Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Overview
    One of the few former walk-ons to receive an invitation to this year's combine, Triplett's career as a Gopher slowly built until he was given the chance to start every game as a senior. He took full advantage, making 105 tackles, five for loss, two interceptions and five pass breakups.

    Triplett played in only one game (five plays in the regular-season finale against Iowa) in his redshirt freshman season. In 2007, he was named the team's best special teams player, making nine stops, then earned more playing time as a junior (31 tackles, one start in 13 games).

    He's a hard-working, strong linebacker with a chance to be a solid reserve strong-side presence as a run-stopper and in pass coverage.

    Analysis
    Positives: Versatile linebacker who could play inside in the 3-4 or SAM in the 4-3. Instinctual, and a better athlete than expected. Tough vs. the run; stacks and sheds, also runs through trash inside to make plays. Solid tackler who wraps in space and doesn't let go. Good in coverage, as well, getting to running backs and tight ends. Will contribute on special teams because of his aggressive nature.

    Negatives: Not great at any one thing; not ultra-strong, an elite athlete or speedster. A bit stiff in the hips; NFL tight ends and backs will run by him and out-quick him in space if matched up one-on-one. Needs to work on maintaining knee bend when dropping or else he'll lose targets in coverage.
    CBS Player Profile - Triplett
    Even though he is a Golden Gopher, I can honestly say I had never heard of this kid until yesterday, but I am already a fan favorite.

    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    It is a wonderful time of year isn't it. From now thru the training camp all the rookies are potential pro bowlers, or at least guaranteed a roster spot. Then comes roster cuts.
    You bring up a good point and one that bares watching. How will these rooks be treated with respect to roster spots vs marginal vets.

    My guess, the staff is in a place now were they aren't going to go out and draft a kid if they don't think he is worth the effort when it comes to working him into things over a 2 or 3 year span if that is what it takes.

    The backside of that is, we will see some of the older Vets let loose before most of us fans expect them to.

    I can't remember what number I came up with on my roster analysis, but I bet there are one or two Rooks on this roster that will get a roster spot currently held by a Vet most of us don't expect to see let loose, i.e. Farwell, the others will fill the vacant spots I highlighted in my analysis.
    I think that is the way of the league nowadays. Use a few roster spots for cheap rookies instead of a veteran that may have more ability, but is not a standout. More money can then be used in other ways. i do not recall that being the case back in the day, but as a kid you do not pay much attention to peripheral team business. All you care about is seeing your favorite players and wins.
    Don't take this the wrong way, in fact, take it as a compliment......

    How old are you? For some reason I have you as a 40 year old in my pea brain based on your posting prowess. :huh:
    50 this Dec.
    although if you asked my wife of 26 yrs, she may say I act like a kid. As will many of our friends.
    My body, on the other hand will tell you it is time for me to go out to pasture.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  2. #12
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Overview
    One of the few former walk-ons to receive an invitation to this year's combine, Triplett's career as a Gopher slowly built until he was given the chance to start every game as a senior. He took full advantage, making 105 tackles, five for loss, two interceptions and five pass breakups.

    Triplett played in only one game (five plays in the regular-season finale against Iowa) in his redshirt freshman season. In 2007, he was named the team's best special teams player, making nine stops, then earned more playing time as a junior (31 tackles, one start in 13 games).

    He's a hard-working, strong linebacker with a chance to be a solid reserve strong-side presence as a run-stopper and in pass coverage.

    Analysis
    Positives: Versatile linebacker who could play inside in the 3-4 or SAM in the 4-3. Instinctual, and a better athlete than expected. Tough vs. the run; stacks and sheds, also runs through trash inside to make plays. Solid tackler who wraps in space and doesn't let go. Good in coverage, as well, getting to running backs and tight ends. Will contribute on special teams because of his aggressive nature.

    Negatives: Not great at any one thing; not ultra-strong, an elite athlete or speedster. A bit stiff in the hips; NFL tight ends and backs will run by him and out-quick him in space if matched up one-on-one. Needs to work on maintaining knee bend when dropping or else he'll lose targets in coverage.
    CBS Player Profile - Triplett
    Even though he is a Golden Gopher, I can honestly say I had never heard of this kid until yesterday, but I am already a fan favorite.

    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    It is a wonderful time of year isn't it. From now thru the training camp all the rookies are potential pro bowlers, or at least guaranteed a roster spot. Then comes roster cuts.
    You bring up a good point and one that bares watching. How will these rooks be treated with respect to roster spots vs marginal vets.

    My guess, the staff is in a place now were they aren't going to go out and draft a kid if they don't think he is worth the effort when it comes to working him into things over a 2 or 3 year span if that is what it takes.

    The backside of that is, we will see some of the older Vets let loose before most of us fans expect them to.

    I can't remember what number I came up with on my roster analysis, but I bet there are one or two Rooks on this roster that will get a roster spot currently held by a Vet most of us don't expect to see let loose, i.e. Farwell, the others will fill the vacant spots I highlighted in my analysis.
    I think that is the way of the league nowadays. Use a few roster spots for cheap rookies instead of a veteran that may have more ability, but is not a standout. More money can then be used in other ways. i do not recall that being the case back in the day, but as a kid you do not pay much attention to peripheral team business. All you care about is seeing your favorite players and wins.
    Don't take this the wrong way, in fact, take it as a compliment......

    How old are you? For some reason I have you as a 40 year old in my pea brain based on your posting prowess. :huh:
    50 this Dec.
    although if you asked my wife of 26 yrs, she may say I act like a kid. As will many of our friends.
    My body, on the other hand will tell you it is time for me to go out to pasture.
    Roger. 49 and feel the same way. Your comment....

    but as a kid you do not pay much attention to peripheral team business
    Confused me a bit. I for some reason thought you were saying you were a kid.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #13
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Overview
    One of the few former walk-ons to receive an invitation to this year's combine, Triplett's career as a Gopher slowly built until he was given the chance to start every game as a senior. He took full advantage, making 105 tackles, five for loss, two interceptions and five pass breakups.

    Triplett played in only one game (five plays in the regular-season finale against Iowa) in his redshirt freshman season. In 2007, he was named the team's best special teams player, making nine stops, then earned more playing time as a junior (31 tackles, one start in 13 games).

    He's a hard-working, strong linebacker with a chance to be a solid reserve strong-side presence as a run-stopper and in pass coverage.

    Analysis
    Positives: Versatile linebacker who could play inside in the 3-4 or SAM in the 4-3. Instinctual, and a better athlete than expected. Tough vs. the run; stacks and sheds, also runs through trash inside to make plays. Solid tackler who wraps in space and doesn't let go. Good in coverage, as well, getting to running backs and tight ends. Will contribute on special teams because of his aggressive nature.

    Negatives: Not great at any one thing; not ultra-strong, an elite athlete or speedster. A bit stiff in the hips; NFL tight ends and backs will run by him and out-quick him in space if matched up one-on-one. Needs to work on maintaining knee bend when dropping or else he'll lose targets in coverage.
    CBS Player Profile - Triplett
    Even though he is a Golden Gopher, I can honestly say I had never heard of this kid until yesterday, but I am already a fan favorite.

    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    It is a wonderful time of year isn't it. From now thru the training camp all the rookies are potential pro bowlers, or at least guaranteed a roster spot. Then comes roster cuts.
    You bring up a good point and one that bares watching. How will these rooks be treated with respect to roster spots vs marginal vets.

    My guess, the staff is in a place now were they aren't going to go out and draft a kid if they don't think he is worth the effort when it comes to working him into things over a 2 or 3 year span if that is what it takes.

    The backside of that is, we will see some of the older Vets let loose before most of us fans expect them to.

    I can't remember what number I came up with on my roster analysis, but I bet there are one or two Rooks on this roster that will get a roster spot currently held by a Vet most of us don't expect to see let loose, i.e. Farwell, the others will fill the vacant spots I highlighted in my analysis.
    I think that is the way of the league nowadays. Use a few roster spots for cheap rookies instead of a veteran that may have more ability, but is not a standout. More money can then be used in other ways. i do not recall that being the case back in the day, but as a kid you do not pay much attention to peripheral team business. All you care about is seeing your favorite players and wins.
    Don't take this the wrong way, in fact, take it as a compliment......

    How old are you? For some reason I have you as a 40 year old in my pea brain based on your posting prowess. :huh:
    50 this Dec.
    although if you asked my wife of 26 yrs, she may say I act like a kid. As will many of our friends.
    My body, on the other hand will tell you it is time for me to go out to pasture.
    Roger. 49 and feel the same way. Your comment....

    but as a kid you do not pay much attention to peripheral team business
    Confused me a bit. I for some reason thought you were saying you were a kid.
    I was referring to when I was younger. I do not recall teams dumping vets for cheaper young players. It may have happened then but I did not pay attention to that. Then again, they did not have to pay vets much. Also, being a viking fan, Bud definately favored vets over rooks.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  4. #14
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,778
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    Marrdro wrote:
    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    Just like my boy John Randle... if Triplett did that then I would be more than happy
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #15
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    AngloVike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    Just like my boy John Randle... if Triplett did that then I would be more than happy
    I can remember back, isn't really that far, when Johnny was the only cat on the defense that I liked.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings 6th round Draft pick Joe Webb QB from UAB
    By SharperImage in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 02:44 PM
  2. Vikings 7th round pick Mickey Shuler
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
  3. Vikings 7th round pick Ryan D'Imperio
    By skum in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 08:33 PM
  4. Vikings 5th round pick DeGeare
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 05:53 AM
  5. Vikings Pick Up Four 4th Round Picks And Cash
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •