Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings 7th round pick Mickey Shuler

Analysis
    Release: Not elite getting out of his stance, whether at H-back or in-line positions. One-speed runner who can challenge linebackers down the seam and get down the sideline if allowed to run free. Strong player with hands to get free from jam from SAM linebackers.

Hands: Solid receiver when ball is in his frame, most times catching the ball away from his frame even when facing the passer. Strong enough to win jump balls and make tough catches in traffic. Inconsistent adjusting to poor throws, however. Tracks ball over either shoulder.

Route running: Finds holes between and underneath linebackers. Mostly runs simple patterns as safety valve. Needs more experience running tighter patterns, but has the footwork and athletic to sink his hips, plant and drive off his foot.

After the catch: Not elusive after the catch but has enough straight-line speed to do more than move the chains. Runs tough, carries defensive backs and runs through arm tackles.

Blocking: One of the better blockers in this class. Strong edge blocker, seals off larger defensive ends by getting his hands inside and anchoring. Explodes into linebackers; moves feet to sustain until the play is away, and sometimes longer. Good flexibility to adjust to oncoming defenders, effective as moving tight end coming off the edge or eliminating backside chasers.

Intangibles: Durable, reliable performer with workmanlike attitude. Graduated in December with kinesiology degree. Good bloodlines with father a long-time NFL tight end
    CBS Player Profile - Shuler
    What? No love for Mickey? Cat needs his own thread.

I can see this guy eventually filling in as a Dugan type player to start with, who can eventually become a damn good 2nd TE in this scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings 7th round pick Mickey Shuler

Agreed. Probably spells the end for someone like Dugan and/or Mills. Hell, maybe even Tahi if he can line up as HB.

ejmat wrote:
    Agreed. Probably spells the end for someone like Dugan and/or Mills. Hell, maybe even Tahi if he can line up as HB.
    I thought Mills was already gone. What they brought him in for, other than to irritate Bellicheat, is beyond me.

As to Tahi, lets keep all those discussions in the Tahi thread. Its only up to 26 pages or so. If I'm gonna get it past the Noodle thread, we can't be talking about him in other threads.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    I thought Mills was already gone. What they brought him in for, other than to irritate Bellicheat, is beyond me.

As to Tahi, lets keep all those discussions in the Tahi thread. Its only up to 26 pages or so. If I'm gonna get it past the Noodle thread, we can't be talking about him in other threads.
    Sorry Marrdro. Didn't mean to bring up Tahi in a differet threadd. I mean you're only about 1200 pages or so less than the Favre thread. My one post would have made it that much closer :silly:

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re:Vikings 7th round pick Mickey Shuler

This is by far the most boring pick in my opinion. Just another blocking tight end, he will never see playing time with Kleinsasser and Jeff Dugan on the roster. They are excellent run blockers. And let's not forget Shiancoe. I don't really get this pick, but perhaps the Vikings staff see starter potential in him.

On the other hand, he's a seven round pick so I don't really care, but I noticed that perhaps the two most impressive workout warriors, Dorin Dickerson and Jameson Konz, were still on the board. Would much rather have another Joe Webb with ton of potentials to play various positions, than another blocking TE. I also noticed that Senior Bowl's most impressive QB, Zach Robinson, was also on the board. I was crossing my fingers that the Vikings would pick him in the last couple of rounds.

Re:Vikings 7th round pick Mickey Shuler

HEY wrote:
    This is by far the most boring pick in my opinion. Just another blocking tight end, he will never see playing time with Kleinsasser and Jeff Dugan on the roster. They are excellent run blockers. And let's not forget Shiancoe. I don't really get this pick, but perhaps the Vikings staff see starter potential in him.

On the other hand, he's a seven round pick so I don't really care, but I noticed that perhaps the two most impressive workout warriors, Dorin Dickerson and Jameson Konz, were still on the board. Would much rather have another Joe Webb with ton of potentials to play various positions, than another blocking TE. I also noticed that Senior Bowl's most impressive QB, Zach Robinson, was also on the board. I was crossing my fingers that the Vikings would pick him in the last couple of rounds.
    I hear ya my friend, but you need to look a bit further down the road with what this staff is trying to do with picks.

Now that we are in pretty good shape, we aren't picking them to start right now. We are picking them to be eventual replacements for current starters.

Having said that, and looking at the big picture, who is he gonna replace....

a. Sauce 2/27/2009: Signed a three-year, $9 million contract.
    b. Dugan 12/13/2006: Signed a five-year, $4.35 million contract extension through 2011.

Looks to me like Dugan could be given his walking papers after this year and a cat like Shuler, after learning from the bench for a year, would come in and fill that roster spot.

ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:

Sorry Marrdro. Didn't mean to bring up Tahi in a differet threadd. I mean you're only about 1200 pages or so less than the Favre thread. My one post would have made it that much closer :silly:
    No worries. In the mean time, you owe me a post in the Tahi thread.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

interesting read

Maybe the FO deserves a little more credit for the Shuler pick?

Shuler may be a better pass catcher than he has been given credit for. I took a look at his measurables and compared to the combine results over the last 6 years and he compares very favorably to the better pass catchers that have come out in that time period.

Quick comparisons:

Broad Jump 10'9" 1st over 6 years
    Vertical 37.5 8th over 6 years
    Bench 28 4th over 6 years
    3-Cone 6.7 1st over 6 years
    60-yard Shut 11.19 1st this year (didn't have history)
    20-yard Shut -----Top 20%----touch faster than Shiancoe
    40-yard Dash -----Top 20%----same as Shiancoe

Guys with Shuler's measurables are actually quite rare and usually wind up as pretty good pass catchers:

Over the last 6 years these guys standout as the elite TEs with respect to measurables size/speed/explosion etc. that hint at success as a Recieving TE.

Vernon Davis
    Mickey Shuler
    Jimmy Graham<<<<2010 draftee
    Visanthe Shiancoe<<<Added for reference
    Tony Scheffler
    Greg Olsen
    Owen Daniels

What's really impressive is that none of the others guys listed are known as good blocking TEs while Shuler brings a reputation as one of the best blocking TEs in the college game.

There are very few TEs with a complete game, Run block/Pass Block/Catch, Shuler might just turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

This pick may be another one of those that adds to the FOs reputation in the end.
    None

bsmithberkley wrote:
    interesting read

Shuler may be a better pass catcher than he has been given credit for. I took a look at his measurables and compared to the combine results over the last 6 years and he compares very favorably to the better pass catchers that have come out in that time period.

Quick comparisons:

Guys with Shuler's measurables are actually quite rare and usually wind up as pretty good pass catchers:

Over the last 6 years these guys standout as the elite TEs with respect to measurables size/speed/explosion etc. that hint at success as a Recieving TE.

Vernon Davis
    Mickey Shuler
    Tony Scheffler
    Greg Olsen
    Owen Daniels

What's really impressive is that none of the others guys listed are known as good blocking TEs while Shuler brings a reputation as one of the best blocking TEs in the college game.

There are very few TEs with a complete game, Run block/Pass Block/Catch, Shuler might just turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

This pick may be another one of those that adds to the FOs reputation in the end.
    Thanks for the read. Though I agree that Schuler could be a diamond in the ruff so to speak these statistics don't really have anything to do with pass catching abilities. They show his athleticism but unfortunately that doesn't always lead to catching passes. I hope he becomes productive but I'm pretty certain that he was drafted more for his blocking abilities. If he becomes a threat out of the backfield that would just be a plus.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

ejmat wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    interesting read

Quick comparisons:

Vernon Davis
    Mickey Shuler
    Tony Scheffler
    Greg Olsen
    Owen Daniels

Thanks for the read. Though I agree that Schuler could be a diamond in the ruff so to speak these statistics don't really have anything to do with pass catching abilities. They show his athleticism but unfortunately that doesn't always lead to catching passes. I hope he becomes productive but I'm pretty certain that he was drafted more for his blocking abilities. If he becomes a threat out of the backfield that would just be a plus.
    I always thought that the Extreme Athletes (Size+Mobility) at WR and TE had real advantages as pass catchers. Mostly due to match-up problems when they get matched up with smaller and/or slower players. Still gotta have the hands, but, it really helps to have the atheletic ability and range to "go get the ball" IMHO.
    None

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast