Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    true, but some of the FA's that WERE out there were still better than what we currently have.
    So we should blow a lot of money, creating discontent in the locker room based on out-of-skew salaries (lots of ego in pro athletes) for medium talent just to see if it works?

    I just don't buy it.
    The Patriots won 3 Super Bowls with medium talent WRs.
    Quick - name a starting WR for the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl - or Tampa Bay.

    It can be done with the right offense, which The Big Chill believes the KAO to be.
    I'm willing to let the PoP run the show.

    =Z=
    Brandon Stokely...who incidentally IS available!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  2. #22
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    In Childress; eyes, we already have the DE, QB, DB, LB and maybe even WR which fans are clamoring for the Vikings to add. He has the utmost trust in TJ, Griffin, Greenway, and Ray Edwards. Childress thinks that the only starter he still needs is at WR.

    Though I state it as fact. That is obviously complete speculation. However, I think it does have some truth to it. Looking at it from that angle, if the fans are willing to trust the young guys as much as the coach is, the only starter we need is at WR.

    My prediction: We are done signing starters in FA. We will trade down, draft Ginn, and add young talent with extra picks.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  3. #23
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "V-Unit" wrote:
    In Childress; eyes, we already have the DE, QB, DB, LB and maybe even WR which fans are clamoring for the Vikings to add. He has the utmost trust in TJ, Griffin, Greenway, and Ray Edwards. Childress thinks that the only starter he still needs is at WR.

    Though I state it as fact. That is obviously complete speculation. However, I think it does have some truth to it. Looking at it from that angle, if the fans are willing to trust the young guys as much as the coach is, the only starter we need is at WR.

    My prediction: We are done signing starters in FA. We will trade down, draft Ginn, and add young talent with extra picks.
    So, if he has EVERYTHING already (except the #1 WR...even HE can't be that stupid to think that he has that), then why not trade up and get the ONLY #1 WR in the draft.
    I would be OK with that option.
    Heck, if Ricky Williams wouldn't have been such an IDIOT, the deal that Mike Ditka pulled in New Orleans would've worked!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  4. #24
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    In Childress; eyes, we already have the DE, QB, DB, LB and maybe even WR which fans are clamoring for the Vikings to add. He has the utmost trust in TJ, Griffin, Greenway, and Ray Edwards. Childress thinks that the only starter he still needs is at WR.

    Though I state it as fact. That is obviously complete speculation. However, I think it does have some truth to it. Looking at it from that angle, if the fans are willing to trust the young guys as much as the coach is, the only starter we need is at WR.

    My prediction: We are done signing starters in FA. We will trade down, draft Ginn, and add young talent with extra picks.
    So, if he has EVERYTHING already (except the #1 WR...even HE can't be that stupid to think that he has that), then why not trade up and get the ONLY #1 WR in the draft.
    I would be OK with that option.
    Heck, if Ricky Williams wouldn't have been such an IDIOT, the deal that Mike Ditka pulled in New Orleans would've worked!!!
    I agree, I would totally love moving up and getting CJ, I just don't think Childress will do it. If he trades down, he is able to get more of "his guys."

    It will be really interesting looking down the road to see how hard Childress tries to resign "his guys." I wonder
    how long the players we got last offseason will be around, especially the draft picks.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  5. #25
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,562

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "Slade" wrote:
    One quick note, with all of the FA signings from other teams, has any team really improved to make you say "wow, they are going to be tough"? Other than the 9'ers (who overpaid, IMO) I don't see any teams that improved dramatically. Sure the Broncos & Dolphins got some guys, but they still have other issues (like QB's). No team really jumps out at me right now. All I see is a mediocre FA class being paid waaaay to much.
    EXACTLY!!!
    Activity does not equal progress in the world of free agency.


    Not concerned about missing any of the receivers...I'm told the Vikes offered Curtis what they thought he was worth.
    The fact that he has visited other teams and fired his agent since then is indicative that the Vikes may not be wrong.
    I like the kid, but, we should not overpay.
    Also, look at the crazy contracts Offensive Linemen are getting this year; kinda validates what the boys did with Hutchinson.
    Further, look at how productive Nate Burleson was as a Seabag, kinda validates what the boys did.
    Leber was another solid acquisition, letting Smoot go was a necessary decision, given Griffin's development.
    These guy's most questionable decision is at QB.
    They cannot be criticized for not paying this crop of FA receivers.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  6. #26
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "VikemanX84" wrote:
    So, going into the draft we NEED:
    1. A #1 WR
    2. A #2 WR
    3. A Nickel Cornerback (plays 50% or more of the plays)
    4. A pass-rushing DE (Erasmus is unreliable, but might be the answer)
    5. A Right OLman

    4 out of the 5 of those we need starters.
    And usually, in the draft, you are extremely luck to get 2 starters right out of the gates.
    I agree with you on the WR position, however we are being led to assume that the brass is more comfortable with the WR position than we are.


    Nickel back - I am guessing they'll either surprise us in the draft OR are very comfortable with our DB's right now... (not sure how I feel about that one)
    I think we are set on DE, I really do.
    I'm not going to look up the statistics, but our rush was far better before Erasmus was hurt; then we had to move Udeze to a an unnatural side, etc.
    I think it just brought the whole line down.
    I also think Edwards is a solid player who can fill in that pass rushing DE role, at least to the extent we don't need to draft another.
    If anybody has more time on their hands than I do, please look up the stats w/ and w/o James.

    Offensive Line - Boy... you got me, please let Cook pan out, let MJ move to guard and the world be a better place.
    But yes, we probably will draft OL in the top 3 rounds.

    Just my opinions here...


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "V-Unit" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    In Childress; eyes, we already have the DE, QB, DB, LB and maybe even WR which fans are clamoring for the Vikings to add. He has the utmost trust in TJ, Griffin, Greenway, and Ray Edwards. Childress thinks that the only starter he still needs is at WR.

    Though I state it as fact. That is obviously complete speculation. However, I think it does have some truth to it. Looking at it from that angle, if the fans are willing to trust the young guys as much as the coach is, the only starter we need is at WR.

    My prediction: We are done signing starters in FA. We will trade down, draft Ginn, and add young talent with extra picks.
    So, if he has EVERYTHING already (except the #1 WR...even HE can't be that stupid to think that he has that), then why not trade up and get the ONLY #1 WR in the draft.
    I would be OK with that option.
    Heck, if Ricky Williams wouldn't have been such an IDIOT, the deal that Mike Ditka pulled in New Orleans would've worked!!!
    I agree, I would totally love moving up and getting CJ, I just don't think Childress will do it. If he trades down, he is able to get more of "his guys."

    It will be really interesting looking down the road to see how hard Childress tries to resign "his guys." I wonder
    how long the players we got last offseason will be around, especially the draft picks
    .
    Curious about your comment.
    :

    What leads you to speculate that they wouldn't want to stay if they were provided a contract worthy of thier services.

    Have we really seen alot of negative comments from his player's to date?
    I seem to only remember 1 or 2.
    Even Smoot spoke well of him in his news conferences down here.

    My feelings here is that he is liked by his players about as much as any other coach that took an authoritarian leadership style.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Curious about your comment.
    :

    What leads you to speculate that they wouldn't want to stay if they were provided a contract worthy of thier services.

    Have we really seen alot of negative comments from his player's to date?
    I seem to only remember 1 or 2.
    Even Smoot spoke well of him in his news conferences down here.

    My feelings here is that he is liked by his players about as much as any other coach that took an authoritarian leadership style.
    I'm not talking about from the player standpoint, I'm talking from the coach's. The strategy this year has pretty much been conservative spending. I just wonder whether Childress will get his guys and hold on to them forever or continously choose to spend on young players with potential.

    By the time Chester Taylor's contract is up, will we stick with the proven vet or move on with a younger option? Will Ben Leber continue to start or will Childress put in the LB drafted in the 2nd round, like he did with Smoot and Griffin?

    It is too far in the future to realistically project. The first step for a coach is to come in and build the team. Once that team is built, the strategy varies. Cowher stuck with Jerome Bettis for a long time, whereas Belicheck jumped from RB to RB. I wonder what Childress will do is all.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  9. #29
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "V-Unit" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    In Childress; eyes, we already have the DE, QB, DB, LB and maybe even WR which fans are clamoring for the Vikings to add. He has the utmost trust in TJ, Griffin, Greenway, and Ray Edwards. Childress thinks that the only starter he still needs is at WR.

    Though I state it as fact. That is obviously complete speculation. However, I think it does have some truth to it. Looking at it from that angle, if the fans are willing to trust the young guys as much as the coach is, the only starter we need is at WR.

    My prediction: We are done signing starters in FA. We will trade down, draft Ginn, and add young talent with extra picks.
    So, if he has EVERYTHING already (except the #1 WR...even HE can't be that stupid to think that he has that), then why not trade up and get the ONLY #1 WR in the draft.
    I would be OK with that option.
    Heck, if Ricky Williams wouldn't have been such an IDIOT, the deal that Mike Ditka pulled in New Orleans would've worked!!!
    I agree, I would totally love moving up and getting CJ, I just don't think Childress will do it. If he trades down, he is able to get more of "his guys."

    It will be really interesting looking down the road to see how hard Childress tries to resign "his guys." I wonder
    how long the players we got last offseason will be around, especially the draft picks.
    One day, he is gonna have to admit that a few of "his guys" need to be gamebreakers...and he won't be the only one that is gonna get all of the "hidden gems" in the NFL draft.
    The fact of the matter is that getting a stud like CJ can help on SEVERAL levels...besides opening up the entire passing game, he will also take pressure off of TJack, the OL and even Chester.
    In addition, the defense will be on the field even less, which keeps them fresh...and more productive.
    IF we got CJ (and he pans out like we all think he will), we could easily be looking at a turnaround ala what the Saints did last season.
    It is not out of the realm!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "V-Unit" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Curious about your comment.
    :

    What leads you to speculate that they wouldn't want to stay if they were provided a contract worthy of thier services.

    Have we really seen alot of negative comments from his player's to date?
    I seem to only remember 1 or 2.
    Even Smoot spoke well of him in his news conferences down here.

    My feelings here is that he is liked by his players about as much as any other coach that took an authoritarian leadership style.
    I'm not talking about from the player standpoint, I'm talking from the coach's. The strategy this year has pretty much been conservative spending. I just wonder whether Childress will get his guys and hold on to them forever or continously choose to spend on young players with potential.

    By the time Chester Taylor's contract is up, will we stick with the proven vet or move on with a younger option? Will Ben Leber continue to start or will Childress put in the LB drafted in the 2nd round, like he did with Smoot and Griffin?

    It is too far in the future to realistically project. The first step for a coach is to come in and build the team. Once that team is built, the strategy varies. Cowher stuck with Jerome Bettis for a long time, whereas Belicheck jumped from RB to RB. I wonder what Childress will do is all.
    I see were you are going now.

    My opinion only, however, I think we can read into the approach the staff seems to be taking, it is something that is likened to the way the Patriots did it over the last 5 years or so.

    Using Tayler as our example here, I assume he will try to retain him at a resonable rate/pay scale, however, I also assume he will have, by then, drafted a adequate back that has been on the team a year or two that can step in and take over is Taylor wants something out of our CAP spending plan.

    Again, I will point out something that is prevelant throughout my posts, I think this is a concerted effort by an entire staff (Spielman, Studwell not just B-chill) working towards a goal of a team that can consistently content every year and not just make one run at a SB by spurlging on high priced FA's.

    At least that is what I see through my purple sunglasses.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Report: Vikings second to last in NFL in cap space
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
  2. Vikings tops in cap space
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 10:37 PM
  3. Vikings still have $12M in cap space
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 05:21 PM
  4. Cap space, needs bountiful for Vikings
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2006, 03:37 AM
  5. Cap Space, needs bountiful for Vikings.
    By VikesfaninWis in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 05:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •