Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings 20 Million under the cap!

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    All I have to know is that Brzezinski is in charge of the coin and I can rest easy, knowing that he will get the most bang for the bucks available.
    Gotta go with Proph on this.

Not sure how we are 20 mil under the CAP.
    When I looked at it I thought we were 7 mil under.
    Ole Bryz deserves some huge props if this is correct.........
    Areas to spend in:

(Caveat:
    Of course they will all have to be coming off thier first contract as that is the norm for this FO.
    Not really into paying for older players are they?)

a. Safety.
    Get a guy that can play along side M-will and STJ for years to come.
    Will Allen (FS) out of Tampa (Cover 2) would be my number one candidate.

b. Center.
    Get a guy that knows how make correct line calls, can pull.
    Jordon Gross would be my top candidate.

c.
    MLB.
    We need depth here if none of our young guys are gonna step up.
    I know none of them did this year.
    The loss of EJ this year was huge.
    Pick up a Carl Dansby or Bart Scott could be cheap guys even though they might not fall into the catagory I listed above.

d.
    QB.
    I know, I know, who?

;D

Warner, Garcia, Collins would be the usual suspects.
    One or all will probably be tendered offers.

e.
    WR.

I like our corps but for some reason (I have myself convinced it is a health issue) they can't beat a physical CB.
    That is a issue especially when you look at the Bores and GB and how thier CB's approach the game.

Houshmandzadeh and Devery Henderson could be candidates I wouldn't mind letting one of our guys go to get on the roster.

Long story short, if we do have 20 mil.
    All isn't as bleak as I thought it was.
    I didn't think we had all that much of a drop off with the loss of EJ.. Yes, i think we played better, but our defense was still stout against the run and didn't miss many tackles regardless of whether EJ was in there or not..

I'm concerned about the RT and WR positions... these are the biggest areas we need to address besides QB IMO....

Maybe we pull off a trade or bring in a Devry, Who by the way has catching issues over his career.. We dont' need a Jordan Gross at RT but we do need someone that is a sig upgrade from cook...

$20 Miss is alot of money, but in the grad scheme of things, considering rookies and how much front loaded money guys are getting, it may not go very far, esp. if have to re-sign some of our own guys like Kleinny, Sapp, and others...

I think we're good on defense, i think we should bring Napo or D.Thomas back.. i prefer Nap...
    and J.Kennedy i think should be brought back too...

The drop off in EJ was related to the ability to cover TE's in the seam. Luckily for us we didn't face to many this year that can really expose us like the Iggles did this weekend.

Devry doesn't have a droppsie issue.
    Sure he drops a few but I sometimes think this page is over sensitized to it after T-will.
    Truth of the matter is that kid gets open deep and can make some gol 'darnit nice catches if given the chance.

How did you get Gross and RT confused?
    I want him to replace Birk.
    By the way, did anyone notice that they left Cook alone almost the whole game and he didn't screw the pooch until like the last 2 minutes when the rest of the team went to pooh and basically quite?
    Jordan Gross is a LFT or Right Tackle.... not a Center...

and I know EJ covers TE's and that's why i said we need another really athletic LB or huge athletic safety, specifically to cover TE's in the seam... or WR's that creak between our zone defenses... that stuff was killing us against the eagles

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    All I have to know is that Brzezinski is in charge of the coin and I can rest easy, knowing that he will get the most bang for the bucks available.

Areas to spend in:

(Caveat:
    Of course they will all have to be coming off thier first contract as that is the norm for this FO.

a. Safety.

b. Center.

c.
    MLB.
    Pick up a Carl Dansby or Bart Scott could be cheap guys even though they might not fall into the catagory I listed above.

d.
    QB.
    I know, I know, who?

;D

e.
    WR.

I like our corps but for some reason (I have myself convinced it is a health issue) they can't beat a physical CB.
    That is a issue especially when you look at the Bores and GB and how thier CB's approach the game.

Houshmandzadeh and Devery Henderson could be candidates I wouldn't mind letting one of our guys go to get on the roster.

I didn't think we had all that much of a drop off with the loss of EJ.. Yes, i think we played better, but our defense was still stout against the run and didn't miss many tackles regardless of whether EJ was in there or not..

I'm concerned about the RT and WR positions... these are the biggest areas we need to address besides QB IMO....

Maybe we pull off a trade or bring in a Devry, Who by the way has catching issues over his career.. We dont' need a Jordan Gross at RT but we do need someone that is a sig upgrade from cook...

$20 Miss is alot of money, but in the grad scheme of things, considering rookies and how much front loaded money guys are getting, it may not go very far, esp. if have to re-sign some of our own guys like Kleinny, Sapp, and others...

I think we're good on defense, i think we should bring Napo or D.Thomas back.. i prefer Nap...

The drop off in EJ was related to the ability to cover TE's in the seam. Luckily for us we didn't face to many this year that can really expose us like the Iggles did this weekend.

Sure he drops a few but I sometimes think this page is over sensitized to it after T-will.
    Truth of the matter is that kid gets open deep and can make some gol 'darnit nice catches if given the chance.

By the way, did anyone notice that they left Cook alone almost the whole game and he didn't screw the pooch until like the last 2 minutes when the rest of the team went to pooh and basically quite?

and I know EJ covers TE's and that's why i said we need another really athletic LB or huge athletic safety, specifically to cover TE's in the seam... or WR's that creak between our zone defenses... that stuff was killing us against the eagles
    One more time for possible penetration.......I want him to play Center......We put a Center out at RT why can't we put him in at Center?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I think we will probably go after 1 average to big name guy this offseason

Rest of the cap while saving some will go to rookies and signing our own players

Players I would look at getting first

TJ Houshmanzada
    Jordan Gross

After those 2, just look for a decent guy.. Someone worth the money, but won't send us home broke

We need a number 1 and 2 WR badly.. Berrian fits one of those roles.. Someone oppisite him would demand teams to pick their poison and would negate some of the blitz IMO

WR is the number 1 priority in my book

Berrian- Bonified starter
    Wade- Tweener.. Helps out.. More suited for slot work
    Rice- Nothing more then an athletic guy with injury issues thus far.
    Allison- Decent number 4 option
    Reynaud- expenable to make a roster spot

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=50024.msg892573#msg892573 date=1231257970]

Areas to spend in:

(Caveat:

a. Safety.

b. Center.

c.
    MLB.

d.
    QB.
    I know, I know, who?

;D

e.
    WR.

One more time for possible penetration.......I want him to play Center......We put a Center out at RT why can't we put him in at Center?
    [/quote]

That did not work for Cook! What makes you think it would work for Gross? Cook will be replaced, hopefully be Mark Tauscher. He will be available.

"marstc09" wrote:
    That did not work for Cook! What makes you think it would work for Gross? Cook will be replaced, hopefully be Mark Tauscher. He will be available.
    Keep hopin my friend.
    Sent an email to the FO pukes today.
    No more PUKER players....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    b. Center.
    We dont' need a Jordan Gross at RT but we do need someone that is a sig upgrade from cook...
    You want to take a Pro Bowl left tackle and put him at center?
    And you don't see why we shouldn't?

Okay, I'll tell you why.

First, it would never happen.
    No tackle of his caliber is going to agree to switch positions.
    It's unlikely the Panthers will let him go at all.
    But if they do, there will be plenty of teams that are willing to pay him big bucks.
    So picking between all these places, why on Earth would he pick a place that wants him to learn a new position?
    And a position to which less money is usually attached?
    Because of the nice weather in Minnesota?
    Because we've been a perennial championship contender?
    Because we have stars at both tackle spots?

Second, it wouldn't be a good idea for the Vikes.
    Do we know if he's ever snapped a ball in his life?
    He was a tackle in college at Utah, and has played right and left tackle in the pros (both very well).
    So he'd have to learn that.
    Not very hard, except that our six-time Pro Bowl center managed to botch two key snaps in the past three weeks.
    And then you talk about wanting someone that knows how to make the correct line calls.
    Has he been doing this in Carolina?
    Or at Utah?
    So Birk is too much of an idiot to figure it out over ten years, but we know Gross could step right in?
    Even if he could become a great center, you'd be wasting a great tackle.
    There's a reason it's a premium position - it's more important to the run game and the pass game than the center position.

I'd love to see them bring in Gross.
    It probably won't happen.
    But if it did, he would either step into the left or right tackle spot.
    If it were right tackle, it wouldn't be because McKinnie is a better player.

Anyway, good to hear the Vikes have that much cap space.
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the labor agreement as well, as that could severely impact the free agent market.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=50024.msg892582#msg892582 date=1231259781]
    b. Center.
    We dont' need a Jordan Gross at RT but we do need someone that is a sig upgrade from cook...

Okay, I'll tell you why.

But if they do, there will be plenty of teams that are willing to pay him big bucks.
    So picking between all these places, why on Earth would he pick a place that wants him to learn a new position?

He was a tackle in college at Utah, and has played right and left tackle in the pros (both very well).
    Not very hard, except that our six-time Pro Bowl center managed to botch two key snaps in the past three weeks.
    And then you talk about wanting someone that knows how to make the correct line calls.
    Or at Utah?
    So Birk is too much of an idiot to figure it out over ten years, but we know Gross could step right in?
    There's a reason it's a premium position - it's more important to the run game and the pass game than the center position.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the labor agreement as well, as that could severely impact the free agent market.
    [/quote]
    We took a center and put him out at RT without ever taking a snap there and he hasn't done that bad.

Of course they aren't gonna let Gross go, and of course if we did sign him it would be to play C.
    Doesn't stop me from wanting them to bring him in and give it a try.
    Whats the worst that can happen?
    Move him to T
    :

Housh and Rosenfels? Might work.
    It's too bad that NE is going to tag Cassel. It's really not fair to him, and they're only doing it in case Brady goes down again. Then again, our offense is far different than Belichik's and Cassel might flop. Which QB would be best in our west coast system?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=bleedpurple link=topic=50024.msg892590#msg892590 date=1231260468]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=50024.msg892582#msg892582 date=1231259781]
    b. Center.

Okay, I'll tell you why.

Or at Utah?

[/quote]
    We took a center and put him out at RT without ever taking a snap there and he hasn't done that bad.

Of course they aren't gonna let Gross go, and of course if we did sign him it would be to play C.
    Doesn't stop me from wanting them to bring him in and give it a try.
    Whats the worst that can happen?
    Move him to T
    :
    [/quote]

Look, you can speculate or want whatever.
    But I have to nip this in the bud.
    Otherwise, you'll be posting this idea for the next two months and some people will start to agree with you.

So, the first point above wasn't only that we shouldn't do it just because we probably can't sign him anyways.
    The point was also that trying to move him to center would actually make it less likely that we signed him.
    Well, I don't know if it's the worst, but it would be pretty bad to see him end up in Detroit, Chicago, or Green Bay because we wanted him to learn a new position.

What's the worst thing that could happen if we did sign him?
    Well, we could end up without a proven center.
    Then after trying to teach Gross the position for three months and failing, we end up with Sullivan or Cook being thrown in there without adequate preparation.

I personally think we should re-sign Birk.
    But if the team is ready to go with someone else, that's fine.
    If you want someone else at center, go ahead and cheer for it.
    But please think about the minds of the young readers, and how these ideas might corrupt them.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Overlord" wrote:
    ....Look, you can speculate or want whatever.
    But I have to nip this in the bud.
    Otherwise, you'll be posting this idea for the next two months and some people will start to agree with you.
    lol, you are onto him.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast