Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings 2011 draft board top 12

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090754
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090708

I wouldn't be so shocked Skum. Alot of teams of late have made mistakes by taking a kid to appease fans instead of taking a kid that actually helps the team.

Tebow, IMHO, was one of those picks last year.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will eventually be a good QB in the league, but he sure didn't come in and lite it up like everyone seemed to think he was gonna do.

Just goes to prove that no matter how good a QB does in college, he will struggle at the next level, in almost every circumstance.
    Why are you throwing Tebow out there? I don't remember him being touted as anything except a developmental guy who would take time to learn the NFL game.The Broncos certainly didn't think he would considering they had Orton as the starter and they brought in Quinn also to add depth so there isn't much that I could see that indicated that there were expectations for him to come in a blow up the league except on maybe a few rube forums and at the evangelical churches across the country that were giddy to have a warrior for God in the NFL.
    Quick question, if the Bronco's elect to move him to TE, what then?

In the end, even though most thought he wasn't much more than a developmental guy, there was still a strong contingent who believed he would be starting within a year or two.

Truth of the matter is, I bet the current staff would jettison his butt for anything/anyone who would somehow allow them to save face right now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091115
    I am holding out hope for Hoolio Jones.
    That's who I was thinking too. I think the 9 guys I have ranked higher will all go before number 12. He's also probably the scariest pick, IMHO. Most of his hype is based on his athletic ability more so than his skillset as a wide reciever. Not to say he's the next troy williamson, but Troy Williamson moved up draft boards after the combine too.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091121
    Umm. Then I guess he is a TE.

In the end, even though most thought he wasn't much more than a developmental guy, there was still a strong contingent who believed he would be starting within a year or two.
    It's a wildcard. He may have been great and he could be a bust.I guess the risk was worth it for the Broncos coach at the time. And maybe that is why he is no longer there.

Truth of the matter is, I bet the current staff would jettison his butt for anything/anyone who would somehow allow them to save face right now.
    Probably true. That is not at all uncommon with a new regime when they start to install their own guys and their own philosophy.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090590
    Take those wrs and drop them off the board. With our qb situation, we could have andre, fitz, rice and harvin, but still not top 3500 yards. Id focus on rebuilding the lines, qb and db situation.
    Just ask Lions fans. Too bad they fired Millen
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091121
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090754
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090708

I wouldn't be so shocked Skum. Alot of teams of late have made mistakes by taking a kid to appease fans instead of taking a kid that actually helps the team.

Tebow, IMHO, was one of those picks last year.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will eventually be a good QB in the league, but he sure didn't come in and lite it up like everyone seemed to think he was gonna do.

Just goes to prove that no matter how good a QB does in college, he will struggle at the next level, in almost every circumstance.
    Why are you throwing Tebow out there? I don't remember him being touted as anything except a developmental guy who would take time to learn the NFL game.The Broncos certainly didn't think he would considering they had Orton as the starter and they brought in Quinn also to add depth so there isn't much that I could see that indicated that there were expectations for him to come in a blow up the league except on maybe a few rube forums and at the evangelical churches across the country that were giddy to have a warrior for God in the NFL.

What makes you think they don't want him on the team? Aren't you the one always complaining that fans give up on players too quick? I thought he played very well for a rookie. Had a Qb rating of 82 and had 6 rushing TD's, 2nd to only Vick amongst all Qb's despite only starting 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1091156
    Take those wrs and drop them off the board. With our qb situation, we could have andre, fitz, rice and harvin, but still not top 3500 yards. Id focus on rebuilding the lines, qb and db situation.
    The Lions who finished ahead of us last year.
    This year is rebuilding. If Wr is the best player available take it. It might not help you much this year because of the other weaknesses, but you can't fill all the holes at once.
    I'm sure the Lions are glad they took Calvin Johnson, who was the best player available, rather than reach for a need at QB(next QB off the board was Brady quinn).
    There are only so many Blue Chip athletes in each draft. If you have an opportunity to take one you have to do it.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1091158
    This year is rebuilding. If Wr is the best player available take it. It might not help you much this year because of the other weaknesses, but you can't fill all the holes at once.
    I'm sure the Lions are glad they took Calvin Johnson, who was the best player available, rather than reach for a need at QB(next QB off the board was Brady quinn).
    There are only so many Blue Chip athletes in each draft. If you have an opportunity to take one you have to do it.
    Acually, I've seen a lions forum with a bunch of people who think he's a bust. Granted this was right after the week one bears vs. lions process debacle, but the general consensus was that he wasn't worth the pick. Morons.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1091174
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1091158
    Acually, I've seen a lions forum with a bunch of people who think he's a bust. Granted this was right after the week one bears vs. lions process debacle, but the general consensus was that he wasn't worth the pick. Morons.
    Lions fans ^^

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Mine would go:
    1. Cam Newton-best upside among QBs along with leading team to a championship. Big arm, poise, and can be a leader.
    2. Patrick Peterson-could play safety or corner for us and be a difference maker.
    3. Marcel Dareus-Big and athletic and would be a perfect fit for NG on our front four
    4. AJ Green-smooth receiver that makes it look easy
    5. Nick Fairley-plays a lot like Kevin Williams in my opinion
    6. Daquan Bowers-perfect base end with big time pass rush and run stopping ability
    7. Robert Quinn-best pass rushing DE in the draft
    8. Von Miller-not really a scheme fit for us as an OLB but he is a terror off the edge and has elite athleticism
    9. JJ Watt-could play inside on pass downs with excellent size and athleticism
    10. Julio Jones-big and physical with excellent speed. (Not holding my breath on Sidney Rice coming back)
    11. Ryan Kerrigan-motor never stops, good athlete and can rush quarterback
    12. Prince Amukarama-not really a value fit for us to take a corner at our pick but we need quick help on the back end.

I don't think any of the tackles are worth the 12th pick in the draft. Not a big fan of any other QBs either: Locker has accuracy issues and was never a winner, Mallet has drug concerns and slow feet, and Blaine Gabbert was never first round productive in college playing in the pass happy big 12.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

How could you have Newton as the best player in the draft and then disregard every other QB as not worth a top 10? I understand he won a national championship and all but heck, so did Vince young, Gino Toretta, Charlie Ward, Greg McElroy if I am not mistaken and many others who never ended up being worth the spot.

He only played at Auburn 1 season and to me that is just not enough of a track record to rule out the possibility it was just a fluke. As to the rest of the picks it looks pretty good but really Newton hasn't shown anything that puts him ahead of the rest of his colleagues.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast