Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings 2010 Contract Expirations

Click here to read updated info on 2010 free agents Chester Taylor, Ray Edwards, plus status on the possibly retirements of Pat Williams and Brett Favre. Posted Monday, February 15 2010

HEY
    Blog Entries

Re:Vikings 2010 Contract Expirations

Spielman said its the Vikings goal and intent to re-sign unrestricted free-agent RB Chester Taylor. Chester Taylor brings so much to this football team, Spielman said. He'??s like the unsung hero of the offense.
    Best news I've heard all week. Glad to see that the front office appreciate Chester Taylor as much as I do.

Do you think there is any chance that they could "franchise" Chester?
    I mean, the average of the top 5 RBs in the league would not kill us would it?
    Hell, I don't know. I guess it would make more sense to franchise Edwards if we are dishing out franchise tags.
    None

HEY
    Blog Entries

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Hell, I don't know. I guess it would make more sense to franchise Edwards if we are dishing out franchise tags.
    I seriously doubt that the Vikings will put the franchise tag on any player this year. I just don't see it happening.
    The running backs don't make as much money as some of the other positions, but I don't want us to pay Chester Taylor as a top 5 running back. Chester is great, but far from a top 5 running back. Chester is a also a little old.
    As for Ray Edwards, this is what the Vikings likely will do.

the Vikings could tender Jackson a one-year, $1.176 million offer.

Any team signing him would have to give up a pick in the same round that Jackson was drafted if the Vikings did not match the offer. That would be a second-rounder.
    Sounds like a super deal. Either we keep Tarvaris for a ridiculous low amount of money, or some other team takes him and we receive their 2nd round draft pick.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

HEY wrote:
    Midge Resurrected wrote:
    I seriously doubt that the Vikings will put the franchise tag on any player this year. I just don't see it happening.
    The running backs don't make as much money as some of the other positions, but I don't want us to pay Chester Taylor as a top 5 running back. Chester is great, but far from a top 5 running back. Chester is a also a little old.

Any team signing him would have to give up a pick in the same round that Jackson was drafted if the Vikings did not match the offer. That would be a second-rounder.
    Sounds like a super deal. Either we keep Tarvaris for a ridiculous low amount of money, or some other team takes him and we receive their 2nd round draft pick.
    Thanks for the read. It's nice to see the Vikings in the Driver's seat but I am concerned about Ray Edwards' comments. Saying things such as "I'm stuck here for another year" and so on. Ray came on strong in the playoffs and that is very valuable. If the Vikings do offer him that almost $4m to stay a Viking one more year why is that a problem? I know people like long term contracts but in this day and age they come and go and truth is they mean nothing unless there is guaranteed money.

Anyone would be thankful to make that much money in one year. Especially a guy like Edwards. Truth be told he's solid but right now he hasn't proven to be great or anything to that extent. I like the guy. I was a bit upset with him last year but I thought he had a good season this year. I hope he stays. The consistency on the lines are very important. He should use that one year opportunity to his advantage. Kick some ass then it will force the Vikings to lock him up or get a big contract elsewhere. At this time he certainly hasn't proven he deserves a huge contract but getting the highest tender possible is a good start imo.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

ejmat wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Midge Resurrected wrote:

Thanks for the read. It's nice to see the Vikings in the Driver's seat but I am concerned about Ray Edwards' comments. Saying things such as "I'm stuck here for another year" and so on. Ray came on strong in the playoffs and that is very valuable. If the Vikings do offer him that almost $4m to stay a Viking one more year why is that a problem? I know people like long term contracts but in this day and age they come and go and truth is they mean nothing unless there is guaranteed money.

Anyone would be thankful to make that much money in one year. Especially a guy like Edwards. Truth be told he's solid but right now he hasn't proven to be great or anything to that extent. I like the guy. I was a bit upset with him last year but I thought he had a good season this year. I hope he stays. The consistency on the lines are very important. He should use that one year opportunity to his advantage. Kick some ass then it will force the Vikings to lock him up or get a big contract elsewhere. At this time he certainly hasn't proven he deserves a huge contract but getting the highest tender possible is a good start imo.
    This is how it breaks down for any team that wants him:

Minnesota would have the right to match any offer Edwards received and if they didn't match it, the team signing him would have to give up a first- and third-round pick. That price would be far too steep for any team to pay.
    I don't feel bad for Ray...$3.168M is not a bad payday. He sounds a little bitter, but I hope he realizes that it's not the Vikings fault.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Al Davis will pull the trigger on that deal!
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The problem with this whole process is that if the Vikes do go out and offer these cats one year offers (that will be low by the way) it will do nothing but piss them off.

In the end, they should pay the players they want to keep and get rid of the ones they don't.

If they do otherwise, i.e. keeping Ray for a year at a lowball offer, he will not give 100% and will only be playing to keep himself from getting injured.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

ejmat wrote:
    ....snip.... Especially a guy like Edwards. Truth be told he's solid but right now he hasn't proven to be great or anything to that extent. I like the guy. I was a bit upset with him last year but I thought he had a good season this year. I hope he stays. The consistency on the lines are very important. He should use that one year opportunity to his advantage. Kick some ass then it will force the Vikings to lock him up or get a big contract elsewhere. At this time he certainly hasn't proven he deserves a huge contract but getting the highest tender possible is a good start imo.
    It wasn't easy shifting from RDE to LDE at this level. He clearly struggled carrying the extra weight (speed) and suffered some nagging injuries (limited progression) because of that shift.

In short, I think he has proven plenty and I think it would suprise most with respect to what he would garner on the open market.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

If only I could find that link that Ray said he was more comfortable at LDE because he played it most of college

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast