Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings 1st Draft Pick Makes You Ponder

In case the Vikings' first draft pick of 2011 makes you ponder... sorry, I just couldn't resist using that wordplay

5 Points To Ponder On Vikings Top Pick
    Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 28, 2011

1. Assessing Ponderís value at pick #12
    My first reaction, and most of you, was that the Vikings reached for Ponder. Then I slept on it, read some on it, and concluded that it's not the pick itself that's bad, but rather where he was picked.

Then again, rumors has it that other teams not far behind the Vikings were going to draft Ponder. For example, the Redskins traded out of 10 (even with Gabbert on the board) to 16 because they thought the Vikings didn't have the guts to draft Ponder at 12.

In the end, it all boils down to what some of you already has mentioned: If the Vikings finds a QB they believe is "their guy" then they should take him. Us fans need to trust the organization's decision because they know Ponder much better than we do.

2. An ideal fit in the Vikings offensive scheme
    Ponder might very-well be the most pro-ready QB in the draft. He was a pass first QB in a pro-like offense and took many snaps under center. He's intelligent, a leader, and a fast learner. He has good height at nearly 6'3" and even better build at 230 pounds. Ponder is accurate in both the pocket and on the run (almost 70 % completion rate in '09) and shows great feet and pocket presence.

From an interview with Ponder:
    Q: What is it about (Bill) Musgraveís system that makes you think youíre a good fit?

A: Itís funny, when we were talking, sitting in the meeting room down in Tallahassee we were going over a lot of the same concepts that he did, it was the same stuff we did at Florida State. I mean we ran a lot of the same plays, did a lot of the same pass protections and so it was very similar and that gives me a lot of confidence in coming into this role right now.
    Q: What is it that you did on the field that makes people say you are one of the more pro-ready quarterbacks in this draft?

A: I was very involved. Jimbo Fisher who was our head coach was also our offensive coordinator and he put a lot of responsibility on us as a quarterback and with the mike calls on pass protections. We go up with two or three plays to the line to check to depending on what the defense showed me and made sure every run play we had it was run check so I had to make a lot of my own calls and get us into certain plays in certain looks and did a lot of stuff in gun and a lot of stuff under center so I think that put me in advantage of the other guys, having that preparation and doing it already at the college level.
    Ponder might be the closest thing to Peyton Manning in the draft.

3. Intelligence and passion
    Forget Newton and Mallett! Christian Ponder has no off-field issues. He is a first class citizen with extraordinary work ethics. He is a leader and a fast learner both off and on the field. Ponder is also though as he played through pain and injury in his throwing arm and still passed for 20 TD's and only 8 INT's last year.

4. An experienced, senior QB with a lot of wins
    The kid's a winner who wants to be on the field. Injury and durability is the only real knock on him. Wait a second! Is that not the same thing they said about Adrian Peterson?

5. Athleticism
    Ponder surprised scouts as he ran the fastest 20-yard shuttle for a QB at the NFL Combine which displays quick feet and excellent body balance. He also runs a 4,6 in the 40-yard dash which is fast for a QB. Knowing that Ponder has the ability to make plays with his feet is a nice bonus that most people doesn't know about him since he was used primarily as a pocket passer i college. I'd much rather have a pocket QB with the ability to run than vice versa.

Also, his arm strength is underrated. Some people think he has a weak arm, but the fact is that he actually has an above average QB arm. He can make all the throws if he wants to.

---

I hope this made some of you sleep a little better! Personally, I'm excited to see this guy play because I see a lot of good things from him and I believe he could start this season. If one QB for this draft can, it's Christian Ponder!

HEY
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings 1st Draft Pick Makes You Ponder

Ops... forgot to post this video! Link: Spielman Presser

I recommend to watch it (at least the first half) as Rick Spielman addressed the media after the Vikings' first round selection.

VikingsMB is offline Pro-Bowler

Can you imagine the purple outcry if we did not draft a QB only to have the house cleaned at the top of the 2nd round...and no draft currencies? All day yesterday I kept shaking my head as the purple outliers questioned the pick. If we did not have the currency to reach up and grab Gabbert, there was no currency there to reach and grab a higher second pick. I may go out and get my kids #7 Vikes jersey rebranded. Much better pick 2 days later!

HEY
    Blog Entries

Honestly, the only really bad part about selecting Ponder was that the Lions got Nick Fairley with the next pick. I'm not looking forward to be playing that D-line. Poor Ponder/Webb/whoever-QB-we-bring-in!

Chazz is offline Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1095735
    Honestly, the only really bad part about selecting Ponder was that the Lions got Nick Fairley with the next pick. I'm not looking forward to be playing that D-line. Poor Ponder/Webb/whoever-QB-we-bring-in!
    lol..yeah it could be ugly, but Fairley has pretty high bust potential on him...he is definitely no Ndamukong Suh, who played in college at a level I've only seen before by Warren Sapp(who we chose to pass on)

Quote Originally Posted by "VikingsMB" #1095592
    I may go out and get my kids #7 Vikes jersey rebranded.
    Just get some purple duct tape and some white duct tape for the name. it worked like a charm on my #81 Koren Robinson jersey haha

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Some stuff I pulled from Fox Sports, SI, CBS, CDS Profootball Weekly etc.

Round 1, Pick 12 (12)Christian Ponder QB 6'2" 229

"Biography: Three-year starter who totaled 61.5%/2044/20/8 as a senior when he struggled late in the year with an elbow injury. Junior totals included 68.8%/2717/14/7. Suffered a season-ending shoulder injury nine games into the season.

Positives: ""Smart, poised pocket passer with terrific awareness. Patient, displays a sense of timing, and hits receivers as they leave their breaks. Stands strong in the pocket, throws a catchable ball, and puts touch on passes when necessary. Has adequate arm strength and throws the out patterns well. Senses pressure, steps up to avoid it, and knows where his receivers are on the field. Looks away from cover targets and goes to secondary receivers. Terrific job commanding and controlling the offense. Flashes the ability to place passes where only his receiver has a chance at the ball. Mobile and can get outside the pocket to make throws on the move.""

Negatives: Off the mark when he tries to get extra speed on throws. Cannot drive the deep pass. Long throws tend to float and hang. Struggled with injuries two consecutive seasons.

Analysis: ""Ponder is a thinking man's quarterback with terrific intangibles and leadership skills. His physical ability is adequate for the next level, but the injuries that have mounted the past two years and his lack of durability makes him a risk. Ponder watched his draft stock drop in 2010 but he will get a chance to make an impact at the next level because of his physical and mental attributes.""

Projection: 2nd"

Pick Analysis: The Vikings surprisingly nab Ponder with their first-round pick. He has all of the leadership skills, intelligence and intangibles to be an effective starting quarterback, but the Vikings will need to tweak their offense to suit his skills as a quick-rhythm passer. He might not be ready to assume the mantle in Week 1, but he could be better than anyone anticipates as a pro quarterback.

"What he brings: Ponder has had problems staying healthy and there are concerns about his durability going forward, but he has had the opportunity to show his toughness and there is a lot to like about his willingness to play through pain. He doesn't have the strongest arm and will have some trouble driving the ball downfield, but he does an excellent job of anticipating and delivering the ball in stride on short-to-intermediate routes. He is also light on his feet and can buy time within the pocket.

How he fits: One of the big questions regarding the Vikings was whether they would go the veteran QB route or bite the bullet and start over with a rookie -- and we still don't know the answer, despite this pick. Right now, with Tarvaris Jackson and Brett Favre gone and Joe Webb unproven this is an offense that simply can't line up at QB. Is Ponder the immediate answer? Will the Vikings still go out and try to get a veteran to bridge the gap? Bill Musgrave is the new coordinator and he will run a West Coast offense that emphasizes the run with Adrian Peterson and his philosophy will emphasize rollouts, bootlegs, half reads and play-action -- all things Ponder can do well."

"CZAR'S FRONT OFFICE TAKE: The Vikings were stunned with Locker and Gabbert off their board, but GM Rick Spielman, who watched all the rookie quarterbacks, predicted that seven would go before they picked in the second round (43th overall). So, they rolled the dice with Florida State quarterback 6-foot-2 Christian Ponder over TCUís Andy Dalton. Ponder is equipped to run the West Coast offense, but many teams had him at the bottom of the round or later in the second round. But like I said, Spielman didnít believe Ponder would be there in the second round. This is the first stunner in the first round. But Bill Musgrave likes Ponder and believes he can coach him up to be effective this season. Remember, the Vikings could be in the running to acquire Washington quarterback Donovan McNabb. That would be a solid move before Ponder is ready to play. We all know that Minnesota is not sold on Joe Webb as their quarterback of the future. Let the competition begin!

CAPLAN'S ANALYSIS: Ponder was one of the top quarterbacks available for this draft, but it was surprise to some personnel evaluators that Minnesota didnít trade back. However, because so many teams are in need of help at quarterback, the Vikings probably felt that they couldnít take the chance of trading down and missing out on him. Look for the Vikings to sign a veteran quarterback to compete for the starting job this season, but Ponder should be in the mix right away as well."

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: GM Rick Spielman and coach Leslie Frazier desperately needed a new franchise quarterback with Brett Favre moving on. Ponder is a great fit for Bill Musgrave's West Coast offense. A strong Senior Bowl and pro-day workouts elevated his draft stock. The biggest challenge for Ponder could be staying healthy, having been snake bitten by injuries in college
    In the end, I really liked the pick especially after you look at who was actively scouting him (Deadskins at 16). Miami at 15 and Seattle at 25 probably would have taken him as well.

Were he was drafted aside, I think we finally have our Franchise QB. Now we just have to resign his big target Rice and get him on the field.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095759
    Some stuff I pulled from Fox Sports, SI, CBS, CDS Profootball Weekly etc.

Round 1, Pick 12 (12)Christian Ponder QB 6'2" 229

"Biography: Three-year starter who totaled 61.5%/2044/20/8 as a senior when he struggled late in the year with an elbow injury. Junior totals included 68.8%/2717/14/7. Suffered a season-ending shoulder injury nine games into the season.

Positives: ""Smart, poised pocket passer with terrific awareness. Patient, displays a sense of timing, and hits receivers as they leave their breaks. Stands strong in the pocket, throws a catchable ball, and puts touch on passes when necessary. Has adequate arm strength and throws the out patterns well. Senses pressure, steps up to avoid it, and knows where his receivers are on the field. Looks away from cover targets and goes to secondary receivers. Terrific job commanding and controlling the offense. Flashes the ability to place passes where only his receiver has a chance at the ball. Mobile and can get outside the pocket to make throws on the move.""

Negatives: Off the mark when he tries to get extra speed on throws. Cannot drive the deep pass. Long throws tend to float and hang. Struggled with injuries two consecutive seasons.

Analysis: ""Ponder is a thinking man's quarterback with terrific intangibles and leadership skills. His physical ability is adequate for the next level, but the injuries that have mounted the past two years and his lack of durability makes him a risk. Ponder watched his draft stock drop in 2010 but he will get a chance to make an impact at the next level because of his physical and mental attributes.""

Projection: 2nd"

Pick Analysis: The Vikings surprisingly nab Ponder with their first-round pick. He has all of the leadership skills, intelligence and intangibles to be an effective starting quarterback, but the Vikings will need to tweak their offense to suit his skills as a quick-rhythm passer. He might not be ready to assume the mantle in Week 1, but he could be better than anyone anticipates as a pro quarterback.

"What he brings: Ponder has had problems staying healthy and there are concerns about his durability going forward, but he has had the opportunity to show his toughness and there is a lot to like about his willingness to play through pain. He doesn't have the strongest arm and will have some trouble driving the ball downfield, but he does an excellent job of anticipating and delivering the ball in stride on short-to-intermediate routes. He is also light on his feet and can buy time within the pocket.

How he fits: One of the big questions regarding the Vikings was whether they would go the veteran QB route or bite the bullet and start over with a rookie -- and we still don't know the answer, despite this pick. Right now, with Tarvaris Jackson and Brett Favre gone and Joe Webb unproven this is an offense that simply can't line up at QB. Is Ponder the immediate answer? Will the Vikings still go out and try to get a veteran to bridge the gap? Bill Musgrave is the new coordinator and he will run a West Coast offense that emphasizes the run with Adrian Peterson and his philosophy will emphasize rollouts, bootlegs, half reads and play-action -- all things Ponder can do well."

"CZAR'S FRONT OFFICE TAKE: The Vikings were stunned with Locker and Gabbert off their board, but GM Rick Spielman, who watched all the rookie quarterbacks, predicted that seven would go before they picked in the second round (43th overall). So, they rolled the dice with Florida State quarterback 6-foot-2 Christian Ponder over TCUís Andy Dalton. Ponder is equipped to run the West Coast offense, but many teams had him at the bottom of the round or later in the second round. But like I said, Spielman didnít believe Ponder would be there in the second round. This is the first stunner in the first round. But Bill Musgrave likes Ponder and believes he can coach him up to be effective this season. Remember, the Vikings could be in the running to acquire Washington quarterback Donovan McNabb. That would be a solid move before Ponder is ready to play. We all know that Minnesota is not sold on Joe Webb as their quarterback of the future. Let the competition begin!

CAPLAN'S ANALYSIS: Ponder was one of the top quarterbacks available for this draft, but it was surprise to some personnel evaluators that Minnesota didnít trade back. However, because so many teams are in need of help at quarterback, the Vikings probably felt that they couldnít take the chance of trading down and missing out on him. Look for the Vikings to sign a veteran quarterback to compete for the starting job this season, but Ponder should be in the mix right away as well."

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: GM Rick Spielman and coach Leslie Frazier desperately needed a new franchise quarterback with Brett Favre moving on. Ponder is a great fit for Bill Musgrave's West Coast offense. A strong Senior Bowl and pro-day workouts elevated his draft stock. The biggest challenge for Ponder could be staying healthy, having been snake bitten by injuries in college
    In the end, I really liked the pick especially after you look at who was actively scouting him (Deadskins at 16). Miami at 15 and Seattle at 25 probably would have taken him as well.

Were he was drafted aside, I think we finally have our Franchise QB. Now we just have to resign his big target Rice and get him on the field.
    When I was listening to Pat Kirwan on Friday discuss the Ponder pick he was saying if the Vikes were to move down he felt the Rams pick was probably as far as they could go and still safely get him. I'm not so sure the Fins had him targeted in the first that high and that Sparano would have been happy with pulling the trigger on a QB for the next coach of the team (base on the way he was treated in the off season). I think Tony wanted/needs impact players now, but its hard to say if he would have jumped back in to try and get him if he clear the Skins and a head of the Seahawks.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nfcnorth&id=26449

I think this is is a very good, educated (given his experience with the Vikes) summary by Kevin Seifert. All of us that like Ponder could be wrong, but, I am optimistic that, ultimately, we can win with this kid. A friend of mine (former NFL QB and League MVP) "likes the kid" and thinks his intangibles, leadership, accountability, intelligence and toughness are perfect for VikingNation. The same friend said TJ will never be a successful starter...

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Why do we have/need two Christian Ponder threads?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast