Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

Vikes09 Prospect Analysis

As official as the title sounds, it's really just me taking out my boredom on the draft thats 46 days and 19 hours away. Anyways, here are some prospects that interest me…..cause it’s all about me……here we go…

Dwayne Bowe- WR- LSU
    Despite the rumor that he isn’t the tallest guy out on the field, he was the 3rd or 4th tallest WR at the Senior Bowl, and he was the biggest of the WRs at 222 pounds. His senior bowl practices, for the little bit I had a chance to watch on NFL network, were very impressive, and he is a guy that I hope we can pick up in the early 2nd round or move down in the 1st.

Here are nfldraftcountdown.com’s notes on him:
    Did not play football until his junior year of high school...Underwent LASIK surgery on his eyes in the off-season prior to the '06 season to correct his vision in hopes that it would help to eliminate some of the dropped balls that “plagued” him...Was JaMarcus Russell’s go-to receiver...Seems to be getting better every year and still has a lot of upside.

Bowe's stats
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146735
    Article on Draft's WR
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-widereceivers022007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Overall, most people on purplepride.org and the Viking faithful in general have a sour taste in their mouth over our last first round pick Troy Williamson and the dropped balls he has distastefully brought with him. Bringing in another guy with a trouble of dropping balls seems like the last kind of person that front office would want to come to the purple and gold, but I like Bowe (hopefully that LASIK surgery worked!) as a prospect, and he really shined this year with very good stats at a very good school.

Side note: I went back to re-watch the LSU vs. Arkansas game, and there was a drive at the end of the 1st quarter where he just DOMINATED. I mean all-Bowe all the time! It was very impressive, and really sold me on Bowe being a very good draft prospect we could pick up early in the late 1st, early 2nd.

Patrick Willis- LB- Ole Miss
    A LB? Yes, a linebacker, and a good one at that, IMO. I think the first thing that attracted me to him was his “feel good” story I read on SI or ESPN, but when looking past his up-standing character (which is something BC has obviously been looking at in players for Zygi’s organization) he is a beast on the field. He ended up with 137 tackles this year and 3 sacks. The cover 2 defense (if we stay with that scheme) needs a “derrick brooks”-esque type linebacker that can make big plays and play solid. I’m sorry, but Napoleon Harris isn’t the MLB that I want to complement EJ Henderson and Ben Leber and Greenway. Leber played exceptionally well, but EJ doesn’t seem like that caliber player, or at least the ability to be that caliber of player.

Video highlights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqadSMQm5o
    Patrick Willis' combine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAyP6vn8ADA&mode=related&search

Gaines Adams- DE- Clemson
    Gaines is supposed to be one of, if not the, top pass rushing DE in the draft. The pass rush for the Vikes was anything but impressive last, especially with Kenechi Udeze not even registering a single sack through an entire year and Erasmus James getting hurt. Kevin and Pat Williams (who is getting up there in age) can only do so much, but if we do select Adams, he will be the 4th D-linemen to be selected in the 1st round which is very lions-esque. Our secondary was regularly getting torched, but like most people I think it was because of the lack of pressure. I think a DE, however nice it would be to have a pass rushing DE, wouldn’t be needed in the 1st round unless he was the BPA. With our new defensive coordinator being blitz oriented or at least some-what aggressive I think that pressure will be applied regardless. As always though, if you can apply pressure with the d-line, that can mean so much for a defense.

Here are some notes on Gaines Adams:
    An outstanding athlete...Extremely quick and agile with very good speed...Has a tremendous first step and a great burst to close...Has very long arms and uses his hands well...Has the frame to get bigger and develop physically...Looks fluid when dropping into coverage...A terror in opponents backfields and just seems to have a knack for getting to the quarterback...Productive and disruptive...Versatile and also has the ability to play outside linebacker for a 3-4 team at the pro level. Does not have the ideal bulk you look for and needs to add some weight...Does not play the run nearly as well as he does the pass...Needs to get stronger...Can play with better pad level and leverage...Struggles when blockers are able to lock on...Might be a bit of a DE / OLB 'tweener...Becomes somewhat one-dimensional at times...Will get overly aggressive and run himself out of plays.

Bio on Adams, and Combine info.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikes09 Prospect Analysis

Nice work sir.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

wow now that was an informative post ...thank you!

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I can totally back up the statements on Bowe - he pissed me off his first three years here (I am in graduate school at LSU) - he was legally blind before the surgery.
    He went from Williamson-esque frustrating to an absolute clutch reciever; Russel would just throw the ball his way; he got open and caught anything near him.

He's a late 1st/early 2nd talent but I don't believe he'll see the 2nd round based on his media hype.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

some mocks have bowe going as early as i think like 11.
    all those wr's vary slot depending on the analyst.
    just lets hope we find the diamond, cuz odds are all these guys are not gonna become studs.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    I can totally back up the statements on Bowe - he pissed me off his first three years here (I am in graduate school at LSU) - he was legally blind before the surgery.
    He went from Williamson-esque frustrating to an absolute clutch reciever; Russel would just throw the ball his way; he got open and caught anything near him.

He's a late 1st/early 2nd talent but I don't believe he'll see the 2nd round based on his media hype.
    it's nice to hear from an actual LSU fan confirming about bowe.

bigbadragz, most mocks i have seen have him going from late 1st (around 24th) to very early 2nd, but from what i have read and what ThorSPL said he should end up going fairly early.

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

yah i like him, he reminds me of like an andre johnson with that big body.
    he's actually the guy i like next after calvin johnson.
    but 7 is too early and i dont believe he'll be around in the 2nd round.
    our best shot is to trade down some but will there be any takers
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ThorSPL" wrote:

Too bad...because I would LOVE to see him in purple and gold if we could get him with our second rounder!

Of course, the only thing better would be if we drafted Early Doucet NEXT year!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe we could draft Adams and MOVE UP to get Bowe in the late first round...that is, unless we can move up to grab Calvin first!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Maybe we could draft Adams and MOVE UP to get Bowe in the late first round...that is, unless we can move up to grab Calvin first!
    it's frustrating seeing Calvin Johnson being just out of the vikes grasp. dang it childress for not doing worse!

adrian peterson would also be a phenomenal pick, and it'd be pretty cool to see chestor and peterson in the same backfield, but having a top DE is pretty tantalizing.

another draft day move i would love to see is moving down, aquiring more picks, and selecting justin blalock from texas. A 320 lb. stud RG from a great texas program would sure help fix our weakest position on the line (argueably besides a RT).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast