Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Curious about your comment.
    :

What leads you to speculate that they wouldn't want to stay if they were provided a contract worthy of thier services.

Have we really seen alot of negative comments from his player's to date?
    I seem to only remember 1 or 2.
    Even Smoot spoke well of him in his news conferences down here.

My feelings here is that he is liked by his players about as much as any other coach that took an authoritarian leadership style.
    I'm not talking about from the player standpoint, I'm talking from the coach's. The strategy this year has pretty much been conservative spending. I just wonder whether Childress will get his guys and hold on to them forever or continously choose to spend on young players with potential.

By the time Chester Taylor's contract is up, will we stick with the proven vet or move on with a younger option? Will Ben Leber continue to start or will Childress put in the LB drafted in the 2nd round, like he did with Smoot and Griffin?

It is too far in the future to realistically project. The first step for a coach is to come in and build the team. Once that team is built, the strategy varies. Cowher stuck with Jerome Bettis for a long time, whereas Belicheck jumped from RB to RB. I wonder what Childress will do is all.
    I see were you are going now.

My opinion only, however, I think we can read into the approach the staff seems to be taking, it is something that is likened to the way the Patriots did it over the last 5 years or so.

Using Tayler as our example here, I assume he will try to retain him at a resonable rate/pay scale, however, I also assume he will have, by then, drafted a adequate back that has been on the team a year or two that can step in and take over is Taylor wants something out of our CAP spending plan.

Again, I will point out something that is prevelant throughout my posts, I think this is a concerted effort by an entire staff (Spielman, Studwell not just B-chill) working towards a goal of a team that can consistently content every year and not just make one run at a SB by spurlging on high priced FA's.

At least that is what I see through my purple sunglasses.
    ;D
    We are talking about the same thing, but on different levels here. You are using money as a reference point for keeping players, I am using
    the "Childress' guy" factor. Childress has went and got his guys with little regard to price (ex. trading up to get TJ, spending a lot for Shiancoe, and obviously Hutchinson). Thus, I believe that the main factor in keeping players will be how much they are liked by Childress, not money. Will Childress favor the old vet or the new potential. Up to his point, it has been the vet. (ex. Baskett trade, getting Taylor instead of drafting in a deep RB draft)

Also, I agree with you that we are trying to build a team with long term success, but my question is: how will we go about doing that? I referenced the Patriots and the Steelers purposefully. The Patriots have obviously been successful, as have the Steelers, who have multiple playoff appearances despite one SB win. There is not one set path for success, there are many different ways to do it, especially when it comes to the Pats, who shedded big names like crazy, and the Steelers, who kept their star players and simply filled needs without creating them.

For all we know, Childress is building a young base before going crazy in FA next year.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V-Unit" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Curious about your comment.
    :

What leads you to speculate that they wouldn't want to stay if they were provided a contract worthy of thier services.

Have we really seen alot of negative comments from his player's to date?
    I seem to only remember 1 or 2.
    Even Smoot spoke well of him in his news conferences down here.

My feelings here is that he is liked by his players about as much as any other coach that took an authoritarian leadership style.
    I'm not talking about from the player standpoint, I'm talking from the coach's. The strategy this year has pretty much been conservative spending. I just wonder whether Childress will get his guys and hold on to them forever or continously choose to spend on young players with potential.

By the time Chester Taylor's contract is up, will we stick with the proven vet or move on with a younger option? Will Ben Leber continue to start or will Childress put in the LB drafted in the 2nd round, like he did with Smoot and Griffin?

It is too far in the future to realistically project. The first step for a coach is to come in and build the team. Once that team is built, the strategy varies. Cowher stuck with Jerome Bettis for a long time, whereas Belicheck jumped from RB to RB. I wonder what Childress will do is all.
    I see were you are going now.

My opinion only, however, I think we can read into the approach the staff seems to be taking, it is something that is likened to the way the Patriots did it over the last 5 years or so.

Using Tayler as our example here, I assume he will try to retain him at a resonable rate/pay scale, however, I also assume he will have, by then, drafted a adequate back that has been on the team a year or two that can step in and take over is Taylor wants something out of our CAP spending plan.

Again, I will point out something that is prevelant throughout my posts, I think this is a concerted effort by an entire staff (Spielman, Studwell not just B-chill) working towards a goal of a team that can consistently content every year and not just make one run at a SB by spurlging on high priced FA's.

At least that is what I see through my purple sunglasses.
    ;D
    We are talking about the same thing, but on different levels here. You are using money as a reference point for keeping players, I am using
    the "Childress' guy" factor. Childress has went and got his guys with little regard to price (ex. trading up to get TJ, spending a lot for Shiancoe, and obviously Hutchinson). Thus, I believe that the main factor in keeping players will be how much they are liked by Childress, not money. Will Childress favor the old vet or the new potential. Up to his point, it has been the vet. (ex. Baskett trade, getting Taylor instead of drafting in a deep RB draft)

Also, I agree with you that we are trying to build a team with long term success, but my question is: how will we go about doing that? I referenced the Patriots and the Steelers purposefully. The Patriots have obviously been successful, as have the Steelers, who have multiple playoff appearances despite one SB win. There is not one set path for success, there are many different ways to do it, especially when it comes to the Pats, who shedded big names like crazy, and the Steelers, who kept their star players and simply filled needs without creating them.

For all we know, Childress is building a young base before going crazy in FA next year.
    I hope his approach is to be impartial and do what is best for the team when it comes to players and who he keeps. Again, I don't think it will be up to just him. Your examples here I think are a bit skewed as he had to do something to get some sort of player in that could quickly adapt to his scheme.
    Just like this year, I think he was a bit limited by outside potential for what he could bring in.

Over the next few years I think this perception of him will change as he builds the core nucleas of this team and doesn't have to plug some many holes in a realtively short amount of time.

Time is how he will build this team.
    A piece here, a piece there.
    Once the core gets bigger with more talented guys adept at his scheme there won't be such a gaping hole.

Prime example here.
    Cleveland goes out and gets a FA RB for 1 year and then drafts a RB with thier third pick.
    Alot of people will scoff at that, however, that is the hand Crennel is dealt and I think it will be a sound approach of getting a finger in the dam as well as prepping someone for the long term solution.

That said, yes there is not one set path or solution, and just like we saw with the approach taken last year when it came to getting a QB, they tried to trade up for Cutler, that didn't work because (speculation here) our Capologist to much (picks/$$$) so lets go with plan 2, that guy got taken, plan 3 was TJ.
    Anyway, point is they had multiple options/paths/solutions to the problem.
    Hopefully it will all work out.

By the way.
    Great stuff and not ONE "I want MOSS" or "CHILDRESS SUCKS" inject.
    ;D

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

Prime example here.
    Cleveland goes out and gets a FA RB for 1 year and then drafts a RB with thier third pick.
    Alot of people will scoff at that, however, that is the hand Crennel is dealt and I think it will be a sound approach of getting a finger in the dam as well as prepping someone for the long term solution.
    Thats the approach I would like to see us take at WR and QB.
    Even if they aren't jaw dropping talent, and even if they are a little expensive.
    Short term contracts for proven vets that don't bind your spending in the long term but makes you competitive in the short term.
    I'm not talking Tom Brady and Ocho Cinco, but guys like Trent Green and Horn/Curtis/Bennett make a lot of sense to me.

Childress can still build his system and probably be given more time for it to develop by not putting himself in jeopardy of stinking it up this year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Prime example here.
    Thats the approach I would like to see us take at WR and QB.
    Even if they aren't jaw dropping talent, and even if they are a little expensive.
    Short term contracts for proven vets that don't bind your spending in the long term but makes you competitive in the short term.
    I'm not talking Tom Brady and Ocho Cinco, but guys like Trent Green and Horn/Curtis/Bennett make a lot of sense to me.

Childress can still build his system and probably be given more time for it to develop by not putting himself in jeopardy of stinking it up this year.
    Agree Tasty but he is pretty limited this year for those FA's that will fit.
    Must be a bit frustrating for him also, to have an idea of what kindof scheme will work/win and not be able to find the right players to run it.

Again, I have no insight into B-chills mind, just trying to put pieces together here that fit into what is my perception of reality.
    ;D

Now for another Corona
    ;D

Note to Webby:
    Can we get a "Beer Toasting Smiley?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings Could Lead League in Cap Space
    Posted Mar 19th 2007 10:24AM
    by Ryan Wilson

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Is that like being all dressed up with no where to go.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

The Head Office is obviously waiting for Arena football to end so we can raid their rosters for WRs and pay em BIG bonus'. That's the ticket.

The positions that take a lot of cap space are ones that the Vikes might addressin the draft; i.e. QB, WR, and DE.

Top Tier free agent QBs, DE and WRs often cost the most.
    But the Vikings might not have seen the right WRs and DEs in FA, and there were no FA QBs worthy of the investment when compared to TJack.
    But, considering Quinn, and several DEs and WRs available in the draft, there might be better fits into the Vikings systems.

Once the draft concludes, and the Vikings needs are re-assessed, there may be one or two more free agent signings.

Also recall that Hank Baskett was available as an undrafted free agent last year.
    The Vikings might make a few low risk gambles by signing a few collegiate WRs who weren't drafted due to injuries or character issues.

I think the Pentagon of Power is betting on one high-salaried vet WR being released after pre-season by his current team due to the teams' addition of someone like CJohnson, etc.

Some of the 2007 cap space might be spent by re-working some contracts ( e.g. Birk, Kleinsausage ) to include 'achievable incentives' which are not likely to be achieved, thus allowing them to roll cap money forward to 2008.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234