Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Vikings 2011 draft board top 12

11 teams pick before the Vikings, so we know the Vikings will get one of there top 12 choices. What would your draft board look like? No need to consider what anyone else will take, just the top 12 in the order you would take them.
    I really haven't studies much of these but I take a shot just to get this started
    1.Jake Locker qb
    2.Blain Gabbert QB
    3.Cam Newton QB
    4.Daquan Bowers DE
    5.Nick Fairly DE
    6.Patrick Peterson CB
    7.Marcel Darrius DT
    8. AJ Green WR
    9.von Miller LB
    10. Tyron Smith OT
    11. Anthony Costonzo OT
    12.Julio Jones WR

Like I said havn't studies the draft much, just think this is a good format for looking at the possibilities. Thoughts?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings 2011 draft board top 12

I am not sure that I am going to name many but the most likely draft picks that realistically might be available are:

Julio Jones
    Jimmy Smith
    Nate Solder.

As an outside shot maybe they would take a QB like Mallet or Locker or maybe Newton who I believe will still be on the board but will probably go later similar to the free fall Tebow and Clausen went through last year.

At the spot we pick there is less of a chance we get a guy to turn the franchise around but there will be a solid guy we can have for the rest of the decade.

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

1. you can get Locker in the 2nd round more than likely
    2. Constanzo will likely not be picked in the top 12, late first round pick.
    3.Tyron Smith will be a mid first round pick, not good for us though.
    4. if you replaced those three with Prince Amukamara (NEB), Robert Quinn (NC) and Cameron Jordan (CAL) thatd be a good top 12 list.
    5. I believe Julio Jones would be a great pick for us with us cutting Berrian and Rice potentially getting out of MN. Julio Jones could be the next great receiver of the likes of Fitzgerald, Andre/Calvin Johnson, but more of the Roddy White type. That would be a great pick up.

As I predicted earlier, (which probably won't happen), is that we try to trade out of the 12 spot into a later spot in the first, and try to grab a 3rd rd pick that we have previously lost in the process. In that case, I would love the pick of Mike Pouncey.

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Here is mine

1. AJ Green
    2. DaQuan Bowers
    3. Patrick Peterson
    4. Marcel Dareus
    5. Ryan Mallett
    6. Julio Jones
    7. Blaine Gabbert
    8. Robert Quinn
    9. JJ Watt
    10. Prince Amukamara
    11. Ryan Kerrigan
    12. Tyron Smith

Next few, for fun
    13. Nate Solder
    14. Nick Fairley
    15. Von Miller

And then a bunch of players like

Jake Locker
    Cam Jordan
    Cam Newton
    Anthony Castonzo
    Aldon Smith
    Adrian Clayboard
    Mike Pouncey
    Gabe Carimi

In no order

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

If I were to make my own "Big Board" the list would be something like this...

1. DaQuan Bowers - De - Clemson
    2. Patrick Peterson - CB - LSU
    3. Prince Amakumara - CB - Nebraska
    4. Von Miller - LB - Texas A&M
    5. Julio Jones - WR - Alabama
    6. AJ Green - WR - Georgia
    7. Marcell Darius - DT - Alabama
    8. Robert Quinn - DE - North Carolina
    9. Nick Fairley - DT - Auburn
    10. Mike Pouncey - C/G - Florida

Notables: (No Order)
    Blaine Gabbert QB, Cam Newton QB, Ryan Mallet QB, Jake Locker QB, Cameron Jordan DE, Tyron Smith OT, Stephan Paea DT, DeMarco Murray RB, Mark Ingram RB, Jonathan Baldwin WR, Titus Young WR, Akeem Ayers OLB, Torrey Smtih WR, Jimmy Smith CB, JJ Watt DE, Adrian Clayborn DE, Anthony Constanzo OT, Nate Solder OT, Ryan Kerrigan DE, Aldon Smith DE, Rahim Moore S, Aaron Williams CB/S, Brandon Harris CB,

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

I would have to say these are my top 12 picks (not in order)

1)Blaine Gabbert
    2)Marcell Dareus
    3)Da'Quan Bowers
    4)Patrick Peterson
    5)Von Miller
    6)Robert Quinn (Love this guy, not top prospect however)
    7)A.J. Green
    8)Julio Jones (Amazing receiver, in same class as Green)
    9)Nick Fairley
    10)Prince Amukamara
    11)Tyron Smith
    12)Cameron Jordan

As you can see, not all of my top 12 picks are "sexy" picks. However it does get pretty hard to classify all the draft talent especially when you only have 1 QB rated as a top 12 talent.

Everyone is so high on 2 guys at the quarterback position: Cam Newton and Ryan Mallet. Do not get me wrong, the upside of these rookies are extremely high and the sky is the limit for these guys. They have all the physical tools to be absolute studs in this league. I too was very high on these guys and I decided to do a little research on them.

Cam Newton: Love the guy I really want him to do well, but I do not see him as a NFL ready quarterback who you can "plug in to a system" as Mayock would say. Physically speaking he can be the next big thing, however he is a project and I don't think right now you can classify a development player as a top 12 talent, unless you build your offense around him (Peterson wouldn't like that idea). Overall this guy shows he can be a dual threat QB and maybe even a great QB in the NFL one day. However until then I seriously question his ability to read defenses coming from that read and run system in College built around his talent. He also has no experience playing under center but I do think he will make that transition.

Ryan Mallet: Was also my favorite Quarterback coming out of the draft. I think he is a better prospect than Cam Newton (hate the hype created with him lately). His statistics also state that this guy can play football and coming from a pro offense he definitely has potential to be a right away starter. In his interviews I don't think we can doubt that this guy really does want to win, however he does have off field issues which he really didn't address at the combine which may have or will most likely hurt his draft stock (2nd round). As a football player, he has great accuracy and arm strength on all of his throws. He does tend to make erratic mistakes and has a hard time reading defenses especially in clutch situations. When he is pressured and forced to move out the pocket he looks horrible and throws become very inaccurate and where a lot of erratic throws are made. Overall, the potential is there, however I am in serious question with his smarts, tangibles, and mobility and ability to read defenses.

Take a look at the Top 5 quarterbacks in the league (not in order/debatable).

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Aaron Rodgers
    Michael Vick

If you were to rate these guys based on qualities they all had how would you do it.

Arm Strength- Sure they do... However I do remember Tom Brady being a strong armed guy however there were many reasons he was drafted so low. And also Drew Brees saw a fall in his draft status due to size and lack of arm strength, however today he is currently one of the best deep ball passers in this league. Do remember deep balls are ultimately about timing not all arm strength.

Accuracy- I think we can all agree that all these quarterbacks except Michael Vick are considered to have great accuracy (short, medium, and deep). Even Vick looked rather accurate this year and was much more polished than he had ever been in his career.

Tangibles- They're QBs!!! They better be leaders and the guys telling those other 10 guys in the huddle to trust them. They're usually composed and all were captains (not sure about Vick).

Work Ethic- All these guys have some chip on their shoulder (literally- Brees) whether it be jail time (Vick), injuries (Brees), not winning enough? (Manning), being 6th round pick (Brady), or going from 1st overall starter to back up for 3 years behind a legend and no one really having initial faith (Rodgers). You get my point these guys work their butts off to show everyone else why they are top 5 QBs in the league.

Smarts- Absolutely! All these guys can dissect any defense any day. So many people overlook that ability to read defenses with physical traits (i.e. Newton and Mallet). How many of those quarterback really make it big time. This is to me the most important trait for a QB aside from work ethic and I think it is really overlooked. Coaches no matter how great they are, are not going to tell a QB what reads to make and who to throw to when game time comes. It comes down to a QB to call the play make the presnap read and make sure the PLAY the coach gave you is the right play. You would be surprised how many times a QB checks out of the given play (i.e. Favre 09 hate if you want he was amazing that year). Sometimes those qualities just can't be taught and its more natural then it is coaching.
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1090568
    I would have to say these are my top 12 picks (not in order)

1)Blaine Gabbert
    2)Marcell Dareus
    3)Da'Quan Bowers
    4)Patrick Peterson
    5)Von Miller
    6)Robert Quinn (Love this guy, not top prospect however)
    7)A.J. Green
    8)Julio Jones (Amazing receiver, in same class as Green)
    9)Nick Fairley
    10)Prince Amukamara
    11)Tyron Smith
    12)Cameron Jordan

As you can see, not all of my top 12 picks are "sexy" picks. However it does get pretty hard to classify all the draft talent especially when you only have 1 QB rated as a top 12 talent.

Everyone is so high on 2 guys at the quarterback position: Cam Newton and Ryan Mallet. Do not get me wrong, the upside of these rookies are extremely high and the sky is the limit for these guys. They have all the physical tools to be absolute studs in this league. I too was very high on these guys and I decided to do a little research on them.

Cam Newton: Love the guy I really want him to do well, but I do not see him as a NFL ready quarterback who you can "plug in to a system" as Mayock would say. Physically speaking he can be the next big thing, however he is a project and I don't think right now you can classify a development player as a top 12 talent, unless you build your offense around him (Peterson wouldn't like that idea). Overall this guy shows he can be a dual threat QB and maybe even a great QB in the NFL one day. However until then I seriously question his ability to read defenses coming from that read and run system in College built around his talent. He also has no experience playing under center but I do think he will make that transition.

Ryan Mallet: Was also my favorite Quarterback coming out of the draft. I think he is a better prospect than Cam Newton (hate the hype created with him lately). His statistics also state that this guy can play football and coming from a pro offense he definitely has potential to be a right away starter. In his interviews I don't think we can doubt that this guy really does want to win, however he does have off field issues which he really didn't address at the combine which may have or will most likely hurt his draft stock (2nd round). As a football player, he has great accuracy and arm strength on all of his throws. He does tend to make erratic mistakes and has a hard time reading defenses especially in clutch situations. When he is pressured and forced to move out the pocket he looks horrible and throws become very inaccurate and where a lot of erratic throws are made. Overall, the potential is there, however I am in serious question with his smarts, tangibles, and mobility and ability to read defenses.

Take a look at the Top 5 quarterbacks in the league (not in order/debatable).

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Aaron Rodgers
    Michael Vick

If you were to rate these guys based on qualities they all had how would you do it.

Arm Strength- Sure they do... However I do remember Tom Brady being a strong armed guy however there were many reasons he was drafted so low. And also Drew Brees saw a fall in his draft status due to size and lack of arm strength, however today he is currently one of the best deep ball passers in this league. Do remember deep balls are ultimately about timing not all arm strength.

Accuracy- I think we can all agree that all these quarterbacks except Michael Vick are considered to have great accuracy (short, medium, and deep). Even Vick looked rather accurate this year and was much more polished than he had ever been in his career.

Tangibles- They're QBs!!! They better be leaders and the guys telling those other 10 guys in the huddle to trust them. They're usually composed and all were captains (not sure about Vick).

Work Ethic- All these guys have some chip on their shoulder (literally- Brees) whether it be jail time (Vick), injuries (Brees), not winning enough? (Manning), being 6th round pick (Brady), or going from 1st overall starter to back up for 3 years behind a legend and no one really having initial faith (Rodgers). You get my point these guys work their butts off to show everyone else why they are top 5 QBs in the league.

Smarts- Absolutely! All these guys can dissect any defense any day. So many people overlook that ability to read defenses with physical traits (i.e. Newton and Mallet). How many of those quarterback really make it big time. This is to me the most important trait for a QB aside from work ethic and I think it is really overlooked. Coaches no matter how great they are, are not going to tell a QB what reads to make and who to throw to when game time comes. It comes down to a QB to call the play make the presnap read and make sure the PLAY the coach gave you is the right play. You would be surprised how many times a QB checks out of the given play (i.e. Favre 09 hate if you want he was amazing that year). Sometimes those qualities just can't be taught and its more natural then it is coaching.
    Hell of a post. You keep this up and you will jet up to the top of all spreadsheets my friend.

Quick question.....Do you do a mock draft?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Take those wrs and drop them off the board. With our qb situation, we could have andre, fitz, rice and harvin, but still not top 3500 yards. Id focus on rebuilding the lines, qb and db situation.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

What a great idea for a thread.

Here are my top 25.

[strike]1. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn - 6'3 - 291[/strike]
    [strike]2. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU - 6'1 - 222[/strike]
    [strike]3. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia - 6'4 - 212[/strike]
    [strike]4. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson - 6'4 - 280[/strike]
    [strike]5. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska - 6'1 - 205[/strike]
    [strike]6. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama - 6'3 - 306[/strike]
    [strike]7. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama - 6'4 - 220[/strike]
    [strike]8. Von Miller, DE, Texas A&M - 6'3 - 243[/strike]
    [strike]9. Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri - 6'5 - 235[/strike]
    [strike]10. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - 6'5 - 268[/strike]
    11. Cameron Jordan, DE, California - 6'4 - 283
    12. Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri*
    13. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa*
    14. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue*
    15. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado - 6'9 - 315
    16. Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA - 6'4 - 255
    17. J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin*
    [strike]18. Cam Newton, QB, Auburn - 6'6 - 250[/strike]
    19. Allen Bailey, DE, Miami*
    20. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College - 6'7 - 308
    21. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama - 5'10 - 215
    22. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas*
    23. Tyron Smith, OT, Southern California*
    24. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State - 6'5" - 288
    25. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin - 6'7 - 327

From my team needs thread, here are what the teams ahead of us need:

1. Carolina (2-14)
    DE, DT, OLB, OG, TE, WR, QB?
    Clausen couldn't read a defense and looked bad doing it. Both DTs are small and undertakles at that. Smith is getting old. Once Otah went down, Clausen even looked worse. Fox being gone means a TE is a need.

2. Denver (4-12)
    DE, OLB, DC, DS, TE, RB
    Switching from 3-4 to 4-3. TE help on offense. Harris at RT is always injured. RB injuries might equate to a later round pick.

3. Buffalo (4-12)
    QB, OL, OL, DL, LB, WR
    No QB worth taking early but Fitz is a good back up at best. Still trying to convert to 3-4. Bell, Wrotto and Green sucked this year so OT is a must on both ends. Evans not only needs help but is owed 8.4 Mil. Will they keep him.

4. Cincinnati (4-12)
    WR, OG, RB, DS, LB, QB
    Palmer retirement. Had only 26 sacks in 2010. What is the future of TO and Chad. Jones struggled at LB.

5. Arizona (5-11)
    QB, WR, OL, OLB, DB
    Is Skelton the guy? Brown struggled at LT, Porter and haggans combined for 10 sacks at LB, Is Faneca finally done. The combo of Keith and Bridges at RB didn't work, will DRC come back or is does he need to be replaced at CB. Maybe an upgrade at S/Help for Rhodes

6. Cleveland (5-11)
    DE, OLB, ILB, OL, WR, QB
    They need help in the front 7 to negate the offenses in their div. Maybe a late round QB.

7. San Francisco (6-10)
    QB, DE, OLB, CB, FS, WR, OT
    They have missed on QB, need something other than Sopoaga and Mcdonald to get production at the DE position, maybe a LB'r that can rush the passer, Clements is getting paid more than he produces. Gooldson is a FA and probalby isn't worth resigning because of injuries. Ginn isn't the answer next to Crabbtree and a T for depth might not hurt depending on the scheme they run.

8. Tennessee (6-10)
    QB, OG, MLB, OLB, DE, DT
    QB is the obvious need. Collins is a good vet but age is really starting to hurt his ability to play a full 16 game schedule. Harris, at LG is a FA, Tulloch (ILB) is gonna be allowed to walk. Harris and Amano don't seem to be the answer at C.Will they resign Babin at DE. Witherspoon wasn't as advertised at the Will. Hope sure didn't live up to his big contract this year making SS a need.

9. Dallas (6-10)
    CB, RT, FS, RDE, LG, SS, DL, WR
    Secondary, Columbo injury, CB and S, Roy Williams at WR won't be back. Spears is gone, and Hatcher/Bowen are FA's.

10. Washington (6-10)
    QB, RT, WR, FS, NT, OLB, ILB,C, K, P,
    Whats the plan for McNabb? I think they only signed him so they could trade him. If they can retain Moss they still need help at WR. They need production out of their OLB and ILBs, Haynesworth will be gone, Rogers and Buchanon are FA at CB. Artis hicks needs to be replaced. Rabach is 34 at C

11. Houston (6-10)
    NT, DC, OLB, DS
    Wade Phillips is bringing the 3-4 to town. This years offseason will be focused to make that transistion.

11 pick Mock -

1. Carolina (2-14) - Gabbert QB - Call me silly. Alot of talk is coming out that they are not happy with Clausen and without a pick in the second, they need to take one of the top QB's in the first.

2. Denver (4-12) - Nick Fairley, DT - Looks like the focus will be on defense as they have said they are good with Orton starting and letting Tebow learn from the bench with limited reps. Fairley can play DE in a 3-4. With the signing of Bailey they won't take Peterson (CB).

3. Buffalo (4-12) - Cam Newton, QB. Alot of talk has been said about defense for them, however, if you look at what Chan likes in a QB, Newton might be a good fit. Even though he won't start right away, he will still bring alot of hype to a team that needs to sell tickets.

4. Cincinnati (4-12) - A.J. Green, WR - I'm torn on this one. Is Carson really serious? If so, will the owner stay with history and not cave in to a players demands like he didn't with Chad? For now, I'm gonna say that the move to steel my HC (Destroyers Gruden) will be a move that might appease Carson. That and a new target to throw to will help. If Carson does retire, then look to them to take a QB here if not in the second.

5. Arizona (5-11) - Da'Quan Bowers, DE - Everything in me screams QB here, but with Gabbert and Newton gone, they will look to the FA market to solve their QB problems. Heck, I'm not convinced that the HC has time to develop a QB anyway, making a FA solution probably their only answer. Bowers, alongside Campbell, is the next best thing to winning games anways. I for one wouldn't want to try to stop these two.

6. Cleveland (5-11) - Patrick Peterson, CB - I think they want to address issues on the front seven first, but you can't pass up a cat like this. They will work the next couple of rounds on the DL/LB.

7. San Francisco (6-10) - Von Miller, DE - Another place were a QB makes sense, but unless the HC is sure one of the guys left will work, they go ahead and take Miller, shift him ot OLB in the 3-4 scheme they will run and try to get a QB in the second or 3rd.

8. Tennessee (6-10) - Marcell Dareus, DT - Yet another spot that screams QB. Locker could go here but I don't think the team will reach for him. I look for them to try to get one more year out of Collins and take the BQBA (Best QB Available) in the second. Besides, Dareus fixes thier issues on the DL and will help solve some of their LB issues just by the number of blockers he will eat up.

9. Dallas (6-10) - Prince Amukamara, CB - Jones has been talking QB, but I think that is smoke and mirrors in an effort to get one of the CB's or WR's to fall to him. Jones (WR) or one of the top T's could also be a choice here.

10. Washington (6-10) - Julio Jones, WR - I can't help but feel, for some dumb reason that they are happy with Orton, atleast for one year. They will either go out and get him a target like Jones or possibly even take Ingram (RB) here. Either one helps the offense instantly.

11. Houston (6-10) - Robert Quinn, DE - With the addition of Wade Phillips, defense will be the focus early and often. Quinn falling to them seems to make him the logical choice, but Jordon (bigger/stronger) could also be the guy the are looking at.

What does that leave the Vikes at 12.
    DE
    11. Cameron Jordan, DE, California - 6'4 - 283
    12. Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
    13. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
    14. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    OT
    20. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College - 6'7 - 308
    23. Tyron Smith, OT, Southern California
    25. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin - 6'7 - 327
    QB
    22. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    28. Jake Locker, QB
    DT
    30. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    C
    27. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida

You just tendered two DE's. Your young LDE from last year showed promise but seems to have off the field issues. Would Jordon fix that? His father was a fan favorite. Might help to appease some fan upheaval for not taking a QB here.

Is a reach for Pouncey at 12 as your new C?

How about a cat like Paea to replace Phat Pat?

Are you in love with Mallet or Locker? If you are you need to take him now cause he won't get past all the teams that pasted on QB ahead of you in the first round.

Are you happy with Load and Big Mac. If not, do you take a T here?

Looks like the staff has a quandry to me. Unlike alot of you, I don't think they will be able to move down. Way to much talent still available with no one really a standout that teams will say, "Hey, I gotta move up to get him before team X does".

In the end, as I say each and every time this time of the year.....Gonna be fun/interesting to watch how the staff handles this one.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

1. Patrick Peterson
    2. Marcell Dareus
    3. Prince Amukamara
    4. Da'Quan Bowers
    5. Cam Newton (I didn't like him before, but the way this offesason has progressed so far, I think he is like the next Tebow... He is just a winner and won't give up)
    6. Nick Fairley
    7. Robert Quinn
    8. Mike Pouncey
    9. Cameron Jordan
    10. Von Miller
    11. Nate Solder
    12. Gabe Camrimi

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast