Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11
    Big C is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    828

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    The only big needs we needed from FA was a #1 WR and a proven pass-rusher. There weren't any proven #1 WRs and I guess we didn't want a high paid DE because of the amount of money invested in the D-Line (3 first round draft picks).

    Looks like we're building through the draft. So be it.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

  2. #12
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "Ltrey" wrote:
    I know there weren't that many quality free agents out there this go-round and I understand (and even support) the arguments against signing many of the guys in the free agent pool, but I still have the feeling that a lot of teams have gotten better and we have gone nowhere.

    I understand that we cut some dead (albeit somehwat productive) weight and we made three signings that all filled a need of some sort, but we really haven't brought in anyone that is a playmaker or a morale/game changer and that scares me. We were 6-10 last year, and when you go 6-10 with a piss poor offense the last thing you want to do, IMO, is keep everything the same.

    I just hope the draft helps us improve, because I feel like free agency did us very little good this year.
    Here's the thing, LTrey - this off-season, there aren't play-makers to be had.
    If Drew Bennett and Kevin Curtis are the top WRs available, that screams "HOLD YER MONEY!!!" to me if play-makers are what you need.

    It's a WR-strong draft, so the chance to find real talent is there.
    And I trust Studwell to make good evaluations.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #13
    2beersTommy's Avatar
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,764

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    I know there weren't that many quality free agents out there this go-round and I understand (and even support) the arguments against signing many of the guys in the free agent pool, but I still have the feeling that a lot of teams have gotten better and we have gone nowhere.

    I understand that we cut some dead (albeit somehwat productive) weight and we made three signings that all filled a need of some sort, but we really haven't brought in anyone that is a playmaker or a morale/game changer and that scares me. We were 6-10 last year, and when you go 6-10 with a piss poor offense the last thing you want to do, IMO, is keep everything the same.

    I just hope the draft helps us improve, because I feel like free agency did us very little good this year.
    Here's the thing, LTrey - this off-season, there aren't play-makers to be had.
    If Drew Bennett and Kevin Curtis are the top WRs available, that screams "HOLD YER MONEY!!!" to me if play-makers are what you need.

    It's a WR-strong draft, so the chance to find real talent is there.
    And I trust Studwell to make good evaluations.

    =Z=
    true, but some of the FA's that WERE out there were still better than what we currently have.

  4. #14
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    I know there weren't that many quality free agents out there this go-round and I understand (and even support) the arguments against signing many of the guys in the free agent pool, but I still have the feeling that a lot of teams have gotten better and we have gone nowhere.

    I understand that we cut some dead (albeit somehwat productive) weight and we made three signings that all filled a need of some sort, but we really haven't brought in anyone that is a playmaker or a morale/game changer and that scares me. We were 6-10 last year, and when you go 6-10 with a piss poor offense the last thing you want to do, IMO, is keep everything the same.

    I just hope the draft helps us improve, because I feel like free agency did us very little good this year.
    Here's the thing, LTrey - this off-season, there aren't play-makers to be had.
    If Drew Bennett and Kevin Curtis are the top WRs available, that screams "HOLD YER MONEY!!!" to me if play-makers are what you need.

    It's a WR-strong draft, so the chance to find real talent is there.
    And I trust Studwell to make good evaluations.

    =Z=
    true, but some of the FA's that WERE out there were still better than what we currently have.
    Joe Splunky was better than Fred Hairyass, but, the truth is, they still both suck.
    8)
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #15
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    true, but some of the FA's that WERE out there were still better than what we currently have.
    So we should blow a lot of money, creating discontent in the locker room based on out-of-skew salaries (lots of ego in pro athletes) for medium talent just to see if it works?

    I just don't buy it.
    The Patriots won 3 Super Bowls with medium talent WRs.
    Quick - name a starting WR for the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl - or Tampa Bay.

    It can be done with the right offense, which The Big Chill believes the KAO to be.
    I'm willing to let the PoP run the show.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #16
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    true, but some of the FA's that WERE out there were still better than what we currently have.
    So we should blow a lot of money, creating discontent in the locker room based on out-of-skew salaries (lots of ego in pro athletes) for medium talent just to see if it works?

    I just don't buy it.
    The Patriots won 3 Super Bowls with medium talent WRs.
    Quick - name a starting WR for the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl - or Tampa Bay.

    It can be done with the right offense, which The Big Chill believes the KAO to be.
    I'm willing to let the PoP run the show.

    =Z=
    Qadry Ismail, Joey Galloway, Joe Jurevicius. That's all I got, and I'm not even sure I'm right.

    Anyways, I get your point. If anything, those receivers blossomed that year because of good coaching. However, the bottomline is that fans hate question marks. They hate seeing a guy suck and then come back and start the next year. I don't think you can blame people with that attitude, and I don't think anyone would have complained if we had signed Bennett or Curtis over Wade.

    My biggest concern is that we have three needs that warrant a first round pick, and we only have one first round pick. With a young QB, and DE, WR seems to be the logical choice, except that we would need to trade either up or down to get a WR for the right value. What I'm trying to say is that it would be a lot easier to at least fill our needs and give this team some depth/veteran leadership before heading into the draft.

    Look at the Browns. They have multiple needs, and several thought they would draft Peterson in April. Instead they get Jamal Lewis so they can foucs on other needs in the draft. I am not saying that is a good strategy to take, but it certainly is appealing to fans.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  7. #17
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    All this BS about my name recruiting never meant much. I didn't recruit any studs. The ordinary ones played for me. Bear Bryant
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    Patience my Purple Faithfull Friend.

    I don't think anyone would have complained if we had signed Bennett or Curtis over Wade.
    I bet they wanted to sign both, Curtis and Wade.


    I still think they might look to a older Vet later on in FA just to give some senior citizen leadership to the young receiving corp we will have.
    The longer they play the waiting game the lower this guy will cost, whomever it may be.

    My biggest concern is that we have three needs that warrant a first round pick, and we only have one first round pick
    Have faith my friend.
    This draft is more than the first round and their is depth at the positions we need, WR, DE, and yes even QB.

    Instead they get Jamal Lewis so they can foucs on other needs in the draft.
    A one year deal means to me that they are still gonna go with RB.
    This guy is just insurance.
    Gives him some time to mature (bout mid season) like the Colts did last year.

    Think of this as a 3 stage approach.
    FA, Draft, Trades after.......
    The guys might even have a deal worked out for a trade later on depending on team needs after the draft.

    Frustration level comes into play here for all fans as the Triangle Of Authority just doesn't show thier hand like Meathead did.
    I for one like it that they appear to have a primary plan, a secondary approach if that doesn't come thru as well as a tertiary plan.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    For all the people who don't think we need playmakers on this team to get out of mediocrity, I'd say you were right in line with the way Childress is thinking.
    Get a bunch of average players, give them a chance to start and you'll see players that will give out maximum and play together as a team.
    At least thats his theory and he's sticking with it.

    I for one am nervous as hell that we are setting ourselves up for a very boring season where a good record will be 8-8.
    An offense that has no identity and no leaders. I have no aspirations at this point to think that we are going to be a playoff contender and certainly no where near a position to make a run for the SuperBowl.


    If our defense was as dominant as the Ravens or the Bucs then I'd give us a chance, but we are no where's near that dominant on defense at this point.
    If the strategy was to have a defense that can determine the outcome of the game than we should have focused on guys like Kerney, even at the high price.
    If the defense takes even a half step backwards, this could be a very long season.


    I'm still in wait mode, but its starting to look like the draft is the only chance we have of bringing in any real talent (as long as they have the right attitude).

  10. #20
    VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,433

    Re: Vikings with 3rd highest cap space to start FA

    Even Childress has said this team needs playmakers.
    The Bucs, in 2002, had Keyshawn Johnson, and one helluva defense.
    The Ravens in 2002 didnt have a lot of flashy players on offense but they had one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL. Maybe if we had signed a Cornerback (which we need) and/or signed a pass-rusher to improve upon the defense then there would be reason for optimism but we need to score 17-20 points in most cases.
    The Ravens and the Bucs didn't.


    Right now our WR corps (Williamson, Wade, McMullen, and Carter... ouch that hurts to type) sucks some hard core ass. I'm not gonna lie here fellas. That might just be the worst group of WRs I have ever seen and a rookie 2nd round or 3rd round pick isn't going to make it any better.

    I would love to wrap this in a purple and gold blanket and say that we are just saving money and that these back-ups could prove to be the new stars.
    The problem is that we are over paying for these back-ups so we aren't really saving money (no back-up tight end deserves almost 5 mil a year and no third-4th string WR deserves 3 mil a year).

    Also, this rarely works out!
    Sure there are some success stories, but mostly back-ups are back-ups for a reason!
    So I know I would certainly appreciate is people who stop trying to spin so it makes our lame-duck head coach and Pro-Personnel guy look good when all we have done nothing.

    The only real valid argument (instead of the current: we're throwing up and prayer and those sometimes work out!) is that we are waiting for the market to die down.
    Which makes sense, except that as already stated, this FA market is pretty poor with very few players of high quality so we can't wait for the good players to get gobbled up. (Too late now I guess).

    So, going into the draft we NEED:
    1. A #1 WR
    2. A #2 WR
    3. A Nickel Cornerback (plays 50% or more of the plays)
    4. A pass-rushing DE (Erasmus is unreliable, but might be the answer)
    5. A Right OLman

    4 out of the 5 of those we need starters.
    And usually, in the draft, you are extremely luck to get 2 starters right out of the gates.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Report: Vikings second to last in NFL in cap space
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
  2. Vikings tops in cap space
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 10:37 PM
  3. Vikings still have $12M in cap space
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 05:21 PM
  4. Cap space, needs bountiful for Vikings
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2006, 03:37 AM
  5. Cap Space, needs bountiful for Vikings.
    By VikesfaninWis in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 05:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •