Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    Overview
    One of the few former walk-ons to receive an invitation to this year's combine, Triplett's career as a Gopher slowly built until he was given the chance to start every game as a senior. He took full advantage, making 105 tackles, five for loss, two interceptions and five pass breakups.

    Triplett played in only one game (five plays in the regular-season finale against Iowa) in his redshirt freshman season. In 2007, he was named the team's best special teams player, making nine stops, then earned more playing time as a junior (31 tackles, one start in 13 games).

    He's a hard-working, strong linebacker with a chance to be a solid reserve strong-side presence as a run-stopper and in pass coverage.

    Analysis
    Positives: Versatile linebacker who could play inside in the 3-4 or SAM in the 4-3. Instinctual, and a better athlete than expected. Tough vs. the run; stacks and sheds, also runs through trash inside to make plays. Solid tackler who wraps in space and doesn't let go. Good in coverage, as well, getting to running backs and tight ends. Will contribute on special teams because of his aggressive nature.

    Negatives: Not great at any one thing; not ultra-strong, an elite athlete or speedster. A bit stiff in the hips; NFL tight ends and backs will run by him and out-quick him in space if matched up one-on-one. Needs to work on maintaining knee bend when dropping or else he'll lose targets in coverage.
    CBS Player Profile - Triplett
    Even though he is a Golden Gopher, I can honestly say I had never heard of this kid until yesterday, but I am already a fan favorite.

    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    Minnesota used its second pick of the round to select the Gophers' walk-on linebacker 167th overall.

    Triplett, a special-teams standout from Delano High School, had a breakout 2009 season and became a full-time starter at linebacker. He was the Gophers' second-leading tackler with 105, including five for a loss. He also intercepted two passes, broke up five others and recovered two fumbles.

    Triplett is versatile enough to play in several defensive schemes but knows he will have to contribute elsewhere to earn a full-time job at linebacker in the NFL.

    "Right away, I think my role is going to be doing a lot of special-teams things until I can really prove myself on the field as a linebacker," he said. "I'm going to work my way into a linebacker's spot so eventually I can become a big playmaker."
    Gophers' Triplett staying home after being drafted by Vikings
    Hey Heath, take your slow ass and gimp knee someplace else. Kenny has a new ST's ace to help him out. B)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,194
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    I like the pick. He looks like a big inside linebacker who is at his best against the run. Reminds me of Jasper Brinkley.

  4. #4
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    Rudy,Rudy,Rudy....

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    I found two new Vikings fans in the building this morning. Both are big gophers fans and were talking about the Vikes and this pick.

    Sounded a bit like homers, but they sure seem to think the Vikes got a diamond in the rough here.

    Seems that they echo most scouting reports. Dude just loves to play the game, plays it the old school way (hard work/hard hitting), and will contribute immediately on ST's if nothing else.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    BS: Heath Farwell has carved out a nice career as a special teams player. Would that be OK with you if you never get to start on defense and just play special teams?

    NT: I really want to start, but I also like playing special teams as well. If that's the kind of role it ends up being, that would be OK with me, I guess. I definitely will fight, scratch and claw to get on defense, too.

    BS: What have the Vikings told you of their plans for you?

    NT: They didn't really give me ideas about where I'd be playing. They asked right away, "Will you be ready to play special teams for us?" They said they'd get me in the linebackers' room and on special teams. I said, "That's awesome." I'm a very coachable guy.
    Questions with Bob Sansevere: Gophers' Nate Triplett at home with Vikings

    Have I said it yet today? You know, how much I love this pick? Bye Bye Heath...... :laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,456

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    Marrdro wrote:
    Overview
    One of the few former walk-ons to receive an invitation to this year's combine, Triplett's career as a Gopher slowly built until he was given the chance to start every game as a senior. He took full advantage, making 105 tackles, five for loss, two interceptions and five pass breakups.

    Triplett played in only one game (five plays in the regular-season finale against Iowa) in his redshirt freshman season. In 2007, he was named the team's best special teams player, making nine stops, then earned more playing time as a junior (31 tackles, one start in 13 games).

    He's a hard-working, strong linebacker with a chance to be a solid reserve strong-side presence as a run-stopper and in pass coverage.

    Analysis
    Positives: Versatile linebacker who could play inside in the 3-4 or SAM in the 4-3. Instinctual, and a better athlete than expected. Tough vs. the run; stacks and sheds, also runs through trash inside to make plays. Solid tackler who wraps in space and doesn't let go. Good in coverage, as well, getting to running backs and tight ends. Will contribute on special teams because of his aggressive nature.

    Negatives: Not great at any one thing; not ultra-strong, an elite athlete or speedster. A bit stiff in the hips; NFL tight ends and backs will run by him and out-quick him in space if matched up one-on-one. Needs to work on maintaining knee bend when dropping or else he'll lose targets in coverage.
    CBS Player Profile - Triplett
    Even though he is a Golden Gopher, I can honestly say I had never heard of this kid until yesterday, but I am already a fan favorite.

    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    It is a wonderful time of year isn't it. From now thru the training camp all the rookies are potential pro bowlers, or at least guaranteed a roster spot. Then comes roster cuts.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Overview
    One of the few former walk-ons to receive an invitation to this year's combine, Triplett's career as a Gopher slowly built until he was given the chance to start every game as a senior. He took full advantage, making 105 tackles, five for loss, two interceptions and five pass breakups.

    Triplett played in only one game (five plays in the regular-season finale against Iowa) in his redshirt freshman season. In 2007, he was named the team's best special teams player, making nine stops, then earned more playing time as a junior (31 tackles, one start in 13 games).

    He's a hard-working, strong linebacker with a chance to be a solid reserve strong-side presence as a run-stopper and in pass coverage.

    Analysis
    Positives: Versatile linebacker who could play inside in the 3-4 or SAM in the 4-3. Instinctual, and a better athlete than expected. Tough vs. the run; stacks and sheds, also runs through trash inside to make plays. Solid tackler who wraps in space and doesn't let go. Good in coverage, as well, getting to running backs and tight ends. Will contribute on special teams because of his aggressive nature.

    Negatives: Not great at any one thing; not ultra-strong, an elite athlete or speedster. A bit stiff in the hips; NFL tight ends and backs will run by him and out-quick him in space if matched up one-on-one. Needs to work on maintaining knee bend when dropping or else he'll lose targets in coverage.
    CBS Player Profile - Triplett
    Even though he is a Golden Gopher, I can honestly say I had never heard of this kid until yesterday, but I am already a fan favorite.

    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    It is a wonderful time of year isn't it. From now thru the training camp all the rookies are potential pro bowlers, or at least guaranteed a roster spot. Then comes roster cuts.
    You bring up a good point and one that bares watching. How will these rooks be treated with respect to roster spots vs marginal vets.

    My guess, the staff is in a place now were they aren't going to go out and draft a kid if they don't think he is worth the effort when it comes to working him into things over a 2 or 3 year span if that is what it takes.

    The backside of that is, we will see some of the older Vets let loose before most of us fans expect them to.

    I can't remember what number I came up with on my roster analysis, but I bet there are one or two Rooks on this roster that will get a roster spot currently held by a Vet most of us don't expect to see let loose, i.e. Farwell, the others will fill the vacant spots I highlighted in my analysis.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,456

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Overview
    One of the few former walk-ons to receive an invitation to this year's combine, Triplett's career as a Gopher slowly built until he was given the chance to start every game as a senior. He took full advantage, making 105 tackles, five for loss, two interceptions and five pass breakups.

    Triplett played in only one game (five plays in the regular-season finale against Iowa) in his redshirt freshman season. In 2007, he was named the team's best special teams player, making nine stops, then earned more playing time as a junior (31 tackles, one start in 13 games).

    He's a hard-working, strong linebacker with a chance to be a solid reserve strong-side presence as a run-stopper and in pass coverage.

    Analysis
    Positives: Versatile linebacker who could play inside in the 3-4 or SAM in the 4-3. Instinctual, and a better athlete than expected. Tough vs. the run; stacks and sheds, also runs through trash inside to make plays. Solid tackler who wraps in space and doesn't let go. Good in coverage, as well, getting to running backs and tight ends. Will contribute on special teams because of his aggressive nature.

    Negatives: Not great at any one thing; not ultra-strong, an elite athlete or speedster. A bit stiff in the hips; NFL tight ends and backs will run by him and out-quick him in space if matched up one-on-one. Needs to work on maintaining knee bend when dropping or else he'll lose targets in coverage.
    CBS Player Profile - Triplett
    Even though he is a Golden Gopher, I can honestly say I had never heard of this kid until yesterday, but I am already a fan favorite.

    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    It is a wonderful time of year isn't it. From now thru the training camp all the rookies are potential pro bowlers, or at least guaranteed a roster spot. Then comes roster cuts.
    You bring up a good point and one that bares watching. How will these rooks be treated with respect to roster spots vs marginal vets.

    My guess, the staff is in a place now were they aren't going to go out and draft a kid if they don't think he is worth the effort when it comes to working him into things over a 2 or 3 year span if that is what it takes.

    The backside of that is, we will see some of the older Vets let loose before most of us fans expect them to.

    I can't remember what number I came up with on my roster analysis, but I bet there are one or two Rooks on this roster that will get a roster spot currently held by a Vet most of us don't expect to see let loose, i.e. Farwell, the others will fill the vacant spots I highlighted in my analysis.
    I think that is the way of the league nowadays. Use a few roster spots for cheap rookies instead of a veteran that may have more ability, but is not a standout. More money can then be used in other ways. i do not recall that being the case back in the day, but as a kid you do not pay much attention to peripheral team business. All you care about is seeing your favorite players and wins.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Vikings 5th round pick Triplett

    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Overview
    One of the few former walk-ons to receive an invitation to this year's combine, Triplett's career as a Gopher slowly built until he was given the chance to start every game as a senior. He took full advantage, making 105 tackles, five for loss, two interceptions and five pass breakups.

    Triplett played in only one game (five plays in the regular-season finale against Iowa) in his redshirt freshman season. In 2007, he was named the team's best special teams player, making nine stops, then earned more playing time as a junior (31 tackles, one start in 13 games).

    He's a hard-working, strong linebacker with a chance to be a solid reserve strong-side presence as a run-stopper and in pass coverage.

    Analysis
    Positives: Versatile linebacker who could play inside in the 3-4 or SAM in the 4-3. Instinctual, and a better athlete than expected. Tough vs. the run; stacks and sheds, also runs through trash inside to make plays. Solid tackler who wraps in space and doesn't let go. Good in coverage, as well, getting to running backs and tight ends. Will contribute on special teams because of his aggressive nature.

    Negatives: Not great at any one thing; not ultra-strong, an elite athlete or speedster. A bit stiff in the hips; NFL tight ends and backs will run by him and out-quick him in space if matched up one-on-one. Needs to work on maintaining knee bend when dropping or else he'll lose targets in coverage.
    CBS Player Profile - Triplett
    Even though he is a Golden Gopher, I can honestly say I had never heard of this kid until yesterday, but I am already a fan favorite.

    This is the type of player that comes in as a "Walk on" and eventually gets drafted into the NFL with very little fanfair and hype, but could in all likelyhood become a star.

    Look to see him become Z and Mars new ST's favorite as thier boy will be shown the door this year when this guy takes his roster spot.
    It is a wonderful time of year isn't it. From now thru the training camp all the rookies are potential pro bowlers, or at least guaranteed a roster spot. Then comes roster cuts.
    You bring up a good point and one that bares watching. How will these rooks be treated with respect to roster spots vs marginal vets.

    My guess, the staff is in a place now were they aren't going to go out and draft a kid if they don't think he is worth the effort when it comes to working him into things over a 2 or 3 year span if that is what it takes.

    The backside of that is, we will see some of the older Vets let loose before most of us fans expect them to.

    I can't remember what number I came up with on my roster analysis, but I bet there are one or two Rooks on this roster that will get a roster spot currently held by a Vet most of us don't expect to see let loose, i.e. Farwell, the others will fill the vacant spots I highlighted in my analysis.
    I think that is the way of the league nowadays. Use a few roster spots for cheap rookies instead of a veteran that may have more ability, but is not a standout. More money can then be used in other ways. i do not recall that being the case back in the day, but as a kid you do not pay much attention to peripheral team business. All you care about is seeing your favorite players and wins.
    Don't take this the wrong way, in fact, take it as a compliment......

    How old are you? For some reason I have you as a 40 year old in my pea brain based on your posting prowess. :huh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings 6th round Draft pick Joe Webb QB from UAB
    By SharperImage in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 02:44 PM
  2. Vikings 7th round pick Mickey Shuler
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
  3. Vikings 7th round pick Ryan D'Imperio
    By skum in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 08:33 PM
  4. Vikings 5th round pick DeGeare
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 05:53 AM
  5. Vikings Pick Up Four 4th Round Picks And Cash
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •