Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iwantmy$2 is offline Training Camp

Vikings in 3 Round Mock Draft

Our new 3 round mock is up at (PM ME FOR LINK)
    and I thought I would share with you guys the players that landed with the Vikings to get some thoughts...

Round One
    #17 Vikings - Phillip Merling, DT/DE, Clemson

The Vikings go defensive line. Erasmus James and Kenechi Udeze are decent talents but can’t seem to stay on the field. Merling will provide a decent pass rush from either the interior or the outside; a valuable trait given the age of Pat Williams.
    Round Two
    #48 Vikings - Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky

With little free agent offerings as far as a veteran quarterback are concerned, the Vikings choose to roll the dice with Woodson in an attempt to either spur on or replace Tarvaris Jackson. The Vikings are not far from contending but need to be able to defend the pass attack better while generating some passing attack of their own.
    Round Three
    #74 Vikings - Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt

The Vikings add another weapon to their passing attack. Bennett and Rice should be able to make some plays for Minnesota.
    #83 Vikings - Tom Zbikowski, SS, Notre Dame

The Vikings further address pass defense by taking Zbikowski to replace Dwight Smith.

Re: Vikings in 3 Round Mock Draft

I like picking Bennett 3rd round but im not solid in getting a Qb in the 2nd

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The more I read, the more I waiver on who/what positions they will draft this year.

If in fact they don't go out and get a WR and DE via FA then they will probably address those positions pretty high.

If they do go out and get a DE and a WR then I don't see them drafting one at all as they already have alot of youth/talent that still needs to be developed a bit.

S and QB are two of the positions I think they need to address both via FA and Draft as well.

With that said, I don't disagree with these picks if and thats a big if, we don't address WR and DE via a FA pickup.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Bennett in the 3rd would be nice but again i am still in the Minority that thinks that The Vikes will not go DL in the first/

"Garland" wrote:
    Bennett in the 3rd would be nice but again i am still in the Minority that thinks that The Vikes will not go DL in the first/
    Define DL. If you mean DT than I might agree but if you mean DE then I don't.

Draft is deep at both DE and DT.
    They can get a quality player in the 2nd/3rd rounds at either position.

S is another story.
    Only 6 rated in the top 3 rounds and we will need to pick up at least 2 before training camp.

My bet is still on S in the first as one of the top 3 will/should be there for the taking.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_...alue_board.htm
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

of course this is all depends on FA but I still believe we wil draft 1. DE, 2.) WR 3.) QB

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    The more I read, the more I waiver on who/what positions they will draft this year.

If in fact they don't go out and get a WR and DE via FA then they will probably address those positions pretty high.

If they do go out and get a DE and a WR then I don't see them drafting one at all as they already have alot of youth/talent that still needs to be developed a bit.

S and QB are two of the positions I think they need to address both via FA and Draft as well.

With that said, I don't disagree with these picks if and thats a big if, we don't address WR and DE via a FA pickup.
    Completely agree...I'm waffling more than Eggo's.
    It just depends on whom the Vikes have rated highest.
    I agree with S and QB as needs...as well as DE and WR.
    This is a deep draft for WR...there are about 7 I could see in Purple and Gold next year.
    Like the versatility of the the top 5 defensive backs this year, and, it is entirely possible that Kenny Phillips drops right in our lap.
    I could see any one of about 8 players drafted by the Vikes in RD 1...simply depends on who they have rated highest.
    I could see any of these guys (my picks are bolded):

Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn
    Fred Davis, TE, USC
    Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
    DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
    Malcomb Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
    Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
    Jeff Otah, T, Pitt
    Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy (speed to burn, ST monster as a rookie IMO)
    Could be wrong, but I see Merling going in the Round 2 or very late RD 1.

2nd Round:
    Completely disagree with Woodson in this spot.
    Flacco or Henne will be much better...and, may be available.
    I could see either of them here...hell, Brohm could even drop potentially.
    That said, I think they will go WR in this spot...maybe:
    Earl Bennett, WR, Vandie
    Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
    Adirious Bowman, WR, OK State
    Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State

3rd Round:
    For some reason, I just have a hunch O-Line or TE; maybe because I think Rucker will drop here.
    Martin Rucker, TE, Mizzou (if he is here, you take him, too good to pass up...3rd Round sleeper IMO)
    Tony Hill, OT, Texas

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

"MaxVike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Completely agree...I'm waffling more than Eggo's.
    It just depends on whom the Vikes have rated highest.
    I agree with S and QB as needs...as well as DE and WR.
    This is a deep draft for WR...there are about 7 I could see in Purple and Gold next year.
    Like the versatility of the the top 5 defensive backs this year, and, it is entirely possible that Kenny Phillips drops right in our lap.
    I could see any one of about 8 players drafted by the Vikes in RD 1...simply depends on who they have rated highest.
    I could see any of these guys (my picks are bolded):

Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn
    Fred Davis, TE, USC
    Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
    DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
    Malcomb Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
    Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
    Jeff Otah, T, Pitt
    Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy (speed to burn, ST monster as a rookie IMO)
    Could be wrong, but I see Merling going in the Round 2 or very late RD 1.

2nd Round:
    Completely disagree with Woodson in this spot.
    Flacco or Henne will be much better...and, may be available.
    I could see either of them here...hell, Brohm could even drop potentially.
    That said, I think they will go WR in this spot...maybe:
    Earl Bennett, WR, Vandie
    Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
    Adirious Bowman, WR, OK State
    Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State

3rd Round:
    For some reason, I just have a hunch O-Line or TE; maybe because I think Rucker will drop here.
    Martin Rucker, TE, Mizzou (if he is here, you take him, too good to pass up...3rd Round sleeper IMO)
    Tony Hill, OT, Texas
    I really like Henne as a later round pick but after his good showing in the Bowl game and a pretty decent career, it appears his stock continues to go up every day.

If we take a QB (and I think we will) it will be in the area they took Thygpen I think and not in the top 3 of the draft.
    Probably a guy none of us have ever heard of like a:

Sam Bradford (Oklahoma) 3121 yards, 36 TD, 8 INT
    Paul Smith (Tulsa) 5065 yards, 47 TD, 19 INT
    Graham Harrell (TT) 5705 yards, 48 TD, 14 INT
    Taylor Tharp (Boise State) 3340 yards, 30 TD, 11 INT

I am not so sure they will even think about drafting an OL in this draft.

As I said in a previous post we are set at LT, LG, C and RG for several years (at least contractually) and Cook did pretty damn good this year considering he was a C in college and was basically playing on a OL that struggled as a whole with pass protection this year.

Add Dan Moses to the mix (returning after injury) to provide depth behind Birk and you are pretty solid at OL.

I think they have a few guys targeted that they think won't get drafted that they will invite in as undrafted FA that might make the team for a couple of our backups, however, again, we are set at all starting positions for years, and that my friend, is a good thing.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

I am not so sure they will even think about drafting an OL in this draft.

As I said in a previous post we are set at LT, LG, C and RG for several years (at least contractually) and Cook did pretty gol 'darnit good this year considering he was a C in college and was basically playing on a OL that struggled as a whole with pass protection this year.

Add Dan Moses to the mix (returning after injury) to provide depth behind Birk and you are pretty solid at OL.

I agree with this statement. The only question on the line is Cook....and its too early to draft someone else and send him packing. Now, if he don't solidify his play by the end of next year....That's when we look for RT.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

i doubt the 1st two will happen
    3rd sounds good
    and the 4th, which i love, he wont be there, he will be a 2nd rounder

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast