Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings 2011 draft board top 12

I hope it will not come to that, but if the Vikings decide to go defensive end at #12 then I wouldn't be mad if we choose J.J. Watt. Not to use him at left end, but I think he might be at his best if he add some more pounds and move inside just like Kevin Williams did when he came into the league as a rookie. He has good body control for a big man and he looks very powerful and has great arm movements.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1092733
    I hope it will not come to that, but if the Vikings decide to go defensive end at #12 then I wouldn't be mad if we choose J.J. Watt. Not to use him at left end, but I think he might be at his best if he add some more pounds and move inside just like Kevin Williams did when he came into the league as a rookie. He has good body control for a big man and he looks very powerful and has great arm movements.
    Kevin Williams was always a DT I thought?

HEY
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092734
    Not that I usually use Wikipedia as a source, but it's an easy way to find information so I'll post this from Kevin Williams' Wikipedia profile:
    In 2003, Williams was one of the top impact rookie defenders in team history and led the Vikings with 10.5 sacks, the 2nd-most sacks by a Vikings rookie behind Keith Millard's 11.0 in 1985. He was a consensus All-Rookie team honoree having started opening 12 games of the season at left defensive end and moved inside to start at nose tackle for the final 4 games.
    Kevin played both defensive end and tackle in college because of his versatility and excellent combination of speed and power. Most scouts saw him as a natural fit at left defensive end in the NFL and that's where the Vikings played him for a large part of his rookie year. He did very well on the edge, but did even better when they moved him inside. He was already a large defensive end so he only needed to gain a few extra pounds.

FYI, Kevin also played TE in high school so that's maybe a part of the reason why he has so good hands for a DT. He seems to make an interception every year.

Blog Entries

I saw that too. He was listed as a DT though I believe, since they were talking about how he could move to end and be a better end.

He played End in the 3-4 his rookie year for a while, and said he hated it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1092735
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092734
    Not that I usually use Wikipedia as a source, but it's an easy way to find information so I'll post this from Kevin Williams' Wikipedia profile:
    In 2003, Williams was one of the top impact rookie defenders in team history and led the Vikings with 10.5 sacks, the 2nd-most sacks by a Vikings rookie behind Keith Millard's 11.0 in 1985. He was a consensus All-Rookie team honoree having started opening 12 games of the season at left defensive end and moved inside to start at nose tackle for the final 4 games.
    Kevin played both defensive end and tackle in college because of his versatility and excellent combination of speed and power. Most scouts saw him as a natural fit at left defensive end in the NFL and that's where the Vikings played him for a large part of his rookie year. He did very well on the edge, but did even better when they moved him inside. He was already a large defensive end so he only needed to gain a few extra pounds.

FYI, Kevin also played TE in high school so that's maybe a part of the reason why he has so good hands for a DT. He seems to make an interception every year.
    Pretty close

Another fun fact, in 8 seasons, he has 50 pass deflections (6.25/year)
    In 9 seasons, Julius Peppers has 50 (5.55/year)
    In 12 seasons, Antoine Winfield only has 76 :woohoo: (6.3/year)

williams pass defense skills are almost as good as Winfields!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

1. CB Patrick Peterson
    2. QB Blaine Gabbert
    3. DE Robert Quinn
    4. WR AJ Green
    5. DT Marcell Dareus
    6. DT Nick Fairley
    7. OLB Von Miller
    8. WR Julio Jones
    9. DE DaQuan Bowers
    10. CB Prince Amukamara
    11. DE Ryan Kerrigan
    12. C/G Mike Pouncey

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1092739
    1. CB Patrick Peterson
    2. QB Blaine Gabbert
    3. DE Robert Quinn
    4. WR AJ Green
    5. DT Marcell Dareus
    6. DT Nick Fairley
    7. OLB Von Miller
    8. WR Julio Jones
    9. DE DaQuan Bowers
    10. CB Prince Amukamara
    11. DE Ryan Kerrigan
    12. C/G Mike Pouncey
    If that's the list I sure hope one of the top ten fall to us.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am not sure I would want to use the 12 spot to take a player and then swich positions though. I realize kev might have but has Watts played inside before?

At any rate it seems like between Allen.Robison and Griffen we have dedicated a fair amount of effort on the D.E and I would rather look at positions where we have a greater lack of depth.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

HEY
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092742
    I am not sure I would want to use the 12 spot to take a player and then swich positions though. I realize kev might have but has Watts played inside before?

At any rate it seems like between Allen.Robison and Griffen we have dedicated a fair amount of effort on the D.E and I would rather look at positions where we have a greater lack of depth.
    Yes, I agree. What I meant to say is that I hope the Vikings do not use their #12 pick at defensive end for two reasons:
    [ol]
    [li]Defensive end is not what I would call a "need". I'm expecting Ray Edwards to return and even if he doesn't I'm not scared to enter the season with Robison as the starter. We could do MUCH worse than that.[/li]
    [li]The Vikings is in a much bigger need of another defensive tackle to replace Pat Williams if we want to become the most dominant line again. Pat is old and might be gone, and the backups are okay, but not extraordinary. With a talented DT the Vikings might become even more dominating as in 2009. Yoy know what they say: it all starts up front. [/li]
    [/ol]
    ... So if we were to go defensive end why not take a guy who projects at the inside? I still think J.J. Watt is a reach (although the expert seems sold on him) but I really like the fact of having another pass rusher to pair with Kevin. The run defense would definitely suffer (Pat was one hell of a run stopper, the best we had), but the pass rush would most likely improve.

I hope it will not come to that, but I think much worse decisions could be made with the #12 pick.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast