Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Re: Vikings 2011 Offensive & Defensive Needs

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092587
    Quote Originally Posted by "Tanner2729" #1092554
    I would love webb to start this year and if he tanks, then who cares, we can draft Luck next year.
    I love when people say this.

When will you realize, WE WILL NOT DRAFT LUCK. Luck looks to be the top pick for next year, and although we're bad, we're not that bad. We can't trade up for him either without severely crippling other parts of our team.

We are playing 6 games with the NFC North (us), Lions are very good (healthy), Chicago just finds ways to win games, Green Bay won the super bowl... then we play the NFC South 3 of those teams were playoff bound. The other games are 50/50. Our schedule plus the lockout has things heavily favored against us, and I can very well see ourselves drafting at the top of the draft again next year. This team has a lot more holes than we think, and I definitely think we have a great coach in Leslie. I believe in Leslie but its going to be a while before we get settled in.
    None

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1092584
    At QB, well that's tough. My ideal situation would be bringing in a Vet and a late round rookie to compete with Webb. I would love webb to start this year and if he tanks, then who cares, we can draft Luck next year. If he rocks it, then guess what, we got out QB of the future without using any draft picks. But if Coach really likes a QB in this draft than I'll be fine with him taking one, I trust Frazier a lot in this.
    I agree on this too... none of the top QB's in the draft are any better than Webb, and unlike the rookies, Webb has some experience under his belt. Third round would be the earliest I'd like to see a QB, but darn it all, that won't happen.

From what I've read the new coaching staff is willing to simplify the new offense for a young QB, and adjust to a players strengths... something Chiller would have never considered. I, for one, am excited to see what Webb can do under a new offense.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

As for what I feel we should do at corner, there's a lot of needs other places and I think corner is on the bottom of the list of needs. But I like Aaron Williams out of Texas in the second round. The guy is a great strong corner and should fit our scheme fairly well, he could also be the best free safety in this draft if you were to convert him!!! He reminds me of Malcolm Jenkins coming out the draft.
    None

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1092606
    As for what I feel we should do at corner, there's a lot of needs other places and I think corner is on the bottom of the list of needs. But I like Aaron Williams out of Texas in the second round. The guy is a great strong corner and should fit our scheme fairly well, he could also be the best free safety in this draft if you were to convert him!!! He reminds me of Malcolm Jenkins coming out the draft.
    I expect us to take a player like that this year. We probably have adequate corners for Chicago since their receiving corps is crap, but Green Bay has a number of very good receivers. GB likes to spread you out and get your third CB on the field. That gives them the advantage over most teams.Their receiving corps are the strength of their team. Our defensive backs certainly are not our strength.

Winfield is aging and allows a lot of uncontested catches underneath.
    Griffin and Cook are coming back from knee injury.
    Allen is covering better than he used to but never seems to get his head around to find the ball, and gets pushed around easily by the receivers.

I know we need a safety to replace Williams. But like others, I would like to convert Winfield to safety and draft another CB.

Our draft and free agency moves must be directed toward countering the strengths of our opponents in the NFCN first and foremost.
    They are all passing teams.
    Time to replace Pat Williams with another penetrating type tackle instead of a pure run stopper, and upgrade the defensive backfield.

Williams out of Texas would be a good start.
    ďWhat takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Itís the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1092607
    Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1092606
    I expect us to take a player like that this year. We probably have adequate corners for Chicago since their receiving corps is crap, but Green Bay has a number of very good receivers. GB likes to spread you out and get your third CB on the field. That gives them the advantage over most teams.Their receiving corps are the strength of their team. Our defensive backs certainly are not our strength.

Winfield is aging and allows a lot of uncontested catches underneath.
    Griffin and Cook are coming back from knee injury.
    Allen is covering better than he used to but never seems to get his head around to find the ball, and gets pushed around easily by the receivers.

I know we need a safety to replace Williams. But like others, I would like to convert Winfield to safety and draft another CB.

Our draft and free agency moves must be directed toward countering the strengths of our opponents in the NFCN first and foremost.
    They are all passing teams.
    Time to replace Pat Williams with another penetrating type tackle instead of a pure run stopper, and upgrade the defensive backfield.

Williams out of Texas would be a good start.
    Excellent point my friend. That was one of the reasons I felt it would be a glaring need for us. I actually do not think Winfield would be as good as a safety as everyone thinks. He's a very solid tackler but I think he is made for the slot position and eventually he will be not a safety but rather a roamer, similar to Charles Woodson.
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Minnesota Vikings 2011 Needs

The Minnesota Vikings Need To Fill The Following Positions:

Quarterback - Starter Needed
    Center - Starter Needed
    Defensive End - Starter Needed (signed Robinson.. but c'mon)
    Defensive Tackle - Starter Needed
    Outside Linebacker - Starter Needed
    Strong Safety - Starter Needed
    Free Safety - Starter Needed

Positions That The Vikings Need To Add Depth:

Wide Receiver
    Offensive Tackle
    Offensive Guard
    Kicker
    Nice post my friend. My spin on it though...

Quarterback - Starter Needed - Not gonna find a starter in this draft. Looks like alot of people are saying that if we do find one, Gabbert and Locker appear to be the closest thing to starter material now and will be ready the quickest if they aren't.

Center - Starter Needed - I'm not so sure, at this point, the staff thinks so. If you look at the size of centers our O-coord has used in the past, all of our centers are about that size. Probably will go with what we have (Sully) and add a undrafted guy for depth/development but I don't see them going out and signing a vet off the streets though.

Defensive End - Starter Needed (signed Robinson.. but c'mon) - I agree, and I think we need to look at both the RDE and LDE with LDE coming first but that is only if you don't think that Griff wasn't drafted last year to fill that void.

Given that they tagged Edwards and will have him another year, that might just be the plan....Let him take reps from Ray and if he doesn't come around, then you look to fix it later.

On a side note, I really liked what Griff did in the latter games when Pagac was calling the defense.

Defensive Tackle - Starter Needed - I like Guion as a backup and eventual replacement for Kevin in the 3/5 technique. I don't like anyone (even Kevin) in the 0/3 role. Currently I don't see any Vets out there that are available that can fill that role. My guess, they will target one of the 4 (3 will be available in the first round and 2nd round) "War Pigs" to fix that issue and keep Kennedy as a backup/depth behind the young rook.

Outside Linebacker - Starter Needed - Just need to sign Erin back or plug Jasper in. Only way I see a rookie starting there is if they have one rated higher than a QB with the 12th pick.

Strong Safety - Starter Needed - Free Safety - Starter Needed - We don't play a scheme that calls for a FS or a SS. My guess is they will resign Hussain, keep M-will for another year and hope Sanford continues to improve. Long story short, they have enough young S's on the roster. Don't see them adding another one to the mix especially considering the lack of S's in this draft.

Wide Receiver - Agree. What happens with Rice might make this a "Priority" fill and if one of the top 2 fall, might cause us to use that pick for a WR. My guess though, they will target a kid like Vincent Brown or Austim Pettis in the 4th if they are available as we signed alot of WR's (Arceneaux 3 year deal/Iglesias, Brown) just prior to the CBA going defunk.

Offensive Tackle - I am not familiar with Brown, (guy they added when they added the WR's) so he might be the depth we are looking for but doubt it. LIke it or not, we are going to see Load and Big Mac on the ends for a long time. My guess, they will bring in several more UDFA's and hope they find someone that can fill the swing man role Cook did last year....

....OR.....They could try to resign Cook if he doesn't land a starter job someplace else. Kindof a 1 guy fixes 4 position (RG/LG/RT/C) guy.

Offensive Guard - Same comment as T. Just plug in DeGeare, Seth Olsen, and Thomas Welch.

Kicker - Agree. Bring in a young kid cheap who didn't get drafted. Nate Whitaker (booming Koffs, good inside 45, shacky after that), or someone of that ilk. Let the coaches develop him right along with the QB they are going to develop.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "NDVikingFan66" #1092585

Center - Starter Needed

Wide Receiver
    Offensive Tackle
    Offensive Guard
    Kicker
    Wow....we have a lot of needs

I think the only thing missing is waterboy.
    LOL! :laugh:

I'm actually happy with Sully starting at Center.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Johnson14" #1092792

Center - Starter Needed

Wide Receiver
    Offensive Tackle
    Offensive Guard
    Kicker

Me too if they plan on starting Webb at QB and taking a shot at the first pick in the draft.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Johnson14" #1092792

Center - Starter Needed

Wide Receiver
    Offensive Tackle
    Offensive Guard
    Kicker

I'm torn. Based on his frame and projections, he is best suited for the ZBing scheme. Logic would dictate, based on those two things, along with his play last year, we should move on.

Then....when I looked at what Musgrove likes at C, I'm almost convinced Sully is his type of player.

In the end, I don't think we will see a C drafted early, or at all for that matter.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

rednorsk is offline Rookie

IMHO, no QB in his right mind would want to come here to get destroyed like Favre did last year. The offensive line is VERY bad!
    None

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast