Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings 2011 draft board top 12

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1092746
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092742
    Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1092733
    I hope it will not come to that, but if the Vikings decide to go defensive end at #12 then I wouldn't be mad if we choose J.J. Watt. Not to use him at left end, but I think he might be at his best if he add some more pounds and move inside just like Kevin Williams did when he came into the league as a rookie. He has good body control for a big man and he looks very powerful and has great arm movements.
    I am not sure I would want to use the 12 spot to take a player and then swich positions though. I realize kev might have but has Watts played inside before?

At any rate it seems like between Allen.Robison and Griffen we have dedicated a fair amount of effort on the D.E and I would rather look at positions where we have a greater lack of depth.
    Yes, I agree. What I meant to say is that I hope the Vikings do not use their #12 pick at defensive end for two reasons:
    [ol]
    [li]Defensive end is not what I would call a "need". I'm expecting Ray Edwards to return and even if he doesn't I'm not scared to enter the season with Robison as the starter. We could do MUCH worse than that.[/li]
    [li]The Vikings is in a much bigger need of another defensive tackle to replace Pat Williams if we want to become the most dominant line again. Pat is old and might be gone, and the backups are okay, but not extraordinary. With a talented DT the Vikings might become even more dominating as in 2009. Yoy know what they say: it all starts up front. [/li]
    [/ol]
    ... So if we were to go defensive end why not take a guy who projects at the inside? I still think J.J. Watt is a reach (although the expert seems sold on him) but I really like the fact of having another pass rusher to pair with Kevin. The run defense would definitely suffer (Pat was one hell of a run stopper, the best we had), but the pass rush would most likely improve.

I hope it will not come to that, but I think much worse decisions could be made with the #12 pick.
    I have to admit that I am not all that well schooled on the players in the draft and especially the d line players but wouldn't there be a player available that already played inside in college who would be a better fit inside if that is where we go?

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092747
    I hope it will not come to that, but if the Vikings decide to go defensive end at #12 then I wouldn't be mad if we choose J.J. Watt. Not to use him at left end, but I think he might be at his best if he add some more pounds and move inside just like Kevin Williams did when he came into the league as a rookie. He has good body control for a big man and he looks very powerful and has great arm movements.
    I am not sure I would want to use the 12 spot to take a player and then swich positions though. I realize kev might have but has Watts played inside before?

At any rate it seems like between Allen.Robison and Griffen we have dedicated a fair amount of effort on the D.E and I would rather look at positions where we have a greater lack of depth.
    Yes, I agree. What I meant to say is that I hope the Vikings do not use their #12 pick at defensive end for two reasons:
    [ol]
    [li]Defensive end is not what I would call a "need". I'm expecting Ray Edwards to return and even if he doesn't I'm not scared to enter the season with Robison as the starter. We could do MUCH worse than that.[/li]
    [li]The Vikings is in a much bigger need of another defensive tackle to replace Pat Williams if we want to become the most dominant line again. Pat is old and might be gone, and the backups are okay, but not extraordinary. With a talented DT the Vikings might become even more dominating as in 2009. Yoy know what they say: it all starts up front. [/li]
    [/ol]
    ... So if we were to go defensive end why not take a guy who projects at the inside? I still think J.J. Watt is a reach (although the expert seems sold on him) but I really like the fact of having another pass rusher to pair with Kevin. The run defense would definitely suffer (Pat was one hell of a run stopper, the best we had), but the pass rush would most likely improve.

I hope it will not come to that, but I think much worse decisions could be made with the #12 pick.
    I have to admit that I am not all that well schooled on the players in the draft and especially the d line players but wouldn't there be a player available that already played inside in college who would be a better fit inside if that is where we go?
    I'm pretty sure that the top two inside players (Marcell Dareus and Nick Fairley) will be gone way before the Vikings get on the clock and I think most people will agree on that. After those two guys I think there's a significant drop off (only two DT's in the top 15, I called it! ) so I'd rather have a guy who's ranked higher as a end, but may possible play inside too. Although, ideally I think J.J. Watt is the best fit as a 3-4 DE.

I don't want to make it seem that I support the selection of Watt with the #12 pick, but I just wanted to say that I don't think he's as bad of a prospect as you alluded to. Then again, you might be seeing something that I'm missing...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1092749

[ol]
    [/ol]

I'm pretty sure that the top two inside players (Marcell Dareus and Nick Fairley) will be gone way before the Vikings get on the clock and I think most people will agree on that. After those two guys I think there's a significant drop off (only two DT's in the top 15, I called it! ) so I'd rather have a guy who's ranked higher as a end, but may possible play inside too. Although, ideally I think J.J. Watt is the best fit as a 3-4 DE.

I don't want to make it seem that I support the selection of Watt with the #12 pick, but I just wanted to say that I don't think he's as bad of a prospect as you alluded to. Then again, you might be seeing something that I'm missing...
    I don't know that e is a bad prospect, he just doesn't play a position that we are as lacking in talent as we are in other positions. But i get what you are saying.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092753
    Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1092749

[ol]
    [/ol]

I don't know that e is a bad prospect, he just doesn't play a position that we are as lacking in talent as we are in other positions. But i get what you are saying.
    I agree. I think we should roll with Robison and Griffen for a year and focus on other areas of need on our team. CB, C, S, DT, and WR come to mind.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Frasier actually said in a couple of interviews that he wants to improve the d-line ESPECIALLY the DT position. I think he knows that end will be nice to have but we have problems elsewhere with our line. He wants to get back to being a dominent run defense and that starts up front in the middle. Then again, this team can go in almost every direction with this pick so I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed a T, DE, DT, QB, WR, or even CB...
    None

dfosterf is offline Coach

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1091111
    Did a little more research, here is draft board for the top twelve.
    1. Cam Newton-QB-I think he's the best available and would be able to help our new run first offense right away. QB is our biggest need. Could be the second coming of Culpepper(in a good way).

2. Blaine Gabbert-QB-Like him a lot. Just below Newton IMHO but still the franchise QB we desperately need. This is my last QB on the list, if one of these guys don't fall to us I think we wait and hope for something later or in free agency.

3. Tyron Smith-T-Not a huge need, but he is too talented to pass up. Everything starts up front and adding Tyron would allow the Vikings to build around the O-line for the next decade.

4.Marcell Darius-DT- This appears to be an area of need with Pat williams retiring. We would once again have one of the most dominant D-lines in the league.

5. Nick Fairly-DE/DT- Amazing athlete, could play multiple positions on the D-line, could get to the QB up the middle.

6.DaQuan Bowers-DE- elite pass rusher.Not sure we need DE as much as DT but Bowers would instantly make us better.

7.AJ Green-WR- Best WR in the draft. Even if Rice comes back we are still weak at the position. If Rice doesn't come back it's one of our most glaring needs.

8. Von Miller-LB- Great athlete that should be a great player in the NFL. Even if we don't have a huge need now, having a player of his skill set will help us now and in the future.

9.Patrick Peterson-CB- Another great athlete. Not sure he fits our cover 2 defense, would probably do better in man, but the coaches can always use a guy with his skills.

10.Julio Jones-WR- Second best WR. It's a need and he's ranked as the 2nd best WR

11. Anthony constanzo-T- Should be very good. Could play guard. May not have a pressing need but you have to look past one year. It all starts up front.

12. Mark Ingram-RB-I know this seems crazy, we have adrian peterson and just drafted a Gerhart in the second. Still he is one of the best football players in the draft and we are going to be running alot. He'll be a playmaker, can never have too many playmakers.

The Vikings will definetly have a shot at one of these guys, and I'd be happy with any of them.
    Time to re-visit Bowers value, (if any?). If his draft stock were analagous to an airplane, right about now he'd be characterized as having "the glide-slope of a safe".

PFT- Evaluator on Bowers: "He cost himself millions"

If he's hobbling, that isn't "smoke and mirrors" pre-draft scout b.s.

Blog Entries

Damn, lets get him then. We can strike gold just like when AP dropped because of his shoulder problems.

Cha Ching......

delviking is offline Starter

not a huge fan of going DE with our first since we could get one later in the draft who'd be only slightly better if any than our current DEs. we do need at least one more to give us 4 again since i believe edwards is gone.

Id also rather get our QB to groom in the 2nd im big on Ponder especially after the first episode of Game changer that feature him and Gabbert as they have been pushing each other this whole time. Im good with Stanzi or Dalton to.

I'd personally look DT and if the DT wasnt there go O-line, it all starts up front on both sides.

I haven't looked at the DTs or O-line as much as i need to but thats the way id go, Or if say a Prince Akumura, or Peterson, Green, Jones drops there im all over that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1092853
    not a huge fan of going DE with our first since we could get one later in the draft who'd be only slightly better if any than our current DEs. we do need at least one more to give us 4 again since i believe edwards is gone.

Id also rather get our QB to groom in the 2nd im big on Ponder especially after the first episode of Game changer that feature him and Gabbert as they have been pushing each other this whole time. Im good with Stanzi or Dalton to.

I'd personally look DT and if the DT wasnt there go O-line, it all starts up front on both sides.

I haven't looked at the DTs or O-line as much as i need to but thats the way id go, Or if say a Prince Akumura, or Peterson, Green, Jones drops there im all over that.
    You just moved up a page on the old spreadsheet my friend.:laugh:

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1092853

Great post my friend.

I think when you get a chance to look at the line prospects, you will see, that O-line really starts getting value at the end of the 1rst. Might be to high to take one at 12 but you would definately have pick of the litter.

I'm currently tracking OL much the way you are DE. You can get some nice quality later in the draft especially considering that we are set at starters now, with one possible exception and thats at the Center position.

Players I like at 12:

Gabbert (should be gone)
    Newton (Should be gone)
    Locker (Could be gone)

Dareus (Should be gone)
    Farley (Should be gone - Either he or Liuget could be there at 12)
    Liuget (Could be gone - Either he or Farley could be there at 12)
    Could hope to solve DT issue at 43 if Paea or Taylor are still there, remembering of course, the teams ahead of us that are looking for QB help are also looking to find a good 0 technique NT so they might not be there as well.

Von Miller/Akeem Ayers/Mark Herzlich - Miller and Ayers will be gone. Might be to soon for Herzlich.
    If you look at 43 for a OLB, Carter, Foster and Houston could be there at 43.

Wisniewski (will be there but is it to early for a position we have 2 on the roster already)
    A guy like Dowd and Linnenkohl could be had in the 4th but they are more of a fit for teams that are looking for ZB'ing guys rather than the new scheme we will run. Pouncey, IMHO, is better suited as a G and will be taken late in the first.

AJ Green/Julio Jones (Both should be gone but if a team likes Liguet and 3 DT's are taken in the top 11 or 3 QB's go in the top 11, one could be there). This, IMHO, is the only players that could fall to us that someone would be willing to trade up for. Other than those, we will be picking at 12.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567