20
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings attend Senior Bowl in search of QBs

    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089421
    If you wanted Pouncey you could trade back, imo
    Trade back for the number 1 C and number 1 rated G? My guess, he goes 10-15.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who did you like in the Senior Bowl Game for the Vikes to take?
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 08:43 AM
  2. Vikings have talked to following players at the senior bowl
    By skum in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 02:54 PM
  3. Senior Bowl Info Site....
    By DEEP PURPLE in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 07:58 PM
  4. Senior Bowl Thread!
    By snowinapril in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 11:10 PM
  5. Senior Bowl 2006
    By vikesoto in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2006, 03:45 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •