Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings 1st Draft Pick Makes You Ponder

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096263
    I'll re-iterate. THe #1 Objective of the Tampa-2 is to force turnovers.

for some odd reason, that isn't happening here.

(but seriously, check out that link, it is quite excellent, not sure if it's actually from an NFL coach, or geared towards HS coaches or what.
    Something we agree on. Problem is, your looking at the DB's to make those turnovers happen, when in fact, its the pressure from the front 4 that makes it happen.

You want DB's to get the INT's you need to either....

a) Draft shut down CB's. We all know there aren't enough of them to go around or the C2/T2 wouldn't have had to be invented.

b) Force the QB to make bad throws by getting in his face/pressuring him.

Take a look at Item 1, page 3. "Pressure up front and reading QB in your zones will lead to interceptions.

Been preaching that on here for years. It all starts up front. They put on the pressure, the LB'r and DB's drop into their zones or route a reciever into a zone.

Take a look at Item 4, page 3. "Don't give up the big play". That equates to keep the reciever in front of you, allow him to catch the ball but tackle him as soon as he does.

Best way to give up a deep pass is to get beat by a guy as you go for the INT. This is especially damaging if your blitzing a LB and one of your S's has to drop into that zone. Now your singled up with your CB with no help over the top.

All staples of the C2 or T2 schemes.

Take a look at item 8, page 3. "Stop the run and don't give up the big play"

Again, starts with the Bigs up front of having the responsibility of making the tackle, not the S as you always want to harp on. That kid is doing the follow-on part of that line/item.....

"Don't give up the big play".
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096265
    So first you talk to me about muddying the water with facts and then you go out and do the same thing yourself.......
    LOL, but he just shot himself in the foot. He posted actual scheme stuff that says exactly what I've been saying about the C2/T2 since I've been on here.

Again, if you want to see lots of INT's you have to either change the scheme or start getting to the QB with your bigs up front thereby forcing him to make bad throws.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096269
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096263
    I'll re-iterate. THe #1 Objective of the Tampa-2 is to force turnovers.

for some odd reason, that isn't happening here.

(but seriously, check out that link, it is quite excellent, not sure if it's actually from an NFL coach, or geared towards HS coaches or what.
    Something we agree on. Problem is, your looking at the DB's to make those turnovers happen, when in fact, its the pressure from the front 4 that makes it happen.

You want DB's to get the INT's you need to either....

a) Draft shut down CB's. We all know there aren't enough of them to go around or the C2/T2 wouldn't have had to be invented.

b) Force the QB to make bad throws by getting in his face/pressuring him.

Take a look at Item 1, page 3. "Pressure up front and reading QB in your zones will lead to interceptions.
    Yes, hence why I said, I'd rather have four pass rushers than a Pat Williams
    It's why I said I'd rather give up a bit against the run to improve the pass defense.
    You're putting more words in my mouth, this discussion had nothing to do with DB's until you brought it up. Yes, the DB play needs to improve, as does the DL.

However, when we play man coverage, we still get beat. Our guys aren't great cover guys, Griffen is by far the best, and he's questionable to return to strength.

Take a look at Item 4, page 3. "Don't give up the big play". That equates to keep the reciever in front of you, allow him to catch the ball but tackle him as soon as he does.
    Or, it equates to exactly what it says, don't give up the big play. If you're out of position, don't do something stupid like go for the pick, miss and let up a big gain. Then again, it doesn't mean if you have a good break on the ball, don't take it.

Best way to give up a deep pass is to get beat by a guy as you go for the INT. This is especially damaging if your blitzing a LB and one of your S's has to drop into that zone. Now your singled up with your CB with no help over the top.
    Or get beat over the middle, and our safeties would rather sodomize a razor pit than try and tackle him, that seems to be a common trend too.

Take a look at item 8, page 3. "Stop the run and don't give up the big play"

Again, starts with the Bigs up front of having the responsibility of making the tackle, not the S as you always want to harp on. That kid is doing the follow-on part of that line/item.....
    Starts with, yes. But on a pitch, sorry, most DT's aren't going to make it outside to run down a RB. The safeties and Corners however can, and have to.

Did you notice the part about one gap responsibility? Inside the OL, each Lineman and LB has a gap, who does what depends onthe play called, but everyone has a gap responsibility. You know what? that includes the safeties. If a guy is running off tackle, that's a gap. If a guy is running a pitch, that's a gap. Everyone has a job to fill in, and our safeties had done a sub-par job at doing that.
    "Don't give up the big play".
    That includes on the ground too.

Don't wind up for the big hit, don't arm tackle, don't try and strip if you're the last line of defense.

it also means, if your DL is struggling and the QB has time, you have to stick with the deep man, don't let up the easy catch.

Big play isn't limited to yardage either. FOurth and four is a big play. Objective is to limit them to 3.99 yards at most. anything more is a big play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096270
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096265
    So first you talk to me about muddying the water with facts and then you go out and do the same thing yourself.......
    LOL, but he just shot himself in the foot. He posted actual scheme stuff that says exactly what I've been saying about the C2/T2 since I've been on here.

Again, if you want to see lots of INT's you have to either change the scheme or start getting to the QB with your bigs up front thereby forcing him to make bad throws.
    Shot myself in the foot indeed. Only you could take what I posted and twist it into something you believe supports your side of the story.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

All I know is that they better bring in a Witch Doctor,Priest, Rabbi and who ever else they need to get that bad karma off that #7 Jersey.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Garland Greene" #1096321
    All I know is that they better bring in a Witch Doctor,Priest, Rabbi and who ever else they need to get that bad karma off that #7 Jersey.
    give him #17 just to be safe

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096323
    give him #17 just to be safe
    Does that number come with a free snickers endorsement?

singersp is online now PPO Newshound

And there it starts to brew.....

If Ponder doesn't do well wearing #7, look for Jackson to be blamed because he wore the number last. :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096643

If Ponder doesn't do well wearing #7, look for Jackson to be blamed because he wore the number last. :P

Not sure who would do that. Are you referring to yourself?

I know that in my case he will be judged by how he plays on the field and not what his jersey number is, how his stats compare to any other QB in the history of the NFL or even his W/L record. Just by how he plays and how he commands the offense.

singersp is online now PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096666
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096643

Not sure who would do that. Are you referring to yourself?

I know that in my case he will be judged by how he plays on the field and not what his jersey number is, how his stats compare to any other QB in the history of the NFL or even his W/L record. Just by how he plays and how he commands the offense.
    Nope.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345